Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
desertfox86

Waghorn

The difference with these two is that with Beckford, it was a once in a blue moon thing - since Waghorn's come back into the side, he's been getting better and better and he's getting consistent. It's almost at the point where I think he's playing a lot better now than when he was on loan with us.

Ithink you might be right. Amazing, this game we all love so much, for turning things upside down ! After the forest game, if I was the manager, I think I probably would have given him a rest. Right now, I'm feeling the same way about JV. One of the big differences, in my perception, (and we all only see stuff that backs up our starting premise), is that through his tought time, Waggy never stopped shooting. My concern with JV is that he has started to find reasons to pass when he could shoot. It's that self-belief piece that is a worry. It's okay for everyone else to doubt you - as long as you don;lt doubt yourself ! I'm wondering if he does ? Totally agree that Waggy and Nuge is now our first-choice strike pairing.

Ithink you might be right. Amazing, this game we all love so much, for turning things upside down ! After the forest game, if I was the manager, I think I probably would have given him a rest. Right now, I'm feeling the same way about JV. One of the big differences, in my perception, (and we all only see stuff that backs up our starting premise), is that through his tought time, Waggy never stopped shooting. My concern with JV is that he has started to find reasons to pass when he could shoot. It's that self-belief piece that is a worry. It's okay for everyone else to doubt you - as long as you don;lt doubt yourself ! I'm wondering if he does ? Totally agree that Waggy and Nuge is now our first-choice strike pairing.

He must be wondering what else he's got to do to beat the keeper sometimes, it must be frustrating to create all these amazing chances and then be denied by the post or the keeper and then watch Nugent get a lucky goal by chesting it in or something!

Still, with those two up front, I'm more than happy for the rest of the season. It's a shame about Vardy, but he's going to be kept out of the team for a while at this rate.

You hit the post or force a tidy save once or twice and you're unlucky.

You consistently hit the woodwork or fail to beat the keeper then your finishing needs work, sorry.

I'm consistently impressed by Waghorn's improvement and I'm really pleased for the lad that his confidence and happiness seem to be improving.

But I've still seen nothing to convince me we don't need another finisher in January. Nugent is still the only capable marksman in the side (except, if you count him, Kingy) that's consistently able to take his chances and it'll cost us if we aren't careful.

It's been said already but Waghorn and Vardy are much the same. Wonderful work ethic, reasonable ability and a good contribution to overall play but neither are predators at this level. We look impotent when Nugent is tired or injured and he doesn't look fit enough for every game of a 46 game season.

I can, there was a game last season when Beckford just tore them shreds, including a scissors kick that was well saved, I think it was someone shit, and it was on the telly, he looked amazing, did everything but score, I really thought it was the moment when he was going to turn that corner.

...it wasn't.

Just saying.

I think it was his debut vs Brighton you're thinking of, the ball stuck to his feet and I thought we'd got a real good buy, how wrong I was.

I really don't think there needs to be this much hype about "needing a new striker". We've scored 12 goals in our last 4 games, (6 against Ipswich, 2 at Sheffield Wednesday, 0 at Leeds, and 4 against Derby) - I can't remember the last time we were so prolific. What is encouraging - is that goals are coming from all over. Marshall, Knocky, Dyer and King are all more than capable with chipping in with 8-10 goals a season...and Nugent is well on course for 20.

I wasn't really comparing the 2, just when you said that I couldn't help think of that game where Beckford looked immense but couldn't score.

Beckford was Brilliant against M'Boro, he did score but looked like he could have scored 5 goals... shame it only happened about twice all year. :(

Beckford was Brilliant against M'Boro, he did score but looked like he could have scored 5 goals... shame it only happened about twice all year. :(

I think the difference between Waghorn's current form, and Beckford is that Beckford struggled to bring in other players. Waghorn has been brilliant at holding up the ball and creating space for people to run into. The partnership between Waggy and Nuge could be deadly - Nugents pace with Waghorn's current hold up play could be unstoppable.

We look impotent when Nugent is tired or injured and he doesn't look fit enough for every game of a 46 game season.

We scored three with him off the pitch against Ipswich, two against Wednesday, two against Derby but drew a blank against Leeds (sounded like the whole team had an off day).

We might not be as good without him (what team is without their best striker), but I'm not sure that 7 goals in four games with him off the pitch can be classed as impotent.

I think the difference between Waghorn's current form, and Beckford is that Beckford struggled to bring in other players. Waghorn has been brilliant at holding up the ball and creating space for people to run into. The partnership between Waggy and Nuge could be deadly - Nugents pace with Waghorn's current hold up play could be unstoppable.

Bang on. Waghorn is an all round forward who is going to create goals and score them whereas Beckford is just a finisher so needs to be getting 20 goals a season to justify his selection

When he plays like that, you cannot grumble. I've been very critical of him in the last 2 years because he hadn't pushed on, due to various reasons. He's never going to be a clinical finisher but it's his all round play that will help him succeed. Under Nigel in our play-off season his finishing was erratic but he scored at a decent rate and there's no reason why he can't score 1 in 3 or better now. It's imperitive we keep Nugent fit and hopefully we might see a decent partnership emerge.

Waghorn has been fantastic over the last 5 games, 2 goals and couple of assist. Now he's fully fit and has a bit confidence, he looks like the player he was in our play off season. He creating chance for himself and he’s team mates, if he stay fit and in the side he will bag 10-15 this season!

This is the most attacking and entertaining City side for years, full of young and hungery players like Waghorn and with a bit of luck could get us back in the big time!

You hit the post or force a tidy save once or twice and you're unlucky.

You consistently hit the woodwork or fail to beat the keeper then your finishing needs work, sorry.

I'm consistently impressed by Waghorn's improvement and I'm really pleased for the lad that his confidence and happiness seem to be improving.

But I've still seen nothing to convince me we don't need another finisher in January. Nugent is still the only capable marksman in the side (except, if you count him, Kingy) that's consistently able to take his chances and it'll cost us if we aren't careful.

It's been said already but Waghorn and Vardy are much the same. Wonderful work ethic, reasonable ability and a good contribution to overall play but neither are predators at this level. We look impotent when Nugent is tired or injured and he doesn't look fit enough for every game of a 46 game season.

I do think that you have a point there.

When you're consistently hitting the bar or the goalkeeper is pulling off a great save game after game there is a point when it becomes more than just coincidence. A player with real composure might give the goalkeeper the eye or feign to shoot then go the other way or generally just be clinical into the corner of the goal. It's just that extra 10% that sometimes seperates a good striker from a great one.

That's not to say that I'm not pleased with Waggy's form as it's far in excess of what it might have been at this stage of the season. He's very good at the moment and his hold up play is something we've needed from a forward for some time. I now think that Nugent and Waggy is a good enough partnership for a side chasing promotion.

The icing on the cake, however, would be one more striker. We don't have another goalscorer as capable as Nugent or as good at bringing people into play as Waggy so we'd struggle a bit without either of them at the moment. Vardy may come good long term but, if we want promotion this season, can we afford the luxury of waiting or would it be better to keep him as a squad player?

Is that through his tought time, Waggy never stopped shooting.

And trying. Where as I don't beleive Waghorn will ever be a prolific scorer, and I have held this view from when he was on loan from Sunderland, his 100% commitment to the team is unquestionable and his stlye of play is well suited to our current high tempo game and would be more than happy to see us move towards 4-3-3 with Waggers Nuge and Knocky forming the front line. And if starts getting 12-16 goals a season from open play then I will put my hand up and say I was wrong. He showed how much he wants it inthe peno shoot out versus Cardiff, of I remember he sent that one over as well

I still think we need to get a 2nd goal scoring striker at the club if we are to be serious about top two.

Waggy has been exceptional recently but Nugent is the only player at the club who is the type of player I'm on about. Give him a sniff and more often than not he'll bury it. Neither Waggy not Vardy are in the same class as Nuge, as finishers.

However, we ARE third and if I'm proven wrong, as always, I'll hold my hands up.

I still think we need to get a 2nd goal scoring striker at the club if we are to be serious about top two.

Waggy has been exceptional recently but Nugent is the only player at the club who is the type of player I'm on about. Give him a sniff and more often than not he'll bury it. Neither Waggy not Vardy are in the same class as Nuge, as finishers.

However, we ARE third and if I'm proven wrong, as always, I'll hold my hands up.

Know where you're coming from Col but surely you can see that Waggy is so so close to potentially being that goal scorer. If the 6 efforts that he has hit the woodwork with actually had gone in, Waggy would have scored 8 in about the last 5 games. I know that you'll make the point that they didn't go in etc but he is playing with a lot of confidence and IMO will score plenty for us this season.

Also just one thing on Nugent.. I think he is so integral for us also but he has never scored more than 15 in a season at this level. Yes, i know he has 11 league goals already this year, and will IMO go on to beat the 15 goal record he has by some distance. The point I'm trying to make is that he is probably playing the best football of his career at the moment and has started this first half of the season with real confidence and is now scoring more goals than ever.

I just feel that now Waghorn also has that confidence he could score a lot. You only have to look at Saturday, he could have scored a hat trick in about ten minutes. Both Waghorn and Nugent have never scored more than 15 in a season but i feel this could now be the season that they both do, i hope.

Know where you're coming from Col but surely you can see that Waggy is so so close to potentially being that goal scorer. If the 6 efforts that he has hit the woodwork with actually had gone in, Waggy would have scored 8 in about the last 5 games. I know that you'll make the point that they didn't go in etc but he is playing with a lot of confidence and IMO will score plenty for us this season.

Also just one thing on Nugent.. I think he is so integral for us also but he has never scored more than 15 in a season at this level. Yes, i know he has 11 league goals already this year, and will IMO go on to beat the 15 goal record he has by some distance. The point I'm trying to make is that he is probably playing the best football of his career at the moment and has started this first half of the season with real confidence and is now scoring more goals than ever.

I just feel that now Waghorn also has that confidence he could score a lot. You only have to look at Saturday, he could have scored a hat trick in about ten minutes. Both Waghorn and Nugent have never scored more than 15 in a season but i feel this could now be the season that they both do, i hope.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The 6 efforts that have hit the woodwork would, most probably, have been slotted away by a better finisher. If they had been, we'd be top of the league I think it's fair to say.

Goal scoring is an art, an instinct if you like. And the difference between scoring and not is a really fine margin.

Here's the rub... Do you continue to trust and rely upon Waghorn, an enthusiastic, hard working young player and ACCEPT the misses? Or do you look to find the striker who could take more chances than they miss?

It's a tough call and one Pearson will have to address. Personally, I think he'll stick with Waggy.

Archived