Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GingerrrFox

Where are you now?

I guess we need 20+ from a striker to be considered great for us, mid teens is acceptable so in that basis I am happy to accept Beckford failed the test last season and Nuge just about passed. However, in this 'much improved' side, where Nuge has almost doubled his tally for this stage last season, isn"t even a little bit tempting to think what might have been if Jermaine could have done the same - could have been on 40+ between them for the season????

It is... Until you remember him flouncing about looking like he can't be arsed for huge chunks of his time. Oh and until you remember he wanted to leave rather than fight for a first team spot.

I guess we need 20+ from a striker to be considered great for us, mid teens is acceptable so in that basis I am happy to accept Beckford failed the test last season and Nuge just about passed. However, in this 'much improved' side, where Nuge has almost doubled his tally for this stage last season, isn"t even a little bit tempting to think what might have been if Jermaine could have done the same - could have been on 40+ between them for the season????

Jermaine isn't part of this much improved side though, you take out the work rate of Vardy or Waghorn and slot in Beckford, who's to say that we're going to be doing as well? In fact I'd say that Nugent has profited from Beckford's loan deal, their partnership really wasn't that good last year but now we're seeing the best of Nugent. In fact the midfield that has started most games isn't that different to what started a lot of games last year, you slot Beckford in alongside Nugent and what has changed?

Without the workrate of Vardy/Waghorn alongside him, I doubt Nugent would have as many goals as he's got so far. Without two strikers upfront with that work rate we wouldn't be doing as well as we are.

The thing is, we'll never know if Beckford and Nugent could have struck a good partnership in the league this season because as soon as Beckford was dropped - and he was rightly dropped IMO - he decided to leave instead of waiting for his chance again in the first team. Also, like others have said, I'm inclined to think it's the workrate of both of Nugent's strike partners (Waghorn & Vardy) this season which has allowed him to score as many as he has so far. If you put Beckford next to Nugent, you lose that workrate, you lose the extra pressure on defenders, you lose everything good about Vardy and Waghorn's game. Then you'd probably have Nugent not scoring as many and Beckford not chipping in with many either and we'd be back to where we started last season.

Whatever we're doing at the minute seems to be working - hopefully our poor run of a few games was just a blip, we'll have a better idea if we've put that behind us when we play Sheff Wed on Saturday - they're better than Ipswich, but if we're serious about promotion this season then we need to be beating teams like that.

I don't think you quite said "league goals" enough. See if you can crowbar it in a few more times!

Let's face it though - league goals are the only goals that really matter to us. A cup run is always nice, but we're probably never going to win the League Cup or the FA Cup while we're stuck in this league, so I don't really care how many goals our players score in the cups because it does nothing to further our promotion credentials in the league. Perhaps if Beckford had scored a few more goals in the league, we'd be playing Premier League football now?

I think if you asked most fans on here, they'd happily accept becing knocked out in the first round of both cups in return for guaranteed promotion this season.

The thing is, we'll never know if Beckford and Nugent could have struck a good partnership in the league this season because as soon as Beckford was dropped - and he was rightly dropped IMO - he decided to leave instead of waiting for his chance again in the first team. Also, like others have said, I'm inclined to think it's the workrate of both of Nugent's strike partners (Waghorn & Vardy) this season which has allowed him to score as many as he has so far. If you put Beckford next to Nugent, you lose that workrate, you lose the extra pressure on defenders, you lose everything good about Vardy and Waghorn's game. Then you'd probably have Nugent not scoring as many and Beckford not chipping in with many either and we'd be back to where we started last season.

Whatever we're doing at the minute seems to be working - hopefully our poor run of a few games was just a blip, we'll have a better idea if we've put that behind us when we play Sheff Wed on Saturday - they're better than Ipswich, but if we're serious about promotion this season then we need to be beating teams like that.

Great post.

Couldn't agree more

I don't really care how many goals our players score in the cups because it does nothing to further our promotion credentials in the league.

I think if you asked most fans on here, they'd happily accept becing knocked out in the first round of both cups in return for guaranteed promotion this season.

This 'cup goals dont count' nonsense really gets on my nerves and has come into existence purely as a tool to knock Beckford with. I remember Richard Smiths last minute winner against Palace 20 odd years ago in the FA cup and believe me that goal bloody counted! Goals scored in games we lose dont really add anything to our promotion credentials, does that mean they dont count as well? If we dont get promotion are all the league goals pointless as they are not much more use than cup goals?

I like to think if you asked most fans on here whether they would rather win one of the cups or be promoted they would choose winning a trophy for only the 4th time ever. Cup goals are not pointless!!!

This 'cup goals dont count' nonsense really gets on my nerves and has come into existence purely as a tool to knock Beckford with. I remember Richard Smiths last minute winner against Palace 20 odd years ago in the FA cup and believe me that goal bloody counted! Goals scored in games we lose dont really add anything to our promotion credentials, does that mean they dont count as well? If we dont get promotion are all the league goals pointless as they are not much more use than cup goals?

I like to think if you asked most fans on here whether they would rather win one of the cups or be promoted they would choose winning a trophy for only the 4th time ever. Cup goals are not pointless!!!

You should tell....

the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/top_scorers/default.stm

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/championship/top-goalscorers.html

Skysports

http://m.skysports.com/leadingscorer/football/416

And every other sports site in the world that when comparing someones league goals they should also include cup goals, just so Beckford fans don't get upset about it.

The facts are he scored 9 league goals. Nobody is lying, nobody is making anything up when they state it. When people slate Waghorn and Vardy, they say "they aren't good enough for this league" or we "won't get promoted with them up front". They don't say, oh well we won't get to the quarters of the FA Cup with them up front.

They all contribute to a positive goal difference, which can be the difference at the end of the season.

I'd honestly have no problem if someone said to me 'you can have promotion this season, but you've got to accept getting knocked out of both cups in the first round' - I'd snap their hand off. Winning promotion from this league is something we're capable of. If we're being honest, competing for a national trophy is not something we're capable of doing at the minute. I would much rather we focussed on the task in hand, got promoted from this league and built a team that is capable of challenging for silverware.

In the same way as people use Beckford's league goals to criticise him, many people use his total tally to defend him. Regardless of how many goals he scored in the cup, our primary objective was promotion last season, not winning the League Cup, not winning the FA Cup, and our multi-million pound striker, reportedly on £30,000 scored nowhere near enough goals to help us achieve that. It's just as simple as that I'm afraid. I'm sure we all enjoyed his hattrick against Forest, but I would have enjoyed promotion at the end of the season a lot more.

Cup goals don't count, cup wins don't count, unless you lift the trophy, like you said league goals don't count if they are consolation goals, what counts are points, and winning league matches, and ultimately they count for nothing if you don't achieve your season ago, which for us is promotion.

Bearing all that go mind Beckford's leagues goals last season don't count either. Yes his job is to score goals, but really his job is to help us who matches and on that count he and many others failed last season. How many matches did Beckford score in? How many did he positively contribute to? In my opinion not enough.

So yes 9, 15 whatever number of goals, Beckford failed last season.

Waghorn, for all his failings in front of goal, contributes a lot more to the team, and he will be the first to say his priority is for us to win regardless of who scores.

lol, one goal in however many times he's played this season, yeah you've really told the haters.

It's good he's found some form a long may it continue and on current form with the strikers we have he should start, he is complementing Nugent well. but I still say if your if your looking at promotion or Prem football as oppose to sitting in the middle of the Championship table you need better, and his goal scoring record requires at least another 3 or 4 goals to even look anything resembling respectable, he's being outscored by Marcos Futacs ffs and he's barely played.

We are lucky Nugent is providing the goals as it's all good playing well and dropping off but when all is said and done the ball needs to hit the back of the net if your going to win games. If he can carry on playing like this get his finishing sorted and start to find the 10-15 goals a season he produced in the play off season we may be on to something.

lol, one goal in however many times he's played this season, yeah you've really told the haters.

It's good he's found some form a long may it continue and on current form with the strikers we have he should start, he is complementing Nugent well. but I still say if your if your looking at promotion or Prem football as oppose to sitting in the middle of the Championship table you need better, and his goal scoring record requires at least another 3 or 4 goals to even look anything resembling respectable, he's being outscored by Marcos Futacs ffs and he's barely played.

We are lucky Nugent is providing the goals as it's all good playing well and dropping off but when all is said and done the ball needs to hit the back of the net if your going to win games. If he can carry on playing like this get his finishing sorted and start to find the 10-15 goals a season he produced in the play off season we may be on to something.

Waghorn will be lucky to score that amount of goals at best I can see him scoring about 7 goals if he scores more than fair play to him, my only hope is we bring in an experienced striker in come January someone who knows how to perform in this division and can be an asset in the prem perhaps Steve Morison from Norwich could be the answer?

All this Beckford and cup/league goals thing was used just as much by those wanting to argue that he is a good player, as by those suggesting the opposite.

What his cup goals really papered over was the fact that his all round game (his ability to retain possession, to hold the ball up, to link other players into the play) and his league goal tally were actually quite shocking for Leicester City.

Beckford had the chance to shoot City into the Prem last season and, despite playing most games, was an abject failure at so doing.

A few cup goals (albeit good ones) cannot and should not make up in any way for his serious misgivings at looking nothing other than a very average striker, when it mattered mostly.

Waghorn MAY not score as many goals as we would like, but what is clear to anyone who wishes to see are two things. Firstly, he wants to play for the club and will give it his all. Secondly, his TEAM play is infinitely superior to Beckfords.

Can someone tell me please how many League goals Jermaine Beckford scored last season, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Beckford didn't appear in the top 30 Championship goal scorers (League) during season 2011/12

Even Fatty Fryatt got 16, the same, incidentally as Charlie Austin.

Lambert was the top scorer, with a cool 25 league goals.

Beckford didn't appear in the top 30 Championship goal scorers (League) during season 2011/12

Even Fatty Fryatt got 16, the same, incidentally as Charlie Austin.

Lambert was the top scorer, with a cool 25 league goals.

I was being a bit facetious babylon has quoted that figure so many times it's etched into my brain forever!!

All this Beckford and cup/league goals thing was used just as much by those wanting to argue that he is a good player, as by those suggesting the opposite.

What his cup goals really papered over was the fact that his all round game (his ability to retain possession, to hold the ball up, to link other players into the play) and his league goal tally were actually quite shocking for Leicester City.

Beckford had the chance to shoot City into the Prem last season and, despite playing most games, was an abject failure at so doing.

A few cup goals (albeit good ones) cannot and should not make up in any way for his serious misgivings at looking nothing other than a very average striker, when it mattered mostly.

Waghorn MAY not score as many goals as we would like, but what is clear to anyone who wishes to see are two things. Firstly, he wants to play for the club and will give it his all. Secondly, his TEAM play is infinitely superior to Beckfords.

You use goals/number of games to roughly judge the goal scoring prowess of a striker. Whether the goals are in a cup or league are both equally irrelevant both ways unless they either A) help you get promoted or B) help you win a cup. It's not as if Nugent wasn't trying to score in the cup, or that all of Beckfords were against really bad opposition (he did get 3 vs forest and 1 vs. Chelsea).

I'm not saying Beckford was great last season - he wasn't, he was just one of the many poorly performing players in a poorly performing squad. His shooting was about as lame as the service he was getting. However the blatant abuse of statistics by Nigel Pearson Lovers is pretty lame. It's strange that I'm arguing against this, because I LIKE Pearson, but it seems as though some try ridiculously hard to crucify anyone who doesn't immediately tow the 'everything nigel touches turns to gold' line.

Summary: Beckford wasn't great - neither were most other players. League goals only sucks.

You use goals/number of games to roughly judge the goal scoring prowess of a striker. Whether the goals are in a cup or league are both equally irrelevant both ways unless they either A) help you get promoted or B) help you win a cup. It's not as if Nugent wasn't trying to score in the cup, or that all of Beckfords were against really bad opposition (he did get 3 vs forest and 1 vs. Chelsea).

I'm not saying Beckford was great last season - he wasn't, he was just one of the many poorly performing players in a poorly performing squad. His shooting was about as lame as the service he was getting. However the blatant abuse of statistics by Nigel Pearson Lovers is pretty lame. It's strange that I'm arguing against this, because I LIKE Pearson, but it seems as though some try ridiculously hard to crucify anyone who doesn't immediately tow the 'everything nigel touches turns to gold' line.

Summary: Beckford wasn't great - neither were most other players. League goals only sucks.

I simply don't see how anyone can suggest Beckford was anything more than average when a player like Darius Henderson scored nearly twice as many goals than he did whilst playing for Millwall.

Or Snodgrass scored 13 goals as a winger.

Even Steve Davies scored more than Beckford in a very poor Derby side.

I agree, City were a poor ish side last season, but were Millwall or Leeds or Derby, really any better than we were?

I recall Beckford simply missing many chances.

I simply don't see how anyone can suggest Beckford was anything more than average when a player like Darius Henderson scored nearly twice as many goals than he did whilst playing for Millwall.

Or Snodgrass scored 13 goals as a winger.

Even Steve Davies scored more than Beckford in a very poor Derby side.

I agree, City were a poor ish side last season, but were Millwall or Leeds or Derby, really any better than we were?

I recall Beckford simply missing many chances.

Sorry, I agree - I'm not saying he wasn't poor! But then were so many of our other players, some of them who are playing great now (eg. King). All I'm saying is using league goals only isn't a fair representation and being used as a stick to beat Beckford even further by fanatical Nigel Pearson supporters. If Nugent had scored more cup goals, I doubt people would be saying it.

My personal opinion of him is that he was a good player that wasn't suited for Leicester.

Sorry, I agree - I'm not saying he wasn't poor! But then were so many of our other players, some of them who are playing great now (eg. King). All I'm saying is using league goals only isn't a fair representation and being used as a stick to beat Beckford even further by fanatical Nigel Pearson supporters. If Nugent had scored more cup goals, I doubt people would be saying it.

My personal opinion of him is that he was a good player that wasn't suited for Leicester.

Sorry mate. The last post wasn't really aimed at you. It was more aimed at those suggesting that Beckford was poor in a poor side. He was simply poor.

Where I don't agree and never have is on league and cup goals. I would have far rather seen Beckford score late teens in the league and one or two in the cup.

Archived