Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GingerrrFox

Where are you now?

This thread is embarrassing. I'm pleased that the lad managed to score yesterday but he has the same amount of goals as Futacs (in the league) who has had a fraction of the game time Waghorn has had so lets not get carried away.

Work! small office, but at least private, to quiet an area but at least its quiet :)

its lunch time, 25 degrees and cloudy

I just figured the general discussion bored me... so im attempting a very poor hijack-

i should have just done a poor pun.. that would do it :)

Yeah it's a team game, but at the end of the day a striker gets paid to score goals. I know he may be making goals, but Waghorn (and the other strikers at the club) will need to start chipping in with the goals because we can't keep relying on Nugent.

Take it you never saw cottee, claridge or marshall play with heskey then.

I've just woke up and due to the 2 pints of berocca before bed last night I'm feeling good ;) Anyway the reason I made this was because what people were saying about Waggy was beyond the norm. Terms of he's absolute shite, worst striker at the club, needs to be sold etc etc etc were being touted about. Those sorts is who this thread was aimed at, as most people with a footballing brain could tell that Waggy was getting better and better with each game he played.

I'm all for debate on players performances and talent, I myself can't stand Whitbread and think he's the worst centre back we've got but some of the stuff being said about Waggy was just plain wrong as has been proved in his run in the team. Arguably our most influential attacking player in the past 3 games, seems to be at the heart of everything we create.

Remember trust in :pearson: :pearson: :pearson: :pearson: :pearson: :pearson:

So it's bang out of order to slag off Waghorn, then you go on to say that Whitbread is the 'worst CB we've got' after a handful of games when he was playing premier league football last season. Beggars belief.

So Waghorn managed to score a goal at last. Big deal. He makes Beckford look like a superstar.! One goal after God knows how many games, and now he's a great player. I don't think so. Division one at best, if not two. That is my view, like it or not.

Surprise, surprise...

So Waghorn managed to score a goal at last. Big deal. He makes Beckford look like a superstar.! One goal after God knows how many games, and now he's a great player. I don't think so. Division one at best, if not two. That is my view, like it or not.

I'm sure there's someone it reminds me of, might have been last season, one goal in god knows how long, League One player, might have been paid god knows how much more money than Waghorn and contributed much less if memory serves me correct.

Well, here I am.

I always thought Waggy had completely lost it and we should get rid. I hoped and prayed i would be wrong but felt he just wasn't technically good enough. I think he has lost a little weight and gained a lot of speed. To me this is the difference in him getting that touch and making that tackle/pass/shot. Time will tell but it looks like the future is bright for Waggy. Last few games he has looked sharp.

Take it you never saw cottee, claridge or marshall play with heskey then.

Believe it or not, no. But I still stand by my original point, strikers still need to chip in with a few. I know there are target men, like Heskey, that can get away with creating goals, but how often is Waghorn going to do this as well? I've got more confidence in Nugent then any of our other strikers in terms of scoring goals.

DT does make an intresting point... wether he intended to or not....

Beckford is railroaded with scoring only 9 or twelve goals depending wether you like cup games or not.... Waggy scores one and everyone loves him again...

Waggy is definitely going to make it hard for Vardy to get back into the team... Sadly i can imagine a Waghorn injury will solve that issue! I think we need to blow up our training ground or something as it feels like we get alot of long term injuries..

These threads are so ridiculous. You can't say "I told you so" after a couple of games. It's on par with those who say that Pearson should be sacked after 3 poor games, or those who say that we are going to win the league after we string a few wins together.

No, I'm not a big Waghorn fan (not a hater, just don't think he should be a starter). Yes, he has been playing very well recently, and currently deserves to start. But it's been a few games. If he carries on the season on form, then I will hold up my hands and say that I'm wrong, but I'm not fickle enough to change my opinion after a few games.

This.

I'm sure there's someone it reminds me of, might have been last season, one goal in god knows how long, League One player, might have been paid god knows how much more money than Waghorn and contributed much less if memory serves me correct.

You mean someone that was generally derided by most "fans" as not good enough because he only scored 15 goals (in all competitions) in a season?? Let's just see if Waggy scores 15 this season and then you can bask in the glory of being oh so right ..... It's a little early to gloat - is it one goal in 600 odd minutes so far???

You mean someone that was generally derided by most "fans" as not good enough because he only scored 15 goals (in all competitions) in a season?? Let's just see if Waggy scores 15 this season and then you can bask in the glory of being oh so right ..... It's a little early to gloat - is it one goal in 600 odd minutes so far???

I said he should go because he didn't do enough to justify his wages in terms of goals and all round contribution. Waghorn earns less and contributes more and I imagine has a very good chance of beating Beckford's nine league goals. But yes we'll have to wait and see, I was merely pointing out that while the comparison was being made between Waggy this season and Beckford last that it took Beckford about this long to get his first goal as well.

I said he should go because he didn't do enough to justify his wages in terms of goals and all round contribution. Waghorn earns less and contributes more and I imagine has a very good chance of beating Beckford's nine league goals. But yes we'll have to wait and see, I was merely pointing out that while the comparison was being made between Waggy this season and Beckford last that it took Beckford about this long to get his first goal as well.

I can't comment because I don't know what they earn - can you PM me with Waggy's salary package details and Beckford's so i can compare the value proposition for myself??? Thanks.

I can't comment because I don't know what they earn - can you PM me with Waggy's salary package details and Beckford's so i can compare the value proposition for myself??? Thanks.

Beckford was derided originally for his all round play, my original comments on him never mentioned his goals at all. As the season started to draw to a close though it became clear he was never going to be a Yakubu, where the number of goals he scores means you can overlook how shitty the rest of his game is.

I believe mentioning his 9 league goals all started when people began making the "stupid fans prefer people like Hume and Dickov who just run about" remarks. So it became a nice little come back to point out Ian Hume scored more than 9 league goals for us every season I think even in struggling teams, and that Dickov scored considerably more than 9 league goals.

As I said at the start of the season, if Waghorn, Vardy, Schlupp only ended up with 8 or 9 league goals it doesn't really matter. Because you know you are going to get so much more form them for the team in other ways.

Beckford was derided originally for his all round play, my original comments on him never mentioned his goals at all. As the season started to draw to a close though it became clear he was never going to be a Yakubu, where the number of goals he scores means you can overlook how shitty the rest of his game is.

I believe mentioning his 9 league goals all started when people began making the "stupid fans prefer people like Hume and Dickov who just run about" remarks. So it became a nice little come back to point out Ian Hume scored more than 9 league goals for us every season I think even in struggling teams, and that Dickov scored considerably more than 9 league goals.

As I said at the start of the season, if Waghorn, Vardy, Schlupp only ended up with 8 or 9 league goals it doesn't really matter. Because you know you are going to get so much more form them for the team in other ways.

I don't think you quite said "league goals" enough. See if you can crowbar it in a few more times!

I don't think you quite said "league goals" enough. See if you can crowbar it in a few more times!

People are constantly talking about strikers good enough to get us out of this league, and in this league he scored 9 league goals. That's a fact.

As many have said before on here its all about opinions. For me:

Nugent is currently the best striker at the club.

Vardy appears to try like mad, but I just feel he is a bit lightweight

Futacs? the little I've seen of him hasn't been that promising, but willing to be convinced

Therefore, Waghorn is in, if we are playing two strikers. But honestly.. despite all this "I've always loved him" by everyone, I personally would prefer Beckford, I just feel he has more natural ability (ok quote all the statistics you like, that's my opinion).

Oh yeah, I do like it when Pearson plays Knocky in the hole behind Nugent.

And finally. Schlupp, what a fantastic left back!!!! has he talked himself out of contention as an attacker??? with his left back displays??

I guess we need 20+ from a striker to be considered great for us, mid teens is acceptable so in that basis I am happy to accept Beckford failed the test last season and Nuge just about passed. However, in this 'much improved' side, where Nuge has almost doubled his tally for this stage last season, isn"t even a little bit tempting to think what might have been if Jermaine could have done the same - could have been on 40+ between them for the season????

I guess we need 20+ from a striker to be considered great for us, mid teens is acceptable so in that basis I am happy to accept Beckford failed the test last season and Nuge just about passed. However, in this 'much improved' side, where Nuge has almost doubled his tally for this stage last season, isn"t even a little bit tempting to think what might have been if Jermaine could have done the same - could have been on 40+ between them for the season????

I see what you're getting at, but it's been said so many times now: his work rate is why he didn't gel with the team.

Using the point you made about Nuge, why do you think it is that he's been so much more prolific this season already? Imo it's because we usually have Nugent and another striker both working their bollocks off which means more/better opportunities arise for Nuge to put away. With Becks alongside him Nuge's goal tally would diminish as suddenly the opposition defence aren't being made to work as much. If Vardy or Waggy were up with Becks there would be less opportunities for goals because Beckford doesn't make the effort that Nuge does. The final option is a Waggy/Vardy partnership which would be hugely encouraging w/r to work rate, but it's Nuge's quality and enthusiasm that really makes either of those guys' work pay off on a regular basis.

And you're making that point to me because????

And you're making that point to me because????

Because you were the one saying this...

Archived