Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Pearson In Hunt For New Striker

I've liked Charlie Austin since I saw him play for Swindon, I even suggested his name on here a few seasons back. Would love him to sign for us, but it won't be happening. I imagine Burnley value him £5million+, especially considering their arch rivals paid a ridiculous amount for Rhodes. My mate, who supports Burnley, always gives me the "if Rhodes is worth £8million" line. But just imagine some of the reactions on here if we got Austin and he failed to score "what a non league player".

I also like Chris Wood though, and he is more realistic. Good target man, holds the ball up and can score. Although I do like him, I'm not sure what he would bring to the squad ahead of what Futacs has got. Similar players.

We do need a goalscorer though, and a left full back.

Just becouse Austin is scoring for fun at burnley doesn't mean he's going to do the same for whatever club he goes to..if he goes? 😊
You could make that case for any striker, Austin has proved he can score goals at this level and that is what we need if we want to push on on wards.

Just becouse Austin is scoring for fun at burnley doesn't mean he's going to do the same for whatever club he goes to..if he goes? ��

Same can be applied to any striker in the World. But Austin proved to be a quality goalscorer at non league level, then at League One level and now in the Championship.

Doesn't matter anyway, we won't be getting him.

We won't get Austin, we don't want flaming Macheda, Lambert will definitely not come here, Sharp is on loan to Forest till the end of the season, and Nicky Maynard was probably a joke but isn't he out for the whole season.

Realistically only players who will come here, are players who are on the bench or out of favour for their Premier League sides, or players who loans end in January like Chris Wood.

Chris Wood, Steve Morison, Simeon Jackson, Dani Pacheco, Rob Hulse, Simon Church, Kenwyne Jones, Cameron Jerome, Connor Wickham, Danny Graham.

Also one player I wouldn't be surprised to see crop up is Dexter Blackstock, wouldn't surprise me one bit if we were linked with him in January.

I know it was in the daft days, but if we can pay £5 million for mills, surely we could offer the same for Austin?.

I do however think he's premiership bound.

But how daft is that? You think because we did it once we can do it as many times as we want?

Spending that much on one player at this level was a ridiculous gamble and one that, like most 'big' signings for us, completely backfired.

Regarding Wood.

But Berylson told Millwall site “News At Den†that the club have met WBA valuation of Wood twice, only for Albion to change the price.

He said. “They told us £500,000 and I said ‘fine’. They said £1m and I said ‘fine’. So I’ve gone for it already – I’m done.â€

He later went on to say that West Brom had taken so long to answer the bid that we have now made an informal bid for an unnamed player.

and

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/12/21/chris-wood-may-still-have-a-future-at-west-brom/

Vardy number two?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11712/8349016/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sky Sports understands a host of clubs are chasing Kidderminster Harriers striker Jamille Matt's signature in the January transfer window

Matt only returned to action last month after he resolved his citizenship problems which stopped him from playing for nine months

The 22-year-old has impressed upon his return to the Kidderminster fold, netting four goals in four games, including a hat-trick against Newport County.

Several sides were thought to keeping tabs on Matt prior to his work permit issues and scouts have been flocking to check on the forward since his return to action.

The likes of West Brom,spacer.gifLeicester,spacer.gif Leeds and Wolves are all thought to be admirers of Matt and are weighing up moves for the front-man.

Kidderminster are keen to keep Matt and are in talks over a new contract, with his current deal due to expire at the end of the season.

You're right, big signings for us are a waste of time.

Thank god we didn't waste over £600k on a Chelsea reserve and £900k on a scruffy championship striker in the early part of MO'N's reign.

The £750k we 'blew' on Neil Lennon and £450k we frittered away on Robbie Savage still keeps me awake at night. What a waste of money!

Nugent, Knockaert, Konchesky, Schmeichel, Morgan all represent financial outlay in terms of transfer fee/wages and what a waste of money they have all been! Pathetic to the last.

I'm particularly relieved we never paid out any money for Keith Weller, Alan Young, Lenny Glover etc etc etc in the past.

Bring back the pathetic loans/freebies of Luigi Glombart and Jason Jarrett eh DanLCFC?

Just because some signings don't work out, it doesn't mean you should give up. For every Akinbiyi, there is a Claridge (comparative when you consider the context).

You're right, big signings for us are a waste of time.

Thank god we didn't waste over £600k on a Chelsea reserve and £900k on a scruffy championship striker in the early part of MO'N's reign.

The £750k we 'blew' on Neil Lennon and £450k we frittered away on Robbie Savage still keeps me awake at night. What a waste of money!

Nugent, Knockaert, Konchesky, Schmeichel, Morgan all represent financial outlay in terms of transfer fee/wages and what a waste of money they have all been! Pathetic to the last.

I'm particularly relieved we never paid out any money for Keith Weller, Alan Young, Lenny Glover etc etc etc in the past.

Bring back the pathetic loans/freebies of Luigi Glombart and Jason Jarrett eh DanLCFC?

Just because some signings don't work out, it doesn't mean you should give up. For every Akinbiyi, there is a Claridge (comparative when you consider the context).

One of the best posts I've seen you make IMO.

Clagger, in particular, was seen at the time as a really 'risky' signing, because he had fallen out with Fry (surprise surprise) and also because of his price tag.

Just because Sven blew a kings ransom on certain players who didn't cut it, that doesn't mean that spending some serious money on real quality wouldn't be in order.

Eg Tom Ince... I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for c. 3 million as Blackpool are broke. That would be excellent value for money for one of the best young players to come through the Championship in recent years.

Zaha also... Palace don't have serious money. I suspect Zaha would probably go for 4 million tops. Again, value for money in the current football climate.

Value for money is the key, especially in light of FFP. Beckford, Mills and Danns did not represent value for money. Other players, such as the two I've mentioned, I suspect will.

Clagger, in particular, was seen at the time as a really 'risky' signing, because he had fallen out with Fry (surprise surprise) and also because of his price tag.

Just because Sven blew a kings ransom on certain players who didn't cut it, that doesn't mean that spending some serious money on real quality wouldn't be in order.

Eg Tom Ince... I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for c. 3 million as Blackpool are broke. That would be excellent value for money for one of the best young players to come through the Championship in recent years.

Zaha also... Palace don't have serious money. I suspect Zaha would probably go for 4 million tops. Again, value for money in the current football climate.

Value for money is the key, especially in light of FFP. Beckford, Mills and Danns did not represent value for money. Other players, such as the two I've mentioned, I suspect will.

I don't know if I am reading this right, but what a load of shit.

Zaha will go for £10 million or more

The mind boggles! What's not to like about him? Two good feet, excellent in the air and his hold up play is what we badly lack.

I'm messing he wouldn't be a bad signing, I remember seeing him play for West Brom a few times and looked good along with 2 good loan spells, defiantly has the potential to be a good player but should we be looking for someone who is proven or with a bit more experience....

Archived