Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Pearson In Hunt For New Striker

Zaha will go for £10 million or more

I doubt it Ric.. I could be wrong but it's not only about what the selling club values a player at, but what the buying club is willing to pay. With Zaha, you'd be buying potential and Palace would want to cash in I would imagine. 10 mill for potential seems way too much given the circumstances.

Wigan, for example, paid Palace 2.5 mill for Victor Moses, every bit as good as Zaha. Anyway, we'll see I guess.

I'm messing he wouldn't be a bad signing, I remember seeing him play for West Brom a few times and looked good along with 2 good loan spells, defiantly has the potential to be a good player but should we be looking for someone who is proven or with a bit more experience....

I've seen a number of people post this. Why? Who, out there is proven/experienced, that we can realistically go for? Nothing wrong with purchasing Wood.

One of the best posts I've seen you make IMO.

Clagger, in particular, was seen at the time as a really 'risky' signing, because he had fallen out with Fry (surprise surprise) and also because of his price tag.

Just because Sven blew a kings ransom on certain players who didn't cut it, that doesn't mean that spending some serious money on real quality wouldn't be in order.

Eg Tom Ince... I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for c. 3 million as Blackpool are broke. That would be excellent value for money for one of the best young players to come through the Championship in recent years.

Zaha also... Palace don't have serious money. I suspect Zaha would probably go for 4 million tops. Again, value for money in the current football climate.

Value for money is the key, especially in light of FFP. Beckford, Mills and Danns did not represent value for money. Other players, such as the two I've mentioned, I suspect will.

Thanks - although I think you'll find I always take sense.

Its the short-term 'in the moment-ers' who tend to get carried away and disagree with my all pervading reason and logic.

We won't get Austin, we don't want flaming Macheda, Lambert will definitely not come here, Sharp is on loan to Forest till the end of the season, and Nicky Maynard was probably a joke but isn't he out for the whole season.

Realistically only players who will come here, are players who are on the bench or out of favour for their Premier League sides, or players who loans end in January like Chris Wood.

Chris Wood, Steve Morison, Simeon Jackson, Dani Pacheco, Rob Hulse, Simon Church, Kenwyne Jones, Cameron Jerome, Connor Wickham, Danny Graham.

Also one player I wouldn't be surprised to see crop up is Dexter Blackstock, wouldn't surprise me one bit if we were linked with him in January.

Wasn't Drinkwater on loan at Barnsley for the season?

You're right, big signings for us are a waste of time.

Thank god we didn't waste over £600k on a Chelsea reserve and £900k on a scruffy championship striker in the early part of MO'N's reign.

The £750k we 'blew' on Neil Lennon and £450k we frittered away on Robbie Savage still keeps me awake at night. What a waste of money!

Nugent, Knockaert, Konchesky, Schmeichel, Morgan all represent financial outlay in terms of transfer fee/wages and what a waste of money they have all been!

I think you're confusing 'big signing' with 'any player who commanded a transfer fee' - out of all of those, the only player I'd consider a remotely big name when we signed him was Paul Konchesky, and even he was on the way down.

There's a big difference between spending a decent amount on a quality player and spunking millions of pounds on a single signing.

Well we defo aint getting chris wood because he isn't for sale ,still think we should look at someone like lambert,tbf don't think wood is a player at a point in his career to take him on anyway not for us would rather look to better more experienced options.would defiantly look to sell waggy and loan vardy because they are not good enough we have one decent striker and that's nugent

NP asked a football scout mate of mine his opinion on Wood this week. Seems millwall can't afford him at 2m, and he will be returning to WBA in january. He also said that MFC are looking to bring back Morrison from Norwich on loan as a replacement.

Brighton are definitely in for Wood but seems we are lining up a bid too.

Iwan Roberts is going to be at the game today, anyone know anything about fast growing a clone?

Hmm thinking about it, was he our last striker to score over twenty goals in a season, i cant remember?

From memory, in his final season he reached 21?

Archived