Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Half Term Report - Foxblogger

http://foxblogger.wo...f-term-report/?

When tasked with writing a season preview for the Guardian each Championship blogger was asked what the fans wanted – and what they’d actually get.

Promotion was the aim, I wrote, but that we’d see “Matches to die for, followed by maddening inconsistency.”

In many ways the first half of the season has been positive. Leicester are six points better off at this stage of the season than last, helped in part by a winning run of five games not bettered by a City squad since 1993.

Wes Morgan has established himself quickly as a leader of the Championship’s best defence. And David Nugent is over halfway towards becoming the first Leicester player to score 20 league goals in a season at this level since Gary Lineker.

Better still, for a brief period, Leicester occupied the Championship’s top spot. It was their highest league position since 2003 and City’s best start for 10 years.

But since the Foxes hit those highs the trajectory of Leicester’s season has become worrying.

City have taken just 12 points from a possible 33 – relegation form. In the first half of the campaign the Foxes have lost eight times, each defeat by a single goal. Perhaps more worryingly, Leicester’s last three defeats have all been 1-0.

Yes there have been matches to die for, that 6-0 win over Ipswich (the club’s biggest win for 30 years) and the 4-1 victory over Derby. But what followed has been…well…maddening inconsistency.

Through 2012 Leicester have claimed enough points to justify talk of promotion. But already the Foxes are asking a lot of themselves to make the top two and avoid the lottery of the playoffs.

With 37 points on the board, the Foxes are likely to need a return of two points per game from here until the end of the season to gain a realistic shot at automatic promotion.

It’s not impossible, but to win the points required Leicester will have to travel to seven of the Championship’s top half, whilst hosting just four of those sides at the King Power Stadium.

Leicester’s return of three wins from 11 away matches so far makes that an intimidating prospect.

Finding goals on the road has been Leicester’s biggest problem. At home theirs is the second best attack in the Championship, away it’s the twentieth best (or perhaps more accurately, fifth worst).

Where Leicester haven’t struggled is at the back. City’s defence has conceded fewer goals than any other Championship side.

Those stats have made recent talk of the need for a defensive midfielder all the more perplexing. The best defence in the Championship doesn’t need more protection – it needs a little help from the men supposed to do the business at the other end.

Leicester might have scored 18 goals in their last 11 outings, but 10 of those strikes came in just two games. The Foxes have failed to score in four of their last nine fixtures and three of their last five.

And that’s not due to a lack of creativity, Leicester have been outshot by their opponents just twice this season. Once at Watford, and once at Millwall.

City’s last outing against Cardiff underlined the problem perfectly. The Foxes restricted the league leaders to just four attempts on goal, whilst at the other end failed to put away any of the 18 efforts they created themselves.

It seems Nigel Pearson needs to get his team to rediscover its goalscoring touch, or invest in players who will show the current bunch how it’s done. Without a quick turnaround in form the automatic promotion places will be little more than mathematically possible.

It'll be very interesting to see how much money gets invested in Jan... I trust in Pearsons scouting team, but fear that if we dont go up this year the owners will get someone else in.

FFP

We're already comfortably over it, without splashing cash left right & centre.

If we can offload high earners like Beckford, Wellens, Gally & Danns who aren't in plans, we might be able to get one or maybe two in who can take us forward to secure the results our performances often deserve

Hopefully we can add Konch to that list too, we could sign 3 good, up & coming players for his wages alone.

Some interesting stats in there, which would suggest that we do need a goal scorer.

Only problem is NP is not gonna go out and buy a proven scorer we all know that he favours young up and coming hungry players. And there lies are problem!!! We will probably get another young striker in on loan or from some obscure non league club for peanuts, who will then take about 10 games for us to realise that they have ability but need time to come good.

This is the year to go up with the extra payments going to the PL. unfortunately I think we will miss the boat. However if NP and the players are given another season then who knows.

Foxblogger's analysis is flawed.

We desperately need a defensive midfielder to add grit and steel to the side. No City side of the last 40 years has been promoted without one.

If that means dropping one or maybe both of the wingers (who have struggled for consistency in recent games anyway) to accommodate the change in formation, then so be it.

We may have to wheel and deal to stay within budget. One or more crowd favourites may have to leave. But apart from Kasper, Morgan and maybe Nugent, there isn't a player within the current squad who should be regarded as indispensable.

Back in 1996, MON had the courage to make radical changes to a side that impressed early in the season, but had started to falter in much the same way as the current team. Some of those changes were not universally popular (good job there were no message boards then lol) but he was vindicated in the end.

Pearson must be prepared to show similar bravery in the coming weeks.

We desperately need a defensive midfielder to add grit and steel to the side. No City side of the last 40 years has been promoted without one.

If that means dropping one or maybe both of the wingers (who have struggled for consistency in recent games anyway) to accommodate the change in formation, then so be it.

We may have to wheel and deal to stay within budget. One or more crowd favourites may have to leave. But apart from Kasper, Morgan and maybe Nugent, there isn't a player within the current squad who should be regarded as indispensable.

Back in 1996, MON had the courage to make radical changes to a side that impressed early in the season, but had started to falter in much the same way as the current team. Some of those changes were not universally popular (good job there were no message boards then lol) but he was vindicated in the end.

Don't tell Babs!

The mentioning of a DM makes him go into a cold sweat!

Brrrrrrrrrrr

lol

Always happy to discuss a difference of opinion.

For me City's major problem is the lack of a killer instinct up front, too often a spell of dominant play hasn't produced goals. I don't see how a defensive midfielder solves this problem, particularly when we already have the tightest defence in the division.

But perhaps we're coming from this at different angles. Would appreciate it if you could expand on the above a little.

The OP just underlines to me that the only missing link is the lack of clinical finishers. Let's face it, the games which we've won this season have been pretty much carbon copies of the Cardiff game - only the ball went in. When we've lost its actually been down to poor performances not "the lack of midfield steel" or the lack of a "midfield brute".

There's certainly a bit of mileage in discussing tactical stubbornness in some away games but the one underlying problem is we're not finishing our chances. Our defence is great, but no defence can be relied on to continually string together clean sheets. Think about the many poor results recently - Cardiff, Barnsley, Forest - a few more chances taken we'd be 7 points better off.

This is why I think NP's plan will be to sort out this flaw, rather than try to radically change the team/formation/setup/ethos.

Plan A has shown to be successful for a majority of the season, why tinker with a plan B? You've got to have the confidence and setup to execute your A game - which for us right now is high tempo possession and playmaking football. Our current strikers will find their shooting boots again + we'll sign a striker too.

Some interesting stats and facts here but when i agree that we do need a predatory finisher to turn some of the offensive spells we have into goals, we do need a defensive midfielder to add grit and strength into the team which has been missed this season when up against stubborn opposition such as Leeds and Millwall.

Some interesting stats and facts here but when i agree that we do need a predatory finisher to turn some of the offensive spells we have into goals, we do need a defensive midfielder to add grit and strength into the team which has been missed this season when up against stubborn opposition such as Leeds and Millwall.

I don't think we need either, I think we need a to create more clear cut chances for the strikers. take away the aimless crosses, the hopeful shots from outside the area and the half chances, and you'll see we create very little for any "finisher" to actually finish.

You desperately need a belt, me lord!!

I don't think we need either, I think we need a to create more clear cut chances for the strikers. take away the aimless crosses, the hopeful shots from outside the area and the half chances, and you'll see we create very little for any "finisher" to actually finish.

At least someone gets it.

Sometimes the shear stupidity of our play leaves me in bits......

Hitting crosses to strikers who are all crap in the air, what's the fooking point? Hitting long balls up to them is even worse!

Taking our most creative players and making them play in wide positions where their primary function is to provide defensive cover for our fullbacks smacks of cowardice......

We have all seen how good we can be this season but now we seem frightened to play that way, we did so for about 20 mins on Saturday, went undeservedly a goal behind then completely bottled it, our players played their assigned roles, kept their shape and managed to create nothing, absolutely zero, not one of them was prepared to take a risk and try something different.

The collapse in the quality of our play in recent games has been alarming, we seem to have responded to a poor result be going more negative and even more rigid in our setup and as a result seem to be playing worse every game.

Always happy to discuss a difference of opinion.

For me City's major problem is the lack of a killer instinct up front, too often a spell of dominant play hasn't produced goals. I don't see how a defensive midfielder solves this problem, particularly when we already have the tightest defence in the division.

But perhaps we're coming from this at different angles. Would appreciate it if you could expand on the above a little.

A defensive midfielder doesn't just serve to protect the back four at all. It's bizarre you'd think that was the role of the defensive midfielder Yaya Toure, the pinnacle of defensive midfielding, has scored 14 in 82 for Man City.

They are part of the midfield, contributing to the attack as well as the defence. The main benefit of a defensive midfielder is winning the ball when we are on the back foot and setting up an attack whilst the opposition are in an attacking position. Tell me how this WOULDN'T benefit the front line? Earlier reception of balls, the element of, if not surprise, at least unexpectancy.

Our midfield who, lest we forget, are supposed to provide the goals would be given a lot more creative and attacking freedom if one of their members was actively winning the ball as opposed to just waiting for the defense to provide it.

To view a defensive MIDFIELDER as part of the defence shows an incredible lack of thought. Just because his role in midfielder has emphasis on defence doesn't necessarily mean that he is automatically a centerback only serving to protect the goal.

For reference I don't think we even need one that badly, but I'm not so blinkered in my own views that I couldn't see the benefit.

A defensive midfielder doesn't just serve to protect the back four at all. It's bizarre you'd think that was the role of the defensive midfielder Yaya Toure, the pinnacle of defensive midfielding, has scored 14 in 82 for Man City.

They are part of the midfield, contributing to the attack as well as the defence. The main benefit of a defensive midfielder is winning the ball when we are on the back foot and setting up an attack whilst the opposition are in an attacking position. Tell me how this WOULDN'T benefit the front line? Earlier reception of balls, the element of, if not surprise, at least unexpectancy.

Our midfield who, lest we forget, are supposed to provide the goals would be given a lot more creative and attacking freedom if one of their members was actively winning the ball as opposed to just waiting for the defense to provide it.

To view a defensive MIDFIELDER as part of the defence shows an incredible lack of thought. Just because his role in midfielder has emphasis on defence doesn't necessarily mean that he is automatically a centerback only serving to protect the goal.

For reference I don't think we even need one that badly, but I'm not so blinkered in my own views that I couldn't see the benefit.

The role of a defensive midfielder really depends on the system played. They're useful if you need full backs to bomb on and create width - in which case the defensive midfielder is often the man asked to drop back and cover - a tactic Sven employed a lot. But before we go any further there appears to be a division in what people want from a 'defensive midfielder'. Some seem to want a stopper (see references to 'grit' and 'steel'), you've outlined something more like a quater-back role. I can see the benefit of that - I just can't see the problem it's meant to solve.

Yes, goals haven't been forthcoming - but Leicester have outshot their opponents in 21 of 24 league games this season. This problem isn't creating more chances, it's finishing the ones the team already creates.

Also, blinkered? Come on.

The role of a defensive midfielder really depends on the system played. They're useful if you need full backs to bomb on and create width - in which case the defensive midfielder is often the man asked to drop back and cover - a tactic Sven employed a lot. But before we go any further there appears to be a division in what people want from a 'defensive midfielder'. Some seem to want a stopper (see references to 'grit' and 'steel'), you've outlined something more like a quater-back role. I can see the benefit of that - I just can't see the problem it's meant to solve.

Yes, goals haven't been forthcoming - but Leicester have outshot their opponents in 21 of 24 league games this season. This problem isn't creating more chances, it's finishing the ones the team already creates.

Also, blinkered? Come on.

People who want a DM have either played way too much football manager or believe the DM didn't exist before Claud Makele built a career out of staying in his own half and the British press treated it like the tactical innovation of the decade.

Hitting crosses to strikers who are all crap in the air, what's the fooking point? Hitting long balls up to them is even worse!

That's why his just brought a 6'3" centre forward, you can combine decent passing football with using wide men and crossing if you have the right man to take advantage.

Great review that, Foxblogger, and I agree with it 100%. The absence of a second consistent goal scorer is the reason why a good start to the season is not a great start to the season.

They're players I like, and work tirelessly for the cause, but King, Vardy and Waghorn shoulder the responsibility for that role.

The Wood signing though is, on paper, the perfect remedy for this. Let's hope him and Nuge gel.

'Half-Term Report', simply could do better. Actually we need to do better in the second half of the season than what was achieved in the first half.

Our away form has let us down and the 'home banker' against a struggling Barnsley hasn't helped. These are all lost points which could cost us dearly come the end of the season.

The old adage still rings true today, goals win matches. The chances we are creating should mean our Club should be top of the league by a mile.

Archived