Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

On The Pitch

On The Pitch (Hypothetically speaking)  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be on the pitch regardless of directives from PA and Stewards?

• Yes
    • No

The vast majority do. I've never ever seen us have one and that's a shame because it would be great being a part of one.

Last league game at Filbert street. Something momentous and significant saw thousands, myself included, pour onto the pitch to say one last goodbye to both our Premier League stay and our ground.

The following year in our new home, promotion (again) saw applause. A few years later a league title saw applause. This is not because those self same people who 'invaded' the pitch just a few year previous now leave on 80 minutes but rather because, you know what, promotion really isn't that exciting, significant or momentous to people who've seen us win things, escape near disaster, overcome cluster****s etc.

Spontaneous is the 10 minutes of standing ovation and non stop applause when our relegation from the Prem was confirmed against Man Utd. It wasn't organised, it wasn't voted on, it didn't differentiate between those with 'passion' who like to stand and 'lesser' fans, it was collective, inclusive and without ego.

Spontaneous is not organising a hypothetical celebration of the fact that we've finished second in division 2.

Even if a couple of thousand did get on you know the majority of the crowd would start booing. 'Booo, get offf the pitch you arseholes, I want to see the players walked round the pitch in an orderly manner'. lol

I'd love to have a pitch invasion, but my gut feeling is it wouldn't happen. The stewards will be covering every inch of the edge of that pitch if we get promoted.

It is funny that this thread came up the last time we went on a good run, at least that time we were in the top 2.

Last league game at Filbert street. Something momentous and significant saw thousands, myself included, pour onto the pitch to say one last goodbye to both our Premier League stay and our ground.

The following year in our new home, promotion (again) saw applause. A few years later a league title saw applause. This is not because those self same people who 'invaded' the pitch just a few year previous now leave on 80 minutes but rather because, you know what, promotion really isn't that exciting, significant or momentous to people who've seen us win things, escape near disaster, overcome cluster****s etc.

Spontaneous is the 10 minutes of standing ovation and non stop applause when our relegation from the Prem was confirmed against Man Utd. It wasn't organised, it wasn't voted on, it didn't differentiate between those with 'passion' who like to stand and 'lesser' fans, it was collective, inclusive and without ego.

Spontaneous is not organising a hypothetical celebration of the fact that we've finished second in division 2.

Of course it bloody is. Personally I've never attended a game where we've been promoted to the top flight. The only games of real historical significance I've been to were the 2000 cup final when I was 7 and promotion from league 1, a division we should never have been in.

I think its you who has the big ego if you think promotion to the Premiership wouldn't be significant to a club like Leicester. We've not been there for almost a decade and I will be very grateful if and when we go up.

Yes it's too early to be planning a promotion party, but I can see people dreaming of the special moment that football can create and that's far less tinpot than some of things I've seen from our fans/club in the time I've been supporting us. Yes pitch inasions used to be spontaneous but that's because they were so much easier back then.

I've seen that video of thousands of our fans singing and celebrating with the players at Filbert Street in 1991 after surviving the drop and I've never experienced anything like that. Those moments of unity between all the fans and the players are very rare.

Of course it bloody is. Personally I've never attended a game where we've been promoted to the top flight. The only games of real historical significance I've been to were the 2000 cup final when I was 7 and promotion from league 1, a division we should never have been in.

I think its you who has the big ego if you think promotion to the Premiership wouldn't be significant to a club like Leicester. We've not been there for almost a decade and I will be very grateful if and when we go up.

Yes it's too early to be planning a promotion party, but I can see people dreaming of the special moment that football can create and that's far less tinpot than some of things I've seen from our fans/club in the time I've been supporting us. Yes pitch inasions used to be spontaneous but that's because they were so much easier back then.

I've seen that video of thousands of our fans singing and celebrating with the players at Filbert Street in 1991 after surviving the drop and I've never experienced anything like that. Those moments of unity between all the fans and the players are very rare.

You've mythologised the past. You've built up the 'experience' into something it never was and never will be. Invading the pitch is now seen as the ultimate expression of passion and collective joy by people who've never actually experienced it first hand. You're harking after a facsimile of the past, creating a simulacrum of joy that never was.

Enjoy football for what it is now, do something which belongs to you don't cling to a festering corpse of myth which only permits you to live vicariously.

Guest BlueBrett

fleckneymike every single one of your posts in this thread is retarded. Nobody is 'mythologising' anything. Some people just happen to think a pitch invasion would be a fun and fitting way to mark the occasion should we achieve promotion and they are canvassing the views of others. I think what seems to have happened is you have mythologised your own life, creating an impression (in your own mind) that it has been an incomparably rich tapestry of original ideas and emotions so perfect that all attempts at emulation are necessarily futile.

Perhaps you are right but just in case I'll definitely be doing my best to get on. Strangely I think I'd feel less apprehensive if it was an away game but either way if it's on I'll be on.

fleckneymike every single one of your posts in this thread is retarded. Nobody is 'mythologising' anything. Some people just happen to think a pitch invasion would be a fun and fitting way to mark the occasion should we achieve promotion and they are canvassing the views of others. I think what seems to have happened is you have mythologised your own life, creating an impression (in your own mind) that it has been an incomparably rich tapestry of original ideas and emotions so perfect that all attempts at emulation are necessarily futile.

Perhaps you are right but just in case I'll definitely be doing my best to get on. Strangely I think I'd feel less apprehensive if it was an away game but either way if it's on I'll be on.

Why do you think it would be 'fun'?

You've mythologised the past. You've built up the 'experience' into something it never was and never will be. Invading the pitch is now seen as the ultimate expression of passion and collective joy by people who've never actually experienced it first hand. You're harking after a facsimile of the past, creating a simulacrum of joy that never was.

Enjoy football for what it is now, do something which belongs to you don't cling to a festering corpse of myth which only permits you to live vicariously.

Oh so was all the singing and smiling and running around in jubiliation all faked then?

Stop being such a miserable bastard all the while, I've been as negative as anyone as I've fallen out of love with the club over the last 18 months, but even I've woken up on a bit of a high after yesterday.

Stop trying to be the forum rebel who has to be a downbeat killjoy in an attempt to look cleverer than everyone else.

Promotion after burnley, staying up after Oxford, and last game at Filbo. All joyous pitch invasions where we could let the emotion out on the pitch that had given so many good memories over the particular season was strangely liberating, like running around naked and no one caring. Or we could clap rhythmically to simply the best, and rocking all over the world.

Promotion after burnley, staying up after Oxford, and last game at Filbo. All joyous pitch invasions where we could let the emotion out on the pitch that had given so many good memories over the particular season was strangely liberating, like running around naked and no one caring. Or we could clap rhythmically to simply the best, and rocking all over the world.

fuk that

Guest BlueBrett
Why do you think it would be 'fun'?

Well either because I'm young and naive or because I'm not old and embittered depending on your perspective

Oh so was all the singing and smiling and running around in jubiliation all faked then?

Stop being such a miserable bastard all the while, I've been as negative as anyone as I've fallen out of love with the club over the last 18 months, but even I've woken up on a bit of a high after yesterday.

Stop trying to be the forum rebel who has to be a downbeat killjoy in an attempt to look cleverer than everyone else.

Much like we no longer waggle our bowler hats in the air, throw confetti as the team emerges, sing hymns during matches, we no longer view standing on the pitch as a necessary expression of our excitement. Now there are a myriad of reasons why we no longer do these things but I'd hazard a guess that if you suggested waggling your hat to show enjoyment you'd get some funny looks

I'm not being a kill joy, far from it, I'm simply asking why you don't do something different?

fuk that

I should add whilst being deafened by a P.A system that stifles any chants or songs that the supporters want to sing. Maybe one day someone will come up with the radical idea of no music and just letting the fans celebrate with there own chants. Of course this is all getting ahead of ourselves, but what the ****, we know we're going up. :scarf::ph34r:

Stoke and Derby you can get to the advertising hordings from the front row. Our front row has a barrier all along so only exit is the stairs - with L1 being OTT every last game of season it's going to be bloody hard. Forest on the other hand................ :-) :-)

Much like we no longer waggle our bowler hats in the air, throw confetti as the team emerges, sing hymns during matches, we no longer view standing on the pitch as a necessary expression of our excitement. Now there are a myriad of reasons why we no longer do these things but I'd hazard a guess that if you suggested waggling your hat to show enjoyment you'd get some funny looks

I'm not being a kill joy, far from it, I'm simply asking why you don't do something different?

I don't see what your point is.

You've asked what would be fun about it. Despite the fact it's been explained, it's not the point, many people would enjoy it. If you wouldn't then you have every right to not participate and look down your nose at people. But trying to convince people that they shouldn't find it fun is a bit ridiculous.

I've never seen anyone wear a bowler hat at a football match, yet I've seen numerous pitch invasions in modern football. So that comparison is very strange. People have also tried to bring confetti back recently.

The bottom line is, there are a significant number of fans who like the idea of it and would view it, if it was done by thousands, as something very special and enjoyable.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about our fanbase singing in unison and celebrating on the pitch in one huge group?

As for funny looks, if thousands of City fans were on the pitch celebrating I really couldn't care less what faces some boring people were pulling. Each to their own.

Archived