Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joseph Raboomdiay

Ben Marshall

Morning all!

It's my first post on the forum (despite following it for a long period now) so go easy on me!

I just wanted to express my opinions on Ben Marshall, who I think has received plenty of criticism of late, which I personally feel is unjust.

There's no doubt Marshall is evidently slightly lacking confidence this season, however his technical ability doesn't seem to have dropped, as I still see him making runs into spaces for not only himself but to make room for his team-mates, as well as chipping in with 6 goals (correct me if I'm wrong), which I think is a pretty decent record considering he's only 21 and playing just his second season of first-team football.

I also realised that even last season (when many of you seem to be suggesting he was almost unplayable), he very rarely dominated games: even in those matches of which he scored some quality strikes he tended to go missing for periods of them games too; other than his goals he has never been a complete game-changer, and I would not expect him to.

Marshall has became part of a strong team this season and so cannot be our only attacking outlet, which I believe he has recognised and matured greatly as a professional, showing in recent games his constant tracking back to help out our defence, which some other wingers in the league would not be willing to do.

In all, I think the fans should get behind Marshall, giving him plenty of encouragement and support as we all know very much what he is capable of.

I think my opinion on Marshall is based a lot on last season when he was mainly superb.

So I'm comparing him this season, to last.

I don't think he's been bad at all, far from it, but I expected to see more flair from him this season.

At present he looks a decent Championship player, supported by being in a good side.

Hand on heart though, I can see why Stoke were willing to sell him.

This isn't knocking the lad, and I think there's lots more to come from him. I was simply expecting better than what I've seen from him so far.

5 goals and 7 assists isn't a bad for a player who is supposedly having a bad year.

Thinks he's a better start option than Lloyd

Agree with that last point on last nights evidence. If mids had scored their pen last night it would have come directly from a woeful bit of distribution by Lloyd at the other end. Marshall looks to have a lot of promise, and he's due a free kick goal soon.

His haircut is a shocker though

He is inconsistent, probably along with Dyer our most inconsistent player this season.

Everyone expected him to deliver and be a key player this season, but this hasn't happened.

Last night, it was the best I've seen him play for a while, and that's the honest truth, he attacked with promise, beat quite a few players with good pieces of turns and skill and he looked more lively; however his final play/delivery wasn't up to scratch, that was one thing that let him down last night, and disappointed me the most.

He is good enough, but at the moment I wouldn't start him week in week out, because his performances don't warrant a starting place.

He did ok last night. He did some crap things but also some good things with the ball and he tested the defence.

I worry that he's the new Gallagher - he's a similar player; technically good, an eye for the spectacular, can deliver a great pass/cross, but lightweight, poor at tackling and inconsistent. I just hope he doesn't become public enemy number one in the same way.

People talk about last season but at the start of the season I thought he was our best player, and he looked as if he was going to have a great season. He's definitely lost some confidence but will play a part in the remainder of the season. The other option is Dyer, who is probably even more frustrating and inconsistent.

He did ok last night. He did some crap things but also some good things with the ball and he tested the defence.

I worry that he's the new Gallagher - he's a similar player; technically good, an eye for the spectacular, can deliver a great pass/cross, but lightweight, poor at tackling and inconsistent. I just hope he doesn't become public enemy number one in the same way.

People talk about last season but at the start of the season I thought he was our best player, and he looked as if he was going to have a great season. He's definitely lost some confidence but will play a part in the remainder of the season. The other option is Dyer, who is probably even more frustrating and inconsistent.

Gave the ball away, a lot. And don't get me started on that "shot" when he could of pulled it back across the box.

Didn't think he was particularly good last night, one of the worst players in a team that played well, was suprised to see him stay on longer than Knockaert.

Clearly at talented lad, inconsistancy is common among young players. And as it's been said he's not having a great season but's still contributing goals and putting good balls in.

Gave the ball away, a lot. And don't get me started on that "shot" when he could of pulled it back across the box.

Didn't think he was particularly good last night, one of the worst players in a team that played well, was suprised to see him stay on longer than Knockaert.

Clearly at talented lad, inconsistancy is common among young players. And as it's been said he's not having a great season but's still contributing goals and putting good balls in.

Thought he was pretty good myself, from the TV anyway.

Put in some good work defensively but like the rest of our midfield he had few options in possession. Dropping Nugent into midfield helped in the first half but whatever changes we made after the break (not sure what) gave us better possession.

Biggest issue, for me, was the way we tried to sit back and close out the game, hopeless I thought. A very good indicator of why we should always set up to play aggressively, we are awful when we just try to contain.

Overall I think we deserved the point, not by much, 'Boro were very good and made a very good game of it and although second best overall were actually quite unlucky not to get a point late on.

Morning all!

It's my first post on the forum (despite following it for a long period now) so go easy on me!

I just wanted to express my opinions on Ben Marshall, who I think has received plenty of criticism of late, which I personally feel is unjust.

There's no doubt Marshall is evidently slightly lacking confidence this season, however his technical ability doesn't seem to have dropped, as I still see him making runs into spaces for not only himself but to make room for his team-mates, as well as chipping in with 6 goals (correct me if I'm wrong), which I think is a pretty decent record considering he's only 21 and playing just his second season of first-team football.

I also realised that even last season (when many of you seem to be suggesting he was almost unplayable), he very rarely dominated games: even in those matches of which he scored some quality strikes he tended to go missing for periods of them games too; other than his goals he has never been a complete game-changer, and I would not expect him to.

Marshall has became part of a strong team this season and so cannot be our only attacking outlet, which I believe he has recognised and matured greatly as a professional, showing in recent games his constant tracking back to help out our defence, which some other wingers in the league would not be willing to do.

In all, I think the fans should get behind Marshall, giving him plenty of encouragement and support as we all know very much what he is capable of.

Just needs a goal, I haven't heard any fans get on his back?

Thought he was pretty good myself, from the TV anyway.

Put in some good work defensively but like the rest of our midfield he had few options in possession. Dropping Nugent into midfield helped in the first half but whatever changes we made after the break (not sure what) gave us better possession.

Biggest issue, for me, was the way we tried to sit back and close out the game, hopeless I thought. A very good indicator of why we should always set up to play aggressively, we are awful when we just try to contain.

Overall I think we deserved the point, not by much, 'Boro were very good and made a very good game of it and although second best overall were actually quite unlucky not to get a point late on.

Oh I totally agree, don't see that changing any time soon though.

Oh I totally agree, don't see that changing any time soon though.

What really bothers me is that when we set up to start a game in a 'containing' mode we are just as bad....... :(

When we have attempted to do this, (Palace, Leeds, Millwall, Watford etc) we have been beaten, quite badly on occasions, the only thing that is 'contained' by these tactics is our own attacking play....... :frusty:

We need to be aggressive and attacking in every game, if a team counters that and beats us then take it on the chin and move on, won't happen that often...... :thumbup:

What really bothers me is that when we set up to start a game in a 'containing' mode we are just as bad....... :(

When we have attempted to do this, (Palace, Leeds, Millwall, Watford etc) we have been beaten, quite badly on occasions, the only thing that is 'contained' by these tactics is our own attacking play....... :frusty:

We need to be aggressive and attacking in every game, if a team counters that and beats us then take it on the chin and move on, won't happen that often...... :thumbup:

Well not always (Hull, Burnley) But I do agree with you if we start a flat 4-4-2 it is better to try and push for the second than sit back. When you get to the last 10-15 though nearly every proffesional manager will make changes to contain the other team and see the game out something you've got to live with (at the end of the day, their paid to manage football teams, they do know better than us despite what we may think sometimes, it's easy to slate them when it doesn't come off)

Totally agree! I think we may have got slightly ahead of ourselves with his performances last season but hopefully a decent run in the side will help his form and confidence. Glad NP is playing Marshall & Knocky in the same side as I feared this wouldn't happen earlier in the season. Dyer can be a decent impact sub but Marshall should get the nod as he's clearly more creative. He's very young, let's be patient.

Well not always (Hull, Burnley) But I do agree with you if we start a flat 4-4-2 it is better to try and push for the second than sit back. When you get to the last 10-15 though nearly every proffesional manager will make changes to contain the other team and see the game out something you've got to live with (at the end of the day, their paid to manage football teams, they do know better than us despite what we may think sometimes, it's easy to slate them when it doesn't come off)

Fair comment, though the early loss of Austin was a big blow to Burnley, they were poor on the night.

Still think my point holds up well though, we were turned over by Leeds, Watford, Millwall and even Palace at home because we tried to adapt and contain and failed badly. We never really got into any of those games and got what we deserved, nothing.

Sure there will be games that we are going to lose whatever happens but the one thing I really hate is when we do not even try and take it to the opposition..... :(

Archived