Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Club statement re the Middlesboro game

In a similar situation it wouldn't have gone ahead, similarly the Arsenal game that was cancelled due to tube strikes. People couldn't get there, they called it off.

As a season ticket holder I get a ticket to another game if I can't make one, that's in the t's and c's. Others should be afforded the same in this instance as it was a one off situation. It's called good PR and not being a total **** about something the huge majority couldn't help.

Again your quoting a completely different situation for that game the decision was made days before not on the afternoon or evening of the game.

They said they were "liaising regularly with the Football League, the match officials, the relevant local authorities".

And clearly the relevant local authorities didn't have an issue

Why shouldn't the game have been played? The pitch was fine 8500 fans made it, many others chose not too. If anyone deserves something from the club it's the fans that turned out to support their team on a cold night.

Nonsense.

Firstly, why do you keep making out the 12,000 others just couldn't be arsed based on one or two people on here saying they couldn't.

Secondly, for someone who says people not there should get nothing back. I seriously fail to understand how you can come up with the comment that people who actually received what they paid for deserve something instead. :blink:

As the weather forecast became more clear I took the decision on Wednesday not to travel from my home in West London.

Turned out to be a very good call, parts of my route through north london was gridlocked by mid afternoon and even leaving lunchtime (not possible) would not have guaranteed my arrival in time for kick off.

I know someone on here made the trip from Basingstoke, great effort but I assume he used the motorways and did not have to try exiting London during friday rush hour in the snow.

Realistically the game should have been called off by lunchtime friday at the latest, it was only the involvement of Sky and their determination to have a game to broadcast that overruled everything.

Shame..... :(

Nonsense.

Firstly, why do you keep making out the 12,000 others just couldn't be arsed based on one or two people on here saying they couldn't.

Secondly, for someone who says people not there should get nothing back. I seriously fail to understand how you can come up with the comment that people who actually received what they paid for deserve something instead. :blink:

Come on then how far do you live from the ground? How far away and at what time did you give up on making the game?

Again your quoting a completely different situation for that game the decision was made days before not on the afternoon or evening of the game.

Why is it different? The decision could have been made at 3pm before anyone had even set out. It was pretty clear things would get no better as rush hour approached.

And clearly the relevant local authorities didn't have an issue

The point being, which you have missed again. Why do they have a problem with busy roads when tigers and city play (no longer allowed on the same day due to congestion impeding emergency services. And they don't have a problem adding potentially another 22,000 people and god knows how many cars into an already gridlocked city?

Come on then how far do you live from the ground? How far away and at what time did you give up on making the game?

I live exactly on the edge of the green zone posted earlier in Wigston, but I work in Syston and have to catch buses. I left work just after 3pm and didn't get in until gone 7pm. By the time I'd been toilet (see the weather thread), got changed and started out it would have been around 7.30. It's an hours walk on a good day, a fair bit more than that walking in the snow/ice. I would say the earliest for me to get there would have been 8.45pm.

The people I go with were in exactly the same situation coming from other parts of the city.

I live exactly on the edge of the green zone posted earlier in Wigston, but I work in Syston and have to catch buses. I left work just after 3pm and didn't get in until gone 7pm. By the time I'd been toilet (see the weather thread), got changed and started out it would have been around 7.30. It's an hours walk on a good day, a fair bit more than that walking in the snow/ice. I would say the earliest for me to get there would have been 8.45pm.

The people I go with were in exactly the same situation coming from other parts of the city.

So you set out at 7.30 for an 8:00 kick off? Knowing it was an hours walk? Or you didn't bother leaving home because you knew it would e 8:45 before you got there?

So you set out at 7.30 for an 8:00 kick off? Knowing it was an hours walk? Or you didn't bother leaving home because you knew it would e 8:45 before you got there?

Did you see the conditions? If not, you should drop it mate. Around 3pm the whole city went to shit, it took me 2 hours to complete a normally 20 mins journey to do the school run at 4pm and that's within the green circle

No I set out at 3pm for a 7.45pm kickoff... foolishly presuming nearly 5 hours was enough time to make a journey that would normally take a couple of hours at the most.

I left the house at 7.30 thinking I'd miss some of the first half if I jogged a bit, but turned back when I realised it was going to be more like a shuffle to the ground than a jog.

Still second half to see, not bad ;) . The goal, penalty save, Morgans block... Don't forget about half-time pint and pie :thumbup:

This.

kingpower_zps4f7fde81.png

The green area is 2,5 miles radius around the King Power Stadium, easy (even with snow) one-hour walking distance basically.

Everyone inside this 'green zone' with the ticket and able to walk... - No excuses :P

Yeah because nobody at all had any trouble getting back from work on Friday after a hard week to get ready to enjoy over an hour of trudging through the snow. :rolleyes:

As the weather forecast became more clear I took the decision on Wednesday not to travel from my home in West London.

Turned out to be a very good call, parts of my route through north london was gridlocked by mid afternoon and even leaving lunchtime (not possible) would not have guaranteed my arrival in time for kick off.

I know someone on here made the trip from Basingstoke, great effort but I assume he used the motorways and did not have to try exiting London during friday rush hour in the snow.

Realistically the game should have been called off by lunchtime friday at the latest, it was only the involvement of Sky and their determination to have a game to broadcast that overruled everything.

Shame..... :(

I agree, but on other hand, It would have been interesting to know what the attendance would have been if it wasn't on SKY as I think a few more would have attempted the trip to the ground.

I agree, but on other hand, It would have been interesting to know what the attendance would have been if it wasn't on SKY as I think a few more would have attempted the trip to the ground.

I'm sure there would, I'd also bet there would be even more pissed off people on here because they didn't see any of the action.

I bet there are some poor sods out there probably paid £20, couldn't get there and didn't even have the luxury of watching it on sky tv.

Sky probably added to the low attendance, but it still would've been low even TV hadn't been involved.

People would rather have been there who had tickets, it must've been a difficult choice to admit they couldn't go.

Do season ticket holders still get the ticket exchange thing? The people that brought tickets should at least get a ticket for Wolves for a fiver or something, any sort of good will gesture.

------>

I emailed the club and they replied saying i can have a ticket exchange for any gold fixture which is handy because my mate wants to watch wolves.

It is a hard situation all round, but let's look at the facts:

- The Deputy Mayor stated on the radio in the run up to kick off that neither the City authorities, nor the Police (since it happened to be an un-policed fixture) had any more than an ADVISORY role to play. I.E. they did not have the power to call it off, that rested with the club. This means all arguments by people on here about Police previously preventing games going ahead due to safety/traffic are invalid.

- If the game was not on Sky, I imagine it would not have been played - much like the Ipswich away fixture a couple of seasons ago, but hey-ho that is the modern game.

- If the club was going to cancel the game, they would have had to do it earlier in the day - once the 8,500 people got into the ground only for it to be cancelled it may have been an even worse PR disaster, angering those that actually made it in despite the weather/traffic!

- Since there was a Pie & Pint offer, I think the best course of action would be to offer all those that present an unused ticket a Pie & pint at the next game (or a £5-£10 voucher for the shop) this would be a good compromise.

As a side note - I managed to get there on time from Loughborough (using the A6) with my Dad & brother. We left at 5:30pm and got to the ground around 7:40pm. It sounds like the traffic in the City centre was worst earlier in the afternoon around 3pm, so we were lucky there! It was stop-start past Red Hill roundabout, but we were never stationary for more than 5mins at a time.

I do understand that some people simply could not get there (due to gridlock, having to go home first etc and then not having enough time to get to the ground) but I do agree with those that say that if you lived within 2-3miles of the ground and had the time to walk, you could and should have gone! There was FAR TOO MUCH talk by Radio Leicester about how bad the pavements were - but in our experience they were snowy but passable, as the snow had not been there for days to compact into ice for example.

A complete non story this.

The club are responsible for getting the game on.

The council and police for your safety getting to and from.

The game went ahead. No one died.

Can we stop this bollocks about the clubs not caring anymore. When was this golden time when they did? When they installed fencing to keep you off the pitch? When the toilets were effectively open sewers? When they crammed in as many as they could?

You missed a game because it snowed. End of.

nor the Police (since it happened to be an un-policed fixture) had any more than an ADVISORY role to play. I.E. they did not have the power to call it off, that rested with the club.

I would be very interested to know what they advised the club.

Having read this thread there's to many posts to reply to, but why do the majority think they have the right to moan and complain that they didn't get there.

How many chose not to try?

how many turned round having had enough?

I live 10 miles or so outside the city centre, yes it took an hour and a half to get to fosse road, yes we had to jump out of our cars and walk the rest of the way, but we set off at 5 pm to give us the time to do it.

Are the club responsible for the fact that most the country can't drive or panic in a few inches of snow, sitting blocking junctions causing chaos etc.

What do you think the club owes the people who turned up? The boro fans who made it a dam site further than most of us lot. The boro players, the fact it was on sky on a friday night. Should they give no consideration to that?

What do you think the outcome would have been had they told 8.5k in the ground as you can see the pitch is fine but fcuk off home now, because the majority sat at home in the warm won't be happy.

I think the moan-in will be a miss tonight but to stir things up I may ring and ask what the club intend to do for the loyal supporters who made it.

I made a splash at maine road style!!!!

Archived