Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

4 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Slightly off topic. 

Wondering if anyone here pays for a fitness programme or any kind of gym programming specifically to improve their golfing performance?

I'm looking to set up an evening with my local club in Barnsley with a free talk on strength and conditioning in golf but not sure what levels of interest there would be in this area.  Obviously players like Bryson are paving the way for the big hitter route but there's a lot more to being strong and robust and how that can improve performance. 

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of undertaking that kind of work, or if those who did have interest in it and it was available to you what would you be looking for.

Ive never gone in the gym to improve my golf, but i do overspeed training with weighted sticks. This is slightly different to a gym routine though, overspeed is more about training your body to move quickly.

I think as for the idea of strength and conditioning for golf, I  think youll get a good response from good players who need to boost their athleticism to compete at good amateur or pro levels but also from keen players who are maybe aeging a little, who want to slow down that process.

I think itll take a certain type of client though.... id say at least 90% if not more players including myself just need to work on their golf technique, ESPECIALLY chipping and putting. Without that, the gym work is less relevant.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Ive never gone in the gym to improve my golf, but i do overspeed training with weighted sticks. This is slightly different to a gym routine though, overspeed is more about training your body to move quickly.

I think as for the idea of strength and conditioning for golf, I  think youll get a good response from good players who need to boost their athleticism to compete at good amateur or pro levels but also from keen players who are maybe aeging a little, who want to slow down that process.

I think itll take a certain type of client though.... id say at least 90% if not more players including myself just need to work on their golf technique, ESPECIALLY chipping and putting. Without that, the gym work is less relevant.

Cheers for the reply mate. Yes my thoughts were it would probably be more appealing for those who player at a higher standard.

I wasn't sure if it was something that was offered around at other clubs. I play myself for fun, no membership, have noticed an improvement in my game since I've been aligning my training to my golf. As you say any real improvements in my score will come from the actual technique coaching side as it's the lack of consistency/mistakes that let me down. 

Cheers again!

15 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Slightly off topic. 

Wondering if anyone here pays for a fitness programme or any kind of gym programming specifically to improve their golfing performance?

I'm looking to set up an evening with my local club in Barnsley with a free talk on strength and conditioning in golf but not sure what levels of interest there would be in this area.  Obviously players like Bryson are paving the way for the big hitter route but there's a lot more to being strong and robust and how that can improve performance. 

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of undertaking that kind of work, or if those who did have interest in it and it was available to you what would you be looking for.

It would be interesting to know what the average age of your audience would be. Assuming it'll be club members that attend, there's a good chance a lot will be over 60. If that's the case, the biggest issue for them could possibly be avoiding injury.

My Dad's in his late 70's and still plays but all he talks about is the injuries him and his mates constantly have. Bad backs, dodgy knees, tennis elbow, etc.etc. I imagine most older golfers would benefit from some sort of stretching routine like Miguel Jimenez does (and something they can do at home rather than at the gym) 

For most club golfers it's just about enjoyment of the game, so any help you can give them on staying fit and healthy would be greatly appreciated I would imagine.

On 20/02/2022 at 21:46, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Hi mate great post

My dads 72 now but I got him a set of Sim 2 irons last year with lightweight graphite shafts, and it gave him a new lease of life and an extra clubs worth of distance.

I think the good thing about the handicapping system now too, is that it only includes your best golf, best 8 out of 20 rounds. I actually like this a lot more than the old system of every round counting, because back in the day to make handicap advances, youd have to be playing considerably better than your current handicap for an extended period to actually lower your handicap.

To be scratch (to use an extreme example) youd have to be capable of playing under par rounds over 50% of the time, because every round over +1 on that old system would see you go up 0.1 again.

So effectively, as a scratch handicap, youd have to shoot numerous rounds of 3, 4 under par (or under the old SSS if it was a particularly hard course) to BE a scratch.

Under this system now, I think it reflects the ability you have within you a little more. It shows you what youre capable of on top form, and i like that it frees you up to play aggressively. If you have a really bad round, you can just forget about it, it wont count. But in your 8 counting rounds youll probably have 2 great ones, 3 good ones, 3 decent ones.....less pressure i think.

I forgot to reply to this the other day. I’ve never had an old style handicap, but to me, having an index also makes perfect sense. The contrast in courses means it makes sense. Six Hills near Melton is a pretty easy course, whereas Longcliffe is bloody hard. It should make sense that my handicap is adjusted in accordance with where I’m playing. 

Yeah I love my SIM stuff, even if I do look like I’m sponsored by them 😅

Im off to Loughborough College this evening where my golf coach has opened up an indoor room with GC Quad. Looking forward to him hopefully telling me why I often hit my 3 Wood as far as my Driver! 

13 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

As a high handicapper myself, this is exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post you were replying to.

I’m in absolutely no way dismissive of gym work to improve my golf- if it’s good enough for Bryson it’s good enough for Stu. 

But I’d much prefer to get out and have 9 holes (or 18!) after work rather than grafting in a gym. I feel this would help me more than anything.

However, I’ve had a bit of grief with tennis elbow (not golfers- that’s different apparently) and had some physiotherapy on it a few weeks ago to see if it would help. Potentially @LcFc_Smivgym work would help people in that situation, where maybe they just need to strengthen the muscles around that area? 

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

It would be interesting to know what the average age of your audience would be. Assuming it'll be club members that attend, there's a good chance a lot will be over 60. If that's the case, the biggest issue for them could possibly be avoiding injury.

My Dad's in his late 70's and still plays but all he talks about is the injuries him and his mates constantly have. Bad backs, dodgy knees, tennis elbow, etc.etc. I imagine most older golfers would benefit from some sort of stretching routine like Miguel Jimenez does (and something they can do at home rather than at the gym) 

For most club golfers it's just about enjoyment of the game, so any help you can give them on staying fit and healthy would be greatly appreciated I would imagine.

10 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

As a high handicapper myself, this is exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post you were replying to.

I’m in absolutely no way dismissive of gym work to improve my golf- if it’s good enough for Bryson it’s good enough for Stu. 

But I’d much prefer to get out and have 9 holes (or 18!) after work rather than grafting in a gym. I feel this would help me more than anything.

However, I’ve had a bit of grief with tennis elbow (not golfers- that’s different apparently) and had some physiotherapy on it a few weeks ago to see if it would help. Potentially @LcFc_Smivgym work would help people in that situation, where maybe they just need to strengthen the muscles around that area? 

Thanks both, appreciate your replies.

That's a great point. I didn't consider that clubs tend to have a lot of older members. I play with one of my mates and his dad every once in his while and he has a different ache/pain/injury pretty much every time we play.

Definitely get the point about getting out and playing more golf, not dismissive it all, it's the reason I posted the question on here to get honest views.

A lot of my previous work has been in injury prevention, so definitely something to consider in how I can approach it.

Again, appreciate the replies!

• Like 1

I think Zach Johnson is an excellent appointment as the next US Ryder Cup captain. And having Sticker as one of his assistants is a smart move too.

I know the US haven’t won in Europe for 30 years, but I fancy they might well buck the trend next year.

Will be interesting to see who Europe go for as captain. Looks like it’s between Karlson, Stenson or Donald and I’d probably go with Stenson.

• Like 1

I do like Zach. really stands out as a man who got the absolute most out of his game throughout his career.

Come 2 years time I could see a much closer matchup too. When you look at the talent coming through the european tour with Migliozzi, the Hojgaards, Bob Macintyre to name but a few with a hopefully in form Rahm, Rory, Hovi..... tantilising

23 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Just played my first round in what must be 10 years.

Absolutely loved it, the irons need a bit of work! Shot a 91, I was aiming to break 100, so really pleased with it.

Can't wait to go again!

Love that, what course was this? how was the condition given the recent rain?

1 hour ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Love that, what course was this? how was the condition given the recent rain?

Delapre in Northampton. 

The course will be lovely come spring, but it was in awful condition, purely down to the recent weather.

Very boggy, plugged on almost every fairway, although that made the greens more receptive lol

Winter tees are horrible too, but I totally understand why they do it.

Want to get a few rounds in whilst it's like that so it seems so much easier in better conditions.

I used to be pretty good and play twice a week up until about 2012, never had an official handicap, but could go round a par 72 in the low 80's, hitting my best rounds of 78 twice.

Definitely got the bug back!

Was hitting my 3 wood around 260 with a lovely fade. I keep the driver in the bag, because it really turns into a big slice.

First hole is a 330 yard par 4, hit a 16 degree hybrid straight down the middle, put a 9 iron 6 foot away from the pin and was thinking 'this shit is easy' lol 2 putted it though!

Did manage 5 pars and had a number of birdie putts, so pretty chuffed.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Delapre in Northampton. 

The course will be lovely come spring, but it was in awful condition, purely down to the recent weather.

Very boggy, plugged on almost every fairway, although that made the greens more receptive lol

Winter tees are horrible too, but I totally understand why they do it.

Want to get a few rounds in whilst it's like that so it seems so much easier in better conditions.

I used to be pretty good and play twice a week up until about 2012, never had an official handicap, but could go round a par 72 in the low 80's, hitting my best rounds of 78 twice.

Definitely got the bug back!

Was hitting my 3 wood around 260 with a lovely fade. I keep the driver in the bag, because it really turns into a big slice.

First hole is a 330 yard par 4, hit a 16 degree hybrid straight down the middle, put a 9 iron 6 foot away from the pin and was thinking 'this shit is easy' lol 2 putted it though!

Did manage 5 pars and had a number of birdie putts, so pretty chuffed.

Nice! youll have no trouble breaking 80 regularly if you can hit your 3 wood 260.... thats PGA tour type length. (Assuming it goes straight-ish).

Some good courses down in Northampton.

Northamptonshire County the obvious standout, but Cold Ashby is a nice one too

• Like 1

On 21/02/2022 at 16:37, LcFc_Smiv said:

Slightly off topic. 

Just out of interest which muscle groups do you target? I’ve been working on my legs and core during the winter months and

I'm hoping this will add some distance to my driving.

1 minute ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Nice! youll have no trouble breaking 80 regularly if you can hit your 3 wood 260.... thats PGA tour type length. (Assuming it goes straight-ish).

Some good courses down in Northampton.

Northamptonshire County the obvious standout, but Cold Ashby is a nice one too

The 3 wood has a really nice left to right shape. Most courses I've played are set up for a fader of the ball. I'll be in massive trouble if I need to draw a tee shot! 

Just getting back in to the swing of things, no pun intended, then I'll look at playing other courses. 

I work in Bedford, so tempted to spend a few quid and have a round at Woburn with my boss towards the end of summer.

Beg, steal and borrow for my clubs at the minute. I've always got on well with Taylormade stuff.

The Mrs is moaning about it! 

Borrowed some Titlesist irons from my father in law, got a Taylormade SLDR driver and Burner 3 wood off a mate. Just bought a new Taylormade Patina putter.

Also got an old hybrid from golfdidder for about 30 quid, one of the original Taylormade ones, but I love them.

Need a couple of wedges, probably a 56 and 60.

Really need to get irons though. I need a combo set with bladed short irons, much better feel and precision from 150 in and around the green.

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The 3 wood has a really nice left to right shape. Most courses I've played are set up for a fader of the ball. I'll be in massive trouble if I need to draw a tee shot! 

Just getting back in to the swing of things, no pun intended, then I'll look at playing other courses. 

I work in Bedford, so tempted to spend a few quid and have a round at Woburn with my boss towards the end of summer.

Beg, steal and borrow for my clubs at the minute. I've always got on well with Taylormade stuff.

The Mrs is moaning about it! 

Borrowed some Titlesist irons from my father in law, got a Taylormade SLDR driver and Burner 3 wood off a mate. Just bought a new Taylormade Patina putter.

Also got an old hybrid from golfdidder for about 30 quid, one of the original Taylormade ones, but I love them.

Need a couple of wedges, probably a 56 and 60.

Really need to get irons though. I need a combo set with bladed short irons, much better feel and precision from 150 in and around the green.

If you like Taylormade, id probably go combo set with P790 in your long irons depending on what bag set up you go with, then id go P770 short irons. Theyre cavity back but thin and feel good.

But if you want blades, then youve got to go mizuno for the feel. Mizuno do a system at pro shops who sell them called swing DNA, well worth trying out as it recommends shaft options and lie angles based on a few factors.

To be honest though, i wouldnt necessarily go all in and limit yourself to blades, choosing irons which give you the best launch angles and spin rates is the way forward. Look at the best players in the world. They strike the ball out the middle of the club almost all the time. and dont really need forgiveness....not all of them use blades. All about flight and spin.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

If you like Taylormade, id probably go combo set with P790 in your long irons depending on what bag set up you go with, then id go P770 short irons. Theyre cavity back but thin and feel good.

But if you want blades, then youve got to go mizuno for the feel. Mizuno do a system at pro shops who sell them called swing DNA, well worth trying out as it recommends shaft options and lie angles based on a few factors.

To be honest though, i wouldnt necessarily go all in and limit yourself to blades, choosing irons which give you the best launch angles and spin rates is the way forward. Look at the best players in the world. They strike the ball out the middle of the club almost all the time. and dont really need forgiveness....not all of them use blades. All about flight and spin.

Like most of golf, it's a psychological thing for me, the bladed short irons give me the confidence that I'll nail an approach shot, as opposed to a chunky oversized club.

Thinking of getting a used set from golfbidder for now, just to get everything I'd like. 

There were some Taylormade TP irons on there, but sold out now.

I had a set of Nike Pro Combos years ago, absolutely loved them!

Once I've got everything I need from used places, I'll slowly upgrade. It ain't cheap!

The putter I've bought was £180, down from £280, but I'd happily blow £350 on a Scotty Cameron lol

43 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Just out of interest which muscle groups do you target? I’ve been working on my legs and core during the winter months and

I'm hoping this will add some distance to my driving.

Everything from legs to upper body work and core. Force is generated through the legs (start of the swing) up the chain to the upper body (top of the swing) then moves back down into the legs again and into the floor (downswing and follow through). Your trying to make the chain strong and efficient so that you lose as little of that force generated as possible through the phases of movement. You'll see a lot of gimmicky training and insta exercises targeted towards golfers because they look fun and like a golf swing. In truth 99% of players need a simple full body strength programme that incorporates all movement patterns.

• Thanks 1

If anyone is looking for a good course to play when the weather is wet, definitely give Sutton Coldfield G.C a try.

Went today and given the time of year, the course really was in tip top condition. Has some fantastic holes on it, particularly like the sweeping dogleg downhill and left to right on the 4th, 11th is a tricky tee shot as the hole gently moves right to left but the fairway cambers from left to right and then youre presented with a multi tiered green guarded by a steep faced bunker short left. The finishing stretch 15-18 is really hard....all 4 holes play into the prevailing wind and 18 especially needs a well struck tee shot and approach as the hole moves uphill.

The heather is dormant at the moment and the course is quite generous off the tee, but its well worth a round and in summer when the heather is out it would look brilliant. European Tour player Robert Rock is attached there.

My game was super rusty today and got a lot of work to do. Only been out 3 times this year so far, this being the third. Think a combination of fitness and lack of practice was hurting me. I was +3 through 14 although i felt i was playing terrible really. Then played the last 4 in +6 into a stiff breeze to sign for an 81 :( :(

I do strangely however feel quite confident of having a good season this season. When the light nights come, i think i can get the chipping and putting into good shape fairly quickly. Swing feels ok on the range but the course is a different animal completely!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The feeling when you read threads like this, and realise you've had your Dad's old golf clubs sitting in the cupboard for years without being used...  :whistle:

IIRC the last course I tried to play at with my girlfriend at the time was back in Leeds, but she gave up part way through because it was too hilly, (not that I was complaining, since I was (and probably still am) pretty unfit, too!)  Let me see if I can figure out which one it was...  A ha - Gotts Park.  If I'm going to try and play again, I'd need a little pitch and putt or driving range to practice first...  (There was/is a little course in Loughborough wasn't there?  I'm sure I remember my Dad taking me there a couple of times when I was younger...)  I dread to think how expensive golf is in/around London though :P 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

The feeling when you read threads like this, and realise you've had your Dad's old golf clubs sitting in the cupboard for years without being used...  :whistle:

IIRC the last course I tried to play at with my girlfriend at the time was back in Leeds, but she gave up part way through because it was too hilly, (not that I was complaining, since I was (and probably still am) pretty unfit, too!)  Let me see if I can figure out which one it was...  A ha - Gotts Park.  If I'm going to try and play again, I'd need a little pitch and putt or driving range to practice first...  (There was/is a little course in Loughborough wasn't there?  I'm sure I remember my Dad taking me there a couple of times when I was younger...)  I dread to think how expensive golf is in/around London though :P 

Yeah there’s a par 3 course at Shelthorpe I think - not sure if it’s still there or not

The two lads we beat today are actually sort of mates of ours. I know one of them from plumbing circles and my partner went to school with the other lad.

They’re members at Lingdale. The pair we beat in the first round were at Lingdale too (we played them at their course in December) 

It turns out that the pairing in December actually complained to Mizuno about us 😂

I can only assume that they were questioning our handicaps (I’m 22 index, my mates 18.9) We are high, but we genuinely do play to our handicaps at Longcliffe  (or at least we were doing until the winter tees and fairway mats came into force) Since then we’re obviously not allowed to put a card in, and the 8th and 9th are currently closed anyway.

That original round at Lingdale when they complained about us just happened to be about the best golf we’ve ever played in our lives- Although it was matchplay and didn’t putt out everything, I went round in about 87 and my mate 82 if you account the gimmes.

Fact of the matter is, if you want to play better golf, play at the hardest courses

35 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeah there’s a par 3 course at Shelthorpe I think - not sure if it’s still there or not

The two lads we beat today are actually sort of mates of ours. I know one of them from plumbing circles and my partner went to school with the other lad.

They’re members at Lingdale. The pair we beat in the first round were at Lingdale too (we played them at their course in December) 

It turns out that the pairing in December actually complained to Mizuno about us 😂

I can only assume that they were questioning our handicaps (I’m 22 index, my mates 18.9) We are high, but we genuinely do play to our handicaps at Longcliffe  (or at least we were doing until the winter tees and fairway mats came into force) Since then we’re obviously not allowed to put a card in, and the 8th and 9th are currently closed anyway.

That original round at Lingdale when they complained about us just happened to be about the best golf we’ve ever played in our lives- Although it was matchplay and didn’t putt out everything, I went round in about 87 and my mate 82 if you account the gimmes.

Fact of the matter is, if you want to play better golf, play at the hardest courses

I'm not sure if I could afford to lose THAT many golf balls? :P  (TBH Gotts park seemed plenty hard enough at the time!)

7 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

I'm not sure if I could afford to lose THAT many golf balls? :P  (TBH Gotts park seemed plenty hard enough at the time!)

My comment about playing the hardest courses wasn’t aimed at you- I’m sorry if it sounded that way

It was aimed at the couple who complained about us. 

My point was, that my home course has improved my round absolutely no end. So in theory I’m a better golf than someone who plays with the same handicap index but at an easier course

Golf ball wise- my missus goes to charity shops and gets them for me. She picked up about 500 for £10. I ended up going back and giving them another £10 😅😅

I’ve stopped using them now quite so much and stick with Callaway Triple Track which I use in comps anyway. 

Like I say, sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you- it most definitely wasn’t. I’m hardly Tiger Woods myself 😅

• Like 2