Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeah there’s a par 3 course at Shelthorpe I think - not sure if it’s still there or not

The two lads we beat today are actually sort of mates of ours. I know one of them from plumbing circles and my partner went to school with the other lad.

They’re members at Lingdale. The pair we beat in the first round were at Lingdale too (we played them at their course in December) 

It turns out that the pairing in December actually complained to Mizuno about us 😂

I can only assume that they were questioning our handicaps (I’m 22 index, my mates 18.9) We are high, but we genuinely do play to our handicaps at Longcliffe  (or at least we were doing until the winter tees and fairway mats came into force) Since then we’re obviously not allowed to put a card in, and the 8th and 9th are currently closed anyway.

That original round at Lingdale when they complained about us just happened to be about the best golf we’ve ever played in our lives- Although it was matchplay and didn’t putt out everything, I went round in about 87 and my mate 82 if you account the gimmes.

Fact of the matter is, if you want to play better golf, play at the hardest courses

It's stuff like this that gives golf a bad rep for being played by fuddy duddy old twats.

How the fvck can they 'complain' if you've got official handicaps - idiots!

Well done for kicking their arse :thumbup:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's stuff like this that gives golf a bad rep for being played by fuddy duddy old twats.

How the fvck can they 'complain' if you've got official handicaps - idiots!

Well done for kicking their arse :thumbup:

I suppose people protect them by only putting in their bad scores. I’m sure it goes on, and this comp is supposedly rife with it. But it’s not what me and my mate are about. 

Every true golfer wants a low handicap 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

The Arnold Palmer Invitational is absolute carnage 😂😂

It’s great isn’t it :D

Lovely to see the worlds best get all smacked arse when the course wins. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I suppose people protect them by only putting in their bad scores. I’m sure it goes on, and this comp is supposedly rife with it. But it’s not what me and my mate are about. 

Every true golfer wants a low handicap 

The really sad thing is, there is a group of people out there who dont get the enjoyment 99% of people get like you and me, where we go out and try and lower our handicaps and get the enjoyment from the continual improvement.

Theres actually a group of people out there that will manipulate their handicaps to go out to an open somewhere and clean up some prizes. These are the sort of people under the old handicapping system who used to love getting 0.1 back on their handicap. Nowadays with best 8 of 20, even know theyre still manipulating their handicaps.

Im surprised at the conduct of those who complained about you.

Firstly, scores do tend to be better in matchplay, because of the format. Youll try and play more aggressively naturally, because often theres little consequence if things go wrong. You have a putt for a half lefts say, youre going to be aggressive and try and hole it, no matter what kind of putt it is. Because the next putt is irrelevant. You wouldnt play the same way in a medal for example, but BECAUSE of that, scores tend to improve.

So its no surprise to me you had low scores in matchplay.

Secondly, you have to accept sometimes youve been beaten. Maybe it feels worse for them because its on their own patch, but tough, they got beat. Its golf a lot can happen.

On handicapping, you mentioned playing a tough course was a way to lower the handicap and get better.

Ill slightly expand on your thoughts on this.

A legitimate way to get a low handicap is to play a LONG course. Obviously this assumes that you can hit the ball decently.

Length is considered the single most important factor in determining how hard a golf course is when the course is assessed. It sounds daunting at first, but if you can play a course thats 6,800-7,000 yards long, this course will have an extremely high course and slope rating. There are courses like this dotted around with a set of tees that far back. Rutland Water for example has a set of tees at just around 6,900 yards. Seacroft has a set of tees at 6,900 too.

If you play these courses well, your score will be significantly lower relative to the course rating, than if you play a short, tight layout.

But its not as hard as you might think. Just because youre going into the green with say an 8 iron at the short course but then a 6 iron at the long course, it doesnt mean to say youll always knock the 8 iron close....ultimately no matter what the length of the course, a greenside bunker shot is a greenside bunker shot, an 80 yard pitch is an 80 yard pitch, a chip is a chip, and an 8 foot putt is an 8 foot putt.

Lets also say youve got a par 5..... You can make that hole LONG, and it doesnt matter. If you cant reach the green in two, youre wedging in. You can wedge in from 30 yards, you can wedge in from 130 yards....So the hole could effectively be 580-600 yards long, and if you think about it and can hit a decent ball, youre STILL wedging.

So yardage isnt as big a worry as you might think.

These are the perfect courses to cut your handicap on.

Its a key factor in how ive spent a long time hovering around a 1 handicap, because I used to play these courses. I played Rutland Water for a good few years, and I also played Park Hill which is where Leicester's training ground is now. Both tracks can play super long, but both are open off the tee and very scorable if you play well.

Edited by Smashing-Pumpkin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

The really sad thing is, there is a group of people out there who dont get the enjoyment 99% of people get like you and me, where we go out and try and lower our handicaps and get the enjoyment from the continual improvement.

Theres actually a group of people out there that will manipulate their handicaps to go out to an open somewhere and clean up some prizes. These are the sort of people under the old handicapping system who used to love getting 0.1 back on their handicap. Nowadays with best 8 of 20, even know theyre still manipulating their handicaps.

Im surprised at the conduct of those who complained about you.

Firstly, scores do tend to be better in matchplay, because of the format. Youll try and play more aggressively naturally, because often theres little consequence if things go wrong. You have a putt for a half lefts say, youre going to be aggressive and try and hole it, no matter what kind of putt it is. Because the next putt is irrelevant. You wouldnt play the same way in a medal for example, but BECAUSE of that, scores tend to improve.

So its no surprise to me you had low scores in matchplay.

Secondly, you have to accept sometimes youve been beaten. Maybe it feels worse for them because its on their own patch, but tough, they got beat. Its golf a lot can happen.

On handicapping, you mentioned playing a tough course was a way to lower the handicap and get better.

Ill slightly expand on your thoughts on this.

A legitimate way to get a low handicap is to play a LONG course. Obviously this assumes that you can hit the ball decently.

Length is considered the single most important factor in determining how hard a golf course is when the course is assessed. It sounds daunting at first, but if you can play a course thats 6,800-7,000 yards long, this course will have an extremely high course and slope rating. There are courses like this dotted around with a set of tees that far back. Rutland Water for example has a set of tees at just around 6,900 yards. Seacroft has a set of tees at 6,900 too.

If you play these courses well, your score will be significantly lower relative to the course rating, than if you play a short, tight layout.

But its not as hard as you might think. Just because youre going into the green with say an 8 iron at the short course but then a 6 iron at the long course, it doesnt mean to say youll always knock the 8 iron close....ultimately no matter what the length of the course, a greenside bunker shot is a greenside bunker shot, an 80 yard pitch is an 80 yard pitch, a chip is a chip, and an 8 foot putt is an 8 foot putt.

Lets also say youve got a par 5..... You can make that hole LONG, and it doesnt matter. If you cant reach the green in two, youre wedging in. You can wedge in from 30 yards, you can wedge in from 130 yards....So the hole could effectively be 580-600 yards long, and if you think about it and can hit a decent ball, youre STILL wedging.

So yardage isnt as big a worry as you might think.

These are the perfect courses to cut your handicap on.

Its a key factor in how ive spent a long time hovering around a 1 handicap, because I used to play these courses. I played Rutland Water for a good few years, and I also played Park Hill which is where Leicester's training ground is now. Both tracks can play super long, but both are open off the tee and very scorable if you play well.

Have you played Longcliffe before? It’s not particularly long I don’t think- Whites- 6612 Yellows 6418

The slope rating is 138 but I think that’s more down to how fast the greens are in the summer (they run at about 11) and how narrow some of the fairways are.

Matchplay just seems to suit us nicely. I played on Saturday there too with a different mate. I went out in 31 (8th and 9th are closed) and came back in in 48. 

About a month ago I was level par thru 6, went out in 30 (last two holes closed again) and came back in in 48. 

On both occasions though I was shooting close to my handicap, if you take into account the fairway mats (even out the rough!) and the winter tees which are considerably better located.

Im very susceptible to a bad few holes- I shot 3x 7’s on Saturday on the back 9! Then birdied another 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Obviously in matchplay none of the above matters too much (as long as you can keep your head) providing your partner turns up on your bad holes- which mine does

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

18 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

Gotts Park

Christ, yeah, very hilly! That first tee shot is stunning though, off the bank and down in to the valley with the view of headingley stadium behind. It used to be a nice municipal but it’s gone downhill a bit now, I imagine due to a cut in council funding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Christ, yeah, very hilly! That first tee shot is stunning though, off the bank and down in to the valley with the view of headingley stadium behind. It used to be a nice municipal but it’s gone downhill a bit now, I imagine due to a cut in council funding. 

TBH, apart from Leicester winning the League and FA Cup, and me definitely being better off, it's been downhill for the planet since I left Leeds :P 

5 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Have you played Longcliffe before? It’s not particularly long I don’t think- Whites- 6612 Yellows 6418

The slope rating is 138 but I think that’s more down to how fast the greens are in the summer (they run at about 11) and how narrow some of the fairways are.

Matchplay just seems to suit us nicely. I played on Saturday there too with a different mate. I went out in 31 (8th and 9th are closed) and came back in in 48. 

About a month ago I was level par thru 6, went out in 30 (last two holes closed again) and came back in in 48. 

On both occasions though I was shooting close to my handicap, if you take into account the fairway mats (even out the rough!) and the winter tees which are considerably better located.

Im very susceptible to a bad few holes- I shot 3x 7’s on Saturday on the back 9! Then birdied another 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Obviously in matchplay none of the above matters too much (as long as you can keep your head) providing your partner turns up on your bad holes- which mine does

Hi there

I have played longcliffe, ive not been back for about im guessing 8 or 9 years though.

Its a good course, it doesnt surprise me that the course and slope ratings are high, as on a few holes there is very little room for error. Theres all kinds of criteria they use to work out how hard the course is.

Course rating is the key number, thats what your handicap is based off in terms of the index. Slope rating then tells you how much harder a course becomes for a higher handicapper, hence the number of shots you get on the day. A good system i think, it recognises that as a course gets harder, the higher handicapper is more affected than the lower handicapper. Makes a lot of sense and keeps it enjoyable.

I was always a fan of the 7th (think its the 7th?) from the elevated tee, hitting down to a lower cambered fairway, the green looks like its shared with another green. And then you play the 8th which i think is another great hole, a long challenging par 5 that rewards a good tee shot.

I cant remember what i shot the last time i went there, it was around +5 I think which not being my home track and not ideally suiting my game i was happy with (dare i say it, im a bit bomb and gouge..... can crank the driver up to 115-116 on an accomodating hole). Im a 1 handicap, but the misconception people have is a 1 handicap shoots +1 all the time. Not the case. I used to be pretty consistent but nowadays, my scores range from hovering around par or even going maybe -1, but you can just as easily shoot an 81 or 82 off that handicap, especially if the game is rusty like mine is right now. I think if youre around the mid 70s region 7 rounds out of 10, thats good play.

I do like the matchplay format too because I think it frees people up. Its not so much about playing the percentages all the time. I think its why people dont really like the medal format as much, because its the hardest. its why pro tournaments are medals. 72 holes of medal play is gruelling.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 13:48, The Year Of The Fox said:

My comment about playing the hardest courses wasn’t aimed at you- I’m sorry if it sounded that way

It was aimed at the couple who complained about us. 

My point was, that my home course has improved my round absolutely no end. So in theory I’m a better golf than someone who plays with the same handicap index but at an easier course

Golf ball wise- my missus goes to charity shops and gets them for me. She picked up about 500 for £10. I ended up going back and giving them another £10 😅😅

I’ve stopped using them now quite so much and stick with Callaway Triple Track which I use in comps anyway. 

Like I say, sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you- it most definitely wasn’t. I’m hardly Tiger Woods myself 😅

Spot on about how challenging courses are.

If you've got a home course with wide fairways, shallow bunkers and not many water hazards, you'll obviously find the game easier.

Go to a course that has small greens, pot bunkers and streams, you'll struggle.

Easy to get stuck in a rut, know a course that isn't a challenge and think you're the shit.

Always been best to mix it up. Nowt wrong with being a member somewhere and playing the shit out of the course, but challenge yourself with something new once a month, go out of your comfort zone, it'll make you a much better player, even if you don't shoot the score you're after.

Its all about you versus the course. Boring if it's the same track every single time. 

• Like 1

I notice there is a "footballers who dropped off the earth" kind of thread who were brilliant and then seemingly out of nowhere disappeared, but this is SO prevalent in golf with the game being so fickle.

Even in the last 10 years, you could make a list as long as your arm.

Charl Schwartzel.... major winner. Never see him contending....or even know if hes in the field??

Angel Cabrera.....major winner. Had some trouble with the law, but before that, disappeared off the planet.

Anthony Kim..... totally disappeared. Rumour has it he lives off a huge insurance policy that prevents him rejoining the PGA tour?

Boo Weekley.... Tour winner and sweet striker. Totally disappeared.

Graham De Laet..... Chipping yips. Totally gone.

The list goes on and on. One minute youre up there, the next, game over.

On 09/03/2022 at 10:13, Lako42 said:

The Players Championship starts tomorrow

Anyone had a bet

I gave up betting on golf years ago.

Any one of the field is capable of winning the Players this week. It's just too tough to call these days IMO

• Like 3

Went for my second round in ten years today.

Shot 2 less, but felt I played worse. My lovely fade off the tee has turned in to a big slice.

Better around the green though, so chipping close, getting my touch back.

Definitely need to do some core strengthening exercises though. My back had only just recovered from last week and I'm in a bit of pain again now. 

It didn’t hurt like this when i played in my twenties and early thirties lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I gave up betting on golf years ago.

Any one of the field is capable of winning the Players this week. It's just too tough to call these days IMO

I agree

I still reserve a big pot for the masters though as I watch the entire tournament and even if I don't win its top entertainment 

Also get the nice beers and decent single malt in.

It's an event for me 

• Like 3

Turned the Players on for no good reason, and literally the second shot of golf I see this year is the ace on the 17th by Lowry.

Now there's a golfer I could warm up to.  Every time I think the best of these guys are super-robots, they go and get all human, for better or worse, and remind me that this stuff is still fun to watch. 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2022 at 17:11, tom27111 said:

Went for my second round in ten years today.

Shot 2 less, but felt I played worse. My lovely fade off the tee has turned in to a big slice.

Better around the green though, so chipping close, getting my touch back.

Definitely need to do some core strengthening exercises though. My back had only just recovered from last week and I'm in a bit of pain again now. 

It didn’t hurt like this when i played in my twenties and early thirties lol

Ive had a nice couple of rounds this weekend, albeit the weather at times was dodgy.

Played the Brabazon Course at the Belfry friday on a promotion from the fitting centre with my dad and two good friends. Great experience. 2nd time id been there and played a nice matchplay match, won 5&4 which is always sweet and made great birdies on 3, 10 and 11, before the heavens opened and we all got soaked. Was still a great day out. Course looked very good for this time of year, especially the fringes. Got the British Masters there in May.

Went to Birstall today. Course wasnt in very good condition, quite muddy and greens were very bobbly, but still an enjoyable day. Id not been to Birstall before, its quite short and not very memorable, but very friendly. I shot +7 which off my handicap of 1 sounds terrible, but i feel like i played solidly and scored very badly. It was the kind of round where had it been summer and greens better, id have expected to shoot +1 or +2. But I missed 3 birdie putts from inside 10 feet and then had a further 4 three putts with the greens being bumpy and inconsistent, and my putting being rubbish :) But i can get that tidied up in the coming weeks and have a good summer.

If anything, id say if you hit a fade youre probably just struggling with the wind. If you fade the ball, youre creating more backspin and therefore, your ball will climb more into wind. Id not change much though, embrace the fade. It wont land you in as much trouble as a draw on your bad shots.

With all the talk of holes in ones, any foxestalkers had a hole in one? or more?

Ive had three holes in ones.....but have I? only one of them came in competition play, so technically ive only had one?

The "real" hole in one was on the 16th at Lingdale. It was a nice one. I like that hole. Were talking quite a while ago and I always used to visualise playing that hole to the front right corner with a draw. If it draws, youre right in the middle of the green. If it stays straight, youre on the front right of the green, no problem. Push it a fraction, id fancy the up and down off the rough to the right. I hit a 7 iron and just hit it lovely. Had the right shape, pitched on the green, trickled in, lovely.

The other 2 came at Park Hill's old 6th hole. Course isnt there now sadly. Its our training ground. These were in bounce games so dont count officially.

First one pin was front right over a deep bunker. Not too hard of a shot though, was playing about 150, took a 9 iron and just hit a nice one. You cant see the hole off the tee, the green is elevated, but just pitched nicely and trickled in which was great. Not being able to see the hole, you dont get the euphoric moment though.

Second one pin was more back right. It was a very long green and think i went with a 6 iron, possibly a 5. It wasnt a great shot, i caught it slightly thin but it  still had a decent flight, sometimes when you get one a groove thin it can spin a bit more and it kind of balooned a little. Couldnt see it go in on the slightly elevated green but pitched close to the hole and went in.

Funniest one though was a NEAR hole in one by my dad in Mallorca. Playing a course called Andratx, a real hidden gem that id recommend to anyone, he hits one on the 8th or 9th i think, close to the halfway hut. Well, he absolutely spannered this ball thin and right, it was a terrible shot. Ball hits a huge ridge as the green is in a bowl, and it scooted at right angles towards the pin, banged into the pin and stopped dead for a tap in 2. Was literally one of the worst shots ive ever seen!

• Like 1