Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

On 19/12/2021 at 20:28, The Year Of The Fox said:

Is anyone a member of a course in Leicestershire

I’m a member of one in Loughborough 

I've been a member on and off at Hinckley since the late 90's. Done a few casual years at Ullesthorpe too but find that course very boring with ridiculous greens.

I'm prohibited in going back to Hinckley anytime soon though as they claim I owe them £900 in past fees. So I'll be a nomadic golfer for a good while, which suits me to be honest with young children.

On 19/12/2021 at 20:28, The Year Of The Fox said:

Is anyone a member of a course in Leicestershire

I’m a member of one in Loughborough 

After spending far too long at Whetstone (18yrs),  I moved to Cosby 6 years ago.  Got a little too comfortable at WGC which was showing whenever I went away. Struggled when I first moved  to what is a significantly trickier track,  but handicap is starting to go the right way and I am far more comfortable when playing elsewhere.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've been a member on and off at Hinckley since the late 90's. Done a few casual years at Ullesthorpe too but find that course very boring with ridiculous greens.

I'm prohibited in going back to Hinckley anytime soon though as they claim I owe them £900 in past fees. So I'll be a nomadic golfer for a good while, which suits me to be honest with young children.

Balfour Beatty Homes bought a part of the golf clubs land, so they had to remodel a couple of the holes. 

I worked on that site for 18 months or so. I spent much 2018 looking over at the course wishing I was the other side of hedge, but never got round to playing it. Why are the greens ridiculous? Fast?

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Balfour Beatty Homes bought a part of the golf clubs land, so they had to remodel a couple of the holes. 

I worked on that site for 18 months or so. I spent much 2018 looking over at the course wishing I was the other side of hedge, but never got round to playing it. Why are the greens ridiculous? Fast?

The original greens of which there are still 15 I think,  were simply just closely mown areas of the farmland the course was built on meaning that most have big slopes in one single direction.  Get on the wrong side and there is no way of getting it close. The newer greens were built properly and also have big slopes,  but are out of keeping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

The original greens of which there are still 15 I think,  were simply just closely mown areas of the farmland the course was built on meaning that most have big slopes in one single direction.  Get on the wrong side and there is no way of getting it close. The newer greens were built properly and also have big slopes,  but are out of keeping.

Hmm

Sounds like one to avoid then, despite how nice it looked from a building site 😂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yes as Robo says, even before the building works the greens at Ullesthorpe were insane. Its as if when they built the golf course they just got the bit of land and worked out where the holes would go but didn't make any adjustments to the landscape to put and create acceptable greens. They're on hills, in craters and all sorts.

The course itself is OK, some nice holes but the greens do my head in.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Over here those fans would be derided, in the states it's celebrated.  Love it!!!!

A few years ago I had a row on Twitter with ESPN's golf writer Jason Sobel about this tournament. I was saying the Phoenix Waste Management crowd were just a pissed up load of hooligans who knew nothing about golf, and it was against the tradition of the game. His response was that the tournament is a 'one off' and all just a bit of fun. I suppose I've mellowed to it a bit over the years but chucking beer cans everywhere isn't really golf IMHO.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

A few years ago I had a row on Twitter with ESPN's golf writer Jason Sobel about this tournament. I was saying the Phoenix Waste Management crowd were just a pissed up load of hooligans who knew nothing about golf, and it was against the tradition of the game. His response was that the tournament is a 'one off' and all just a bit of fun. I suppose I've mellowed to it a bit over the years but chucking beer cans everywhere isn't really golf IMHO.

I agree if it happened at every course in the states.  But Sobel was right this tournament is treated differently to every other one, that's why i love the states and their approach to sport and fans in general, its just so much more fun and open.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker. Massive golf fan and golfer.

Just wondered if anyone wanted to do a foxestalk "Whats in the bag"

In my bag:

DRIVER - Titleist TSi3 Driver, 8 Degree, VA Nemesys X-Flex 65g

3 WOOD - PXG 0341x Gen 3, 15  Degree, Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70g

HYBRIDS - PXG 0711x Gen 3 Prototypes, 19 & 22 Degree, Project X Riptide 6.5 70g

IRONS - Taylormade P790 Irons 5-PW, Dynamic Gold X100, 130g

WEDGES - PXG 0311 Wedges, 48, 54, 58 Degree, Dynamic Gold S400, 132g

PUTTER - PXG One & Done

BALL - Titleist Pro v1x

In the bag itself..... hats....mittens.....water....food....pain relief spray.....paracetemol....sunscreen....a portable radar for measuring swing speed and ballspeeds, bushnell rangefinder

Whats everyone else playing with?

Any handicap goals this year?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Hi everyone. Long time lurker. Massive golf fan and golfer.

Just wondered if anyone wanted to do a foxestalk "Whats in the bag"

In my bag:

DRIVER - Titleist TSi3 Driver, 8 Degree, VA Nemesys X-Flex 65g

3 WOOD - PXG 0341x Gen 3, 15  Degree, Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70g

HYBRIDS - PXG 0711x Gen 3 Prototypes, 19 & 22 Degree, Project X Riptide 6.5 70g

IRONS - Taylormade P790 Irons 5-PW, Dynamic Gold X100, 130g

WEDGES - PXG 0311 Wedges, 48, 54, 58 Degree, Dynamic Gold S400, 132g

PUTTER - PXG One & Done

BALL - Titleist Pro v1x

In the bag itself..... hats....mittens.....water....food....pain relief spray.....paracetemol....sunscreen....a portable radar for measuring swing speed and ballspeeds, bushnell rangefinder

Whats everyone else playing with?

Any handicap goals this year?

I’m basically a TaylorMade SIM full kit wan*er

Everything below is TaylorMade 

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood 

Irons 5-SW

Then I shelled out on a personalised MG3 58 degree wedge

Even the putter is TaylorMade 😅

I tend to use Callaway Tripletrack balls.

My handicap target is just to get as low as possible- my course is still on winter tee and we’re playing off fairway mats around the whole course too so I can’t put a card in yet. The 8th and 9th are temporarily closed too

Last Saturday in preparation for our Mizuno thing the next day, I was level par thru 6- absolutely unheard of for me. With those two holes closed, I went out in 30. 

My back 9 I completely collapsed though- came in in 48 🙄

So I’m definitely improving which is obviously encouraging, it’s just keeping it going throughout the whole 18- not switching off will help that. 

• Like 1

I'm a mid-high handicapper but just bought an entire new bag last year in anticipation of playing more this year, and got rid of my 20 year old clubs. 

Driver - Mizuno ST-X (Mfusion shaft) 

3W - Mizuno ST200X (MFusion shaft) 

5i-GW - Cobra Radspeed One Length (fitted - Modus Tour 105 shafts) 

58° Wedge - Cobra Snakebite

Putter - Cobra King Vintage Nova (34 inch) 

Balls - Any of Callaway Supersoft, Srixon AD333 or Bridgestone e12 Contact. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'm a mid-high handicapper but just bought an entire new bag last year in anticipation of playing more this year, and got rid of my 20 year old clubs. 

Driver - Mizuno ST-X (Mfusion shaft) 

3W - Mizuno ST200X (MFusion shaft) 

5i-GW - Cobra Radspeed One Length (fitted - Modus Tour 105 shafts) 

58° Wedge - Cobra Snakebite

Putter - Cobra King Vintage Nova (34 inch) 

Balls - Any of Callaway Supersoft, Srixon AD333 or Bridgestone e12 Contact. 

Hi mate, interesting you use the one length irons, De Chambeau style :)

Ive never tried the one length irons but im curious to at least try them. It messes with my head a little to be honest, the idea id be standing with a pitching wedge with what is effectively a very long shaft, yet then standing over a short 5 or 4 iron. Interesting.

I think its a perfectly logical way to learn the game and learn a consistent posture without length and lie angle changes through the bag. I think its something that definitely has its merits and id be curious to try them out

• Like 1

It's something that I really clicked with in my iron fitting as I already really liked the idea of simplifying the game. The 6 and 5 irons are just as easy to hit as the 7, and the shorter irons you very quickly get used to.

The wedges are more interesting and take a little more getting used to using them around the greens but if you use a Bryson style straight arms technique with as little wrist action as possible then you minimize any strike issues. I find I use my GW/SW more than the 58° (which is also One Length). Can't seem to get on with the Snakebite wedge as of yet. 

8 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m basically a TaylorMade SIM full kit wan*er

Everything below is TaylorMade 

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood 

Irons 5-SW

Then I shelled out on a personalised MG3 58 degree wedge

Even the putter is TaylorMade 😅

I tend to use Callaway Tripletrack balls.

My handicap target is just to get as low as possible- my course is still on winter tee and we’re playing off fairway mats around the whole course too so I can’t put a card in yet. The 8th and 9th are temporarily closed too

Last Saturday in preparation for our Mizuno thing the next day, I was level par thru 6- absolutely unheard of for me. With those two holes closed, I went out in 30. 

My back 9 I completely collapsed though- came in in 48 🙄

So I’m definitely improving which is obviously encouraging, it’s just keeping it going throughout the whole 18- not switching off will help that. 

Hi mate great post

My dads 72 now but I got him a set of Sim 2 irons last year with lightweight graphite shafts, and it gave him a new lease of life and an extra clubs worth of distance.

I think the good thing about the handicapping system now too, is that it only includes your best golf, best 8 out of 20 rounds. I actually like this a lot more than the old system of every round counting, because back in the day to make handicap advances, youd have to be playing considerably better than your current handicap for an extended period to actually lower your handicap.

To be scratch (to use an extreme example) youd have to be capable of playing under par rounds over 50% of the time, because every round over +1 on that old system would see you go up 0.1 again.

So effectively, as a scratch handicap, youd have to shoot numerous rounds of 3, 4 under par (or under the old SSS if it was a particularly hard course) to BE a scratch.

Under this system now, I think it reflects the ability you have within you a little more. It shows you what youre capable of on top form, and i like that it frees you up to play aggressively. If you have a really bad round, you can just forget about it, it wont count. But in your 8 counting rounds youll probably have 2 great ones, 3 good ones, 3 decent ones.....less pressure i think.

Slightly off topic. 

Wondering if anyone here pays for a fitness programme or any kind of gym programming specifically to improve their golfing performance?

I'm looking to set up an evening with my local club in Barnsley with a free talk on strength and conditioning in golf but not sure what levels of interest there would be in this area.  Obviously players like Bryson are paving the way for the big hitter route but there's a lot more to being strong and robust and how that can improve performance. 

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of undertaking that kind of work, or if those who did have interest in it and it was available to you what would you be looking for.