Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What’s the record defeat ?

Since Europe joined in '79 the record is 18.5 - 9.5 which we've had twice (and they also won 18.5 - 9.5 in '83).

Reckon it'll be at least 20 - 8 this time though

Edited by Izzy

As embarrassing as this is, this is just going by the form book, that’s not an excuse, that’s a fact.

This US team is the strongest ever assembled, rankings and form prove that, none of that US team have come into this in poor form.

This European team just have too many out of form players, unsurprisingly that’s shown this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Hugely embarrassing…… the yanks have an incredibly strong team but our captain hasn’t covered himself in glory starting with his picks 

I was critical of Harrington's appointment but I think we'd have been battered whoever was our captain tbh.

This US team is something else.

14 minutes ago, kingfox said:

As embarrassing as this is, this is just going by the form book, that’s not an excuse, that’s a fact.

This US team is the strongest ever assembled, rankings and form prove that, none of that US team have come into this in poor form.

This European team just have too many out of form players, unsurprisingly that’s shown this week.

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I was critical of Harrington's appointment but I think we'd have been battered whoever was our captain tbh.

This US team is something else.

We’d certainly have lost but we’ve been totally blown away this weekend - there’s a difference 

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We’d certainly have lost but we’ve been totally blown away this weekend - there’s a difference 

I agree with @Izzy I wouldn’t necessarily blame Harrington for this, if someone else was captain, US would probably still have a comfortable win.

This has well and truly gone with form, none of that US side have played crap over the past PGA season.

Too many of the European team have struggled for form recently.

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

The Postman looks like maintaining his unbeaten singles record at least.

But obviously you only had to look at the rankings to see there was a gulf in class and this time America were a team rather than bunch of individuals. 

Credit to Stricker and the US set up for this.

For years they've tried to copy the European blueprint and although the team thing is still a bit 'forced' for the US, they're getting better at it.

Considering they've all got ego's as big as a house (and all the Bryson/Brooks bollux), Stricker has gelled them well.

Edited by Izzy

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

I'm just glad @Izzyis all right ...  there was radio silence for a day or so  :sweating:

If any of you ever want to play one of America’s greatest courses, it'll be there …

https://www.destinationkohler.com/golf/whistling-straits/the-straits/the-straits-hole-by-hole

Oh, bring $500, plus caddy tip.

Congratulations old chap :appl:

Would love to play Whistling Straights one day. Thought the set up was fantastic and the greens superb. A cracking venue for the RC

Nice to see the sportsmanship between both teams at the end. Overall (apart from BDC's gimme twatery) it's been played in the right spirit.

It's cliché but golf's been the winner this week.

Shame Fitzy fvcked up the last and we end up with the record defeat.

Don’t know why they are saying “Are we witnessing a new era in American Golf”, this new era have already proven themselves over the past few years, Morikawa for example already has two majors for christ sake.

The European’s need to find their new era, Rahm & Hovland are the only two atm who have cemented themselves in that bracket.

15 hours ago, kingfox said:

Don’t know why they are saying “Are we witnessing a new era in American Golf”, this new era have already proven themselves over the past few years, Morikawa for example already has two majors for christ sake.

The European’s need to find their new era, Rahm & Hovland are the only two atm who have cemented themselves in that bracket.

Maybe someone that’s more clued in can correct me, but I feel like I remember pundits saying Morikawa had a high ceiling, but I don’t think many of them predicted he would hit it as soon as 2020.

Also, it takes more imagination to envision Europe coming back to win in 2023 than seeing the stacked US team form a dynasty, but nobody should bury Europe just yet.

Rahm can be the anchor for Europe for years. I think Hovland is fantastic and has everything needed to take his game to an even higher level. I thought he played well this weekend, and perhaps deserved more than what he scored. If the contest were closer, than his match vs Morikawa yesterday would have gone down as one of the all-time classics.

It’s not out of the question to see a resurgent Rory in two years, and Fleetwood return to form. Maybe one of both of the Hojgaard twins  turn out to have a Morikawa-like career trajectory. Europe also has a lot of great candidates that can come in to replace Harrington as captain. 

It feels like 2021 was too soon to hit the refresh button but the run up to 2023 will be a perfect time to start rebuilding the European team for a run out on a potentially Euro-friendly course before trying to get ready for 2025 at Bethpage, which is going to be a tough one.

15 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I wonder if the home crowd in Rome will make a difference or it’s simply down to the quality of the teams in which case if motivated USA could dominate for a while .

Wouldn't make any difference really, the USA team is just too strong.

They've made too much of the 'European team spirit' really, it was a bit of a factor when the sides were much more evenly matched.

Europe's best chance, would be to adjust the way qualification works and allow for more Captain picks.

Rahm + Garcia and Fleetwood + Molinari have to be together in 2023.

Simply picking your 'best' 12 players isn't going to work for Europe, they're so far behind that it's clear they're going to get dominated in the singles, so they've got to build a 12 based purely on partnerships for me.

Try and get a lead in Foursomes/Fourballs and try to use that momentum.

3 hours ago, Jordan said:

Maybe someone that’s more clued in can correct me, but I feel like I remember pundits saying Morikawa had a high ceiling, but I don’t think many of them predicted he would hit it as soon as 2020.

Also, it takes more imagination to envision Europe coming back to win in 2023 than seeing the stacked US team form a dynasty, but nobody should bury Europe just yet.

Rahm can be the anchor for Europe for years. I think Hovland is fantastic and has everything needed to take his game to an even higher level. I thought he played well this weekend, and perhaps deserved more than what he scored. If the contest were closer, than his match vs Morikawa yesterday would have gone down as one of the all-time classics.

It’s not out of the question to see a resurgent Rory in two years, and Fleetwood return to form. Maybe one of both of the Hojgaard twins  turn out to have a Morikawa-like career trajectory. Europe also has a lot of great candidates that can come in to replace Harrington as captain. 

It feels like 2021 was too soon to hit the refresh button but the run up to 2023 will be a perfect time to start rebuilding the European team for a run out on a potentially Euro-friendly course before trying to get ready for 2025 at Bethpage, which is going to be a tough one.

2019 was when the pundits on Sky were talking up the trio of Morikawa, Hovland & Wolff, it was impossible back then to predict how far they’d kick on in a short space of time, all three have had their moments but of course Morikawa has been the main man.

The scary thing about the US team is the players that missed out, the likes of Burns & Zalatoris could possibly make a claim for 2023 amongst others.

Rahm & Hovland will be the main two for years to come imo, McIlroy, Lowry, Fitzpatrick, Hatton & Fleetwood will probably continue to make up the rest, a few of them need to get back into form though.

But like the US, we now need to find our next crop also, the Hojgaard twins, MacIntyre, Migliozzi spring to mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if they come into the fold, if they continue in the right manner.

The emergence of this US contingent has been in full swing for the past few years, this just so happened to be the first Ryder Cup for many of them, they showed their quality and made a statement. Hopefully the next two years can be about some European stars emerging, because we bloody need it.

• 2 months later...

Tiger Woods isn't human I don't think. Less than a year after smashing his leg to pieces and nearly losing it, he's playing in the PNC father/son tournament.

Obviously he's not back to anywhere near his previous levels, but watching him just stiff a 4 iron from 230 yds to 8 feet is incredible really.

Edited by Izzy

On 18/12/2021 at 18:09, Izzy said:

Tiger Woods isn't human I don't think. Less than a year after smashing his leg to pieces and nearly losing it, he's playing in the PNC father/son tournament.

Obviously he's not back to anywhere near his previous levels, but watching him just stiff a 4 iron from 230 yds to 8 feet is incredible really.

His son is incredible isn’t he

Think he plays off scratch already 

8 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Any good?

How have you got your hands on that already?

I went all in on SIM stuff last year. Brilliant kit when my old driver was a 15 year old lump of metal 

Nah I meant Tiger is playing that at the minute. 

I won't be buying it, it looks hideous IMO >_<

9 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

His son is incredible isn’t he

Think he plays off scratch already 

Yeah, he's outrageously good for a 12 year old. Apparently he's 1500/1 to win a major before he's 22 and I reckon that's decent value. 

I know this PNC tourney is just an exhibition really, but there's a good chance Tiger and Charlie will win it as it stands.