Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

7 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Ive had a nice couple of rounds this weekend, albeit the weather at times was dodgy.

Played the Brabazon Course at the Belfry friday on a promotion from the fitting centre with my dad and two good friends. Great experience. 2nd time id been there and played a nice matchplay match, won 5&4 which is always sweet and made great birdies on 3, 10 and 11, before the heavens opened and we all got soaked. Was still a great day out. Course looked very good for this time of year, especially the fringes. Got the British Masters there in May.

Went to Birstall today. Course wasnt in very good condition, quite muddy and greens were very bobbly, but still an enjoyable day. Id not been to Birstall before, its quite short and not very memorable, but very friendly. I shot +7 which off my handicap of 1 sounds terrible, but i feel like i played solidly and scored very badly. It was the kind of round where had it been summer and greens better, id have expected to shoot +1 or +2. But I missed 3 birdie putts from inside 10 feet and then had a further 4 three putts with the greens being bumpy and inconsistent, and my putting being rubbish :) But i can get that tidied up in the coming weeks and have a good summer.

If anything, id say if you hit a fade youre probably just struggling with the wind. If you fade the ball, youre creating more backspin and therefore, your ball will climb more into wind. Id not change much though, embrace the fade. It wont land you in as much trouble as a draw on your bad shots.

We played the Brabazon two NYE ago. 
A few of the greens never thawed out all day!

I was about 10 yards off driving the 10th- It went short and slightly right into those trees. Would’ve possibly rolled on in the summer on a downward slope

Our Mizuno Pairs ‘Regional’ Final is to be played against a pairing from either Ruddington Grange or Birstall. 

I’ve played Birstall quite a few times but never Ruddington. Birstall and Forest Hill near Markfield both operate that Play More Golf scheme. We’ve found Birstall is by far the better of the two courses condition wise. If Birstall is bad now, I dread to think what FH is like! 

As you say, it’s quite a bog standard course but it’s nice and forgiving with the open fairways.

Havent played at all this weekend as I’m finishing my bathroom and my niece was up from Oxford. 

I’ve got Friday booked off work though to recover from Rennes so will be having a knock Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday 😅

10 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

With all the talk of holes in ones, any foxestalkers had a hole in one? or more?

Ive had three holes in ones.....but have I? only one of them came in competition play, so technically ive only had one?

The "real" hole in one was on the 16th at Lingdale. It was a nice one. I like that hole. Were talking quite a while ago and I always used to visualise playing that hole to the front right corner with a draw. If it draws, youre right in the middle of the green. If it stays straight, youre on the front right of the green, no problem. Push it a fraction, id fancy the up and down off the rough to the right. I hit a 7 iron and just hit it lovely. Had the right shape, pitched on the green, trickled in, lovely.

The other 2 came at Park Hill's old 6th hole. Course isnt there now sadly. Its our training ground. These were in bounce games so dont count officially.

First one pin was front right over a deep bunker. Not too hard of a shot though, was playing about 150, took a 9 iron and just hit a nice one. You cant see the hole off the tee, the green is elevated, but just pitched nicely and trickled in which was great. Not being able to see the hole, you dont get the euphoric moment though.

Second one pin was more back right. It was a very long green and think i went with a 6 iron, possibly a 5. It wasnt a great shot, i caught it slightly thin but it  still had a decent flight, sometimes when you get one a groove thin it can spin a bit more and it kind of balooned a little. Couldnt see it go in on the slightly elevated green but pitched close to the hole and went in.

Funniest one though was a NEAR hole in one by my dad in Mallorca. Playing a course called Andratx, a real hidden gem that id recommend to anyone, he hits one on the 8th or 9th i think, close to the halfway hut. Well, he absolutely spannered this ball thin and right, it was a terrible shot. Ball hits a huge ridge as the green is in a bowl, and it scooted at right angles towards the pin, banged into the pin and stopped dead for a tap in 2. Was literally one of the worst shots ive ever seen!

I've also had three holes in one,  but only one in competetion,  though they all count in my head.  The first a slightly thinned 6 iron into a head wind on the 17th at Whetstone.  The second,  best and in the monthly medal,  same club (different set) but struck as perfectly as I can to the 14th at Whetstone.  Pin was tucked back right almost behind the bunker,  so very proud of that one.  Last and probably least was at Handsworth (a hidden gem) again into a head wind took out what I thought was my nine iron,  again a little thin one bounce and in.  After celebrating went to put the club back into the bag,  it was an 8 Iron:o.

8 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

We played the Brabazon two NYE ago. 
A few of the greens never thawed out all day!

I was about 10 yards off driving the 10th- It went short and slightly right into those trees. Would’ve possibly rolled on in the summer on a downward slope

Our Mizuno Pairs ‘Regional’ Final is to be played against a pairing from either Ruddington Grange or Birstall. 

I’ve played Birstall quite a few times but never Ruddington. Birstall and Forest Hill near Markfield both operate that Play More Golf scheme. We’ve found Birstall is by far the better of the two courses condition wise. If Birstall is bad now, I dread to think what FH is like! 

As you say, it’s quite a bog standard course but it’s nice and forgiving with the open fairways.

Havent played at all this weekend as I’m finishing my bathroom and my niece was up from Oxford. 

I’ve got Friday booked off work though to recover from Rennes so will be having a knock Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday 😅

We did have witnesses for the hole in one.

Whats always tended to happen with my previous holes in one is the club gives everyone a free drink from the whisky bottle, and you then replace the bottle(s) as a gesture towards everyone. It keeps the cost low to you so you dont run up a huge bill whilst adhering to traditions.

I guess i just get a little spoilt playing certain courses. This time of year if its wet, I like playing Sherwood, or a good day out at Beau Desert for example (Closed for visitors at the moment though there).

Absolutely nothing wrong with Birstall at all its a nice club and very friendly, I do feel as if perhaps they needed to tell people to carry their bags as its a bit muddy in places but its good value. Not dissimilar to Forest Hill in some ways, although Forest Hill has a more enclosed feel.

I think they ruined Forest Hill a little, not just with the pricing but when they redesigned some of the holes, the 11th hole is just diabolical. Green is way too severe to be taken seriously there. Some nice holes on Forest Hill, always thought the 3rd was a very nice hole there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

We did have witnesses for the hole in one.

Whats always tended to happen with my previous holes in one is the club gives everyone a free drink from the whisky bottle, and you then replace the bottle(s) as a gesture towards everyone. It keeps the cost low to you so you dont run up a huge bill whilst adhering to traditions.

I guess i just get a little spoilt playing certain courses. This time of year if its wet, I like playing Sherwood, or a good day out at Beau Desert for example (Closed for visitors at the moment though there).

Absolutely nothing wrong with Birstall at all its a nice club and very friendly, I do feel as if perhaps they needed to tell people to carry their bags as its a bit muddy in places but its good value. Not dissimilar to Forest Hill in some ways, although Forest Hill has a more enclosed feel.

I think they ruined Forest Hill a little, not just with the pricing but when they redesigned some of the holes, the 11th hole is just diabolical. Green is way too severe to be taken seriously there. Some nice holes on Forest Hill, always thought the 3rd was a very nice hole there.

Yeah, I take it you’ve seen the new membership fees at FH then! Members are leaving like rats from a sinking ship. It costs more to be a member there than at Longcliffe. 

They’ve also upped the range prices now- I think it works out at £12 an hour for unlimited balls. But you can only hit a 100 in that hour really. At the range in Coalville its 100 balls for £9.50 and you can take as long as you need.

I think last week they were doing some repairs to do with the driving range. Rather than close the range they closed the 10th hole- a good indicator on the priorities the management have. The 11th is vile isn’t it. I don’t think I’ve ever got better than a bogey there. And that’s when I’m absolutely flying 

2 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeah, I take it you’ve seen the new membership fees at FH then! Members are leaving like rats from a sinking ship. It costs more to be a member there than at Longcliffe. 

They’ve also upped the range prices now- I think it works out at £12 an hour for unlimited balls. But you can only hit a 100 in that hour really. At the range in Coalville its 100 balls for £9.50 and you can take as long as you need.

I think last week they were doing some repairs to do with the driving range. Rather than close the range they closed the 10th hole- a good indicator on the priorities the management have. The 11th is vile isn’t it. I don’t think I’ve ever got better than a bogey there. And that’s when I’m absolutely flying 

Ive been up to Forest Hill in what id call "the good old days" and now.

It always used to be a pretty average but friendly course, not overly expensive. It was busy and vibrant.

I think I heard theyre charging £1500 per year now? If thats true, that is beyond outrageous for the course forest hill is, and nowadays it seems to have a more corporate golf feel to it, which I dont like at all. Longcliffe is a significantly better course and I dont think anywhere has the audacity to charge £1500.

And then £12 for a bucket of balls on the range? outrageous to be honest.

I kind of get that theyre going for the "lets have a night out on top tracer and a few beers and a laugh" kind of experience rather than the experience of wanting to come and practice golf, and i dont begrudge that approach its fine, but realistically in an hour youre not hitting "unlimited" balls, youre hitting maybe 60-75 unless youre ploughing on like a machine gun and never switching club, taking a drink, cleaning a club etc.

It really doesnt surprise me people are leaving. Its a shame there arent too many places for people to go though....I suppose the most local course to Forest Hill is Kirby Muxloe maybe? dont know if theyd take new members but i know it wouldnt be £1500.

What they have got at Forest Hill is simulators. These are quite useful in winter as a practice aid, but these are also very expensive to hire.

Beyond the visual experience they provide, the Forest Hill ones are "Golfzon".... be careful with this. Its not as accurate as something like GC Quad or Trackman. itll "guesstimate" numbers at times, and most certainly OVER read spin on a driver (so your carry numbers will go down).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Ive been up to Forest Hill in what id call "the good old days" and now.

It always used to be a pretty average but friendly course, not overly expensive. It was busy and vibrant.

I think I heard theyre charging £1500 per year now? If thats true, that is beyond outrageous for the course forest hill is, and nowadays it seems to have a more corporate golf feel to it, which I dont like at all. Longcliffe is a significantly better course and I dont think anywhere has the audacity to charge £1500.

And then £12 for a bucket of balls on the range? outrageous to be honest.

I kind of get that theyre going for the "lets have a night out on top tracer and a few beers and a laugh" kind of experience rather than the experience of wanting to come and practice golf, and i dont begrudge that approach its fine, but realistically in an hour youre not hitting "unlimited" balls, youre hitting maybe 60-75 unless youre ploughing on like a machine gun and never switching club, taking a drink, cleaning a club etc.

It really doesnt surprise me people are leaving. Its a shame there arent too many places for people to go though....I suppose the most local course to Forest Hill is Kirby Muxloe maybe? dont know if theyd take new members but i know it wouldnt be £1500.

What they have got at Forest Hill is simulators. These are quite useful in winter as a practice aid, but these are also very expensive to hire.

Beyond the visual experience they provide, the Forest Hill ones are "Golfzon".... be careful with this. Its not as accurate as something like GC Quad or Trackman. itll "guesstimate" numbers at times, and most certainly OVER read spin on a driver (so your carry numbers will go down).

Yeh £1500 or thereabouts 

I forgot to say that the Coalville range has Tracman! £9.50 for 100 balls. You don’t pay anything in terms of hiring the bay 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeh £1500 or thereabouts 

I forgot to say that the Coalville range has Tracman! £9.50 for 100 balls. You don’t pay anything in terms of hiring the bay 

Trackman range is great, Trackman simulators are the best of the best.

Trackman range is brilliant because it gives you some instant feedback. Obviously youre at the mercy of the range ball, that doesnt always help. Some range balls fall out of the sky because the dimples are worn out, or they all feel different etc.

But trackman has a system built into it which kind of counteracts that, so it actually captures the ball coming off the face and reads the spin, the speed, the launch angle. Its brilliant.

And trackman is a definitely better system than top tracer, 100%

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I want Casey to win but I quite like this Bradley. His swings really weird though. Crouching down like he’s always in a green side bunker 

Never really liked him since he dared to argue with the legend Miguel Angel Jimenez

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

If Cameron Smith turned out to be a sort of Columbine massacre type, you’d not bat an eyelid would you 

I lived in brisbane for a year and can tell you now he's about par for the course. 

Not even a bogan. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Tough on Casey that lie.

Gutted for him really. Definitely got in his head and his next shot was crap. He really needed to eagle/birdie 16 

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

For me it's a pleasure to see a worthy champion.

The "Aussie rat" has cojones made out of solid brass.  Seems totally immune to pressure with the putter in his hands.  And how can you not salute that tee shot on 17 when he already had a two shot lead.

• Like 1

The prize money this year is outrageous. No wonder Knox looked like he was about to come when he holed that putt on the last (to finish T6th instead of T9th)

Win: $3,600,000

2: $2,180,000

3: $1,380,000

4: $980,000

5: $820,000

6: $725,000

7: $675,000

8: $625,000

9: $585,000

10: $545,000