Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

What Can Be Achieved with this board?

I'm curious. Are there any previous instances of clubs in the Championship having owners come in that have invested significantly, got promoted eventually, and what has then happened to the club in the Premiership? I.e. has the club been sold on, what kind of investment has there been, etc etc

I can only think of QPR off the top of my head, but I'd rather not, for obvious reasons. I'd like to think that our owners are much more sensible than that shambles.

EDIT: I guess West Brom would be the best example. I have a lot of respect for the way they run their club.

What do you suggest, a coup?

And yes, thanks to the owners for bringing in Mr Pearson, their first managerial appointment that wasn't advised by Milan Mandaric and it looks to have been a superb one.

No, I'm actually very happy with the situation now, I was very vocal against the reckless spending under Sven and glad we have moved away from it. Mistakes appear to be being learnt from and we seem to be on the right track building a young hungry side who have something to prove.

The debt level isn't great and the interest payments are uncomfortable to say the least but it's managable now we appear to be on the way to the Premiership.

I fail to see how the king power brand really benefits from us being a premier league side unless they think they can expand the group worldwide.

Afterall it's not like all of a sudden the whole world is going to go oh i'd never heard of thailand lets rush there and spend loads of cash in duty free. If you want to go thailand you are going anyway.

I think that they may look to sell after a season in the top flight.

We need to get promoted first, but if we do I hope we go about our business like West Brom and Swansea have done over the past couple of seasons. They have adapted well, and both are very good sides, as long as we can stay in the division, then build like Swansea and West Brom have done, then I will be happy, I just don't want us to struggle and end up getting relegated at the first attempt.

Guest BlueBrett
Not sure I agree with that, actually.

I don't think they seem like buy-and-sell owners. They've invested too much money and effort in to making us a front for their brand, which I'm sure is where they think the real profit is.

Agreed. In the long run we are much more valuable to them as a marketing tool and if they were simply looking for a buy and sell investment they may as well have just invested in property or some other more conventional commodity.

I think that once we get to the Prem we can realistically hope to enjoy a decade or more of mid table finishes and if the often talked about investment in infrastructure and stadium expansion materialises then who knows what else? The first season after promotion will obviously be the most difficult and could potentially set the tone for the next 5-10 years.

Well, that suggests that your're not educated in business. What if said business has a profit of £10 million a year? Even if it was a profit of £2 million a year you'd be an idiot to sell it for £10 million unless it was on the decline. If it had saturated then it still wouldn't be a great business deal as you'd be earning that money back in a few years time.

What if that business was an arm of your corporation that enables further profits for the other businesses in the portfolio? That's essentially how the owners are planning to (and have) make their money. As Finnegan said, we are essentially a huge marketing tool for the owners. For them its like having the greatest sponsorship mechanism imaginable, readily available. You're able to position your product in a way that doesn't directly marketing itself so it doesn't play on the consumer conscious. In the premiership, the club wouldn't be losing much money so it would be an unreal marketing strategy that helps KP to become a global brand.

If and when that is done, then we MIGHT see the owners move on.

I was using the example of going from nothing to selling it for £10m, I didn't even suggest where abouts it was on the business life cycle, just a pure (simple) example how you could add value and sell at a greater value to make profit! I thought it was easier for some of the knuckle draggers on here to understand but you too it literally and did the whole 2+2=5 scenario. I will make sure next time I list all the neccessary variables and business valuation techniques before I make a flippant comment lol

I think in summer Nigel would need to be given £10million to spend, mainly we would need that little bit of experience and quality, though we wouldn't do a QPR who bought a complete new starting eleven. I would just say a couple of new faces. Also there's quite a few good players without contracts in the summer worth looking at.

As it's been mentioned we need to do what Stoke have done, slowly built a strong squad over the seasons.

Not becoming the next Wigan is a priority

7 years of consecutive premiership football, playing decent football, admittedly not straight away, and supporting their managers and backing them financially, christ that would be terrible...

I think all sorts can be achieved with this current board.

Step-by-step we need to secure promotion, make the correct type of signings in the summer (I trust Nige with this) and, most importantly, continue to keep our ground 'Fortress King Power'.

Coupled with big attendances and backing of the manager I see no reason why Pearson cannot achieve similar things to the great MON all those years ago.

HOWEVER, it's imperative that, if we are successful, we manage to keep hold of Pearson.

One of my fears is that we do well, and develop a really good squad, Nige will then be poached and the merry-go-round starts all over again.

However, I guess that's football.

Finally, and I suggested this in another thread, if we get promoted, Pearson needs to manage those better players who, by the fact that we have gained success, are gonna be asked to sit out games on the bench... And be happy to do so.

THAT might be Pearson's biggest test of all?

Exciting times ahead but we must not now take our foot off the gas.

7 years of consecutive premiership football, playing decent football, admittedly not straight away, and supporting their managers and backing them financially, christ that would be terrible...

Finishing just slightly above the relegation zone every season, getting thrashed 9-0 every season, no cup glory and not having anything to look forward to would literally kill me.

I think we need 5 signings for us to compete at a healthy level! Its encouraging over the time nigels been here its been rumoured to be scouting Ogbonna while at torino But was put off by the £3m transfer fee and now said to be worth £15m, Lewrondowski when he was at Lech for £1m when nigel was here first time round, and he's now worth £20m and seemingly on his was to man utd from dortmund. and Adam Maher at AZ Alkmaar. All players to now be linked with top teams in Europe. This gives me hope of him putting together an exiting team with a healthy budget in the premiership.

Finishing just slightly above the relegation zone every season, getting thrashed 9-0 every season, no cup glory and not having anything to look forward to would literally kill me.

Not having a great season this season but in the last 12 months they have beaten Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, while we have been languishing in the lower reaches of the championship they have finished in the top 10 once and reached 1 League cup final.

I know where you are coming from, but they have been a lot more succesful in the last 10 years than we have, and you managed to survive that.

The fact is we are a bigger club than Wigan and if we can stay in the premier league for 7 years I would hope we could build on it and not be languishing in the bottom 3 again.

I've missed you Zin. Have you been away or have I been looking in the wrong threads?

:D

Yes i've been away cruising the oceans with my lovely but devious missus .

She sprung a surprise trip on me, around the Canaries and Morocco

thanks Trav :thumbup:

Well I'm a CIMA qualified accountant so I consider myself educated on the subject.

It's ludricrous to suggest we would have gone into liquidation without the owners, complete nonsense.

So many clubs owners say this, sad state how everyone buys into any old shite owners come out with.

Ours don't fully convince me. To be fair, they're ambitious, they've shown that with what they've spent but I'm still a little concerned about some things, to hear it was all a loan at 8% interest was quite a big hit really.

The thing that worries me most about them though, is their patience. Sven for me was a disaster, and I agreed with his sacking simply because I feel he was doing more harm at the club than good, but still, you can argue 13 games isn't a great chance, and I've got it on very strong authority that they met Redknapp after a mere 5 games this season, they strike me as the type to panic and do I see Pearson lasting the whole season if we go up? I hate to say it, but I don't, and he really should, he's got his head screwed on and makes progress constantly, yet I fear if we start slowly again or sit in the relegation spots at any point, they'll go all QPR/Southampton and gamble again.

But as I say, they're ambitious, and that's to be respected. I just hope they've got the sense to stick with a manager who clearly knows what he's doing (as he's proved in his years here, in both stints) even through the tough stages.

I was using the example of going from nothing to selling it for £10m, I didn't even suggest where abouts it was on the business life cycle, just a pure (simple) example how you could add value and sell at a greater value to make profit! I thought it was easier for some of the knuckle draggers on here to understand but you too it literally and did the whole 2+2=5 scenario. I will make sure next time I list all the neccessary variables and business valuation techniques before I make a flippant comment lol

lol My bad. I wasn't trying to be a pendant. You need to contextualise these thing for us intellects otherwise we get carried away :ph34r:

Oh, by the way, I did the 2+2=4 scenario actually ;)

So many clubs owners say this, sad state how everyone buys into any old shite owners come out with.

Ours don't fully convince me. To be fair, they're ambitious, they've shown that with what they've spent but I'm still a little concerned about some things, to hear it was all a loan at 8% interest was quite a big hit really.

The thing that worries me most about them though, is their patience. Sven for me was a disaster, and I agreed with his sacking simply because I feel he was doing more harm at the club than good, but still, you can argue 13 games isn't a great chance, and I've got it on very strong authority that they met Redknapp after a mere 5 games this season, they strike me as the type to panic and do I see Pearson lasting the whole season if we go up? I hate to say it, but I don't, and he really should, he's got his head screwed on and makes progress constantly, yet I fear if we start slowly again or sit in the relegation spots at any point, they'll go all QPR/Southampton and gamble again.

But as I say, they're ambitious, and that's to be respected. I just hope they've got the sense to stick with a manager who clearly knows what he's doing (as he's proved in his years here, in both stints) even through the tough stages.

I think that now they have seen what NP can do with a squad of players that he has chosen, they will show a bit more patience and stick by him.

13 games? Sven was here for about a year, had spent a fortune and we were absolutely crap more often than we were decent. With the benefit of hindsight the owners were if anything too patient, gave him too much of a chance.

So how much have we paid back in interest then smart arse?

Dread to think how people will react to this years accounts, some posters on here were on suicide watch last year.

Why shouldn't the owners be entitled to some kind of clawback on lending THEIR HARD EARNT CASH to us to make us successful. With the sums you are talking, they could invest it elsewhere at 8% on the money markets easily. I think people are in cookoo land when they think there are these kind of Sugar Daddy's about who will hand out money with zero expected return.

If they had an business outlook like that initially they wouldn't be rich in the first place!

Where on the money markets would they get 8% easily?!?!

Ok not ''easily'' but they aren't going to stick their investment in a nationwide ISA offering 2.5% interest a year!!

if you walk into an investment bank with c£50m (I think thats what they have invested in city) would you not expect a noteable return rather than a few %?

Archived