Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigHeadLCFC

2002/3 squad vs current squad

Schmeichel > Walker

De Laet > Sinclair

Elliot > Keane

Morgan > Rogers

Taggart > Konchesky

King > Davidson

Izzet > Drinkwater

Stewart > Marshall

Knockaert > Scowcroft

Nugent > Deane

Dickov > Wood

Therefore, the ideal side would be:

Schmeichel (2013)

De Laet (2013)

Elliot (2003)

Morgan (2013)

Taggart (2003)

King (2013)

Izzet (2003)

Stewart (2003)

Knockaert (2013)

Nugent (2013)

Dickov (2003)

Two very different sides, but that looks a heck of a side. Defence especially looks stonewall.

I'd have a pretty similar team although Sinclair over De Laet and quite comfortably. One of the most underrated players of that time. Maybe Walker as well. He was in the England squad at the time and although I rate Kasper very highly, Walker was just that bit more experienced.

The encouraging thing is that most of those players in 02/03 were established prem players (the team was probably weakened the year after) yet many of us would still be inclined to choose lots of the current players over the past team which says a lot about the quality we have now.

Jordan Stewart was decent for us back then

And then some. Remember going to Selhurst Park for the game against Wimbledon and he scored an absolute cracker. Shame how his career went. Could have been a very good premier league player if luck went his way.

I personally think people are underrating the 02-03 team. Elliot and Taggart sh*t all over Morgan and Keane. They WERE on the decline but there presence, reading of the game and overall quality was clearly the best defencive team in the division. Morgan is quality but hes 27 and still in the CCC..thats maybe just what he is, a very good CCC CB as Elliot and Taggart, even on the decline, had alot of experience of better quality players.

Izzet was 10 X the player Drinky is. and that makes a hell of a difference. Scowy popped in with 11 goals and Stewart was young and pacey and IMO was just as good as Marshall. Up top Dickov was pure class and although Nugents finishing is probably better, I feel Nugent has alot of "off" games, as Dickov was a constant pest. Wood is better than Deane but we havnt had Wood all season and Deane was again a player in decline, but has played right at the top level.

The 02/03 team IMO was a better team, this season we are younger and have more flair, but the grit and positioning of that team got us through. We won alot of games 2-1 rather than this season losing them 2-1 because we were good at just winning the game and getting it done. This season we batter more teams when they are down, due to a younger, fitter, faster, skillfull team but struggle in tight games/coming from behind and these are the games we ticked off as a comfertable win back in 02/03.

Charlton last week is the perfect example of a game where the 02/03 team would of won. No stupid mistakes like Drinky's first and no slack defending for the 2nd..Elliot wouldnt of got bullied by Kermagont!

The 2003 team had a fantastic spine to the team which is what made it so effective. Walker was a very strong GK, Elliott and taggart owned most teams forwards, izzet much too good for the league and Deane and dickov prob the best striking pair we've had in the last decade. And a siege mentality chucked in too. A great team.

I'd have a pretty similar team although Sinclair over De Laet and quite comfortably. One of the most underrated players of that time. Maybe Walker as well. He was in the England squad at the time and although I rate Kasper very highly, Walker was just that bit more experienced.

The encouraging thing is that most of those players in 02/03 were established prem players (the team was probably weakened the year after) yet many of us would still be inclined to choose lots of the current players over the past team which says a lot about the quality we have now.

I agree with this, Sinclair was excellent for us. Maybe people just remember the own goals, but he was one of the most important parts of the late 90s early 00s side.

Teams are pretty similar. We had a good goalkeeper in Walker (who I think was/is way better than Kasper), two solid defenders in Elliot/Taggart (Morgan/Keane) and a quality striker in Dickov (Wood). Izzet was good that season as well - the best live goal I've ever seen was away at Grimsby and I was behind the goal. I think Adams said without Izzet we're just an 'average' team.

Don't ever underrate that season, and the job Adams did. Excellent.

Remember the game at Portmand Road as well? We lost 6-1 to Ipswich... How times have changed :D

Teams are pretty similar. We had a good goalkeeper in Walker (who I think was/is way better than Kasper), two solid defenders in Elliot/Taggart (Morgan/Keane) and a quality striker in Dickov (Wood). Izzet was good that season as well - the best live goal I've ever seen was away at Grimsby and I was behind the goal. I think Adams said without Izzet we're just an 'average' team.

Don't ever underrate that season, and the job Adams did. Excellent.

Remember the game at Portmand Road as well? We lost 6-1 to Ipswich... How times have changed :D

We'll see on Saturday ;)

Did some of you watch a different jordan stewart. He may have been quick and pacey. But it helps if you take the ball with you. At times he looked like a cross between dalsim and bambi. He had rubber legs and no control over them.

He did score a few crakers. But not enough to be any better on the left than dyer or knocky.

I think i only missed 2 games all season home and away that season. you went to games away from home expecting something, not just hoping.

Only lost 6 matches all season and bullied most of the other sides out of it. Not the best side to watch but boy, were they efficient. That side was miles better.

Could you add some from Np team the first time around too? We only lost 6 all of that season, admittedly drawing too many leading to play offs rather than autos but I think that team was also very strong.

We lost 12 that season

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/page/browse.php?session=2009

Here's the squad:

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/page/browse.php?session=2009

Oh I do beg your pardon, fair enough. I might consider throwing spearing in the mix over drinky. The rest were actually punching well above their weight, I didn't realise quite how inexperienced hat team was at this level.

One player I think people are underrating is Billy McKinley who was excellent that season and definitely better than any of our current central midfielders. Not only that but he worked so well with Izzet, his defensive side and discipline is what allowed Izzet to have more attacking roam.

Both sides have/had a very good central defensive partnership and a very good strike force and while Knoxkaert is clearly better than any winger we had then, that central midfield partnership we had in 02/03 was just too strong and the reason I feel that side was better.

If I were to make a side out of all those players I'd probably go for

GK Walker

RB Sinclair

CB Taggart

CB Morgan

LB Davidson

RM Knockaert

CM Izzet

CM McKinley

LM Marshall

ST Wood

ST Dickov

The league was so much poorer back then, it really was. Football's evolution in the Championship has been vast & quick - no longer do sides such as Adams' 02/03 long ball team get promoted. Much more football being played with players with higher abilities throughout the league.

It was a great achievement in 02/03, but football has changed & I dare say the side nowadays, if put toe to toe with the side from 10 years ago, would run a few rings round them.

Think people are severely underrating the 03 team.

Walker an England international and established premiership keeper.

Sinclair was a bit fruity in the prem but he held his own, streets ahead of de laet at his current level.

Elliot and Taggart were both beastly defenders in the prem. Morgan has never reached that level. Both may have been getting on but for the championship they were rock solid.

And on and on throughout the team really. We had a team full of players who were comfortable in the bottom half of the prem as well as a couple of players who could have made it at an even higher level.

Contrast that to now where pretty much no-one in our team could be described as a premiership player. The 03 team was considerably better.

Izzet's overhead kick at Grimsby that season.....

Still remains one of my favourite away games I've ever attended, and Izzet did that.

.. And, Billy McKinley's goal at Coventry was excellent, as well. Doesn't seem to be on youtube though.

Archived