Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Sousa & Pearson - Last 9 Games.

A lot of talk comparing Pearson's current run with Sousa's disastrous regime

2em3git.jpg

You can see just how inept we were in 2010 as the bulk of a playoff achieving side were sitting rock bottom of the league after 9 games. Whilst the records are almost identical, they don't tell anywhere near the same story.

Fast forward to the present day, it's the 'goals for' column that sees us bottom of the table over the same time period of 9 games and staring up at ALL other 23 teams, yes even the shit ones - they're all above us.

Is there cause for hope? Is there a reason to not just lump Pearson in with Sousa despite returns over the same period of time being almost the same?

IMO, yes - but with caution after the manner of yesterday's performance.

With the 'goals for' column we see the real problem that leads to a our current plight.

All the attacking flair & some of the best football I've ever seen us play, that saw us rise up the table a long distant memory we saw enough to indicate a base has been built & despite some incredibly weak performances, the latest being the practically complete capitulation Vs the sheep yesterday, the 'goals against' column still doesn't look out of place for a team at the top end of the table.

After the lacklustre defeats against Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday & draw against Leeds, there was a turnaround Vs Cardiff that saw everyone get on with their jobs, yes we didn't have flair, but we had effort, we kept things tight & almost left the league leaders with all 3 pts.... but against Derby all that hard work went out the window - and it's this that makes me think twice & gives me the reason for caution.

Form is obviously temporary, but the lack of effort yesterday makes it look like something is very wrong. We didn't play like a team short on confidence like we did in pretty poor games Vs Leeds, SheffWed & Charlton... We played like a team that knew it was beat and there wasn't any point trying.

Dyer's substitution seemed to highlight that all is not well aside from the poor run. Dyer is many things, yes his crossing (like many pacey wingers) is poor, yes his shooting isn't great... but he is a constant threat that many teams in the division fear, he occupies defences which creates room for more natural goalscorer and above all... he's a tryer, but he trudged off the pitch yesterday and whilst it's difficult to put my finger on it, it just didn't seem right.

Yes, he may have been incredibly frustrated with HOOFsky behind him, not only never passing to him instead favouring possession-conceding aimless hoofs which resulted in opposition attacks 100% of the time... but there didn't even seem frustration on Dyer's part as he trudged off... it just seemed indifference :dunno:

Whilst I don't advocate management changes, the manner of yesterday's performance from the manager & 90% of the team (Wellens, Schlupp & Marshall aside) leaves big questions.

Did Cardiff's equaliser knock us for six that badly? If so, who gives a fvck - just get back on the horse and go again, we're at the wrong end of the season to tweak & build, to lay foundations.... we just need everything including the kitchen sink thrown at it, the absolute minimum everyone has a right to expect is effort. If we lose 2-1 and have tried hard, you can work with it but yesterday's performance has sown a seed of doubt in my mind.

Perhaps Pearson was already gone regardless of the result yesterday & the players know it?

Whatever... aside from the manner of yesterday's performance I think Pearson has done pretty much what everyone, including the owners expected, clearing the decks of players, reducing the club's exposure to Premiership wages.with some sales & some loan outs, although a couple of notable examples remain... Made a tight squad of young players who will improve as individuals and with it the team & as long as we finished in the playoff positions if we missed out would be a great position next season.

But the manner yesterday's performance does leave big questions - Not just the player's attitudes, effort etc but decisions like dropping Schlupp for HOOFsky, persisting with Wood in a formation that creates close to zero chances, whilst suited to hard earned points at Blackpool & Cardiff was just awful against poor Derby side where 3pts and a confidence giving performance were needed.

C'mon Nige, pretty much everyone knows you're much better than that - but after that abject horror show a replacement over the international break wouldn't be surprising :huh:

You have to look at their achievements over the whole season though. Pearson has taken us to 6th. With Sousa in charge, we were certainly not 6th.

You do make a good point about goal scoring though. At the moment I think our biggest problem is wasting our chances, if we had been as clinical as Derby yesterday we would've drawn the game and perhaps even won. It was similar at Cardiff, we had more chances than them, didn't take enough.

You have to look at their achievements over the whole season though. Pearson has taken us to 6th. With Sousa in charge, we were certainly not 6th.

Bottom but he didn't get a full season so how can you compare a whole season?

We don't even look like scoring goals, we will only carry on dropping for the last 8 games with NP

Who the fvck cares about Sousa? He's long gone and if people actually cared to look at the bigger picture, they'll see that we are in better position with Pearson at the helm. Pearson has also done a hell of a lot in reducing the wage bill. Results are one thing, and I like everyone else wish they were better. But the stature of the club is another thing too - this is something which Pearson is helping to rebuild after the craziness of Sven's spending.

Pearson is rebuilding us whilst trying to get us promoted and 6th is a good position to be in (I know we've been in better, but you should all remember we've been in much, MUCH worse). No need to compare him to Paulo bloody Sousa.

Bottom but he didn't get a full season so how can you compare a whole season?

We don't even look like scoring goals, we will only carry on dropping for the last 8 games with NP

You know that then? Honestly, you cannot say that form will simply continue indefinitely - just look at us earlier in the season, we were brilliant but then things changed.

By the same token, things can change again. There's no particular reason for this, it just happens. I can't really explain why we've become so poor recently and in the same way I can't explain how we'll turn things around. It'll just happen (hopefully).

Stats don't mean anything NFP has supposedly the best win percentage ratio of any City manager but is he better than MON, Matt Gillies or Micky Adams no.

You have to judge a manager on their credentials what level they have managed at, how successful they were at that level, what they have achieved in the game.

I'm going to agree with cc on this - its one win in ten with the cup game thrown in and not good enough - bye Nige, shame we had to go through the pain of buying most of the mediocre players available this year and waste a season to prove what some of us knew this time last year - the Nige mojo has gone

Christ you've changed your tune!

Shameful behaviour for a self-proclaimed Pearsonite!

:thumbup:

Why, I'm not calling for more transition.

We've shown more than enough up until yesterday's horror to show to suggest at the very least we've accrued very talented players and they're capabale of playing some of the best & winning football we have in years, if not longer.

My only problem was that apart from Wellens, Schlupp & Marshall they played like all was lost yesterday. Nige may have been standing at the touchline but he was offering no guidance and dishing out no bollockings. bizarre after the all hands on deck performance at Cardiff.

Some of you are forgetting the Sousa era was a transition period, we went from Pearsons rigid setup to a fluid, passing side. It takes time to adapt, more so as Sousa was working with mainly Pearson players used to his rigid tactics. But even though the results were not there, it set us up for Sven to come in and build on. Which he did until the following summer when most of the mistakes were made.

The two situations are not comparable. Has Pearson set us up to improve upon? I don't know, but it seems like we have gone back 3 years in the space of a few months.

Agree with most of the OP. Although I think when Lloyd came off he looked incredibly pissed off. It wasnt the look of someone who didnt care, to me it was quite the opposite.

I do think you're spot on with one thing. The players all new that was his last game and as a result, just didnt show.

Be really interested to know who's next for the hotseat. The hot tip is Keane but I cant believe the owners would be that stupid.

We'll soon find out.

For me the only reason that we haven't conceded more under NP and had a similar defensive record to that of Sousa is that we've played such rubbish sides in this run.

We've lost to teams that are woeful .... the run with sousa,as someone previously pointed out, was against strong opposition not such weak opposition.

Archived