Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

Millwall post match cry fest

Utterly lamentable performance. Yes, even acknowledging the handicap of the sending off. Whether the red card was justified or not Morgan was slow to react to the through ball and made a calamatously clumsy challenge. But that doesn't excuse much of what followed.

A battery re-charging break in Portugal? It seemed like a week in Siberia might do more to make our players and staff focus on what's necessary to win football matches whether you've got 11 men, 10 men or a pedantic refereee.

Cos first of all you have to score. Another zero in the "GF" column only emphasised the root cause of our recent demise - a chronic lack of goals together with the inability to stop conceding.

Of our 11 games in February and March, we beat Blackburn 3-0 and scored just six times in the other 10 while conceding goals in all but two of the games.

Tonight you could see some of the reasons why. We just carried so little threat. And how painful it was to see Knockaert given a free role in midfield? His energy and involvement acknowledged, the bloke was like a little boy lost.

He didn't see the options, limited though they were, he couldn't retain or control the ball, he ran into endless blind alleys, he didn't shoot and he was brushed aside like an irritation by the visiting defenders.

But at least he was seen to be bad and seen to be trying to make something happen...quite a plus on a day when everyone else seemed to just make up the numbers.

Poor Schluppy was like a tethered greyhound. It was as if he'd be consumed by fire if he ventured more than 10 yards into the Millwall half.

Mind you, the way Konchesky miscontrolled the ball and all but presented Millwall with a first half goal you could perhaps understand Schluppy being reluctant to leave him to look after himself. But it totally negated any potential threat from the left which meant we were almost totally neutered as an attacking force.

You wondered if a couple of dramatic Schmeichel saves might earn us a dogged point but somehow, with the way we've been playing and the fragile level of confidence among the team right now, you just knew we'd make an error or suffer a momentary lapse of concentration and you could say we did both with the result that Millwall had a free shot from the edge of the area and became one of the least ambitious-looking sides I've ever seen win a football match.

Once again Pearson and friends were asked an admittedly difficult tactical question and failed to come up with an effective answer either defensively to save a 0-0 or offensively to pinch an unlikely but perfectly possible win.

And all the excuses won't change the reality that we put ourselves under pressure and didn't have the imagination to recover.

Saved me the trouble cheers Thracian..........Although I probably would've summed it up in fewer words and more expletives. Fooking shite performance and just about summed up how fed up our players are with NP.

De Laet let us ALL down last night !!!

Head the fookin thing clear ffs !!!

Just how costly was that rank amateur attempt at basic defending remains to be seen !!!

But i'm sure you're out on the town as we speak ??

Lets ignore the piss poor defence positioning of the rest of the squad that allowed dunne so much room to ghost in with absolute no pressure

I'm not quite sure why people are giving the players credit for trying hard. They're supposed to try ****ing hard. We were terrible. We didn't create a thing. Being down to ten men isn't a good enough excuse for that.

Cockmyster more like !!!!

Thats it you knob.......ignore the obvious !!

If RDL had managed to achieve the basic requirement a defender is expected of him ...i.e .....head the fookin thing clear ...your argument or contribution if you like, is as worthless as you !!!

Somebody has watched the game at the pub lol

De Laet missed a run of the mill basic chance to head clear . He did'nt do it .Cost us all a draw & a precious point ....plus all the effort put in by the rest of the ten men!

End off !

I wonder who it was that Kasper was not enthralled with ????

So no criticism of Morgan's hopeless challenge to get a red?

Konchesky's utter ineptness to close down the striker

The midfielders not stopping the runners (AGAIN)

The only glimmering symmetry here is that we lost at home to Sheffield United at the end of March (in 1996) in similar circumstances (poor run of form)under O'Neill in the second tier of the time - yet what followed that was er, magical! Can't see history repeating but one can only hope I guess........

Cockmyster more like !!!!

I love the mature sharing of opinions on here without stupid comments or people moaning about you saying something. Oh well I suppose that's what you get when it's the school holidays, people getting a bit excited about having a later bedtime.

Since Huddersfield away in the FAC we have looked a mid table outfit at best. The fortunate wins over Miiddlesbro and Wolves tended to gloss over the problems. Defensively we have been more than adequate but clearly have one of our weakest midfields for many a year. The attacking threat has all but evaporated with Wood looking a real Plodder after his bright start. Not sure who our attack coach is but Wood, Nugent and Kane have joined Wagorn, Vardy and Futacs in looking completely impotent. Nigel has made more than a few poor signings this time around and sadly he will be doubtless be on his way in the summer. The Thai investment has been massive - to basically fine tune a side that DID make the play -offs 3 years ago!

Considering they had a man more than us for 90 minutes, we didn't do too badly but let ourselves down with the goal. It was sloppy with about four individual errors to allow them to create the chance and allow Dunne to be untracked with time and space to finish. It was particularly frustrating because as the game wore on, you would not have thought Millwall had a man more than us and would have said we were the better team. But that is football.

Credit to Nugent who worked tirelessly upfront whilst seemingly playing on his own (was Wood playing last night?). I know there's the suggestion that Wood is playing with an injury, which is credit to him for wanting to do that for the sake of the team, but we saw the results last night. He was immobile and offered little. At the moment, I'd play Vardy over Kane.

De Laet missed a run of the mill basic chance to head clear . He did'nt do it .Cost us all a draw & a precious point ....plus all the effort put in by the rest of the ten men!

End off !

I wonder who it was that Kasper was not enthralled with ????

In fairness, although it was an awful header, he recovered, made a good challenge, and was unlucky for the ball to spin back to their lad, and then our midfield didn't track the runners. :dunno:

Our current lack of form cannot continue surely. We hadn't beat Millwall in the last three encounters, down to ten in the first three minutes was a disaster.

I believe Brighton, Bolton ,and Middlesbrough will all lose today so the status quo will remain

The thing that concerned me was that in 95 mins of football we didnt have a meaningful shot on their goal! Their keeper only made one save all night a header from Wood that hit him and then the post. It's all very well trying hard with ten men but to not have a shot at goal all night to make their keeper work is shocking. Nugent playing out wide is wasted and since we have brought Wood we do resort to hoofball. If we can buy someone next season please get Schittu the man was a rock and man mountain. Him and Morgan would be awesome.

Forget last night but over the last two months we have shown we're not ready for the Premier League. We'd get hammered week in week out with this squad.

Happy to stand by Pearson until the end of the season but then he should walk away if we're not in the top 6. The time and resources he has had there is no excuse.

In fairness, although it was an awful header, he recovered, made a good challenge, and was unlucky for the ball to spin back to their lad, and then our midfield didn't track the runners. :dunno:

Exactly. The runner that scored made a 30 yard run to hit the ball and not one of our midfield bothered to run with him. Just a bit of pressure on him and he'd have never scored.

The thing that concerned me was that in 95 mins of football we didnt have a meaningful shot on their goal! Their keeper only made one save all night a header from Wood that hit him and then the post. It's all very well trying hard with ten men but to not have a shot at goal all night to make their keeper work is shocking. Nugent playing out wide is wasted and since we have brought Wood we do resort to hoofball. If we can buy someone next season please get Schittu the man was a rock and man mountain. Him and Morgan would be awesome.

And would concede shed loads of goals against nimble quick strikers. Too similar players.

Apart from the effort we were piss poor again last night. This has been the case for a very long time and proves one of two things.....

1) That we are a poor side and that spell of good attacking football that got us top of the table early season was some sort of illusion.

2) Or that we are a very decent side who have had the life and belief sucked out of us by a series of inept management and tactical decisions.

Take your pick, I know which one I believe.

Archived