Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfcjonno

Pearsons tactics

Guest MattP

4-4-2 and 4-3-3 are so outdated. Pearson doesn't have a clue.

We should move to my 3-1-2-2-1-1/2-1/4-1/4-1 formation I use on Football Manager. Won the Champions League with Hinckley.

4-4-2 and 4-3-3 are so outdated. Pearson doesn't have a clue.

We should move to my 3-1-2-2-1-1/2-1/4-1/4-1 formation I use on Football Manager. Won the Champions League with Hinckley.

Well, that seems easy. But before we win the Champions League, we need to get out of the championship. Do we need some different players or could the existing squad play in a different formation?

Just because it works on a game doesn't mean it works in real life. Players play in formations like 442 and 433 all the time they learn it. If we switch to another one with 3 at the back it will only go wrong, just look at Man City. 442 and 433 are tried and tested and worked and hinckley winning the champions league just shows how un realistic games are.

Wow.

Just because it works on a game doesn't mean it works in real life. Players play in formations like 442 and 433 all the time they learn it. If we switch to another one with 3 at the back it will only go wrong, just look at Man City. 442 and 433 are tried and tested and worked and hinckley winning the champions league just shows how un realistic games are.

Well done.

lol We have ourselves a winner!

4-4-2 work well for us.

I thought that the 4 -3 -2 -1 (flat back four with three 'holding' midfielders, two wingers and a central striker) which we played at Birmingham worked really, really well.

Limited?

We've changed to 433 after teams worked out our 442... We didn't need to change before then, as we were flying, until couple of bad results sapped our confidence and then nothing we did until recently worked.

Personally don't think 433 suits our players.

4231, attacking fullbacks with extra defensive cover provided by any 2 defensive from King, Drinkwater & James.

3 attacking mids of Marshall, Knockaert & Dyer supporting 1 of Nuge, Wood or Schlupp.

This should have been worked on more, we played it at Hull away & got a good 0-0

We could also play 4411 with Knockaert or Marshall off the front man.

Before we contemplate a change of formation I feel we need to make sure that we have someone in the club who knows how to play anything other than 4-4-2.

We are still miles away from playing an effective 4-3-3, let alone anything as exotic as 4-2-3-1. Sure you can tell players to play in this or that formation but if you do not coach them in their respective roles you just end up with a mess, something we have seen far too often this season....... :(

I couldn't give two ****s how we line up. It's how we play that it important, if you can't pass to a ****ing team mate, or spend your time knocking it long it matters not one jot who is stood where.

I agree tactics aren't everything but they can be the difference between winning and losing.

Limited?

We've changed to 433 after teams worked out our 442... We didn't need to change before then, as we were flying, until couple of bad results sapped our confidence and then nothing we did until recently worked.

Personally don't think 433 suits our players.

4231, attacking fullbacks with extra defensive cover provided by any 2 defensive from King, Drinkwater & James.

3 attacking mids of Marshall, Knockaert & Dyer supporting 1 of Nuge, Wood or Schlupp.

This should have been worked on more, we played it at Hull away & got a good 0-0

We could also play 4411 with Knockaert or Marshall off the front man

I think the 4231 as played by sides like dortmund would suit us. As it gives us options. Using the squad we have.

Schlupp could be the attacking full back, one of the 3 or occasionally the front man.

Any of king, knocky, dyer, marshall or schlupp can play as the 3.

Gives you chance to rotate wood and nugent keeping them fresh.

King, dd and james can rotate sitting in front of the back four.

Delaet would love the fact he had 2 players to tidy up if he went forward.

Really been thinking for the last few days how much this would then help marshall and knocky not have to defend aa much.

Never gonna happen mind.

Guest MattP

Know a fella whose brother played under Barry Fry, he once gave a one sentence teamtalk that went like this.

"Go out there and ****ing kill the bastards"

True Story.

the plan B stuff is a bit yawn. I look at it this way, if you can't impose your plan A on enough teams in this division to get top six, let alone top 2, then you don't deserve promotion.

the real issue isn't having a plan B like loads of people whinge about, it's about having an effective plan A that you can execute regardless of the opposition.

the plan B stuff is a bit yawn. I look at it this way, if you can't impose your plan A on enough teams in this division to get top six, let alone top 2, then you don't deserve promotion.

the real issue isn't having a plan B like loads of people whinge about, it's about having an effective plan A that you can execute regardless of the opposition.

We did have an excellent Plan A and we did impose it on the opposition well enough to to get us top of the table...... :thumbup:

Then, for whatever reason, we stopped and moved to Plan B in some bizarre attempt to 'tighten up' defensively and defend our position at the top of the table. In this case Plan B was an epic fail, even worse we have found it virtually impossible to revert to Plan A........ :frusty:

Truth of the matter in my opinion is too much youth and inexperience in the side. we have suffered from too many games where heads have dropped and no real leader taking control of morale. You can play what formation you like but unless there is mental strength in the side you will quickly get found out, and for my money that's exactly what happened. Teams started to come here and bully us and knock us out of our stride and we did not have the maturity to deal with it.

I couldn't give two ****s how we line up. It's how we play that it important, if you can't pass to a ****ing team mate, or spend your time knocking it long it matters not one jot who is stood where.

Very ture

Truth of the matter in my opinion is too much youth and inexperience in the side. we have suffered from too many games where heads have dropped and no real leader taking control of morale. You can play what formation you like but unless there is mental strength in the side you will quickly get found out, and for my money that's exactly what happened. Teams started to come here and bully us and knock us out of our stride and we did not have the maturity to deal with it.

Very ture

It's a chicken and egg thing.

Until you decide to play a certain formation you have to have the players to do so.

We don't have the players to play anything other than a 4-4-2 effectively. That's been demonstrated all season.

Personally, I'd have gone 4-1-4-1 away from home, with a DM. But we don't have one that's good enough so it's all academic.

It's a chicken and egg thing.

Until you decide to play a certain formation you have to have the players to do so.

We don't have the players to play anything other than a 4-4-2 effectively. That's been demonstrated all season.

Personally, I'd have gone 4-1-4-1 away from home, with a DM. But we don't have one that's good enough so it's all academic.

As has been pointed out above, our squad is a natural fit for a 4-2-3-1. Not having a defensive midfielder is offset by the use of two players who are defensively capable, as a pair. We have three players who could play that role though I do not see any evidence, as yet, that they know how to do so.

Having an attacking player in front of them, in the hole, is a prerequisite and the way King played on Bridcutt for much of the Brighton game shows how a player like Knockaert or Marshall can put their modest defensive talents to good use without having to drop too deep.

There are plenty of options with this system, the wide men can be either wingers or strikers, the frontman can be fed on the floor or from crosses, whatever suits the game.

All that is needed is a coach with the flexibility and belief to try it and the skill to show the players how to do it..... :thumbup:

Archived