Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NathanC93

Pearson - Should he stay or should he go?

Should he stay or should he go?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Leave or Stay

So a desire to stay in this league then.

I'm very doubtful that bringing in a new manager and changing our path once more would be any more likely to bring promotion than sticking with what we've got.

I'm not going to argue with you. We've made up our minds and neither of us will change their view.

I find it totally irrational to want anything other than a new manager.

He's just not good enough - The only reason i can think of for anyone backing him now is the fear of change - which is a basic human condition.

It's why abused partners stay with their abuser, it's why you stay in a job you hate, it's why you live somewhere and visit somewhere else and say how much nicer it is ..... but do nothing about it .....

There is no rational reason to keep NP.

Exactly my point.

Your typical flippant response to a genuine concern/feeling that doesn't enable us to discuss alternatives and to move on.

I'm not surprised though..

:thumbup:

you're talking nonsense. it's like me saying I'm going to walk to the moon and then calling your obviously rubbishing reply flippant.

Wow, majority voted stay! Didn't expect that.

Pleased there's a desire to retain stability at the club.

I didn't expect it either ..... I don't think it's a desire for stability...... why would anyone want to be relegated next season??? That's the form of the last half a season and what we'll get with stability. It's just fear of change and the belief that there's noone out there better.

I'm very doubtful that bringing in a new manager and changing our path once more would be any more likely to bring promotion than sticking with what we've got.

I'm not going to argue with you. We've made up our minds and neither of us will change their view.

I beg your pardon? By that logic Nigel Pearson is the best manager we'll ever get as no one else could get us out of this league. Footballing sides do well in this league, for whatever reason we stopped being a football side around late Jan early Feb, lets get a coach in who can get our side playing football.

Give him the summer and 10/15 games into next season

We will have a clear indication then if he is capable of getting us up

And be forced into another panic appointment of the next manager. That's what got us in this mess in the first place.

Stay.

Can't stand him or his tactical ineptness, or his stubbornness, or his poor purchases this year.

But can't stand going back to the manager merrygoround and the upheaval.

But if he stays, we will stay in the Championship.

I've heard that before...

It would be criminal to sack a manager early/midway through the season that would mean another season is down the drain with regards to promotion. Now is the perfect time to get rid of NP, and allow the new manager to evaluate the situation.

Was about to say exactly the same as Smiggy.

Give Pearson the summer and then the first 10-15 games.

If we are not in the top 6 by that point, then it would be time to get rid.

We were comfortably inside the top 6 after 15 games this season.

If anything, this season has taught us that what is true after 15 games (and indeed 30) is not always true after 45.

Ultimately, I don't really care either way.

I like Pearson. I think he's a good manager who has at various points throughout his 2 spells (including almost the entirety of his first) done an absolutely excellent job. But the last 16-17 games have been ridiculously poor - worse even than our form in the dark days of 2005-8. Ultimately there can be no excuses for that given the budget he has had at his disposal.

I don't think anybody could realistically complain if the Thais sacked him.

Give him the summer and 10/15 games into next season

We will have a clear indication then if he is capable of getting us up

By which time if we have to get rid we will already playing catch up, with a new manager who has to get is ideas across during the season, rather than in pre season.

If we are going to change the manager, and i think we should, we need to do it at the end of the season, and give the new man a full pre season to assemble his squad, and get his ideas across to the players.

It would be criminal to sack a manager early/midway through the season that would mean another season is down the drain with regards to promotion. Now is the perfect time to get rid of NP, and allow the new manager to evaluate the situation.

He's done nothing to justify giving him another chance.

We'll learn nothing by giving him that chance anyway.

And if we do sack him we have to make a panic appointment in mid season.

Stay, for consistency's sake, a new manager starting again from scratch would be a massive gamble. Having said that it would be totally understandable if the owners decided to get rid.

He's done nothing to justify giving him another chance.

We'll learn nothing by giving him that chance anyway.

And if we do sack him we have to make a panic appointment in mid season.

Spot on that is why it is the perfect time to get rid now, as opposed to next season when another season will be down the gutter.

I beg your pardon? By that logic Nigel Pearson is the best manager we'll ever get as no one else could get us out of this league. Footballing sides do well in this league, for whatever reason we stopped being a football side around late Jan early Feb, lets get a coach in who can get our side playing football.

No, not at all. That's very far from what I was suggesting.

What I was saying is that making big changes may not be helpful in the short term and it could take a while for us to be ready for promotion. A new manager will likely lead to a shake up of the squad - again - and I'd question if that will be any more likely to bring about promotion next season than sticking to our current path.

Talk about fickle fans, this very question was asked half a dozen or so games ago.

Then about 70% said sack, 30% stay.

It looks like 50% of you don't have a feckin clue what to do for the best.

Tell you what let's just ask Top to flip a coin!

Martin O'Neill, Neil Lennon or Mark Hughes sooner rather then later so they can re-build.

Pearson failed to notice how poor Drinkwater is months ago, and failed to bring in an alternative midfielder in the January.

It's a game of fine margins and for me that would've turned some of our draws into wins.

No, not at all. That's very far from what I was suggesting.

What I was saying is that making big changes may not be helpful in the short term and it could take a while for us to be ready for promotion. A new manager will likely lead to a shake up of the squad - again - and I'd question if that will be any more likely to bring about promotion next season than sticking to our current path.

Except every side above us (with the exception of Cardiff by 2 months) have managers who've been in place for a shorter period of time than Pearson.

We were comfortably inside the top 6 after 15 games this season.

If anything, this season has taught us that what is true after 15 games (and indeed 30) is not always true after 45.

I'm shocked to hear people saying 'give him 10-15'. Do we never learn? We tried that with Taylor, kidding ourselves that poor end of season runs never become poor start of season runs (Bill Anderson spent a whole summer telling us that). As a result we went down and were very nearly closed down.

Then we did the same with Adams, who jumped before he was pushed in 05. We ended up lower-mid table after being among the favourites to go up.

Then we did it when we brought in Megson for Allen. We went down to the third that year for the first time ever.

Then we did it when we fired Sven for Pearson. We went from promotion certainties to a side that couldn't make the play-offs for two seasons running.

I think those instances are the only ones in the club's history of us waiting 10-15 games. Two ended in relegation, one in financial ruin and all four were distinctly disastrous decisions.

Archived