Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NathanC93

Pearson - Should he stay or should he go?

Should he stay or should he go?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Leave or Stay

ive said many times before i couldnt care less who is the Leicester manager, certainly have nothing against NP and i actually hate seeing us sack managers

However he has had his chance, when we lose to F****t he should go as he has failed

IF we lose

Stay.

Can't stand him or his tactical ineptness, or his stubbornness, or his poor purchases this year.

But can't stand going back to the manager merrygoround and the upheaval.

But if he stays, we will stay in the Championship.

so why say stay. you are right on 2 of your points and should be sacked at end of season

If an outstanding candidate became available then possibly a change would be in order...but for the life of me i can't think of any outstanding candidate who would be likely to come!! Can't see any point on changing for changings sake. So for me I'd prefer to see him stay

How on earth can anyone claim it was the 'right call' to give Taylor the opening games of the 2001-02 season? Not even 'at the time', no. We went through one of our worst ever runs of form in spring 2001 after a humiliating cup defeat to Wycombe. Instead of being proactive, we stuck with him in the summer and couldn't turn the form around. Leicester fans quite rightly opted not to blame Bassett and Adams for failing to halt a run which began in March and ended in April a year later.

As a result of that failure, and our decision to allow it to persist into another season (with over five million spent on transfers in the summer of 2001), we went down, went bankrupt and very nearly ceased to be a football club. I hope the club, then, has learnt its lesson rather better than some of the posters on here!

Those fourteen months were enough to establish Taylor as the worst failure in our club's history, just as the past eighteen months have - barring something spectacular happening at the weekend - been enough to establish Pearson as having failed. I am amazed that someone, in trying to uphold the argument that eighteen months is not long enough for a manager, could possibly attempt to tilt the blame for what happened in 2001-02 away from Taylor and towards Bassett.

And how is it regressive to fire a manager when you are in the top half of the table? Every club has different objectives. If Man City finished 9th they would be right to fire their manager. For us 7th, 8th or 9th would represent every bit as much of a failure as our 18th (?) place finish under Kelly did back then. And I'm sure a competent board would consider the nature of that failure: Namely ending the season in the club's worst run of form in eight years.

If you can't remember Pleat, then the disastrous end of season runs under Taylor, Levein and Eriksson should be enough for you to see what happens when you persist with a manager who quite obviously isn't getting it right.

The last time we let Nigel go for not doing quite well enough we were bottom of the league by September. Did that represent 'positive' change? 7th with a young squad isn't failure, it's a stepping stone to better things.

I was disappointed with the decision to sack Sven at the time for the reason I stated above, but a lot of the time he looked more devoid of ideas than any Nigel Pearson side, and yet a lot of fans here still maintain he should never have gone, especially the fans who dislike Pearson today, mostly because we had a team that would deceptively pass the ball around midfield for long periods, before running straight into the opposition defence.

The reason I say we were probably right to keep Peter Taylor is because it was worth taking the risk that he realised he made a mistake in selling Neil Lennon, which was the chief cause of our horrible end of season form, beginning with a 6-1(?) tanking at Arsenal. Unfortunately he replaced him with Matt Jones and Dennis Wise, and that was when we firmly went off the rails. We learned Taylor was not a good judge of talent.

I preach patience because patience often pays, I believe our current squad, with some additions, will come back more mature, battle-hardened, and ultimately, better footballers. At times we've looked absolute gravy, even during the run of bad form, only to suffer a defensive lapse which is why Pearson has bought some patience with me. This can be worked on, remember we're still in playoff contention because our goal difference is +22, this is ample evidence of our class, our points total is evidence of our team's naïvity.

Voted for him to stay but unfortunately I'm not overly bothered.

On the one hand, I would like some stability and I'm worried about who Nigel would be replaced with.

On the other, it's frightening how bad the last few months have been and his failure to get the best out of our players, most notably Knocky, is very evident.

I'd like to think that Nigel will have learnt from this season, will bring in some experience and will become more flexible with tactics but I'm really struggling to see it.

Why on earth did any of them do a lap of honour?

What honour?

We've probably cocked up the league and have given away both cups at a whimper.

What 'honour' are we talking about?

If we win at Forest and make the play offs then ill understand.

Last night we lost didn't we.. And the players still wandered round like we'd won??

Come on.. Surely you know the difference between a lap of honour and what the players and ownets did on Friday? That was far from a lap of honour. The players' faces said it all. It was just a show of appreciation for the support we've given them this season.

A difficult decision, but in the end I think he has to go.

Our form since February has not just been relegation form, it's been worse than that. We've won 1 game out of our last 12. If we carried that form into next season, we'd be cut adrift at the bottom of the table by Christmas.

I'm not saying this because I think it's likely this would happen if we kept him (indeed, it is extremely unlikely)...I'm saying it to underline how bad our form has been in the last quarter of the season (in fact, 12 games is slighly more than quarter of the season).

The more I look at this team, the more I think this is not just a 'blip', but a terminal decline that NP is just not able to stop. He's brought in some good players, but he's also made bad signings (Whitbread, Vardy) and then tried to cover them up with promising but inexperienced loanees to replace them (Keane, Kane), which has meant our team has lacked the nous and spine required to pull it together when things aren't going well. In tight games he hasn't made the right decisions tactically. We hear more and more about him falling out with players in the dressing room....

The fact is, this team has never had it in it to hold out for a win under pressure or come back from behind to win. Pearson had the chance to strengthen our spine in January by going out and getting a decent midfield player, but he didn't do it and instead signed two inconsistent and unrealiable forwards (Wood and Kane), despite the fact he had his £1m summer signing (Vardy) and underused confidence-shattered young striker (Waghorn) rotting on the bench.

Come the end of the season we'll be 7th or 8th, having barely improved from this time last season (except arguably defensively), having spent a fair wad of cash.

We need a Steve Bruce, someone who adds quality without changing the whole squad and has got a team out the champ. I'm not sure this is available, only really MON and you could argue it has been too long since he managed there, plus I think he won't want to come back.

Therefore I think it would be less risky if Nigel stayed.

A difficult decision, but in the end I think he has to go.

Our form since February has not just been relegation form, it's been worse than that. We've won 1 game out of our last 12. If we carried that form into next season, we'd be cut adrift at the bottom of the table by Christmas.

I'm not saying this because I think it's likely this would happen if we kept him (indeed, it is extremely unlikely)...I'm saying it to underline how bad our form has been in the last quarter of the season (in fact, 12 games is slighly more than quarter of the season).

The more I look at this team, the more I think this is not just a 'blip', but a terminal decline that NP is just not able to stop. He's brought in some good players, but he's also made bad signings (Whitbread, Vardy) and then tried to cover them up with promising but inexperienced loanees to replace them (Keane, Kane), which has meant our team has lacked the nous and spine required to pull it together when things aren't going well. In tight games he hasn't made the right decisions tactically. We hear more and more about him falling out with players in the dressing room....

The fact is, this team has never had it in it to hold out for a win under pressure or come back from behind to win. Pearson had the chance to strengthen our spine in January by going out and getting a decent midfield player, but he didn't do it and instead signed two inconsistent and unrealiable forwards (Wood and Kane), despite the fact he had his £1m summer signing (Vardy) and underused confidence-shattered young striker (Waghorn) rotting on the bench.

Come the end of the season we'll be 7th or 8th, having barely improved from this time last season (except arguably defensively), having spent a fair wad of cash.

This

Why on earth did any of them do a lap of honour?

What honour?

We've probably cocked up the league and have given away both cups at a whimper.

What 'honour' are we talking about?

If we win at Forest and make the play offs then ill understand.

Last night we lost didn't we.. And the players still wandered round like we'd won??

cynicol. it wasn't a lap of honour, it was a lap of 'thank the fans'. you spin things worse than mandelson.

There are some well balanced views on here and I think the decision is a pretty close call.

The Peter Taylor comparison is interesting and one I was thinking about the other day. The current situation does show some similiarities but I think Taylor had lost the dressing room by the end of the season and the 5-0 nil home defeat to Bolton was the final nail really. I'm not sure that is the case now. Whilst some players will always fall out with managers whilst others prosper we have not been playing like a side that doesn't want to play for the manager. By the way Lennon wanted to leave and there was really nothing we could have done to stop it. The replacing him with Junior Lewis was one of the real issues.

I'm starting to think that we may not actually be that far away from a promotion side. What seems lacking to me is quality in certain positions but more than that leaders and winners on the pitch. We have lost the knowhow on how to win. Why that seemed to happen so suddenly is difficult to say. Personally I would have kept playing the same team for the cup. Young men winning in style surely just want to keep playing. They could get injured falling down the stairs at home so I don't buy the injury argument. After that defeat we just seemed to lose the plot.

The main issue for me is who is available to replace him who could do better. If we are looking for free agents then there is only one man for me and he is well out of our league and isn't Uk based.

Hughes doesn't do it for me, Warnock basically appears to be seeking an upstairs kind of role. MON looks like his best days have gone. Sunderland were a shambles to be honest and without Robertson some of the brio seems to have faded. De Matteo is possible, despite those on here who say he wouldn't be interested he is out of work and we are not such a bad club.

Otherwise we are looking at yet more cost and yet more rebuilding. I'm really not sure what I would do but without a guaranteed better prospect i would probably stick. I'm not sure the owners would agree though.

I genuinely don't care anymore. Can see the positives and negatives of both sides. I'm just sick of it all.

Agree bored with it and the way we are playing I am bored with the team...bored bored bored.. seriously thinking about not renewing my ST

There are some well balanced views on here and I think the decision is a pretty close call.

The Peter Taylor comparison is interesting and one I was thinking about the other day. The current situation does show some similiarities but I think Taylor had lost the dressing room by the end of the season and the 5-0 nil home defeat to Bolton was the final nail really. I'm not sure that is the case now. Whilst some players will always fall out with managers whilst others prosper we have not been playing like a side that doesn't want to play for the manager. By the way Lennon wanted to leave and there was really nothing we could have done to stop it. The replacing him with Junior Lewis was one of the real issues.

I'm starting to think that we may not actually be that far away from a promotion side. What seems lacking to me is quality in certain positions but more than that leaders and winners on the pitch. We have lost the knowhow on how to win. Why that seemed to happen so suddenly is difficult to say. Personally I would have kept playing the same team for the cup. Young men winning in style surely just want to keep playing. They could get injured falling down the stairs at home so I don't buy the injury argument. After that defeat we just seemed to lose the plot.

The main issue for me is who is available to replace him who could do better. If we are looking for free agents then there is only one man for me and he is well out of our league and isn't Uk based.

Hughes doesn't do it for me, Warnock basically appears to be seeking an upstairs kind of role. MON looks like his best days have gone. Sunderland were a shambles to be honest and without Robertson some of the brio seems to have faded. De Matteo is possible, despite those on here who say he wouldn't be interested he is out of work and we are not such a bad club.

Otherwise we are looking at yet more cost and yet more rebuilding. I'm really not sure what I would do but without a guaranteed better prospect i would probably stick. I'm not sure the owners would agree though.

Some good points

I am told that RDM lives in Leamington Spa and that his kids go to school in the midlands... might be true might not.. but if Pearson gets the sack then I would go for RDM. I hope we dont go for MON even though he gave me the best years I have ever seen, we should learn from this mistake.. dont go back and to be fair he had lost the plot at Sunderland. In short Pearson has reached his level, the team have been awful for over a third of the season, not just a small blip, any strong characters, which we have sorely needed of late, seem to get shipped out so in my humble opinion its time for him to go. BYE

I would like to see him stay, so we can see him finish building the team he is working towards.

I don't think he would have came back unless he was assured time to do that.

The owners expected that he would deliver promotion he came back probably on massive wonga to deliver, last season the remit was the playoffs and we didn't achieve that this season was the big one where the aim NFP set and the owners was automatic promotion, so he didn't achieve that the minimum was promotion via the playoffs and it is going to take some miracle to even achieve that so for me NP hasn't delivered and it is time to part ways come the end of the season.

I know we can still make the playoffs but it is going to be a big ask to do so.

It's a tough one for me.

I've always really liked Pearson but towards the end of this season I did start to question myself. To me, it does seem like he has a habit of falling out with players and remaining stubborn and eventually forcing them out. Danns, Beckford, SSL and Mills for example. Rightly or wrongly something is not completely right behind the scenes and if this is going to be an ongoing problem, we aren't really left with much of a decision.

Tactically he has shown to be very one dimensional, unable to adapt to teams that aren't interested in attacking us. I admire what he has done with the majority of players he has brought in but I'm not sure he can be the man to motivate this team to do it all again next year.

I'm still undecided.

Listen it does not matter that 188 People say on here, (That many lol )

His contract will not be re-newed, he has failed big time, that despite having the best resources in the championship at his disposal.

PROMOTION was THE ONLY target for his 30 month contract and he has failed to deliver.

I for one just want this season of disappointment over asap and look forward to bright fresh young manager capable of motivating the squad he will be putting together....Here's to the :beer: NEW MANAGER and SQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... :clap::yesyes::clap:

His contract will not be re-newed, he has failed big time, that despite having the best resources in the championship at his disposal.

PROMOTION was THE ONLY target for his 30 month contract and he has failed to deliver.

I for one just want this season of disappointment over asap and look forward to bright fresh young manager capable of motivating the squad he will be putting together....Here's to the :beer: NEW MANAGER and SQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... :clap::yesyes::clap:

Nicely put

me too

Or it shows that 188 people know that things take time. Also if his target was promotion for a 30 month contract well he hasn't had 30 months so hasn't failed his objective

Archived