Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

89% - King's pass success rate.

Those who understand football get Andy King, those who watch, to quote Javier Clemente...

"The cows at [Athletic's countryside training ground] Lezama have seen a lot of football and they haven't got a ****ing clue"

Yeah. I've said from day one he's too good for most of our mongish fan base to understand or appreciate. 

I'd rather have 89% success of "sideways and backwards 2 yard passes" than 0.89% success of stupid hollywood passes that we used to get from Wellens and we now get from Drinkwater. 

He was excellent against Watford. However, I still think he chooses the simple option far too often. It's a shame that the passes aren't analysed to the extent that we could say how many were passes back to the defence as that is often kingy's preferred pass. It often leaves the defender or goalie with a far more risky pass or a hoof back to the opposition. I'd prefer a kingy with a lower pass completion percentage who takes more responsibility and few more positive risks to the 89% one we have now.

Yeah. I've said from day one he's too good for most of our mongish fan base to understand or appreciate. 

I'd rather have 89% success of "sideways and backwards 2 yard passes" than 0.89% success of stupid hollywood passes that we used to get from Wellens and we now get from Drinkwater. 

Quite a condescending attitude, especially considering our manager saw fit to drop him on various occasions this season.

I've never questioned King's passing, I don't think anyone has. It's his tendency to let more physical encounters pass him by without getting stuck in and, for a defensive midfielder, his worrying habit of not tracking people running from deep and not closing down men as they shape to shoot from distance.

I would expect those who understand football to notice this too.

And, bearing in mind he is a midfielder, his goalscoring record for the past season has hardly been spectacular has it? And I'm not sure he managed as many assists as Ben Marshall.

A good player, but let's not go pretending he was earth-shatteringly good this season, because he wasn't.

I wasn't saying it like that, but it's true he passes sideways and backwards a lot. This is why I think personally, he is a holding midfielder, but then again he doesn't tackle enough and players will drift past him with ease sometimes... Example can be seen against Watford, King lost his man, he shot, saved, they got a corner and scored.

Quite a condescending attitude, especially considering our manager saw fit to drop him on various occasions this season.

I've never questioned King's passing, I don't think anyone has. It's his tendency to let more physical encounters pass him by without getting stuck in and, for a defensive midfielder, his worrying habit of not tracking people running from deep and not closing down men as they shape to shoot from distance.

I would expect those who understand football to notice this too.

And, bearing in mind he is a midfielder, his goalscoring record for the past season has hardly been spectacular has it? And I'm not sure he managed as many assists as Ben Marshall.

A good player, but let's not go pretending he was earth-shatteringly good this season, because he wasn't.

I don't like entering into arguments about King because they're usually with stupid people who think "oh he hasn't scored and he didn't get booked making loads of stupid tackles so what did he do???" 

But questioning his goalscoring record is just stupid. He's been played quite a bit deeper this season if you've been watching, hence a drop from his usual double figures a season. 

I wasn't saying it like that, but it's true he passes sideways and backwards a lot. This is why I think personally, he is a holding midfielder, but then again he doesn't tackle enough and players will drift past him with ease sometimes... Example can be seen against Watford, King lost his man, he shot, saved, they got a corner and scored.

That argument comes up a lot. I'd quite like to see a stat on his tackling, he "gets a foot in" pretty frequently and reads the game well making quite a few interceptions so he very rarely needs to dive into Scholes-like tackles last ditch etc, which leads a lot of people to saying he "doesn't ever tackle anyone" and silly things like that. 

King has been our best midfielder since the League One season (and still is, with Matty James providing a challenge in the past 6 weeks). Can't see how anyone can argue with that. 

Or he was the only one after 180 minutes in four days tracking back. DD who'd barely been on the pitch was no where to be seen.

Or he was the only one after 180 minutes in four days tracking back. DD who'd barely been on the pitch was no where to be seen.

Agree totally Mike, him and James were a beacon of light in a team that died on it's arse for the last 2/3 months of the season!

I was talking about the home game which we lost, but yeah, he or Schlupp could have tackled before Deeney scored (but that's easy to say now). Not bringing DD into it.

I do like the James/King partneship, however.

He was excellent against Watford. However, I still think he chooses the simple option far too often. It's a shame that the passes aren't analysed to the extent that we could say how many were passes back to the defence as that is often kingy's preferred pass. It often leaves the defender or goalie with a far more risky pass or a hoof back to the opposition. I'd prefer a kingy with a lower pass completion percentage who takes more responsibility and few more positive risks to the 89% one we have now.

That's a fair point.

Those who understand football get Andy King, those who watch, to quote Javier Clemente...

"The cows at [Athletic's countryside training ground] Lezama have seen a lot of football and they haven't got a ****ing clue"

And you my deluded geezer are certainly one !!! :)

Look ....... Look.........it's yet another pig appearing between the clouds !!! :blush:

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head!!

Well done!

King is 'keeping things ticking over'...

What a fookin waste.....

I made the point yesterday regarding how good Andy King could be... And stick with it.

In a 4-4-2 overrun away at Millwall and Peterborough.. Nah.

Play him the right way and you'll get so much more out of him than 'ticking over'.

Just out of interest Col, did you go to the Millwall game away this year? Because he certainly didn't get overrun. Was let down by Drinky having a shocking and it was the dominence of their Centre Backs and Morgan being out-'Morganed' that was the downfall in that match. Truly dreadful match where both teams deserved to lose.

Feck me, you lot are up and down like a brides nightie, with your opinions of players.

Many on here were calling for King to be offloaded and saying James wasn't good enough earlier in the season.

Marshall was the flavour of the month, now you feckers have turned on him along with Knocky, Knochy, Nugey, Sainty, Kaspey and Drinky to name but a few.

Get real!

Just out of interest Col, did you go to the Millwall game away this year? Because he certainly didn't get overrun. Was let down by Drinky having a shocking and it was the dominence of their Centre Backs and Morgan being out-'Morganed' that was the downfall in that match. Truly dreadful match where both teams deserved to lose.

I've said it often before.

During games when we AS A TEAM get overrun (Millwall was just an example but there's been plenty of others), King becomes wasted because he can't influence the game. This has to stop under Pearson. In a flat 4-4-2 away from home, King and Knocky become redundant going forward because their defensive duties become too important. I've seen it time and time again.

For those complaining about his short sideways passes, you have to look at what he does after he passes, he normally moves further up the pitch in a decent more advanced position to get the ball back, but we normally aren't looking for him, instead we hit it long or go out wide.

When we were playing some great stuff at the start of the season it was largely driven by this kind of movement.

I can see what people mean by short passes, it's true, but I don't think that's necessarily a problem. I'd rather he kept it short when he can rather than trying some stupid long ball and consequently giving the ball away. He's a very sensible player, he's got the mentality of someone far older then himself.

Foxes Talk: Turning positive stats about our players into reasons to shit on them.

Indeed, it's pathetic.

Love Kingy and his style of play. To those complaining that his stats are good because he doesn't play defence splitting passes on a regular basis, that's because he's not stupid enough to constantly keep trying them when in all likelihood they won't come off. If he doesn't have a clear option going forward then yes, he'll pass it sideways or backwards, because whoever he passes it to may have another option open to them, or it simply means we'll retain possession for a bit longer and hopefully something will be created out of it. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

This stat has clearly separated those who appreciate the nuances of football from those who don't irrespective of how you rate Andy King.

Yes, he rarely attempts killer passes you'd expect it to be very high and if he went for those hollywood passes more often then a pass rate of 70% would be decent. 

Yes, he passes sideways and backwards often BUT he always keeps the ball moving whilst rarely making a pass for the sake of it. As people have pointed out, he allows us to dictate the tempo and is normally the starting point for our attacks because he picks the right pass that enables us to create incisive attacks.

His pass and move philosophy is vtial to our good football and not giving the ball away is better than sticking it out for a thrown-in down in the corner.

I'd be interested to see his tackling stats as well; I reckon he'd have one of the highest successful tackle rates and number of tackles per game.

This stat has clearly separated those who appreciate the nuances of football from those who don't irrespective of how you rate Andy King.

Yes, he rarely attempts killer passes you'd expect it to be very high and if he went for those hollywood passes more often then a pass rate of 70% would be decent.

Yes, he passes sideways and backwards often BUT he always keeps the ball moving whilst rarely making a pass for the sake of it. As people have pointed out, he allows us to dictate the tempo and is normally the starting point for our attacks because he picks the right pass that enables us to create incisive attacks.

His pass and move philosophy is vtial to our good football and not giving the ball away is better than sticking it out for a thrown-in down in the corner.

I'd be interested to see his tackling stats as well; I reckon he'd have one of the highest successful tackle rates and number of tackles per game.

Wow, so speaks the football nuance appreciation society!

Wow, so speaks the football nuance appreciation society!

It's better than the offerings we get on here from the football ignoramus association

The ball retention stat is very good.  King is vastly underrated, which is a shame.

Just like Dyer.

Hugely influential and dangerous player that is slagged off by some of our fans because the odd cross is not exactly on the money.

He creates goal scoring opportunities game in game out.

Archived