Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve@lcfc

Capacity of the kp if standing

Hi first post/thread so here gos

After hearing that Dortmund get 80 thousand fans some standing made me wonder if English grounds were converted back to standing what sort of attendances we could expect.

Any thoughts on this anyone.

I thought the idea of safe standing was the capacity would remain the same.

That's what I thought too. Attendance-wise I dont think it'd make much difference to a club like our's. I think it'd mainly be existing fans who took the opportunity to stand - its unlikely terracing would attract too many new fans.

Could be wrong obviously and some may totally disagree.

The safe limit in Germany is 1.8 standing for every 1 person seated, but 1.5 is more common apparently.

Therefore, if the Kop were to be converted the capacity would go from 8,000 to 12,000.

Do the same in the away end, as is the case in Germany, and the away capacity would go from 3,200 to 4,800.

The capacity would therefore be about 37,500.

I thought the stadium was built with seating in mind only ? We know we can't have rock concerts because of fans moving and swaying the footings are not strong enough,  I would imagine major structual work would have to be put in for standing to happen ?

I thought the stadium was built with seating in mind only ? We know we can't have rock concerts because of fans moving and swaying the footings are not strong enough,  I would imagine major structual work would have to be put in for standing to happen ?

That is a concern. We ran out of money building the stadium and some of the rumours I've heard about where the corners were cut is quite scary. I like to think that we intend to finish our ten year old ground at some point that now we own it again anyway.

Would one end of the ground standing make that much of a difference to the structure of the ground? It's impossible to say without knowing a thing or two about archetecture and the condition of the stand.

I was told by someone who worked at the merc at the time that the work would of been carried out a few years ago if we won the right to hold the prince's trust concert and if I remember correctly I was told it would cost about £200,000.

I believe that's because with music everyone moves in synchrony to the beat a bit like soldiers marching, football crowds don't move like that.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051103080801.htm

can't see how they can make the seated space any smaller myself, can't fit in the seats as they are now and I am as slim as you can get

The seats would be the same size but when locked back you can actually get more people in standing side by side unless they're all of jobber proportions but that would be a problem with all seating any way.

If this were true then surely there would have been some kind of damage or incident after or during a particularly epic goal celebration? Watford in the POs springs to mind, everybody in a pretty much full Kop (and the rest of the ground) standing and jumping about like mad. Bamba v Man City or Howard v Leeds in League One also brought pandemonium to more or less full stands. If the structure can take that surely it can take a standing area in the Kop?

If this were true then surely there would have been some kind of damage or incident after or during a particularly epic goal celebration? Watford in the POs springs to mind, everybody in a pretty much full Kop (and the rest of the ground) standing and jumping about like mad. Bamba v Man City or Howard v Leeds in League One also brought pandemonium to more or less full stands. If the structure can take that surely it can take a standing area in the Kop?

A few seconds of bouncing about is ok, think about earth tremors, earth quakes etc.

But to have say 30k jumping up and down for two hours at a concert would cause problems.

The most I have felt it move in recent years is when the Man City fans did their orchestrated Poznan for Neil Young in the FA Cup, the kop was shaking then. 4,000 odd fans all jumping up and down, now multiple that by a full house and see what it would do.

Personally I reckon it would weaken joints in the concrete at its weakest points, rather than collapse in. But structurally it would be deemed unsafe if cracks did appear.

A few seconds of bouncing about is ok, think about earth tremors, earth quakes etc.

But to have say 30k jumping up and down for two hours at a concert would cause problems.

The most I have felt it move in recent years is when the Man City fans did their orchestrated Poznan for Neil Young in the FA Cup, the kop was shaking then. 4,000 odd fans all jumping up and down, now multiple that by a full house and see what it would do.

Personally I reckon it would weaken joints in the concrete at its weakest points, rather than collapse in. But structurally it would be deemed unsafe if cracks did appear.

It's unsafe then. As there is a crack that runs along the length of the west stand. It runs along the outside seating area of the boxes. Has been there since at least 2008 when i worked at the club for a few months.

There is also a lot of timber packing under sk4 where the concrete doesnt meet the steels.

Archived