Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Parking near the ground being forced into closure

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Legal-threat-car-park-shuts/story-19133369-detail/story.html#axzz2UmOioevf

"An unauthorised car park where Leicester City's former Filbert Street ground once stood has been closed ahead of threatened legal action by the council.

The 220-space car park shut on May 19 as officials at Leicester City Council were preparing to take enforcement action against UK Parking, the firm which ran it.

1. 4899243.jpg

The closure means it is unlikely there will a drawn-out legal wrangle.

Council officers said the car park had been open since May, 2010. It only had planning permission to operate until October, 2011.

They had told UK Parking to shut the car park by March 20.

The council argued nearby residents had complained about noise and dust, particularly on match days.

They also said the closure of the car park would encourage the landowner to press ahead with a scheme to build 77 terraced homes on the three-acre site rather than keep leasing it to UK Parking.

Castle ward city councillor Patrick Kitterick, who is chairman of the council's planning committee, which will discuss the issue on Wednesday, said: "I am pleased it has closed because the cars were causing dust problems for nearby people when it was dry and making it muddy when it was wet.

"I hope the landowner will now push ahead with the development they have applied for permission for.''

Some residents said they missed the car park.

Angie Beales, of St Andrew's Residents Association, said: "That car park was a help, especially for people going to the hospital and for nurses.

"When the football season starts again, fans will miss it, too.

"I don't see why they weren't allowed to keep running it as a car park until the developer was ready to build the houses."

One resident from Filbert Street, who asked not to be named, said: "The dust wasn't nice but I think the council is more concerned about shutting rivals to its own car parks so it doesn't lose money."

The Mercury contacted consultants Roger Tym and Partners, acting for UK Parking, for comment but nobody responded.

Developer Filbert Ltd's application to build homes on the site is still being considered by the council."

So with the residents only parking going ahead around Narborough road, where is everybody going to park now?

On match-days, I wish that I live nearby so that I can walk to the stadium.

Going out of the ground car park and the roads nearby is horrendous in terms of 'waiting time'.

I always find it entertaining to walk along Filbert Street after the game watching the stewards prevent anyone from leaving either this car park or the main one next to it despite the surrounding roads being completely clear. You can bank on some irate away fans laying into the stewards so on this basis alone, I'll be sad to see that car park go.

This is one of the problems of the slightly silly location of the King Power :/

I have no idea why the club doesn't offer more park and ride systems and reasonable prices. I remember going with my grandad around 8-10 years ago, and a little bus would come and pick us up! That is, until it got ridiculously expensive.

I'm only 19, and talking about 10 year agos makes me feel old. Jesus.

Leicester's parking is awful as it is. This will make it even worse.

Whenever I go in with Dad we generally park on Haddenham Road and that's only because we have a mate who lives there, that's a good mile walk although it's a bit of a farce - we end up having to double-back on ourselves.

Closed down because of complaints of noise and dust? So the solution is to build 77 terraced homes on it instead of requesting the tarmac to be resurfaced, sounds like a typical council decision

That's a pain, it's where I used to park.

Even more reason to use my new motorbike for next years games.

So you're waiting to see if we're top by christmas before you go and watch a match then? :whistle:  :ph34r:

I always find it entertaining to walk along Filbert Street after the game watching the stewards prevent anyone from leaving either this car park or the main one next to it despite the surrounding roads being completely clear. You can bank on some irate away fans laying into the stewards so on this basis alone, I'll be sad to see that car park go.

Stewards clearly have no jurisdiction over public roads so a firm "sod off" should always have done the trick

Who parks that close to the ground anyway? You must be able to walk about three miles in time it takes to get out of the traffic from there. Just park further away and walk it you fat cvnts.

lol

This is disgusting, I don't understand why the council will not leave a disgusting eyesore of a dirt car-park, that brings down the entire area, so people have somewhere a bit closer to park 20 times a year for 2 hours. These residents sound like complete moaning whiners, it's not like they live there all year.

This is one of the problems of the slightly silly location of the King Power :/

I have no idea why the club doesn't offer more park and ride systems and reasonable prices. I remember going with my grandad around 8-10 years ago, and a little bus would come and pick us up! That is, until it got ridiculously expensive.

I'm only 19, and talking about 10 year agos makes me feel old. Jesus.

Coming from grantham I drive past the birstall park and ride every home game and its always empty, they could easily run a park and ride from there. Infact I really don't know why the council or the club don't

=

We have two young children and use this car park, sod knows what we will do next season.

And if anyone replies with " park and walk" you obviously do not have young children :-)

That's a pain, it's where I used to park.

Even more reason to use my new motorbike for next years games.

Park on the Electric Sports Cricket Ground, it's only £5

It is a genuine issue. If the council have made it impossible to park on nearby streets and are closing down the car park where are they proposing that people park. They can't seriously want everybody simply parking randomly elsewhere so they need a proper answer. A serious and geniune attempt to find an answer from the council is needed. 

Park on saffron lane, Simples

I park down Saffron Lane when I go.Usually go A47 which means going across town,most of it at gridlock.Tried Aylestone ,gridlock.

Now a question.Not being from Leicester and unsure of shortcuts if I went down Saffron Lane until the ring road that takes me to the M1.would that be as congested ?

Archived