Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SWFC_FAN

Jamie Vardy

I think the biggest problem for Vardy will be that international teams from the lower nations set their stall out to defend. They play deep and pack the defence and midfield. Vardy is more effective when a team is playing a more open attacking style as he has the space to run into, he doesn't have the skill or guile to unlock packed defences.

Most of his goals this season have come from a swift counter attack where the oppo has left space, same goes for most of his assists I think. If the opposition shows some intent to win, he could shine. If not, then he could look poor. I think there is more chance of Ireland coming at us, so I'd like him to get a decent amount of time in that game.

Thing is, either way Vardy is a pain in the arse for defenders. If they play a high line he can run in behind with his pace, if they sit deep I have lost track of the amount of times he has robbed the ball off a defender or pressured them into hoofing it up to our CBs so I wouldn't worry too much.

if they sit deep I have lost track of the amount of times he has robbed the ball off a defender or pressured them into hoofing it up to our CBs so I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes he will do that all day long... but a bit more is expected of you at international level. We all know what Heskey brought to teams as we saw it first hand, but he's derided by the media and England fans alike.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this as I don't go to games, did teams in the championship not sit deep against us? I'd have thought he'd have gained some experience in dealing with that in our league winning season?

This season though, you're right. It's been a completely different scenario, he's had acres of space to gallop into at times.

We as a team have struggled against people sitting deep, even in the Championship. That's why people trot out the "we always struggle against the shit teams", because invariably they are the ones sitting deep and getting men behind the ball.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this as I don't go to games, did teams in the championship not sit deep against us? I'd have thought he'd have gained some experience in dealing with that in our league winning season?

This season though, you're right. It's been a completely different scenario, he's had acres of space to gallop into at times.

In the Championship, the rhetoric that "anyone can beat anyone on the day" meant that most teams actually looked to play football against us. In the Premier League, the top teams are expected to win comfortably so many of the lower teams (not Leicester!) set up defensively, hence why teams like Chelsea rely on technical geniuses, rather than pure power

Championship is a bit more open, in my opinion, 

Yes he will do that all day long... but a bit more is expected of you at international level. We all know what Heskey brought to teams as we saw it first hand, but he's derided by the media and England fans alike.

But got over 50 caps was it and a full career pretty much at the top level.

England fans criticise Wayne Rooney and he is will become our all time top scorer.

We as a team have struggled against people sitting deep, even in the Championship. That's why people trot out the "we always struggle against the shit teams", because invariably they are the ones sitting deep and getting men behind the ball.

In the Championship, the rhetoric that "anyone can beat anyone on the day" meant that most teams actually looked to play football against us. In the Premier League, the top teams are expected to win comfortably so many of the lower teams (not Leicester!) set up defensively, hence why teams like Chelsea rely on technical geniuses, rather than pure power

Championship is a bit more open, in my opinion, 

Fair play, all I really saw of us in the championship was against the higher placed teams when we played them on Sky. 

I'm just excited to see a Leicester player represent English, this must be what it feels like as a parent to see your kid play football for someone decent.

True. But I was in Munich for that 5-1 back in 2001, and the German defence was f***ing terrified of him every time he got the ball. Michael Owen got the hat-trick, but Heskey made two of his goals and scored a lovely one of his own. I watched Heskey a lot, and I think he was an astonishingly good player who never got due credit, because a lot of what he did was quite subtle. If Vardy does what he does for City, I think he will be lauded in the media, and by the fans, because it is so in-your-face..

Archived