Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Football suicide secrets

If you haven't watched this I really suggest you do, such a good insight into something many fans struggle to get their heads round. To a footballer this is their life and despite acting tough on the pitch they do have emotion as well. It was very interesting hearing Clarke Carlisle describe how getting jeered from the stands as a young player trying his best, built up this depression that he would struggle to get over.

Now as a team that does this to many of our players I couldn't help but think of the damage we could be doing to the mental state of players such as Ben Marshall and Martyn Waghorn. Now I'm not suggesting that they are going to get depressed because of this (although they may) but how can fans not understand that jeering only has a negative effect. Some players handle it better then others, but for me the poor form of these players is largely down to this lack of confidence that our own fans have created in them. Maybe if a few of you boo boys watch this, you might take a second thought before jeering every misplaced pass, save your boo's for the forest scum, not your own.

On a separate note, very interesting seeing Lee Hendries state, didn't realise he was quite that bad, was good when he was here.

Guest MattP

Crikey if you think our lot get it bad you want to go America or Australia and see the pressure and demand for success on the players.

If you haven't watched this I really suggest you do, such a good insight into something many fans struggle to get their heads round. To a footballer this is their life and despite acting tough on the pitch they do have emotion as well. It was very interesting hearing Clarke Carlisle describe how getting jeered from the stands as a young player trying his best, built up this depression that he would struggle to get over.

Now as a team that does this to many of our players I couldn't help but think of the damage we could be doing to the mental state of players such as Ben Marshall and Martyn Waghorn. Now I'm not suggesting that they are going to get depressed because of this (although they may) but how can fans not understand that jeering only has a negative effect. Some players handle it better then others, but for me the poor form of these players is largely down to this lack of confidence that our own fans have created in them. Maybe if a few of you boo boys watch this, you might take a second thought before jeering every misplaced pass, save your boo's for the forest scum, not your own.

On a separate note, very interesting seeing Lee Hendries state, didn't realise he was quite that bad, was good when he was here.

Depressed FFS!? Try watching it from the stands!

A boot up the arse & off to the sand dunes is what I'd prescribe. 

I do argue that fans creating a negative atmosphere never helps but it shouldn't drag down performances as much as it does.

I'll probably give it a watch so I'll refrain from saying too much now - but I could certainly take the abuse idiots throw at my side for the money they're on.

Guest MattP

There is just something so sickening about a professional footballer shouting to the World "look how hard it is for me" I can't really get my head around it.

I remember watching a Little league game in the US and a 12 year old was getting abuse coming off with 500 people chanting "You just suck" at him. lol

I'll give it a watch, but I really struggle to see why I should feel sorry for someone that has had everything and chucked it away. It is up to the player to realise they have been given an amazing opportunity and to manage it properly.

I would quite happily let 1,000,000,000,000,000 people hurl abuse at me if I got to play football for a living and be making 40 odd thousand a week.

You don't hear many players moaning about it when everything is going right for them, it's only when they have pissed it all away.

Regardless of what kicks it off, depression is a serious illness and football is an industry that doesn't like to talk about it.

It's very easy dismiss the pressure the players are under from the fans, manager etc and claim you'd take it for the money they are on. However, I'm pretty sure it's a different kettle of fish once you are in that situation.

Anyway, it is irrelevant what kicks depression off. If you suffer from depression, it can be triggered by something minor or something major. The serious matter is what happens when you are suffering from depression. Most men don't like talking about it and they try to hide it, sometimes with tragic consequences.

As privileged as footballers are, they can go through some very extreme situations. Throw depression into the mix and it becomes very serious.

If football starts to open up about depression, hopefully it'll help depression shake off it's taboo status and more sufferers will open up about it.

Regardless of what kicks it off, depression is a serious illness and football is an industry that doesn't like to talk about it.

It's very easy dismiss the pressure the players are under from the fans, manager etc and claim you'd take it for the money they are on. However, I'm pretty sure it's a different kettle of fish once you are in that situation.

Anyway, it is irrelevant what kicks depression off. If you suffer from depression, it can be triggered by something minor or something major. The serious matter is what happens when you are suffering from depression. Most men don't like talking about it and they try to hide it, sometimes with tragic consequences.

As privileged as footballers are, they can go through some very extreme situations. Throw depression into the mix and it becomes very serious.

If football starts to open up about depression, hopefully it'll help depression shake off it's taboo status and more sufferers will open up about it.

This.

It really is a serious issue and doesn't get the attention it should. Perhaps because people are quiet about it and have difficulty coming out and talking about depression. Money isn't everything and just because you earn a lot in a week/month/year, doesn't mean you are immune to suffering from things like depression.

Guest MattP

Great to see the usual utter ill informed garbage about depression trotted out.  How can they complain they have everything!  Well said Ricey.  Hopefully someone will learn something.  Try watching the program maybe.

Don't think anyone is denying a footballer can go through it or it's not a tough situation.

Just that I and many others really can't be bothered to listen to people in such privledged positions moaning about it.

Give me a Gary Cooper strong silent type anyday.

Depression is a serious illness but you can't really blame fans jeering a player for causing it. Really, being a footballer is one of the best lifestyles possible but anyone can get depressed.

Great to see the usual utter ill informed garbage about depression trotted out.  How can they complain they have everything!  Well said Ricey.  Hopefully someone will learn something.  Try watching the program maybe.

I don't think anyone is saying anything of the sort . I think we  are saying that depression in footballers is fook all to do with booing from the stands.

They would be depressive in any other walk of life too.

Guest MattP

I don't think anyone is saying anything of the sort . I think we  are saying that depression in footballers is fook all to do with booing from the stands.

Spot on.

The common misconception is that people feel depressed because they've let themselves get down about something. Like they they've had a choice in the matter.

The attitude of some people in this thread is "pull yourself together, you are rich and do something for a living that millions would love to do. Get over it". Try telling that to the friends and family of Gary Speed. He had everything. A fantastic footballing career to look back on, a successful job managing his country, security financially, good reputation and plenty of friends throughout the industry, loving wife and two children. Seemingly, he had everything anyone could wish for. Yet...

I've suffered from depression. At times it's come out of nowhere, at times it's been triggered by something bad happening in my life. If I explained the events that triggered my depression, some of them might not seem like a huge deal and I'm sure people could think of a ton of situations that would be worse. It doesn't matter. Just because someone out there may, on paper, be far further up s**t creek, it doesn't mean depression isn't going to kick in and make you feel like absolute crap.

Depression is an illness. Some people have good immunity to it, others not. If you fall into the latter category, it doesn't matter if you are a rich and successful footballer, if depression strikes you need to seek help.

The common misconception is that people feel depressed because they've let themselves get down about something. Like they they've had a choice in the matter.

The attitude of some people in this thread is "pull yourself together, you are rich and do something for a living that millions would love to do. Get over it". Try telling that to the friends and family of Gary Speed. He had everything. A fantastic footballing career to look back on, a successful job managing his country, security financially, good reputation and plenty of friends throughout the industry, loving wife and two children. Seemingly, he had everything anyone could wish for. Yet...

I've suffered from depression. At times it's come out of nowhere, at times it's been triggered by something bad happening in my life. If I explained the events that triggered my depression, some of them might not seem like a huge deal and I'm sure people could think of a ton of situations that would be worse. It doesn't matter. Just because someone out there may, on paper, be far further up s**t creek, it doesn't mean depression isn't going to kick in and make you feel like absolute crap.

Depression is an illness. Some people have good immunity to it, others not. If you fall into the latter category, it doesn't matter if you are a rich and successful footballer, if depression strikes you need to seek help.

I can't argue with that to be honest.

Yes. However, getting stick and pressure from fans could trigger it, anything negative can, so it is very much to do with depression in footballers.

Yes. However, getting stick and pressure from fans could trigger it, anything negative can, so it is very much to do with depression in footballers.

So everyone's got to walk around on eggshells because one of the players maybe susceptible to depression ? .

Are we to take into consideration the all opponents state of mind too and not say or do anything that may trigger depression in one of them?

So everyone's got to walk around on eggshells because one of the players maybe susceptible to depression ? .

Are we to take into consideration the all opponents state of mind too and not say or do anything that may trigger depression in one of them?

Can you explain when you think a player in your own team deserves to be boo'd in your opinion?  I dont ever do it, so im just curious to what triggers that response? I can understand why people boo for lack of effort, as that is a choice. But in most cases it is just down to players having an off day, miss placing a few passes or shots, how can that warrant abuse? The players will already know they have not been good enough and Nigel will no doubt inform them of this after the game, but the added pressure of the players now feeling the whole crowd is against them in a situation they cant easily get out of, must be a terrible feeling. Its this feeling that can grow into depression. 

No, I'm not saying that. Fans will get on players backs, there's no avoiding that.

However the tone in the first few posts of this thread was that footballers shouldn't be effected by it, because of the money they earn etc.

I'm with Zing here. I suffer from depression and no one is saying it isn't serious or that it's not difficult, or that it can't happen to anyone.

But that's the point, essentially it's about the specific person that suffers from it. Depression will most likely be triggered or worsened by somebody's actions along the way, but some people will just get on with things, but for others things will hit them harder. You can't really blame the fans for it, they have emotions too ( a lot of them are probably depressed too). A lot of them are dickheads who don't have a clue and may be being unfair to certain players but that doesn't mean it's their fault players are depressed.

The point people are trying to make is that it isn't difficult being a footballer. They have a great lifestyle. That doesn't mean they are immune to depression, but we certainly shouldn't be making out like actually the football lifestyle causes depression. What causes depression is a person's mindset and how they percieve things.

Ben Marshall was mentioned in the OP. Now I don't know what his mental state is, but the abuse he got in that game was triggered by his own actions. If that damages his mental state then maybe he should have a bit more respect. Alternatively it could have taken him down a peg and made him a more mature, better person.

Some players get unfair abuse but others bring it on themselves. Maybe they should take a loook at themelves sometimes?

Archived