Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Football suicide secrets

For me it all boils down to money, the amount of money the earn on a WEEKLY basis is untrue. They don't suffer the same stress levels of paying bills as we do, or weekly shop. They don't have to worry about their car failing an MOT or tax/insurance. Much higher risk of depression amongst 'normal' people.

If they get depressed about losing a game, maybe they should just have a little cry in their Range Rover on the way back to their mansions.

For me it all boils down to money, the amount of money the earn on a WEEKLY basis is untrue. They don't suffer the same stress levels of paying bills as we do, or weekly shop. They don't have to worry about their car failing an MOT or tax/insurance. Much higher risk of depression amongst 'normal' people.

If they get depressed about losing a game, maybe they should just have a little cry in their Range Rover on the way back to their mansions.

Yes becuase there is no stress involved in being a professional sportsman?  Lots of different things can trigger an episode of depression - you listing a few things they dont have to worry about doesn't mean there are not a lot more.  It is a personal thing.  They might stress about playing as well as they can, they might not get on with their team mates or manager or worry about their agent.  We know sod all about it really, but lets not assume that becuase they don't have YOUR problems that they dont have others.

Loads of people call me a tosser on here ! 

Have you ever stopped to consider that posting nasty comments like that could trigger my depression ?

Be nice to me from now on  :)

No one is saying that.

It's not about how people get depressed, it's about people admitting they are and being able to talk about it.

I'm not one for all this pressure and inexperience stuff. It's a game of football at the end of the day, yeah, it probably does affect them but they've had it easy compared to times gone by (in football or not in football). But that's how times have changed.

I mean, when we were at War, people younger than 20 would be fighting for our Country, on the front line. That's pressure.

Loads of people call me a tosser on here ! 

Have you ever stopped to consider that posting nasty comments like that could trigger my depression ?

Be nice to me from now on  :)

How do you think I feel? 

Seriously though, depression can be treated but if the triggers are your career choice then perhaps it is unwise to stay in that job if it depresses you - it is a free country and they can leave football for a more fulfilling less stressful environment if they want.

If you take the money, as with all footballers and managers, you know what the gig is and you take the rough with the smooth.

I'm not one for all this pressure and inexperience stuff. It's a game of football at the end of the day, yeah, it probably does affect them but they've had it easy compared to times gone by (in football or not in football). But that's how times have changed.

I mean, when we were at War, people younger than 20 would be fighting for our Country, on the front line. That's pressure.

Interviewer: “How are you coping with the pressure?â€

Mike Bassett: “Don’t make me laugh. This isn’t pressure. My Dad raised five kids single-handed, and there’s me Mum who was bed-ridden for year and years and years with arthritis, and done a full-time job. Then he’d go out on a Saturday and score three with his head. That’s pressure. Try storming a Japanese gun placement with only three bullets in your Tommy Gun, and taking one in the chest, and going on to win the VC. That, my friend, is what you call pressure. “

Interviewer: “Is that actually what your father did?â€

Mike: “No, no, he never went to Japan, but somebody bloody did! And compared to them fellas, bloody hell, this is a walk in the park!â€

all having lots of money means is that you don't have to worry about money. you still may have to worry about cancer, other health problems, family health, family issues, relationship issues, problems with sons/daughters, general anxiety about life, how people perceive you, the future, the past, etc etc.

Guest MattP

Someone shift this to General Chat so Rincewind can work out a way for the taxpayer to help these guys.

just surprised in todays society of raised awareness on many issues that some people still think depression is a choice.. or  something you can just stop by changing your job.

its a medical condition.

I broke my leg... maybe if I change my job it will heal itself.  

no?

neither will depression.

Regardless of what kicks it off, depression is a serious illness and football is an industry that doesn't like to talk about it.

It's very easy dismiss the pressure the players are under from the fans, manager etc and claim you'd take it for the money they are on. However, I'm pretty sure it's a different kettle of fish once you are in that situation.

Anyway, it is irrelevant what kicks depression off. If you suffer from depression, it can be triggered by something minor or something major. The serious matter is what happens when you are suffering from depression. Most men don't like talking about it and they try to hide it, sometimes with tragic consequences.

As privileged as footballers are, they can go through some very extreme situations. Throw depression into the mix and it becomes very serious.

If football starts to open up about depression, hopefully it'll help depression shake off it's taboo status and more sufferers will open up about it.

I've had to sign in and everything to comment on this. Absolutely bang on.

Depression is something that is very very hard to understand if you haven't been there, which is the same as other mental health issues. Football being a "mans" game, appears to ignore real serious issues.

I suggest to those people who can't/won't/don't understand the long term effects of depression - perhaps try and use a bit of empathy. 

Regardless of them having a job that pays more the effects of depression are absolute devastating if not tackled head on.

I'm with Zing here. I suffer from depression and no one is saying it isn't serious or that it's not difficult, or that it can't happen to anyone.

But that's the point, essentially it's about the specific person that suffers from it. Depression will most likely be triggered or worsened by somebody's actions along the way, but some people will just get on with things, but for others things will hit them harder. You can't really blame the fans for it, they have emotions too ( a lot of them are probably depressed too). A lot of them are dickheads who don't have a clue and may be being unfair to certain players but that doesn't mean it's their fault players are depressed.

The point people are trying to make is that it isn't difficult being a footballer. They have a great lifestyle. That doesn't mean they are immune to depression, but we certainly shouldn't be making out like actually the football lifestyle causes depression. What causes depression is a person's mindset and how they percieve things.

Ben Marshall was mentioned in the OP. Now I don't know what his mental state is, but the abuse he got in that game was triggered by his own actions. If that damages his mental state then maybe he should have a bit more respect. Alternatively it could have taken him down a peg and made him a more mature, better person.

Some players get unfair abuse but others bring it on themselves. Maybe they should take a loook at themelves sometimes?

You make some good points.

But, footballers don't have a say in what expectation level a fan has.

Take a look at our own squad for instance. A lot of average players were bought for loads more than their real value and the knock on effect from that was that our expectation levels were off the scale.

It's natural for a male to want to be dominant. So for 20k people to boo you every week for not being good enough can't be the nicest thing in the world and money can't buy protection from that.

lol What a ****.

Which is why thousands upon thousands of young men suffered from things like post traumatic stress and depression.

Everyone seems to be forgetting we're talking about a handful of footballers suffering in comparison.

all having lots of money means is that you don't have to worry about money. you still may have to worry about cancer, other health problems, family health, family issues, relationship issues, problems with sons/daughters, general anxiety about life, how people perceive you, the future, the past, etc etc.

...not only that. With football comes "fame". Yes they're highly paid, but with a higher profile - do you not think that the pressure etc is amplified? 

Which is why thousands upon thousands of young men suffered from things like post traumatic stress and depression.

Everyone seems to be forgetting we're talking about a handful of footballers suffering in comparison.

Yeah I know. Personally, wouldn't call it a comparison but that's just my opinion. 

If you think footballers are suffering depression (or will do), because a few people get on at them (lets be honest it is a few, it certainly isn't 20k like you said above), then everyone in the World will suffer from it. There are more demanding jobs in the World and there are many more jobs which bring more pressure.

You have one of these in your back pocket. 

3095071.png

bth_troll-ba-dum-tss.jpg

I was expecting this lol

I genuinely am curious. I've never really given it any thought, I can't say I'm the happiest person or the most social, but doubt it would be linked to depression. I'll read up later.

Yes it is a serious illness and anyone suffering, footballer or not has my sympathies. I too think that on occasions many of the more extreme views regarding some of our players performances or lack of it go a bit over the top. If they read this site on occasions, no wonder some players want to top themselves. An example for me would be Wellens who, imo, has been a good servant to this club regardless of whatever wage deal may/may not have been negotiated and a very good player to boot. I'm sure he's acutely aware that at his age (young in normal mortals terms), he isn't going to improve any and the downward slope beckons yet, I always feel when he comes on, he gives of his best. If NP picks him, he tries his best, yet still cannot match the performance of his opposite number on a particular day, than thats the name of the game I suppose. Steve Walsh had the occasional off week where sometimes his passing was atrocious but we always forgave him as we always felt that he gave the preverbial 110%. Neil Lennon was magnificent for us yet he was a sufferer. The only time I believe booing etc can really be justified is when we feel that a player hasn't given of his best considering the money they are on, they owe their best efforts if not carrying an injury.

Yeah I know. Personally, wouldn't call it a comparison but that's just my opinion. 

If you think footballers are suffering depression (or will do), because a few people get on at them (lets be honest it is a few, it certainly isn't 20k like you said above), then everyone in the World will suffer from it. There are more demanding jobs in the World and there are many more jobs which bring more pressure.

You're not getting it.

Not everyone has the same mentality and these other demanding jobs don't have the publicity.

I'd bet these jobs have the same levels of depression.

Guest MattP

You have reached level 38 on the Goldberg scale.

0 - 9 Depression unlikely 21 - 35 Minor to moderate depression 10 - 17 Possibly minor depression 36 - 53 Moderate to severe depression 18 - 21 On the verge of depression 54+ Severe depression

:o

0 - 9 Depression unlikely 21 - 35 Minor to moderate depression 10 - 17 Possibly minor depression 36 - 53 Moderate to severe depression 18 - 21 On the verge of depression 54+ Severe depression

Join the club.

Join the club.

Don't worry guys I scored 62.

In all honesty, these test's can be highly inaccurate and if you do feel depressed it's strongly encouraged to see your GP for a fair assessment.

Archived