Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Football suicide secrets

i watched it. for me, any program which openly discusses depression and helps try to educate people about it, is great. as someone who's seen the real effects of the illness, education is the key. so many people are still so ignorant, simply because they don't understand the illness and it's effects.

Guest seanfox778

I know it's a long shot but does anyone know a song that was used in the programme, it was instrumental and I'm sure I've heard it on an advert or maybe a film. I remember in being on in the first 20 mins of the programme when Clarke Carlise was standing on the Loftus Road pitch I think it was when he was talking about his headed miss in a QPR playoff final.

Just as a side note, how can you actually tell if you suffer depression?

Diagnosed by a doctor. It's fookin horrible. Currently in the midst of it all now.

For me it all boils down to money, the amount of money the earn on a WEEKLY basis is untrue. They don't suffer the same stress levels of paying bills as we do, or weekly shop. They don't have to worry about their car failing an MOT or tax/insurance. Much higher risk of depression amongst 'normal' people.

If they get depressed about losing a game, maybe they should just have a little cry in their Range Rover on the way back to their mansions.

You sir are a fucking moronic cuntbubble. Depression doesn't discriminate between the wealthy and the poor - it affects anyone, from any walk of life, and being in a lower-paid job has absolutely naff all to do with the likelyhood of developing depression.

Also, from the last line I get the suspicion you think depression is a trivial matter, just feeling a bit down? It fucking well isn't, as I, and hundreds of other people can testify. 

Didn't he get done for drink driving ?

Has he ever stopped to consider the misery he may have heaped on someone?

Do we have to define him by a mistake he made, just because it's a major modern social taboo and could have cost a life?

If you've driven too fast, driven too tired, driven while on the phone, driven while having a row with the missus... It's also dangerous but we don't expect to be remembered by it. Most of my friends used to smoke in pubs or restaurants but they wouldn't be friends anymore if I kept reminding them of 'the misery' they 'may have heaped on someone'.

He was a decent footballer at one point in time. I doubt the booing ruined him and suspect being a not-especially-bright kid with more cash than he knew how to spend did have a part to play, as well as depression. But I'd rather not ignore the issue in favour of demonising him.

You sir are a ****ing moronic cuntbubble. Depression doesn't discriminate between the wealthy and the poor - it affects anyone, from any walk of life, and being in a lower-paid job has absolutely naff all to do with the likelyhood of developing depression.

Also, from the last line I get the suspicion you think depression is a trivial matter, just feeling a bit down? It ****ing well isn't, as I, and hundreds of other people can testify. 

I don't for one second consider depression a trivial matter, but there is a thread of sense in what the chap was saying: Depression isn't entirely random, it does thrive on a person with a negative outlook on life - be it after a break-up or a family loss - so a footballer failing to appreciate how lucky he is in life could well play a part. Not that this is a reason to be coldly unsympathetic.

Depression is an odd matter. Is it a state of mind, a true illness? How can you measure the level of depression realistically? What defines a depression? Are there different stages of a depression? Is "being down" already one of them? Is despair to be found at the other end of the scale? Suicidal notions as well?

Depression has become some kind of a "nice thing to have". Since it comes in so many shapes and forms and at so many different stages in life, there's just such a difficulty grasping a vague "thing" like it. Depression is some sort of an answer when you have none at all. Depression is the easy way out when faced with challenges, choices and other chores.

I feel down occasionally, too. Sometimes I think I have it hard. But in those circumstances, I start thinking about how fvcked up other people's lives are. People that live in poverty, with a disability (mental or physical), people who suffer from domestic violence or criminal activities - people who have it real bad.

Depression in my eyes is a Western luxury item, a consequence of a lot of leisure time, imaginary or real pressure, cleverness, boredom, apathy, general disorientation, too much procrastination mixed with a hint of modern science and a health care sector that jumps to rash conclusions or tries to sell you the latest placebos.

I feel for all the people who suffer from it, be it regularly or more or less in bouts. I don't want to belittle you all. However, I'd like you to put things into perspective and maybe you realize that you don't have it so bad, after all. Be more honest with yourself and don't hesitate to talk to somebody dear or close about it.  :thumbup:

Depression is an odd matter. Is it a state of mind, a true illness? How can you measure the level of depression realistically? What defines a depression? Are there different stages of a depression? Is "being down" already one of them? Is despair to be found at the other end of the scale? Suicidal notions as well?

Depression has become some kind of a "nice thing to have". Since it comes in so many shapes and forms and at so many different stages in life, there's just such a difficulty grasping a vague "thing" like it. Depression is some sort of an answer when you have none at all. Depression is the easy way out when faced with challenges, choices and other chores.

I feel down occasionally, too. Sometimes I think I have it hard. But in those circumstances, I start thinking about how fvcked up other people's lives are. People that live in poverty, with a disability (mental or physical), people who suffer from domestic violence or criminal activities - people who have it real bad.

Depression in my eyes is a Western luxury item, a consequence of a lot of leisure time, imaginary or real pressure, cleverness, boredom, apathy, general disorientation, too much procrastination mixed with a hint of modern science and a health care sector that jumps to rash conclusions or tries to sell you the latest placebos.

I feel for all the people who suffer from it, be it regularly or more or less in bouts. I don't want to belittle you all. However, I'd like you to put things into perspective and maybe you realize that you don't have it so bad, after all. Be more honest with yourself and don't hesitate to talk to somebody dear or close about it. :thumbup:

A nice thing to have? I trust you've never had the misfortune.

Can't believe what I've just read.

I feel for all the people who suffer from it, be it regularly or more or less in bouts. I don't want to belittle you all. However, I'd like you to put things into perspective and maybe you realize that you don't have it so bad, after all. Be more honest with yourself and don't hesitate to talk to somebody dear or close about it.  :thumbup:

are-you-serious-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9

A nice thing to have? I trust you've never had the misfortune.

Can't believe what I've just read.

Referring to a "depression" can be a very convenient excuse for a lot of people. Be it intentional or accidental.

Like I said, I'm not here to argue that something like a "depression" exists, I do however believe that there's a lot of misuse and abuse connected to it (mainly because we don't really understand yet what "it" really is) and that some people - not everybody - are doing and using this for rather selfish reasons.

I would like to ask you this: Do you think "depression" has always been around or is it a byproduct of our modern, advanced society?

Referring to a "depression" can be a very convenient excuse for a lot of people. Be it intentional or accidental.

Like I said, I'm not here to argue that something like a "depression" exists, I do however believe that there's a lot of misuse and abuse connected to it (mainly because we don't really understand yet what "it" really is) and that some people - not everybody - are doing and using this for rather selfish reasons.

I would like to ask you this: Do you think "depression" has always been around or is it a byproduct of our modern, advanced society?

Well I've not "always been around" so I couldn't give you a definitive answer in all fairness.

It is on the verge of being a trendy pandemic. The next ADHD, the next OCD. Unfortunately that's what happens when you popularize a mental health issue and when there's a lot of money in eagerly prescribing medication.

That's not to say it isn't a problem and it's certainly better for it to be vogue to be depressed than taboo but at the same time Alex raises some fair questions. I don't think he intends to be dismissive.

To be honest, it's only since being prescribed flouxetine and citalopram that I've noticed as many other users as I have. I'm currently "clean" but I know a staggering number of people who have or have had prescriptions for an SSRI or other.

It is on the verge of being a trendy pandemic. The next ADHD, the next OCD. Unfortunately that's what happens when you popularize a mental health issue and when there's a lot of money in eagerly prescribing medication.

That's not to say it isn't a problem and it's certainly better for it to be vogue to be depressed than taboo but at the same time Alex raises some fair questions. I don't think he intends to be dismissive.

To be honest, it's only since being prescribed flouxetine and citalopram that I've noticed as many other users as I have. I'm currently "clean" but I know a staggering number of people who have or have had prescriptions for an SSRI or other.

Exactly. Thanks, Rich.  :thumbup:

To Bert, The Doc, Kitch and all others on here who share the same inconvenient condition: Chin up. You have my sympathies.

Maybe Ricey can act as a counsellor or pass on how he dealt with it all and possibly found out of it...? (And no, I'm not looking for a fight here...!!  :D )

When they self-diagnose themselves, it doesn't mean their self-diagnosis is right.

The belittling of depression, like I've seen in this thread, is what makes it such a hard subject to bring up for sufferers of it. 

It has never been 'trendy' to have a mental illness. And it is definitely not a 'nice thing to have', although MC Prussian, I don't think you meant offence when you put it like that!

But I do think it's a bit inconsiderate to just brush it off and say 'maybe you don't have it so bad'. How can it not be so bad when it can sometimes lead to suicide? It is an incredibly difficult illness to recover from. And depending on the person and how severe it can affect you once, it can always come back to strike again. And that's what scary about it. It can hit at any time. 

Diagnosed by a doctor. It's fookin horrible. Currently in the midst of it all now.

Feel for you mate. I suffered depression for around a year back in 2010. I'd never suffered anything like it before but the death of a close friend triggered a series of events that culminated in me being unable to get out of bed in the morning. I'd always been fairly confident but I felt worthless. I went from a couple of days off work for over 5 years to being there just 50% of the time.

I'd always been an upbeat kind of a bloke and didn't really understand depression until it hit me. I'd be out shopping with the wife and I'd be fighting back tears and I didn't really know why. When I was diagnosed I really didn't want to take anti-depressants for fear of relying on them too much and so I sought other solutions. People might well take the piss but I eventually tried hypnotherapy and it worked brilliantly - you have to be prepared to look a bit of a knob in front of the therapist but it forces you to deal with the route of your troubles and overcome them rather than just dulling your feelings.

I feel stronger than I did before the depression and much more capable of dealing with set-backs. I recommend you give it a try mate.

Yeah?

So why come out with this??

"Not seen it, but it'll be portrayed in the light that they want to us to see it in."

So often we see people dismiss footballers as human beings simply because of what they earn. At the end of the day they are normal ordinary people who have a job more demanding that most, as at the end of the day it is a 24/7 job. Just because they earn an obscene amount of money compared to the rest of society does not mean they should be treated any differently. As far as i am concerned there is clearly an issue in football with mental health problems. Whether it is a footballer or a stereotypical 9-5 office worker who is suffering from these illnesses the treatment they are entitled to should be the same.

Until more famous people who suffer from these illnesses are given the treatment they deserve, how can we expect the stigma attached to mental health issues to disappear?

Archived