Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Football suicide secrets

Yeah?

So why come out with this??

"Not seen it, but it'll be portrayed in the light that they want to us to see it in."

So often we see people dismiss footballers as human beings simply because of what they earn. At the end of the day they are normal ordinary people who have a job more demanding that most, as at the end of the day it is a 24/7 job. Just because they earn an obscene amount of money compared to the rest of society does not mean they should be treated any differently. As far as i am concerned there is clearly an issue in football with mental health problems. Whether it is a footballer or a stereotypical 9-5 office worker who is suffering from these illnesses the treatment they are entitled to should be the same.

Until more famous people who suffer from these illnesses are given the treatment they deserve, how can we expect the stigma attached to mental health issues to disappear?

Agreed. It's an unfortunate state of affairs when a mental illness has to be relied on a famous person being on the receiving end of it for it to get the attention it needs.

Regardless of what kicks it off, depression is a serious illness and football is an industry that doesn't like to talk about it.

It's very easy dismiss the pressure the players are under from the fans, manager etc and claim you'd take it for the money they are on. However, I'm pretty sure it's a different kettle of fish once you are in that situation.

Anyway, it is irrelevant what kicks depression off. If you suffer from depression, it can be triggered by something minor or something major. The serious matter is what happens when you are suffering from depression. Most men don't like talking about it and they try to hide it, sometimes with tragic consequences.

As privileged as footballers are, they can go through some very extreme situations. Throw depression into the mix and it becomes very serious.

If football starts to open up about depression, hopefully it'll help depression shake off it's taboo status and more sufferers will open up about it.

Good post. Very good friend of mine is an ex top player. He attempted suicide about a month after his final pro contract ran out. Took all of us completely by surprise. No obvious signs. Hidden behind typical changing-room humour and banter. These guys may have much, in terms of money, but that is no protector against depression. Going from adulation one day to a mundane job the next won't get them any sympathy from some people, but it is a tough journey and, clearly, many can't handle it, Don't care whether their bank balance reads zero or millions - they're still someone's child and deserve help and understanding.

I am with Ricey and the others in disbelief about certain comments made and the attitudes shown towards depression

Depression can vary like all illnesses, to some people colds are just a blocked nose, to others it can make your head feel like its going to explode.

It is the same with depression, some can just take life on the chin and laugh things off, others it consumes their whole being for that period of time. Even during moments when you should be at your happiest, like holding your children knowing that you made them, but all you're thinking about is that you're a failure as a dad as you're not working so its not you providing for them.

To play devils advocate however for a second, the comment about it being a 'trendy' illness, I don't agree with that but I have seen certain people I know use depression and mental illness as excuses for being lazy and to get attention, this is a massive minority of people though and should not sway the need of the those who require it.

It does seem to have become trendy to have a mental illness, i know no end of people who've self-diagnosed themselves with things like OCD and Bipolar Disorder.

Bipolar is completely and utterly different, fortunately only silly teenage girls tend to diagnose themselves with it. Your GP won't even diagnose you as bipolar, it usually takes years of evaluation and ending up on some very powerful pharmaceuticals.

Guest ttfn

Diagnosed by a doctor. It's fookin horrible. Currently in the midst of it all now.

Best of luck with it. It does and will get better.

Guest ttfn

It does seem to have become trendy to have a mental illness, i know no end of people who've self-diagnosed themselves with things like OCD and Bipolar Disorder.

Fundamentally this comes down to a complete misunderstanding of what OCD, Bipolar and Depression are.

Speaking as somebody with diagnosed OCD (not that I should really have to clarify that), there is little more frustrating than people describing themselves as "so OCD" because they like the house tidy or similar.

Likewise, people talking about being "depressed" when they are simply not feeling great is similarly frustrating. I suffered with a thankfully short period of depression (2-3 months) brought on by my OCD last year and after getting treatment I'm now starting to get through it.

Enough about these conditions is out there in print and on the Internet, but there remains almost universal ignorance. Anything which helps to raise awareness of anything to do with mental health is good.

There is just something so sickening about a professional footballer shouting to the World "look how hard it is for me" I can't really get my head around it.

I remember watching a Little league game in the US and a 12 year old was getting abuse coming off with 500 people chanting "You just suck" at him. lol

The kid was Korean.

I'd love to have 500 people chanting my name. :ph34r:

There are some right cvnts on this forum, people are sick and the best you can do is belittle them or take the piss.

Those that dont suffer from physical or mental illness, instead of laughing at, denigrating or deliberately provoking those that suffer, why not just be nice, or shut the fvck up.

Everyone has mental challenges.

A lot of modern Footballers need a perspective reality check, because the 10-15 years of having a laugh and getting paid a fortune should be seen as just that, a period of their life rather than the rest of their life.

It's a privilege, not a right or a life term of jollys and adulation.

And do I feel sorry for people like Lee Hendrie who over borrowed based on a peak in their career that they could not sustain?

No more than a call centre worker who fails to meet their targets, gets sacked and ends up on the dole and cant afford their mortgage.

It's real life, something most Footballers don't taste until their playing career is over.

A lot of you have changed my thoughts really and fair play, my comments were premature and pretty immature. I'll take what I said back.

But even so I maintain people like Hendrie will struggle anywhere. It's a real shame, he needs proper treatment.

I'm actually a bit concerned about my test results, I know it's just an online test but 2 marks off "moderate to severe"? I'm genuinely considering the doctors.

Alot of people seem to think depression = getting in debt/ having a shit job.

As someone diagnosed with severe depression I can tell you that both of those factors are hugely aggravating to the illness, although not the root cause.

This is a real eyeopening thread and has brought up several potential conclusions.90% of members of this forum and LCFC fans are depressed.If we all supported Man U we would probably be fine.

Sympathy to those who are facing some health issues but its life and we just have to deal with it in some way. sadly we all have to get up ,go to work,deal with the debts,unfaithful wife,divorce,loss of home ,loss of job,car failed its MOT,six months out of work,son arrested,charged ,jailed,mum dying of cancer,good friend blew his head off with a shotgun,,house being sold,not seeing lovely daughter.bad stuff happens all the time to loads of people from all walks of life.Im going to see the lad in Doncaster prison on Friday and start a new job(1 year contract)on Monday,just boxing up all the stuff at home and then Im going to get some tickets for the Monaco match and a season ticket for the basketball.

Come on lads lets push on!

This is a real eyeopening thread and has brought up several potential conclusions.90% of members of this forum and LCFC fans are depressed.If we all supported Man U we would probably be fine.

Sympathy to those who are facing some health issues but its life and we just have to deal with it in some way. sadly we all have to get up ,go to work,deal with the debts,unfaithful wife,divorce,loss of home ,loss of job,car failed its MOT,six months out of work,son arrested,charged ,jailed,mum dying of cancer,good friend blew his head off with a shotgun,,house being sold,not seeing lovely daughter.bad stuff happens all the time to loads of people from all walks of life.Im going to see the lad in Doncaster prison on Friday and start a new job(1 year contract)on Monday,just boxing up all the stuff at home and then Im going to get some tickets for the Monaco match and a season ticket for the basketball.

Come on lads lets push on!

The difference being you are obviously a guy who takes it in his stride, whereas a guy who suffered from depression would have taken the very sad route of your good friend.

I primarily look on the bright side of life,however I fully understand the struggles that depression can bring to people. All I can say is those that are suffering reach out for support and professional help and life will improve. On the lighter side a lot will say that following our great club is not condusive to that battle but we are Leicester and we're made of tough stuff :)

Just as an aside, I looked at the depression test questions via the link on page one of this thread. It would be very hard to be feeling 'a bit down' and not be classed as depressed according to that test.

So if you accept that feeling a bit down and being clinically depressed are different things, then presumably you must think that the test is b******s.

For my part, I'm sure that they are different things. But the fact that the aforementioned test is clearly b******s and yet so many of you give it credibility is an indication that depression - a very specific neurophysiological condition - is over-diagnosed.

And it's not a healthy thing to go thinking that every turn in your mood is a medical condition. Many doctors feel that poor spellers are frequently misdiagnosed as dyslexic, that badly behaved kids are misdiagnosed as ADHD. Similarly depression is over-diagnosed because, in a literal sense, if you're feeling low you are depressed - by its dictionary definition.

But as a psychological condition it's something quite apart. And this thread reminds me that many people who think they are clinically depressed are really just people who are keen to accept that feeling low has a medical name for it.

And the symptoms, or those presented in DSM-IV, don't help. The vast majority of genuinely happy people have episodes of sleeplessness, ripples of guilt and losses of concentration. Most people have considered that, in the unlikely event that they'd want to top themselves, they'd probably prefer a shotgun to the face than cramming their penis into the mains. We all wake up in the night, lose interest in things and lose or gain a little weight according to the seasons. But if your interpretation of these things is that you're mentally ill, as opposed to a normal human being, then you lose track of the fact that depression is actually a complex and unique neurological condition.

Now that's not to say you shouldn't get sympathy just for feeling low; not even that you aren't, in a literal sense, depressed. But depression is without doubt massively misdiagnosed. And that applies to footballers, who spend far more time than most people at the doctor's, more than it does to us.

Everyone has mental challenges.

A lot of modern Footballers need a perspective reality check, because the 10-15 years of having a laugh and getting paid a fortune should be seen as just that, a period of their life rather than the rest of their life.

It's a privilege, not a right or a life term of jollys and adulation.

And do I feel sorry for people like Lee Hendrie who over borrowed based on a peak in their career that they could not sustain?

No more than a call centre worker who fails to meet their targets, gets sacked and ends up on the dole and cant afford their mortgage.

It's real life, something most Footballers don't taste until their playing career is over.

Totally agree.

Just as an aside, I looked at the depression test questions via the link on page one of this thread. It would be very hard to be feeling 'a bit down' and not be classed as depressed according to that test.

So if you accept that feeling a bit down and being clinically depressed are different things, then presumably you must think that the test is b******s.

For my part, I'm sure that they are different things. But the fact that the aforementioned test is clearly b******s and yet so many of you give it credibility is an indication that depression - a very specific neurophysiological condition - is over-diagnosed.

And it's not a healthy thing to go thinking that every turn in your mood is a medical condition. Many doctors feel that poor spellers are frequently misdiagnosed as dyslexic, that badly behaved kids are misdiagnosed as ADHD. Similarly depression is over-diagnosed because, in a literal sense, if you're feeling low you are depressed - by its dictionary definition.

But as a psychological condition it's something quite apart. And this thread reminds me that many people who think they are clinically depressed are really just people who are keen to accept that feeling low has a medical name for it.

And the symptoms, or those presented in DSM-IV, don't help. The vast majority of genuinely happy people have episodes of sleeplessness, ripples of guilt and losses of concentration. Most people have considered that, in the unlikely event that they'd want to top themselves, they'd probably prefer a shotgun to the face than cramming their penis into the mains. We all wake up in the night, lose interest in things and lose or gain a little weight according to the seasons. But if your interpretation of these things is that you're mentally ill, as opposed to a normal human being, then you lose track of the fact that depression is actually a complex and unique neurological condition.

Now that's not to say you shouldn't get sympathy just for feeling low; not even that you aren't, in a literal sense, depressed. But depression is without doubt massively misdiagnosed. And that applies to footballers, who spend far more time than most people at the doctor's, more than it does to us.

Some of those statements are common I must say. But the difference is when you're feeling devastatingly bad, and for more than a short period as well.

It's all very well to say you feel down, but are you so down it's disrupting your life? Are you feeling devastated and hopeless for a reason or just randomly? Episodes of sleeplessness are different to being so worried that you just cannot sleep for days on end, or sleeping all day because you don't want to see anyone or do anything.

Feeling guilty about something in particular is different to thinking you're whole life has been a waste and that you're a disappointment to everyone. Being in a bad mood, lacking conviction or being bored every now and again isn't the same as having absolutely no joy in anything or being so full of dread, self-loathing and stress that you just cannot keep attention on anything else.

So, I agree the test is not necessarily accurate. But there are still some very serious feelings in there and maybe it's the way they are worded which is the real problem. The questions aren't 'have you ever felt like this' they're more 'do you feel like this often and are they linked to your mood'.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry just because you scored high on the test. If you have had no indication that you are depressed before, you're probably ok. I'd say when you start noticing that your life is being disrupted by how you're feeling, it's time to consider it.

The point of the tests is that if you have multiple symptoms it starts to be an indication that you should see your GP and discuss it.  If you feel fine but score highly, have a chuckle and move on.  If you are worried and the test suggests a problem, goto see your GP.  They have a place, but no one is making a diagnosis off it.

As it says on the page itself:

But please note: The test result is NOT a final diagnosis! The scale cannot replace professional help. If you suspect that you might suffer from depression, you should contact your doctor as quickly as possible, no matter what test result you get. If you want to, you could print out the test and show it to your doctor. This might help him or her to assess your condition.

You have reached level 38 on the Goldberg scale.

0 - 9 Depression unlikely 21 - 35 Minor to moderate depression 10 - 17 Possibly minor depression 36 - 53 Moderate to severe depression 18 - 21 On the verge of depression 54+ Severe depression

:o

If it makes you feel any better a lot of those symptoms are also common in heavy drinkers so it could just be that lol

Archived