Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Doncaster Post Match Thread (A)

Agree with Col that 4-4-2 wasnt the way to go but I can understand why you wouldnt change it when its had a 5 match unbeaten streak. However after playing Yeovil on Tuesday, freshening it up was a pretty obvious move today and not sure why NP didnt do it as so far this season he's showed he's not afraid to use different formations. Midfield 3 would have been perfect today.

On another note, just watched the highlights an it looked like we played some nice football but people on here say we hoofed it all game??

We've picked up six points from three games played 5-3-2, four points from three playing 4-4-2. Both have seen a poor display and defeat.

I actually agree, I think we needed shaking up, but 5-3-2 hasn't magically taken us to another level.

Didn't we play 4-3-3 at Derby?

I watched the replay a short time ago - pardon my pun but it must have been "Dyer" to have been there at the ground.

Watching the replay the most glaring things were:

Poor wide play and when we did eventually work out that we should try and whip some crosses into the box they were woefully executed.

Our other wide attacking option apparently was the long throw from Moore? Never looked like getting one past Jones the whole match but in typical City consistency when we play poorly we persisted with something that wasn't working the whole game!

Midfield was poor and to be fair they had the more urgent and creative midfielders - King and Drinkwater poor overall and lacked any flair or creativity.

Onwards and upwards (we hope!)

Nothing startling to add here other than to say a very poor result on a bad day that saw Beckford and Danns both score for Bolton too! Even more disappointing with Burnley and QPR both winning, QPR with their game in hand now too of course. That's not to mention going into the international break now and possibly losing the momentum in the process. I was not there today so cannot comment on the overall game but Schmeichel's error was there for all to see and very untimely of course! I was at Yeovil in the week though and saw an uninspired performance there with wayward shooting in the main but Yeovil were so bad that it would have been a travesty not to win that one! It looked like we deserved a draw on the balance of play at Donny today though via TV means so Kasper's howler apart, it was not all bad.

Two defeats on the bounce at Keepmoat for us too so not a happy hunting ground perhaps, not since we last won there in 2009-10 but the defeat should never have happened. The top two is still easily attainable and I think Burnley will fade in time after this purple patch they're presently enoying but for me definitely shades of last season starting to creep in all over again now at this stage with such unexpected defeats as today's being what has plagued our last two seasons under Big Nige, spell two.

I've always said he ain't that good, certainly not the best keeper in the division and I didn't think we was last season either. Not just because of today's match, it must be tough as a goalkeeper because their errors get highlighted.

But I've always said if he was any good, he would have been a top flight goalkeeper by the age of 26/27 and not have played for Leeds, Leicester and Notts County as a regular goalkeeper.

It must be tough because of his name. I think people will always make comparisons because of that.

Trouble is we have no decent competition, so Kasper will start by default.

Well, that's probably because you know sweet FA about goalkeeping. Kasper is easily the best keeper outside of the prem: as a shot-stopper he is second to none, distribution isn't too bad (he's putting them into good areas, we just have absolutely no aerial presence) - only issue is command in the air.

I've said it before, this could work but NP hasn't tactically realised how to execute it.

Before, our centre backs weren't good enough ball players, however Wasyl seems very useful with it at his feet and a Was - Morgan - Moore back 3 looks solid. 

Secondly, if we play King + Drinky + James/Hammond, we may as well not bother. It must be 2 of the 4 + Knockaert! Simple as that.

Something like:

Schmeichel

Was - Morgan - Moore

RDL -----------------------------Konch/Schlupp

Drinkwater  King/James

Knockaert

Vardy Wood

Terrible, terrible call - that midfield would stand no chance with any remotely physical side.

I think today just shows our weakness which has been present since the departure of Izzet.

We have no creativity or flair in central midfield, none whatsoever.

This is why i was constantly suggesting us trying to sign lee tomlin over the summer, or at least someone of a similar mould.

Sides away from home know that our only threat will come from the width we have, and therefore it is far too easy for them to narrow the pitch. I wouldn't suggest playing knocky there either, unless we play with just the one striker.

Today i would like to have seen us line up with something like...

...............................................kasper

.moore.................was.................................wes......................konch

..............hammond................................................james

de laet..................................knocky....................................dyer

............................................vardy

Anyone praising Doncaster's display today has low standards. They were woeful, absolutely appalling going forward.

The saddest thing is despite this, we absolutely played it into their hands.

Could not believe we spent the whole game hoofing the ball. We don't have a single striker at the club who is good in the air (GTF untested), not one of them has the ability to bring the ball down and release it, and not one of them wins it regularly, so why the hell we hoofed it all game to probably the tallest defender I've ever seen I'll never know. We probably wouldn't have even scored if we were still playing now. Jones' head might've fell off by now but he'd probably still beat Nugent and Vardy in the air.

Midfield not one bit good enough. Knockaert being the only bright spark. King often plays the sensible ball but still remains incapable of really taking control of a game and Drinkwater was poor. Dyer was utterly hopeless.

The defence, to their credit, were very decent today. The back four have no reason to be ashamed other than constantly playing it to Jones' head rather than through the middle. I'd argue that we should've brought Hammond or James on for Dyer and had Knockaert playing between the midfield three and the forward pair, 4-3-1-2. Far more chance of opening up Doncaster than hoofing it.

I'd have snapped your hand off for this first eleven games but today was a horrific display and I'll pray it's a blip, because we'll be straight out of the top six if that becomes a regularity.

I think today just shows our weakness which has been present since the departure of Izzet.

We have no creativity or flair in central midfield, none whatsoever.

This is why i was constantly suggesting us trying to sign lee tomlin over the summer, or at least someone of a similar mould.

Sides away from home know that our only threat will come from the width we have, and therefore it is far too easy for them to narrow the pitch. I wouldn't suggest playing knocky there either, unless we play with just the one striker.

Today i would like to have seen us line up with something like...

...............................................kasper

.moore.................was.................................wes......................konch

..............hammond................................................james

de laet..................................knocky....................................dyer

............................................vardy

I'm actually liking that as a team. Arguably lacking in goals but playing together in that formation, it may completely change the results.

Some dude slagging off Kasper on RL after the game...

get a grip buddy.

He's our best GK we've had in years...perhaps look abit up front where our strikers cant hit a barn door from outside the pen area(Good job we can score pens...as long as it aint in play off semis!!!)

Im sure even the great Kasper Snr made a few howlers himself!

""I set the minimum target of atleast 4 points for Yeovil and Doncaster - albeit 4 points being fairly reasonable imo, I knew we'd lose to one of them.""

Huh!! How's that work then? When did the league go to 4 points for a win!?

At game yesterday and echo the points made by the reasoned critiquers! There were too many players off the boil offensively yesterday, the pace and slick passing was substituted by ball out wide and floaty crap crosses into their box where the lumbering beast just gobbled them up! Kasper made a howler yes but when the vast majority of our team are below par these results can happen. Kneejerk reactions and hindsight are common place on here, however our start to the season is still very good and how we react,on the field, to this defeat is surely the most important thing?

I've always said he ain't that good, certainly not the best keeper in the division and I didn't think we was last season either. Not just because of today's match, it must be tough as a goalkeeper because their errors get highlighted.

But I've always said if he was any good, he would have been a top flight goalkeeper by the age of 26/27 and not have played for Leeds, Leicester and Notts County as a regular goalkeeper.

It must be tough because of his name. I think people will always make comparisons because of that.

Trouble is we have no decent competition, so Kasper will start by default.

Do you realise he's an international goalkeeper?

Do you realise he's an international goalkeeper?

Yes.

I'm not saying he's a bad goalkeeper at all. You know, he makes some decent saves for us, but there is no doubt we should have got at least a point yesterday and three at Blackpool.

I'm not blaming Kasper at all. As a goalkeeper, you're mistakes get easily highlighted. Nobody turns around and says 'oh King didn't challenge which led to a chance', or, 'Vardy misses a chance'. It's the same, but if you're a goalkeeper you're an easier target.

Not come on here to gloat, despite what some will think. I did watch the second half on a stream and thought that we looked a bit clueless going forward. Knocky was running into trouble, King was anonymous as for much of the half was DD. Lloyd was taken off for generally looking tired and lost and the front two were huffing and puffing. However, by far the daftest thing I saw was Kasper wellying the ball as far as he could at every opportunity despite neither Reg Vardy or ted Nugent being much taller than average.....against a strapping pair of centre backs and what looked like a physical team.......

'Why didn't we try to play football rather than take them on at hoofball' would be my question to Nige?

Why on earth do we persist with moore taking a long throw, ive not seen one cause danger this year, they dont cause panic at all, they just float nicely in the air and are far to easy for the defence to deal with and just clear, much better just to throw to feet and pass around

• 2 weeks later...

Archived