Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Doncaster Post Match Thread (A)

I've always said he ain't that good, certainly not the best keeper in the division and I didn't think we was last season either. Not just because of today's match, it must be tough as a goalkeeper because their errors get highlighted.

But I've always said if he was any good, he would have been a top flight goalkeeper by the age of 26/27 and not have played for Leeds, Leicester and Notts County as a regular goalkeeper.

It must be tough because of his name. I think people will always make comparisons because of that.

Trouble is we have no decent competition, so Kasper will start by default.

Doesn't always work like that though does it? Lambert didn't play in the Prem until last season and now he's getting England call ups at 31.

A keeper can also go on a lot longer than an outfield player too. You won't find much better than Kasper in this division. People always bring up the distribution thing but I've seen him play the odd blinder of a pass which turns defense into attack and is a great asset.

If we're having to resort to moaning about Kasper then we're doing alright.

Bad day at the office so let's not get carried away. Only Knockaert had a game where he showed sufficient desire. A couple of points which I feel important

• sometimes whilst understanding the frustration I fail to see the reasoning behind having a go at Nugent - it is absolute idiocy - our top scorer(for a reason not because of the penalties), senior figure on the field, a true footballing brain. He doesn't have electric pace but he has a better brain than most. So OK he didn't run round like a headless chicken today but he did his best with what he was given.
  • I understand Nige now seems content in the stands - I didn't see him in the dugout at least - but what feckin formation were we playing when Jeff Schlupp came on? It was like watching a Sunday U9 where nobody had learnt not to all chase the ball. When chasing the game we have to be smarter than that
  • Nuge and Vardy are so much better on the break and OK we were chasing the game but Donny had obviously done their homework because they got all 11 behind the ball and played as we should have done
  • it was screaming out for an extra midfielder Hammond or James( who has been very unlucky to lose his place) and Schlupp to play with forwards

Bad day all round made only palatable by a wonderful following

4-4-2 doesn't work against teams that set up for a draw against us. Doncaster played for a point today and the fact Kasper gifted them a goal meant they came away with all 3. 4-4-2 has never worked against teams that want to stifle us and stop us playing rather than playing themselves.

3-5-2 today would have won us the game today. Wasyl playing instead of Dyer and James in the midfield instead of Nugent with Knockaert pushed up front so he could have a free role would have been perfect. We would have had 3 men in midfield to cope with them packing the midfield and we still would have had width and Knocky could be anywhere and everywhere creating chances and shooting at will.

Tactically inept from Nigel/Shakey and Nugent went back to his usual self this season of being absolute shite. The volley he spooned in the box 2nd half was Sunday League level.

4-4-2 doesn't work against teams that set up for a draw against us. Doncaster played for a point today and the fact Kasper gifted them a goal meant they came away with all 3. 4-4-2 has never worked against teams that want to stifle us and stop us playing rather than playing themselves.

3-5-2 today would have won us the game today. Wasyl playing instead of Dyer and James in the midfield instead of Nugent with Knockaert pushed up front so he could have a free role would have been perfect. We would have had 3 men in midfield to cope with them packing the midfield and we still would have had width and Knocky could be anywhere and everywhere creating chances and shooting at will.

Tactically inept from Nigel/Shakey and Nugent went back to his usual self this season of being absolute shite. The volley he spooned in the box 2nd half was Sunday League level.

I thought (what now turns out to be the injury to) RDL going off might have seen us go wider and play 352 or 343 but we instead removed an admittedly grossly ineffective Dyer with Schlupp and went incredibly narrow. I can scarcely recall a shot of note second half against one of the worst defences I've seen this season. 

Kasper is not a bad keeper but there is areas in his game he needs to improve,one is commanding the box ,it's his box nobody else's for me he needs to be braver and try to catch the ball rather than punching it....his punching is so woeful at times that it puts us back under pressure,another area for me is his positioning for long range shots,he can be caught flat footed at times,and you think to yourself how's that gone in,lastly distribution he is to rash in getting the ball upfield when sometimes being patient is a better option,these are areas he can improve and I really hope he does.

Until he does I doubt he will ever make it to the top.

Bad day at the office so let's not get carried away. Only Knockaert had a game where he showed sufficient desire. A couple of points which I feel important

• sometimes whilst understanding the frustration I fail to see the reasoning behind having a go at Nugent - it is absolute idiocy - our top scorer(for a reason not because of the penalties), senior figure on the field, a true footballing brain. He doesn't have electric pace but he has a better brain than most. So OK he didn't run round like a headless chicken today but he did his best with what he was given.
  • I understand Nige now seems content in the stands - I didn't see him in the dugout at least - but what feckin formation were we playing when Jeff Schlupp came on? It was like watching a Sunday U9 where nobody had learnt not to all chase the ball. When chasing the game we have to be smarter than that
  • Nuge and Vardy are so much better on the break and OK we were chasing the game but Donny had obviously done their homework because they got all 11 behind the ball and played as we should have done
  • it was screaming out for an extra midfielder Hammond or James( who has been very unlucky to lose his place) and Schlupp to play with forwards
Bad day all round made only palatable by a wonderful following

Agree with a lot of that. I expected James to come on at half time.

Not good enough, the quality of our play was seriously lacking and our decision to punt the ball long to smaller strikers against probably the tallest CB in the league was exactly what they wanted. Now, given his totally limited ability with the ball at his feet maybe trying to outskill him on the floor might have been a better option?

It was a laughable goal really, Kasper must've thought about who to throw/ kick it out to before he caught it. Total lapse in concentration and an awful mistake. After that, they briefly threatened a couple of times but we didn't create enough ourselves. We never looked like equalising and the match petered out.

Individually, Dyer was ineffective, Drinkwater all over the place, King not involved really and the strikers given limited or inadequate service. James should've been brought on to freshen the centre midfield. Need to improve in a lot of areas based on that.

Also, Vardy's dive was ridiculous. Hope he doesn't resort to that again.

Not good enough, the quality of our play was seriously lacking and our decision to punt the ball long to smaller strikers against probably the tallest CB in the league was exactly what they wanted. Now, given his totally limited ability with the ball at his feet maybe trying to outskill him on the floor might have been a better option?

It was a laughable goal really, Kasper must've thought about who to throw/ kick it out to before he caught it. Total lapse in concentration and an awful mistake. After that, they briefly threatened a couple of times but we didn't create enough ourselves. We never looked like equalising and the match petered out.

Individually, Dyer was ineffective, Drinkwater all over the place, King not involved really and the strikers given limited or inadequate service. James should've been brought on to freshen the centre midfield. Need to improve in a lot of areas based on that.

Also, Vardy's dive was ridiculous. Hope he doesn't resort to that again.

It wasn't just once, either.  He fell like he was shot at the slightest brush all night. That's what was really embarrassing about today's performance.

Dearie me that was like watching paint dry wasn't it? every time leicester lose we always look clueless and lifeless we don't lose many games 2-3 were we've had a go at the opponents played okay but still unluckily lost. Today we certainly looked clueless, our passing and movement was so predictable. Credit to Donny they defended pretty well and sucked all the life out of us, we honestly never looked like scoring. Did we actually test Turnbull? 

In the last two games we simply haven't created much, why? because we haven't got a goal scoring striker & we've only got two wingers to choose from. I'm not going to get too downhearted about this because this is only our second loss of the season but we shouldn't be losing to teams near the bottom. This loss is signs of whats to come, mark my words! need to look in this loan window to players are needed, we've already sadly missed out on both Sharp and Fryatt and them type of players would have made the difference today plus that extra option on the wing.

Just got in from the Stamford piss up.

Today, unfortunately, demonstrates the limitations of Nige.

I just KNEW he was gonna stick with 4-4-2 and the same side. As I said before the game, Donny aren't a bad side. It needed some tactical and personnel changes to come away with a result today.

Bolster the midfield, attempt to dominate that area and we could have had a chance.

Again, a side with King and Drinky in the centre have gone away from home.... And lost.

Anyone who simply wants to dismiss this (and on this forum there will many) will also ignore the fact that success or failure this season will be based upon our AWAY results. At home, we will be fine. I thought Pearson had learnt from last season that going away with a flat 4-4-2 usually results in us getting turned over. Especially when fans favourite King is in the middle.

This won't be a popular view, but it's the right one.

We MUST get some tactical flexibility away from home and start dominating the middle of the park.

I just KNEW he was gonna stick with 4-4-2 and the same side. As I said before the game, Donny aren't a bad side. It needed some tactical and personnel changes to come away with a result today.

Bolster the midfield, attempt to dominate that area and we could have had a chance.

Again, a side with King and Drinky in the centre have gone away from home.... And lost.

Anyone who simply wants to dismiss this (and on this forum there will many) will also ignore the fact that success or failure this season will be based upon our AWAY results. At home, we will be fine. I thought Pearson had learnt from last season that going away with a flat 4-4-2 usually results in us getting turned over. Especially when fans favourite King is in the middle.

We MUST get some tactical flexibility away from home and start dominating the middle of the park.

Doncaster were awful (we were worse). They are a bad side, with extremely limited defenders and one decent winger from what I saw.

Speaking of the 4-4-2 i couldn't believe he didn't attempt to change it when we we're 0-1 with 20 minutes to go. for the last twenty minutes i'd have gone for

Kasper

Morgan

Moore

Wasilewski

De Laet

King

Drinkwater

Hammonds

Knockaert

Taylor-Fletcher

Nugent

Taking off: Dyer, Konchesky & Vardy.

Haven't we got 10 points from 6 away games this season? If we keep that up we'll get promoted I'd have thought.

Not saying it renders your comment irrelevant, I just don't think it's a big deal.

Haven't we got 10 points from 6 away games this season? If we keep that up we'll get promoted I'd have thought.

Not saying it renders your comment irrelevant, I just don't think it's a big deal.

1. 10 points from 18 is ok, but that's it (compare that to QPR's)

2. Weren't many of those points based upon 5-3-2 away from home?

Why did Pearson choose to revert back to type today?

Anyway, there's no point discussing it with you, you'll always find some positive excuse when it comes to Pearson. So much so it becomes incredibly fookin boring.

I'm sticking with my original point. Today, as I said before the game, I'd have shaken things up.

Anyway, there's no point discussing it with you, you'll always find some positive excuse when it comes to Pearson. So much so it becomes incredibly fookin boring.

I'm sticking with my original point. Today, as I said before the game, I'd have shaken things up.

If we played 3-5-2/5-3-2 today we would have won in my eyes. 

We've picked up six points from three games played 5-3-2, four points from three playing 4-4-2. Both have seen a poor display and defeat.

I actually agree, I think we needed shaking up, but 5-3-2 hasn't magically taken us to another level.

Frustrated and very wound up by a silly mistake.

I set the minimum target of atleast 4 points for Yeovil and Doncaster - albeit 4 points being fairly reasonable imo, I knew we'd lose to one of them.

Thing is i'm annoyed about how it happened, what a stupid, silly mistake :banghead:

Kasper needs to sort himself out, he is good, on his day a game winner for us (Or game saver should I say) but some of his stupid mistakes need to be erradicated, he also needs to do kicking practice solid during the international break (Although as i'm writing this I realise he'll probably be off with Denmark during the break so can't do and work with LCFC on it)

Vardy needs to grow his hair again - Since he had a cut he's gone downhill having proved me wrong, I fear he's taking a step back given what i've seen from 2 of his last 3 matches (Can't really comment on how he played v Yeovil) but without slagging him off he has been poor (As have the rest of the team) v Barnsley and today v Doncaster, sort it quick Vardy, that goes for Nugent and pretty much the whole of the team.

I'm singling players out which isn't fair as the whole team need to take a look at themselves, they were all bad today.

so its OK for kasper to let the odd one in if he makes a few decent saves? Not the way it is ask Joe hart.

Wouldn't have won the match for sure but maybe a point few stupid moments last season as well needs to stay calm and focused.

You mean Joe Hart who's a couple of bad mistakes recently but kept his place because he, despite the freak mistakes, is one of the best keepers in England. What's your point we should keep faith with Kasper, like City did with Hart? Because a couple of mistakes don't make you a bad keeper? In which case I agree.

I agree with most of this post and I think we certainly need more tactical flexibility. But we weren't turned over today. 

Just because a game is away from home, doesn't mean we have to automatically change our set up/formation/tactics.

We didn't lose today because we got overran in midfield, due to a 4-4-2 set up. It's because we didn't execute our A game well enough. That is, we didn't play it on the ground, get behind them or break them down effectively enough. I don't that was because we were 4-4-2, I think it's because too many players we just bad, and we played to our weaknesses by playing hoofball for 60+mins. 

It's the power of hindsight isn't it? We go there today, play 4-4-2 unchanged side, and if everyone executes our A game well enough, then everyone says "What brave selections and performances from NP and LCFC today. They played like the home side!"

What we've got to do is not panic and revert to this weird hoofball, longball, hare em scare em, desperate, rushed style which we played for most of the extended bad run last season, and certainly for 60+mins today. In the Birmingham game we won because we kept up our A game - last season we would have lost because we would have panicked and reverted to hoofing it. 

I agree that it was obvious that we weren't going to be able to achieve our A game by around 50-60 mins played and we should have changed accordingly (I.e put on James/Hammond, go 4-3-3), but I don't think it's necessarily correct to do that before the game.  

Chill out. We are top 6. One bad performance and we lost because of it! It happens, move on, rest the players.

The more we make of this the more it'll hinder us. Pick apart the performance by all means but Pearson has been tactically spot on so far. He will evaluate that and sort it out for the return after internationals.

Silly error from kasper but it happens. Move on keep our heads high and look forward to next game :-)

If we played 3-5-2/5-3-2 today we would have won in my eyes. 

I've said it before, this could work but NP hasn't tactically realised how to execute it.

Before, our centre backs weren't good enough ball players, however Wasyl seems very useful with it at his feet and a Was - Morgan - Moore back 3 looks solid. 

Secondly, if we play King + Drinky + James/Hammond, we may as well not bother. It must be 2 of the 4 + Knockaert! Simple as that.

Something like:

Schmeichel

Was - Morgan - Moore

RDL -----------------------------Konch/Schlupp

Drinkwater  King/James

Knockaert

Vardy Wood

Archived