Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Jeff schlupp - would like opinions

I would loan Schlupp now. He's short on confidence at the moment and it's plain obvious that he needs to play first team football. As he isn't getting that here, it would make sense to loan him out to a lower end Championship or a decent League 1 club and hopefully he'll come back with more optimism.

I like the lad, But i'm not so sure he is as good as we seem to hope,

I hope he has a brilliant future here, but from what i've seen of him, and his inconsistency, I cannot see him being given a chance....

Is he the new waghorn?

What are your thoughts on him? I've watched him numerous times, and he shows this glimmer of brilliance that could see him merit a first team place, but then he will do something stupid and lose possession, with something really unnecessary.

Do we overrate him?

His pace is scary, I wouldnt like to see him upfront I'm not sure he is a natural finisher, but would like to see him slowly replace dyer on the left wing (Hopefully he wont mentor him in the crossing department)

Would absolutely hate to see him carry on as he currently is and spend ANOTHER year on the fringes without a run in the team to prove if he is worth or not.

Do you all think he is the future premiership player he is talked up to be?

Where is his best position?

Just wanted some opinions  :scarf:

The new Waghorn? Now I know Waggy divides opinions but at least he's scored a fair amount of goals. It's a bit of an insult to Waghorn that!

Schlupp, if he's to have any kind of striking career needs to be breaking into our side in that position immediately.

Personally I've never rated him and I've never seen anything to understand why some fans like him so much.

Fair enough.. but we have been wanting that for a long while, one good strike does not write off a bagful of hot and cold performances, more cold than hot I fear,

I really think if he gets his head down and get a nice run, he can have a good career here!

It was nearly one good strike into his own goal though.

Fortunately like people have said his shooting is pretty woefull so thankfully it went wide.

Schlupp is the slowest fast guy I know!

Pace to burn, only uses it when he has messed up at LB and has to chase back.

Never runs with the ball, first touch is awful and his right foot, well he hasn't got one!

Wanted him to do well but isn't going to happen.

Got bags of ability and the physicality but the big issue is that he doesn't have the selfishness/instinct/confidence to be an out and out goal scorer at the moment. He'll only get that through a run in the team as a striker which isn't likely to happen for a while. Don't get the love-in with the idea of him being a left back. Nothing more than makeshift there.

Could be another case of a wasted talent sadly.

I like Jeff, last season when he got a little run in the side, he impressed me, and he showed that he was capable of hitting the net.

Since then he hasn't really got a chance, and a good run again in the side in his natural position, it's been left-back or subs bench for him. He hasn't really featured much this season, only for a couple of minutes with substitute appearances, and it's not enough time really to make a difference in a game, same applies to Wood & Hammond in particular when Pearson has brought them on this season, gives them about 10 minutes, and they haven't really pulled up any trees with their sub appearances.

Fans will always question Jeff as a left-back, but they seem to forget, that the lad has had some very impressive performances in that position as well as his bad games. It really depends who he partners down that left side, and with Dyer in front of him, to be honest, I always feel confident when they play with each other, they can be very dangerous. Birmingham for instance, despite a poor game for 70 odd minutes, when Pearson changed it to 4-4-2, allowing Dyer to support Schlupp it worked, and that left-side to be fair changed the game in our favour. A couple appearances at left-back last season as well by Jeff impressed me, prior to that Leeds game where he gave that penalty away then got dropped, before that game I thought he looked very good and didn't really put a foot wrong, can remember when he came on as a sub last season in a home game(can't remember which one unfortunately), but he got put in at left-back, and played an absolute blinder, think I gave him MOTM that day, and some others on this forum were impressed as well. 

He is a squad player, but he ain't that bad, he's a good player to have.

The new Waghorn? Now I know Waggy divides opinions but at least he's scored a fair amount of goals. It's a bit of an insult to Waghorn that!

Schlupp, if he's to have any kind of striking career needs to be breaking into our side in that position immediately.

Personally I've never rated him and I've never seen anything to understand why some fans like him so much.

Maybe it was not explained properly,

By 'The new waghorn' 

I meant, A player that looks to have so much potential, is given a nice run at the start, and performs well, then does not feature for a while, come back with no confidence and poor form, then gets sent on loan, then by the time we get him back into the first team, 3-4 seasons have gone by and he's lost half his potential! and ends up most likely being sold!

:)

I like Jeff, last season when he got a little run in the side, he impressed me, and he showed that he was capable of hitting the net.

Since then he hasn't really got a chance, and a good run again in the side in his natural position, it's been left-back or subs bench for him. He hasn't really featured much this season, only for a couple of minutes with substitute appearances, and it's not enough time really to make a difference in a game, same applies to Wood & Hammond in particular when Pearson has brought them on this season, gives them about 10 minutes, and they haven't really pulled up any trees with their sub appearances.

Fans will always question Jeff as a left-back, but they seem to forget, that the lad has had some very impressive performances in that position as well as his bad games. It really depends who he partners down that left side, and with Dyer in front of him, to be honest, I always feel confident when they play with each other, they can be very dangerous. Birmingham for instance, despite a poor game for 70 odd minutes, when Pearson changed it to 4-4-2, allowing Dyer to support Schlupp it worked, and that left-side to be fair changed the game in our favour. A couple appearances at left-back last season as well by Jeff impressed me, prior to that Leeds game where he gave that penalty away then got dropped, before that game I thought he looked very good and didn't really put a foot wrong, can remember when he came on as a sub last season in a home game(can't remember which one unfortunately), but he got put in at left-back, and played an absolute blinder, think I gave him MOTM that day, and some others on this forum were impressed as well. 

He is a squad player, but he ain't that bad, he's a good player to have.

Good analysis, but one issue I have, is that when/if we go up (Optimism) He will NEVER get a game!

and if we dont get this lad out on loan or get some confidence into him, will he ever reach his potential,

At the moment for me, although I'd love to see him do well, you bring subs on to either replace injured players, or freshen the game up, Jeff doesnt seem to do either at the moment as he is lost when he gets on!!

Think he has all of the attributes; strong, pacy, good on the ball, decent in the air... and that's why he's done well at full back.

He has the attributes if not the positional sense but I think what's holding him back at the moment is his desire. He has had the chances, that cannot be a complaint from him. But there have been too many times where he has looked disinterested. He doesn't display the hunger or desire that others before him have done, you only have to look at the way Moore has handled himself to see that if you have the ability and you want it the opportunity is there. There have been a couple of times in particular recently where he's come on in tight games where we need people working from the front and he's been brought on in place of the outstanding work of Vardy or the movement (albeit it sometimes half-hearted) of Nugent. At times, that has left us under more pressure than it should do.

I agree with others that he looks more of a winger to me whereby the onus is on him to cover the ground down the flanks rather than across the whole of our frontline.

Good analysis, but one issue I have, is that when/if we go up (Optimism) He will NEVER get a game!

and if we dont get this lad out on loan or get some confidence into him, will he ever reach his potential,

At the moment for me, although I'd love to see him do well, you bring subs on to either replace injured players, or freshen the game up, Jeff doesnt seem to do either at the moment as he is lost when he gets on!!

Why send him out on loan, when we don't have enough options up front in the first place.

Nugent, Vardy, Wood is not enough, especially with the form Nugent and Wood have showed.

He will never get a run in the side unless we have injuries. 

I don't rate him very much. He is not good enough for a team wanting promotion, but would do well for a team like Ipswich or something. He has good raw attributes like pace and strength, but has no strikers instinct, first touch or general decision making.

If we take opinions aside for a moment, the fact remains that every manager he has played under has rated him. Sousa gave him a squad number, Sven played, Did well in L1 nearly 3 years ago, Pearson had the faith to stick at left-back, Sir Alex had a look and Ghana snapped him up as soon as they could because the German FA were sniffing around. So whilst he hasn't progressed as much as we would have liked, clearly there is some talent there!

Keep keep .Could be top class.Time will tell.Always had a bit of something special and stays on his feet very durable.As mentioned very good working the left with Dyer bit of guidance and patience make him more confident and aware and could be a top class player.Up to him to be honest but every chance

Pace clearly unnerves people but so does Vardy's and I'm always infinitely more confident Vardy will make something happen.

I like Schlupp but his finishing and decision making in the final third is so garbage its painful to watch.

Vardy's finishing is dreadful and his decision making is often poor, I think Vardy and Schlupp are very similar players but I'd like to see Schlupp given a continued run in the team

I do feel that Pearson should play him on the left wing, which is his natural position in my view.

Chopping and changing a player's position around, does really unsettle them in my humble opinion.

If the lad was given a longish run on the left wing, I feel he would be more settled, and more confident within himself. He has the talent, so please Mr. P., give him that chance to show what he can do, and prove to you that the left wing is where he belongs.

I do feel that Pearson should play him on the left wing, which is his natural position in my view.

Chopping and changing a player's position around, does really unsettle them in my humble opinion.

If the lad was given a longish run on the left wing, I feel he would be more settled, and more confident within himself. He has the talent, so please Mr. P., give him that chance to show what he can do, and prove to you that the left wing is where he belongs.

He's a striker, always has been.

I think he could be alright on the left wing though.

Would be interesting to know how ridiculous the contract Sven gave him is. I half suspect that whole man utd trial thing was a setup to try and drum up some interest from other clubs so we could get him off our books. He has certainly never shown anything like the ability to be anywhere near Man Utd's reserves. From his first team performances for us I'd say he'll struggle to be a professional footballer for much longer.

Then he goes and bangs a couple in for the ressies and you wonder if maybe he does have the talent but lacks the confidence to bring it out of himself at first team level. Against Doncaster he seemed to actively avoid getting into the game, maybe through nerves or similar. Perhaps he still feels the pressure of having been hyped up by Sven.

Or maybe he's just not very good. Time will tell. I do hope he comes good.

Would be interesting to know how ridiculous the contract Sven gave him is. I half suspect that whole man utd trial thing was a setup to try and drum up some interest from other clubs so we could get him off our books. He has certainly never shown anything like the ability to be anywhere near Man Utd's reserves. From his first team performances for us I'd say he'll struggle to be a professional footballer for much longer.

Then he goes and bangs a couple in for the ressies and you wonder if maybe he does have the talent but lacks the confidence to bring it out of himself at first team level. Against Doncaster he seemed to actively avoid getting into the game, maybe through nerves or similar. Perhaps he still feels the pressure of having been hyped up by Sven.

Or maybe he's just not very good. Time will tell. I do hope he comes good

A level which is so inferior to the championship, its unreal. Can't believe what some people post!

A level which is so inferior to the championship, its unreal. Can't believe what some people post!

Yep, that was my point.

I'm reluctant to be too harsh on Schlupp because he might even read this thread at some point and everyone obviously really wants him to do well and will support him and everything and if his confidence is fragile the last thing he needs is to think all the fans are on his back when they're not.

But let's be honest here he has not yet delivered any of the quality at first team level that he needs to be delivering in order to be taken seriously as a professional footballer. Certainly in the last 18 months I can't remember him putting in anything other than poor performances and he has on occasion stood out as being totally out of his depth.

I think loaning him out to a league one club will do him some good and hopefully help him to find his level.

Archived