Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Today's defence

I just wanted to comment on today's back four. I thought they were sensational and wanted to make a few points.

Wasilewski is the partner for Morgan that some of us were crying out for last season. Where Keane seemed to falter and to get muscled out at times, this bloke is a rock. His experience, positioning and aerial strength compliment Wes superbly. He's also a good passer. If he continues in this vein, he will be an excellent signing and I would suggest, these two actually make the best centre-back partnership at present.

Secondly, I maintain that Moore is a better DEFENDER than RDL. Naturally, his mentality is to defend, be strong and not get caught out.

Finally, I still want to see Schlupp (as I said at the start of the season) play consistently at left back. His overlapping play with Lloyd was a joy to behold, especially in the first half. Yes, he can get caught too far forward, at times, but that will improve with experience and, most importantly, with game time.

We limited them to very few chances today and made Deeney (clearly a good striker at this level) look pedestrian.

Personally, I think this is the best back-four we could put out at present.

Comments please....

1st time I seen Wasilewski play today thought he was fantastic, looks like the type of guy even Duncan Ferguson would be nice to. We will have some selection problems when De Laet is back because Moore, Wasil and Morgan are all worthy of their places

Its great to see Was settling and what an asset he is going to be. He has real character and gives us thst edge at the back. Great move getting him in. Kept that tvat Denney quiet all afternoon. Going to enjoy a few stellas at my sons 18th tonite feeling happy happy happy !!

I thought Keane was decent enough, and let's remember that was his first season in professional football for crying out loud. You're then making a comparison between Keane and Marcel, a 33 year old centre half. Of course there are going to be great differences.

I thought Marcel, Moore and Morgan were all solid again today and long let that continue.

Disagree with the Schlupp bit to be honest Col. Attacking wise I think he's very good and looks dangerous, he'll outpace most players in that league. Defensively he worries me a bit. He gets caught out of position a lot and always looks very shaky, today I noticed Watford started playing on him a bit more.

One or two games he's alright as a stop gap to fill in, but over the course of a season I'd have doubts about him defensively. In time I think he'd go on to be a good winger.

I thought the centre backs played well but the full backs looked dodgy defensively. Schlupp had a great game on the ball but positionally in the second half he was worrying.

I think we'll need to do better at the back, we're conceding some sloppy goals and could have conceded today if Deeney or Anya could hit a barn door.

I do think the whole back 4 offer something as players, but I'm not convinced by Schlupp as a left back and it's a bit of a shame Moore isn't still playing centre back when he was such a rock.

I think that's the area to improve on.

I thought Keane was decent enough, and let's remember that was his first season in professional football for crying out loud. You're then making a comparison between Keane and Marcel, a 33 year old centre half. Of course there are going to be great differences.

I thought Marcel, Moore and Morgan were all solid again today and long let that continue.

Marcel?

marcel-desailly-et-rui-costa_actus.jpg

When I saw the line-up with Schlupp at left back I thought we'd struggle to keep a clean sheet. How wrong I was

Think it's great that we have so much real competition at the back. Last year RDL looked knackered towards the end of the season, and Keane was starting to falter, so we're in far better shape this year I feel. 

Its great to see Was settling and what an asset he is going to be. He has real character and gives us thst edge at the back. Great move getting him in. Kept that tvat Denney quiet all afternoon. Going to enjoy a few stellas at my sons 18th tonite feeling happy happy happy !!

Liam Moore was fantastic again today, won every single header he jumped for. Seriously think there will be a lot of PL interest in him come January.

Will be interesting to see if Pearson considers 5 at the back again when De Laet is back, with Wes, Was and Moore as the centre 3.

Morgan and Wasilewski have done an amazing job, in the last three league games. I saw comments about Was, saying he didn't look that good against Huddersfield, seemed slow and got caught in behind quite a few times, and frankly I was baffled. We all know Morgan is always consistent, bar a rare few tricky games, and we've always been crying out for a central defensive partner who is just as consistent as Wes is.

I believe we have found those players in Liam Moore & Marcin Wasilewski. For me Was has been an absolute beast in the last three games, we've had defenders in the past, who seemed scared to bring the ball out of defence and pick a pass, and their passing range wasn't great, Matt Mills being a prime example of that, but I love defenders who look to bring the ball out of defence, bring the midfield into play with great passes, and get the intensity going, and Wasilewski so far has been great at this. He is strong, he has great heading ability, and some of his blocks especially today were simply sublime.

If he keeps this up, he will be a cult hero at our club, and will more than likely earn himself a new contract. 

I thought the centre backs played well but the full backs looked dodgy defensively. Schlupp had a great game on the ball but positionally in the second half he was worrying.

I think we'll need to do better at the back, we're conceding some sloppy goals and could have conceded today if Deeney or Anya could hit a barn door.

I do think the whole back 4 offer something as players, but I'm not convinced by Schlupp as a left back and it's a bit of a shame Moore isn't still playing centre back when he was such a rock.

I think that's the area to improve on.

Thought Moore was solid today at RB. Shlupp obviously isn't a LB but he's doing his best to fill that role. Beating a decent team with both regular full backs missing is an achievement. According to Watford fans it was the likes of dyer and shlupp that was their downfall

A fit, in form Konch gets the nod from me for LB right now but that ain't gonna last, its the twilight of his career and there's only one way for Konch to go. Does Jeff want to be an LB? I do enjoy his overlaps with Dyer and if he's up for it then he'll definitely get more game time….

I agree. They were SOLID. Wasilewski has really added another dimension to our defence - extra strength. It's great to see.

Col, I do agree with what you say :). One slight comment re: Schlupp. A lot of the time he gets caught too close to the central defenders. But I agree with you - maybe consistently playing at LB his positioning will improve. His strength to overcome Doyley for the Knockaert goal was a joy to see. 

Archived