Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

Ade Akinbiyi

Nah we were crap long before wycombe. Even in peelers first few games when he took us to the top of the prem there were signs. We had a really easy start but only narrowly won games. It was a steady decline from MON leaving all the way through to relegation. We just got worse and worse and worse.

At least that's my recollection. The key problem was never replacing lennon.

Worst thing about that video is seeing that little **** W*se in a City shirt.

He deserved booing far more than Akinbiyi.

I actually feel for Akinbiyi watching that. Looked like a dead man walking half the time. Some of the misses though lol Jesus.

Nah we were crap long before wycombe. Even in peelers first few games when he took us to the top of the prem there were signs. We had a really easy start but only narrowly won games. It was a steady decline from MON leaving all the way through to relegation. We just got worse and worse and worse.

At least that's my recollection. The key problem was never replacing lennon.

I've had this chat with a few people since, and they've all mentioned the failure to replace Lennon. We'll have to go a long way to get another central midfield pairing as strong as him and Muzzy.

I remember straight after that roy essandoh goal ade had a one on one which he obviously fluffed but i wonder what would have happened if he would have miraculously bagged....

I remember repeatedly saying, and hearing others say it, that once Akinbiyi got one he'd be on fire and won't be able to stop scoring.

How wrong I was.

Seeing Andy Impey reminded me of how fast he was.

So, 100m sprint, 1 on 1, Impey or Dyer?

Impey. Dyer's burdened with a neck.

Childhood memories of sitting in the car with the radio on while parents went shopping, people must have thought I was very strange the way I used to shout at the radio every time in heard this blokes name.

The amount of times I heard

" Akinbiyi in on goal, 6 yards out! He's put it over the bar, well this poor run of form is astonishing"

Just terrible memories and how we went from a great position in the league to relegation under Tayler and then Bassett. Oh dear oh dear. All after that game against Wycombe Wanderers. Talk about plummeting. Still refuse to go shopping at that Tesco where I listened to that season ever again!

You part time smuck

The transfer fee wasn't his fault so it's tough that it's labelled against him but some of those misses are appalling. Doesn't matter what level you play at, they are fantastic chances that just have be scored. Total lack of composure in front of goal. if you look at some of his goals for us they were deft flicks at the near post which makes the blazing of gilt-edged opportunities even worse.

We sold Lennon in the december. We were just as good if not better that season up until that point. We were constantly in the top 2 or 3..top until Man Utd, had a few game blip but still came back.

We had 35 points after 19 games(half the season). Thats incredible tbh. Then we lost Lennon..THAT was the difference. First game 6-1 loss to Arsenal, our backbone was gone.

We then did win a couple of games and after Liverpool we were remarkably 4th still in mid March! Then that Wycombe game happened and a downward spiral, was the end.

Some people say Wycombe was the end, I disagree the signs were way before March. Some say right from the start of Peter Taylor coming, again I disagree. I think when Lennon left it changed everything.

Dare I say, if we kept Lennon, at 35 points in 19 games, we'd of gone on and done better than O Neil and been in the top. Remember the top 4 wasnt so 'exclusive' back then, who knows if we'd got it, we could of been built into a big premiership club.

For those that weren't around at the time, it was very much like the Torres and Andy Carrol transfer, we sold Heskey to Liverpool for £11 million, a huge amount in those days, and we spent far too much of that on replacing him. £5 million back then was still a huge amount, especially for an untested player.

Looking at the adjusted for inflation transfer fees: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/92608-transfer-inflation/?hl=transfer

Heskey's £11million is around £37million in today's money, so using the same factor of inflation Akinbiyi's £5mill is £17million.

That is just how ridiculous that transfer was.

You can't blame the player, if any player is being overpriced and a manager or club are willing to pay, and pay the sign on fee and increased wages, any player will take up the option!!!

Peter Taylor is to blame, no-one else.  Ade, on the pitch gave 100% week in, week out, even though he knew he did not have the talent, the guy to his credit, never stopped trying!!

Allways felt sorry for the guy,as said it was not his fault we bought him for 5 million......dont know his scoring record but If my memory is right he scored a lot but not for us.

Allways felt sorry for the guy,as said it was not his fault we bought him for 5 million......dont know his scoring record but If my memory is right he scored a lot but not for us.

We sold Lennon in the december. We were just as good if not better that season up until that point. We were constantly in the top 2 or 3..top until Man Utd, had a few game blip but still came back.

We had 35 points after 19 games(half the season). Thats incredible tbh. Then we lost Lennon..THAT was the difference. First game 6-1 loss to Arsenal, our backbone was gone.

We then did win a couple of games and after Liverpool we were remarkably 4th still in mid March! Then that Wycombe game happened and a downward spiral, was the end.

Some people say Wycombe was the end, I disagree the signs were way before March. Some say right from the start of Peter Taylor coming, again I disagree. I think when Lennon left it changed everything.

Dare I say, if we kept Lennon, at 35 points in 19 games, we'd of gone on and done better than O Neil and been in the top. Remember the top 4 wasnt so 'exclusive' back then, who knows if we'd got it, we could of been built into a big premiership club.

I have to disagree with some of that. He made the mistake of telling savage he was a playmaker, our style of play was far too open and there was holes all over the team. Being the optimists I felt these holes were due to a change in formation and once we had settled into the system they would be tightened up and we would really become a force. What actually happened is that teams realised we were gash and stopped showing us the respect we had earned under O'Neill, these holes got exploited and taylor wasn't capable with his inferior signings to turn it around.

How on earth did we get back 2.2 million from palace for him lol

Why did we not take the 3.5mil wolves offered 3 months earlier to take him back.

I remember being away on a break watching a live game on sky (Blackburn away)

A hammers fan sat by me at HT was shaking his head saying we should be 6 up.

At full time he said we should have scored 10 and the useless cvnt up front should of had 8 and he would have still missed a couple of sitters as well.

No can't remember the score. By the end I had lost all will to live. 

How many barn door and cows arse jokes can you put up with in 90mins.

You can't blame the player, if any player is being overpriced and a manager or club are willing to pay, and pay the sign on fee and increased wages, any player will take up the option!!!

Peter Taylor is to blame, no-one else.  Ade, on the pitch gave 100% week in, week out, even though he knew he did not have the talent, the guy to his credit, never stopped trying!!

This is true.

Still remember that Liverpool game like it was yesterday. I can't ever recall seeing such an incompetent display of finishing as that day, compounded by Robbie Fowler delivering a finishing masterclass at the other end. I think that was the day the patience of the fans for Ade snapped.

Still remember that Liverpool game like it was yesterday. I can't ever recall seeing such an incompetent display of finishing as that day, compounded by Robbie Fowler delivering a finishing masterclass at the other end. I think that was the day the patience of the fans for Ade snapped.

lol me to! remember it so well.

Archived