Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

So FF16 story is complete. Tbh im glad its over as i just wanted to get the main story done. It wont leave a lasting memory like the classic FF games (6-10) But its a solid game with many gorgeous moments and epic Eikon battles. 

1 hour into Sea of Stars and it gives me FF/Paper Mario vibes with the battle system. So im intrigued as to what the game is about. I do love a good turn based RPG

Skies of Arcadia is still one of my fave Turn based RPGs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Completely finished Valhalla and all extra content with all achievements (i know im late to the party  but dont get a lot of time to play) 

Not sure what next Starfield or Sea of stars as @kingcarr21 has mentioned their both free on game pass so will see. Both look my sort of game. I take it FF16 isnt on xbox just a PS exclusive?

That must of took ages.  lol

Platinum on the base game took me over 120 hours.  I was fed up after 80 hours so never did go back to do the extra content.

Mirage looks good from the gameplay videos.  With it being smaller scale, it should help with keeping it interesting rather than the rinse and repeat huge maps of the last couple of games.

19 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

That must of took ages.  lol

Platinum on the base game took me over 120 hours.  I was fed up after 80 hours so never did go back to do the extra content.

Mirage looks good from the gameplay videos.  With it being smaller scale, it should help with keeping it interesting rather than the rinse and repeat huge maps of the last couple of games.

It was over 200hrs but that was on the 2nd hardest difficulty so i did die quite a bit. The achievement that took longest was getting gold in all the mastery challenges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thefox81 said:

It was over 200hrs but that was on the 2nd hardest difficulty so i did die quite a bit. The achievement that took longest was getting gold in all the mastery challenges

Yes, it never felt too onerous.  The final trophy drop for me was clearing those fishing challenges which seemed to take an absolute age.  By this point I was feeling quite impatient and had had enough of it tbh.  Although this was not as painful as taking on Medusa in the previous game.  She was a total pain to deal with.

8 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

So FF16 story is complete. Tbh im glad its over as i just wanted to get the main story done. It wont leave a lasting memory like the classic FF games (6-10) But its a solid game with many gorgeous moments and epic Eikon battles. 

1 hour into Sea of Stars and it gives me FF/Paper Mario vibes with the battle system. So im intrigued as to what the game is about. I do love a good turn based RPG

Skies of Arcadia is still one of my fave Turn based RPGs.

Enemies pack quite a punch early on and I've met game over many times.  Cooking up meals and MP/HP drains are common to deal with getting from save point to save point in my experience.  You can camp at any time travelling between areas on the main map and it costs nothing to camp to replenish HP/MP and cook meals ready for another run.  Take your time and don't rush.  Also timing attacks for boosts is worth it but I cannot get used to the blocks which are tricky to time.

26 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Enemies pack quite a punch early on and I've met game over many times.  Cooking up meals and MP/HP drains are common to deal with getting from save point to save point in my experience.  You can camp at any time travelling between areas on the main map and it costs nothing to camp to replenish HP/MP and cook meals ready for another run.  Take your time and don't rush.  Also timing attacks for boosts is worth it but I cannot get used to the blocks which are tricky to time

I have played a couple of hours and so far I'm enjoying it. I like the battle system with the boost and the way your MP is so precious. I had the relic turned on for healing after each battle but it made it too easy. Defo more tactical now without it. Blocking is difficult but makes it satisfying when you pull it off. 

Ive put in a few hours into Sea of Stars now. Story is starting to take shape. Its a well made game, combat isn't overly difficult once you get the accurate button presses. Not very often have i had to eat food to recover. Though with how the story is going now i think the game will have a bit of a difficulty spike now.

5 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Ive put in a few hours into Sea of Stars now. Story is starting to take shape. Its a well made game, combat isn't overly difficult once you get the accurate button presses. Not very often have i had to eat food to recover. Though with how the story is going now i think the game will have a bit of a difficulty spike now.

Initially, I agree.  On your second point, yes, I can confirm that this has now happened.

I am at the usual brick wall as far as JRPG bosses are concerned.  lol

Tried three times but to no avail.  Changed up the strategy but it isn't working.  One move in particular takes off 50+ health to all party members which severely depletes options and once healing is done there isn't the time to get the hits in before you're back in a similar state.  Not too sure how to approach it differently either.  There's not much out there at the moment in terms of tactics/guides to read through.

You'll know the place when you get there.  Requires three unlocks on the boss' entrance which in themselves are fine to clear but then the boss is on a different level entirely.

As for the game itself it's brilliant - a very well made retro RPG.

I managed to get the rebound trophy last night which took a fair bit of skill to achieve - 25 rebounds off enemies without losing the streak on that Valere skill attack.  Pleased with that.  

Edited by Legend_in_blue

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Initially, I agree.  On your second point, yes, I can confirm that this has now happened.

I am at the usual brick wall as far as JRPG bosses are concerned.  lol

Tried three times but to no avail.  Changed up the strategy but it isn't working.  One move in particular takes off 50+ health to all party members which severely depletes options and once healing is done there isn't the time to get the hits in before you're back in a similar state.  Not too sure how to approach it differently either.  There's not much out there at the moment in terms of tactics/guides to read through.

You'll know the place when you get there.  Requires three unlocks on the boss' entrance which in themselves are fine to clear but then the boss is on a different level entirely.

As for the game itself it's brilliant - a very well made retro RPG.

I managed to get the rebound trophy last night which took a fair bit of skill to achieve - 25 rebounds off enemies without losing the streak on that Valere skill attack.  Pleased with that.  

I'm now wondering which boss you are referring to. As I am about 17 hours into the game. I've only had game over once and that was possibly the boss you are on about. Against a female wizard/witch who summons monsters to help.

I also got the rebound trophy. 

When it comes to healing, I find that I don't need to eat food as by time I need to heal I have 2 combo slots and I then use the combo ability to heal. I honestly reckon I have only ate about 10 meals the whole game.

21 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I'm now wondering which boss you are referring to. As I am about 17 hours into the game. I've only had game over once and that was possibly the boss you are on about. Against a female wizard/witch who summons monsters to help.

I also got the rebound trophy. 

When it comes to healing, I find that I don't need to eat food as by time I need to heal I have 2 combo slots and I then use the combo ability to heal. I honestly reckon I have only ate about 10 meals the whole game.

Yes, it was that boss.  I hadn't used that 2 star combo ability to heal the whole party until this point.  Didn't know it was there.  Once I used that, it was easy to cycle the attacks and deal with the damage output.  Also used similar tactics on the garden boss in the mansion, did that 1st go no problems, which is where I'm at now.

I find it amusing that a little known retro indie rpg can outscore many aaa titles currently on Metacritic, but there you have it.  Great game.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

37 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Yes, it was that boss.  I hadn't used that 2 star combo ability to heal the whole party until this point.  Didn't know it was there.  Once I used that, it was easy to cycle the attacks and deal with the damage output.  Also used similar tactics on the garden boss in the mansion, did that 1st go no problems, which is where I'm at now.

I find it amusing that a little known retro indie rpg can outscore many aaa titles currently on Metacritic, but there you have it.  Great game.

Yea the game difficulty doesn't really spike. I'm looking for rainbow conches now before I go towards end game. I'm sure I'm near the end. It's a really good little RPG. Well balanced with likeable characters. Though it pulls on the heartstrings

12 hours ago, Libertine said:

About 17 hours in myself, loving it. Nice to play something a bit more simple and 'mindful' in between all the big AAA games that can sometimes blur into one or be a bit overwhelming.

Well here was me thinking i was heading towards the final part of the story and now its all opened up into much more. So im quite happy for this game and story to continue. 

A game with a good story has always been a must have for me in any game. That feeling you get when you stop playing and then you are looking forward to the next time you can play it. Im 22 hours in and i still have plenty to do.

Ive now caught every species of fish and got the trophy. I may even try to platinum this game

• Like 2

On 12/09/2023 at 14:31, kingcarr21 said:

I feel like i've come so far with this that I just need to battle on through to the end. Purely the main story and no side missions now. 

Just done the battle with Hugo Kupka's Titan (second time). Can you remember how far left to go? 

11 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

I feel like i've come so far with this that I just need to battle on through to the end. Purely the main story and no side missions now. 

Just done the battle with Hugo Kupka's Titan (second time). Can you remember how far left to go? 

Yes you still have a long way to go. You still haven't even unlocked the full Eikon skill tree. Even once you unlock the final Eikon its still a fair way to go.

I would say to keep playing it though as some of the later battles are stunning

12 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

So now i am at end game of Sea of Stars. Just going around to unexplored areas before i go to the final battle. Plenty of little side quests to do without even realising it. I will check the trophy list after i have finished to see if platinum is achievable and i can be bothered lol 

The pace at which you get through games is impressive.  I don't have the time!

I've just got the ship and have set up the town on the new island and about to explore the cave area.  

I've read up a bit on the trophy run as I've a feeling it is doable without too much trouble but there is an achievement for collecting all the treasures.  I know I've missed a couple - one at the start which I couldn't reach and one in the haunted mansion.  I hope there's a way to track them easily later on and that they are all retrievable when revisiting older areas otherwise the platinum will be a total pain and I'll pack it in.

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The pace at which you get through games is impressive.  I don't have the time!

I've just got the ship and have set up the town on the new island and about to explore the cave area.  

I've read up a bit on the trophy run as I've a feeling it is doable without too much trouble but there is an achievement for collecting all the treasures.  I know I've missed a couple - one at the start which I couldn't reach and one in the haunted mansion.  I hope there's a way to track them easily later on and that they are all retrievable when revisiting older areas otherwise the platinum will be a total pain and I'll pack it in.

I work from home and start at 9am. So i get an hour and a half every morning (once Ashton is picked up on school bus) before i turn on my laptop. Then with my job there can be periods where i am waiting for emails/others to do their work before i can continue. My PS5 is on my work desk so a quick switch of the HDMI cable from laptop to PS5 and i can play whilst i wait. I probably average an hour through work also. So i tend to get 2 and a half hours gaming by the end of the working day. 

Then some nights the wife will go to bed and ill have another blast. Its probably not very healthy how much gaming i do haha. But i cook and clean also im not totally useless lol 

Yes you will have chance to revisit places with ease so dont worry. Ive just saved the game before going into the final battle so i should finish the story today

EDIT - Also on the world map you see a Silver Star next to the name when you have collected every treasure chest. So you can easily see where you need to explore at end game.

Edited by kingcarr21
  • Like 2