Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

Got given a free copy of Alan Wake 2 with my new laptop, skim read a few reviews and the premise and thought it sounded pretty good. 

Wish I'd paid attention to the fact it's fvcking Remedy. 

This might be an unpopular opinion and I might be on my own here but fvck me I can't be doing with Remedy Entertainment. Holy pretentiousness batman. 

Sam Lake has so many good ideas but the man thinks he's a genius which has two really ugly side effects. The first is that his work ends up being overly masturbatory and self indulgent. I could forgive this to a point, I mean I'm occasionally a little bit pretentious myself (chortle) and I don't really mind things that are a bit up their own arse in small doses. 

But the other side effect of thinking you're a genius is seeing the rest of the world as idiots. This can manifest itself in a few different ways but with Remedy games it means hideously over explaining everything. I appreciate I've only sat and played the first couple of hours and it's obviously going to start off a bit tutorial-y but christ alive does this game think everyone playing it is thick. It has no respect for your intelligence as the player, it has to over explain and point out every single clue with huge being neon signs and a constant running commentary from the players just in case you might blink and miss any of their amazingly clever content. 

This makes for a hideously boring detective game. I mean what detecting to I need to do? What problem solving is there when the game just states the obvious solidly. 

And it's got the same problem Control does. We came up with this great story with loads of depth and we're really proud of ourselves but we spent the whole time writing the narrative and forgot we were supposed to make a playable game as well. It's so dull. 

Like every time I find something I've got to go back to my MiNd PlAcE to put it on the board and then talk about it and read about it "I found some chewing gum, the killer must like chewing gum, who chews gum I wonder? I should look out for people chewing gum. Here's a list of people that chew gum I should stick all their photos on the wall" holy fvcking shit does its own gameplay ruin its own pacing. 

Why is this a game of the year nominee on everyone's list? Do people really like it or are they just pretending to because as with Control it sets itself up to look clever so people are just too embarrassed to admit they didn't like it lest someone calls them thick and accuses them of not getting it? 

From those options for me it would be:

1. Tears of the Kingdom

2. Spider-Man 2

3. Resident Evil 4

4. Baldur's Gate 3

5/6. Alan Wake 2 Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Tears of the Kingdom is my favourite out of my top 3 which I have played, and Spider-Man 2 is a very close runner up to it

Whilst I haven't really played BG3 myself (I stopped after a bit and haven’t gone back) I have at least really enjoyed watching streamers play it (Soviet Womble specifically)

I haven't played or watched any of either of Alan Wake 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder so they have to come joint last

I expect Baldur’s Gate 3 will win it easily

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

As Finners discussed above, Alan Wake 2 is utter wank (I can be more concise...although I did love Control). Graphics amazing but sounds like it was written by a GCSE student. 

Baldur's Gate 3 is on my list of best games ever. Trouble with these lists is that if a game is a 100/100, but not your genre, you won't like it. BG3 is perhaps the best game of its type ever made. Fortunately it's a genre I love and I can't praise this game highly enough. 

Spider Man 2. Really really enjoyed playing it. Only gripe I have with it is that it's more of the same from 1 and MM. Unfair to criticise that, but the original one was such a surprise that 2 didn't have that to help it along and make as strong an impression. 

RE4. It's a remake, get it off the list. Not getting a nomination from me for porting an old game into a new engine. 

Super Mario Bros Wonder is amazing. Very similar to what they did with Mario Odyssey where they put a new slant of an extremely familiar game (platforming Mario).

TOTK. How this isn't even in my thoughts for GOTY is more to do with the above games being so good. Not popular in some corners, but BOTW is my "desert island game". TOTK made everything about BOTW better, but similar to Spiderman, when it's more of the same it's not as punchy or memorable. 

In order... 

BG3

Super Mario

TOTK

Spider Man

RE4

Alan Wake 2

More I see that list, the more annoyed I am that Alan Wake is on it. 

Will say though, what a brilliant year for games.

*edit* It was released last December so missed most of these lists, but Steam version of Dwarf Fortress is sensational! 

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Zear0 your point about BG3 being a genre game is probably why I can't appreciate Spider Man, I just don't give a fvck at all about either Spider Man the character or any of the Spider Man games, just not for me in the absolute slightest. I'm going to trust it's a great game because every Spider Man fan (that isn't a raging incel) has gone crazy for it. I'd give it bonus marks for actually annoying said incels, too (ShE LoOkS LiKe a MaN - what fvcking men do you know!?)

For me it's just BG3 vs TOTK both in terms of which games I'd personally give it to AND which games I think it will rightly come down to being against. I share your thoughts on which should win in that TOTK is ultimately a lot more of the same, its not really new now, I'd consider it almost a travesty if it won because whilst I don't like the "70 dollar DLC" moans (because I think it's big enough to warrant recognition as a game in its own right) it is kinda BOTW 1.5 isn't it really? Seems cheeky letting Nintendo win two Best Game Awards for basically the same game.

But as a massive CRPG fan (its literally my number 1 genre, I grew up in the 90s as a massive Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, et all fan) I cannot stress enough how All-Time-Great BG3 is. What it's accomplished in terms of gameplay, story telling, characterisation, everything, is just unbelievably good. Its near enough impossible to make a game that perfect. I appreciate CRPGs aren't for everyone - in fact I'd say they're pretty niche - but the fact BG3 has had such broad appeal despite that is an immense credit. Its gotta be BG3 man.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Thanks 1

Life is setting boundaries to my gaming these days. So when I can I sink time into slow/pausable turn-based games.
As much as I want to try BG3, I know I will not get near enough the anticipated enjoyment out of it by playing casually and stop/start every few days.

That said, I'm really giving Stellaris a go after flirting with it for years. You really can't go wrong with Paradox - once you get over the initial steep learning curve that is!

On 13/11/2023 at 17:06, moore_94 said:

Where is Bethesda's masterpiece?  lol

Obviously I am going to go with Spiderman 2 out of what is there.  Resi Evil 4 I will get round to but it shouldn't be there as a remake.  I still haven't got hold of Diablo 4 yet which is why I haven't bothered with BG3 yet either.  What's BG3 like on PS5?  Apart from those PS2 classics, it's always been a very strong PC title, which I have played through in the past.  

On 13/11/2023 at 15:55, Finnegan said:

Got given a free copy of Alan Wake 2 with my new laptop, skim read a few reviews and the premise and thought it sounded pretty good. 

Wish I'd paid attention to the fact it's fvcking Remedy. 

This might be an unpopular opinion and I might be on my own here but fvck me I can't be doing with Remedy Entertainment. Holy pretentiousness batman. 

Sam Lake has so many good ideas but the man thinks he's a genius which has two really ugly side effects. The first is that his work ends up being overly masturbatory and self indulgent. I could forgive this to a point, I mean I'm occasionally a little bit pretentious myself (chortle) and I don't really mind things that are a bit up their own arse in small doses. 

But the other side effect of thinking you're a genius is seeing the rest of the world as idiots. This can manifest itself in a few different ways but with Remedy games it means hideously over explaining everything. I appreciate I've only sat and played the first couple of hours and it's obviously going to start off a bit tutorial-y but christ alive does this game think everyone playing it is thick. It has no respect for your intelligence as the player, it has to over explain and point out every single clue with huge being neon signs and a constant running commentary from the players just in case you might blink and miss any of their amazingly clever content. 

This makes for a hideously boring detective game. I mean what detecting to I need to do? What problem solving is there when the game just states the obvious solidly. 

And it's got the same problem Control does. We came up with this great story with loads of depth and we're really proud of ourselves but we spent the whole time writing the narrative and forgot we were supposed to make a playable game as well. It's so dull. 

Like every time I find something I've got to go back to my MiNd PlAcE to put it on the board and then talk about it and read about it "I found some chewing gum, the killer must like chewing gum, who chews gum I wonder? I should look out for people chewing gum. Here's a list of people that chew gum I should stick all their photos on the wall" holy fvcking shit does its own gameplay ruin its own pacing. 

Why is this a game of the year nominee on everyone's list? Do people really like it or are they just pretending to because as with Control it sets itself up to look clever so people are just too embarrassed to admit they didn't like it lest someone calls them thick and accuses them of not getting it? 

I actually missed out on the first Alan Wake, it just kind of passed me by. 

However I absolutely LOVED Control. One of the best shooters I've played in years. 

I get what you're saying about Remedy. Quantum Leap I couldn't get on with and yeah their games aspire to Kojima levels of absolute nonsense at times, but I love Sam Lake's face. Literally his face. 

20-years-on-max-payne-is-as-stylish-as-ever-1627733023998.jpg?width=1600&height=900&fit=crop&quality=100&format=png&enable=upscale&auto=webp

I saw he'd written himself into AW2 as a hard-boiled New York detective, voiced by James McCaffrey (i.e. Max Payne) and for that reason alone I have to play it. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I actually missed out on the first Alan Wake, it just kind of passed me by. 

However I absolutely LOVED Control. One of the best shooters I've played in years. 

I get what you're saying about Remedy. Quantum Leap I couldn't get on with and yeah their games aspire to Kojima levels of absolute nonsense at times, but I love Sam Lake's face. Literally his face. 

20-years-on-max-payne-is-as-stylish-as-ever-1627733023998.jpg?width=1600&height=900&fit=crop&quality=100&format=png&enable=upscale&auto=webp

I saw he'd written himself into AW2 as a hard-boiled New York detective, voiced by James McCaffrey (i.e. Max Payne) and for that reason alone I have to play it. 

The man is just absolutely absurd. Putting your own face on Max Payne is hilarious levels of narcissism. But that love of himself just shines out of the rest of his work. 

I honestly think he sees himself as some rare breed of auteur, like a gaming Tarantino. Just makes absolute twoddle. 

Control was brilliant. I’d rather a very good and interesting game be up its own arse than play another open world collectathon over and over. Beats a Ubisoft game or a ps exclusive third person action adventure copy and paste any day of the week. Might like the smell of its own farts but at least they do interesting things.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Couple of hours into Sea of Stars. Really enjoying it. Proper old school JPRG feel to it. 

Great game, i would highly recommend going for the platinum trophy, which will mean you get the final ending. It wraps the story up nicely.

I am playing Eiyuden Chronicle Rising, one of the games added to the PS Premium library. Only a couple of hours in but i am enjoying the art style and combat. I'm also a sucker for games that have a home base that you can upgrade with resources etc. Ni No Kuni 2 i was obsessed with this mechanic.

The story hasn't really got into gear yet but i feel like i am about to get going. The first couple of hours have been spent doing fetch quests but these quests have introduced various characters and the different shops in the village nicely, there is also a fast travel system and a map similar to Metroid where it gives you hints on direction to go etc, so you never feel like you are wandering aimlessly hoping to find what you are looking for.

I get the feeling this will be a very enjoyable game. 

• Like 1

About 8 hours in and loving Alan Wake. Yes it loves the sound of its own voice but as survival horror games go it’s got its teeth in to me. Story is interesting and it’s genuinely scary at times. The mind board is a bit naff and it over explains things and loves the smell of its own farts but it’s definitely more fun than far creed 11. It’s got its own ideas and you can tell the people who made it had complete creative freedom which is so rare these days. Looks stunning and runs buttery smooth as well which shouldn’t be something to shout about but these days it is. 8.5/10 so far will keep going with it.

RE4 remake.  The 2005 original is one of the best games of its generation and best survival horror game ever made at the time, until Dead Space imo, so it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.  After this I've got Village to do as well to tick every RE box out there.  lol

Edited by Legend_in_blue

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

RE4 remake.  The 2005 original is one of the best games of its generation and best survival horror game ever made at the time, until Dead Space imo, so it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.  After this I've got Village to do as well to tick every RE box out there.  lol

Just seeing the word Dead Space gives me nightmares.  Deadspace 2, disc change and hardcore are words I never want to think of again.

3 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Announced today they are doing more remakes as well

Hopefully they do Zero and Code Veronica

• Like 1