Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Knockaert Interview

Disappointed. Don't get me wrong, deep down I'm sure that they've all got ambitions of playing for top clubs, but it's disrespectful to come out with something like that. I'm hoping that it's a dodgy translation but I don't really see how it can be.

He's shown a lack of respect to a club that's done a hell of a lot for him.

I don't dislike him, but meh, I thought he was better than that.

something been nagging at me about him for a while now due to his poor performances which normlaly get spoiled by his egotistical tricky flash boy style which would be great if he achieveds omething other tha get us into trouble

after this I am convinced

he really is a dick !

lose him !

I don't mind too much what he says, but the bit where he basically says "I have no intention of renewing my contract" is disappointing.

Pretty sure that part is translated incorrectly and he says that he doesn't think he will turn down a contract, but if somebody who's actually French wants to correct me carry on

I'm not French but am a French-English translator and can confirm what Benpicko says - that phrase has been mistranslated.  I'd translate it as "In the coming months, I think that the club will offer me an extension. I don't think that I'll turn down an extension". 

The bit about Leicester as "springboard" is translated pretty accurately, although it is the interviewer who introduces the concept, and AK is clearly talking about ambitions 2 or 3 years down the line as he says:

"It would be no bad thing to seek fresh pastures and play for a bigger club. But I'm in no rush as I'm very happy here. However, in the future, if I can start to build a great career, that's all that I want. I have targets in mind and I'm going to do everything that I can to try to join a bigger club in the years to come. To achieve that will require some good seasons in the Premier League. Leicester is a sort of springboard. I wanted to come here and to get up into the Premier League. That has been achieved. We have a much higher media profile and that could open more doors if I play well on the pitch". 

Perfectly reasonable ambitions. So, he dreams of playing for Lille, Chelsea, France, whoever in the future...so what? He's very complimentary about LCFC and its fans, sounds like he's enjoying life here - and realises that he'll have to improve if he's to get the opportunity to play at a higher level.

Storm in a teacup - and I'd imagine the same applies to this training ground incident. If he thumped a teammate, he won't be the first. Maybe that had something to do with him not being on the bench - but maybe he wasn't on the bench because he's had a poor start to the season? He's had phases before when his play has become a bit selfish, over-dribbling and losing possession and he's lost his place....but bounced back. He comes across as someone who's 23 going on 14 in terms of maturity, so it probably takes a bit longer for things to sink in than with most of the others....but his attitude seems very positive overall. Rightly dropped at the moment, but I hope that he'll be back and able to raise his game - as he already has, since he arrived.

I'm not French but am a French-English translator and can confirm what Benpicko says - that phrase has been mistranslated.  I'd translate it as "In the coming months, I think that the club will offer me an extension. I don't think that I'll turn down an extension". 

The bit about Leicester as "springboard" is translated pretty accurately, although it is the interviewer who introduces the concept, and AK is clearly talking about ambitions 2 or 3 years down the line as he says:

"It would be no bad thing to seek fresh pastures and play for a bigger club. But I'm in no rush as I'm very happy here. However, in the future, if I can start to build a great career, that's all that I want. I have targets in mind and I'm going to do everything that I can to try to join a bigger club in the years to come. To achieve that will require some good seasons in the Premier League. Leicester is a sort of springboard. I wanted to come here and to get up into the Premier League. That has been achieved. We have a much higher media profile and that could open more doors if I play well on the pitch". 

Yeah I'm still annoyed he used the springboard comment at all but it definitely looked worse in the questionable translation than it did when I read the original

It's just that typical French arrogance that cannot be knocked out of him.

He doesn't seem to dictate play like he used to. When he first came he was the only one in the team capable of picking a pass in the final third. He needs to get back to basics. Every time he gets a chance now he puts in a good shift but his enthusiasm means he makes a few too many wrong decisions and attempts a dribble that don't work.

I still think he is a better option than Albrighton though tbh.

A better translation was needed but doing everything you can to join a bigger club?

Shouldn't a player be doing everything they can to makre sure their team is successful?

I'm trying to look for positives here but I'm dissapointed

This.

We did everything we could to avoid treating him like Kermo. We made sure of that.

He could've been frozen out and treated like utter shite but no, he was made to feel like that was simply 'just the football' in his words.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, Anthony.

Not a nice read but I've no problem with players using Leicester as a springboard as if they want to move on up they can't do it without performing for us first. I hope Knockaert doesn't view it as mission accomplished now he's got promoted as he has to take his game to the next level (a mic of the defensive awareness he showed last season and the flashes of brilliance from his first season).

The worst part for me would be the bit about him not renewing if that's true - we've given him so much support and he gives the impression of being very happy playing here most of the time. I do fear that he might have a bit of a tool of an agent though and that he could be susceptible to being encouraged to move on which would be a shame as we'd lose a promising player and the money we forked out to bring him here.

I don't mind too much what he says, but the bit where he basically says "I have no intention of renewing my contract" is disappointing.

But in the next paragraph, he says that he can not thank Guingamp and then goes on to say how grateful he is to them. It could be a pisspoor translation, or could be surprising frankness.

He gives 100% consistently and has scored some very important goals for us. If you can't look past one or two naive (but honest) comments in an interview conducted in another language then you need to grow up FFS.

It's far more naive of anyone to believe any foreign player wants to spend their whole career at a medium-sized provincial club like Leicester.

The worst part for me would be the bit about him not renewing if that's true - we've given him so much support and he gives the impression of being very happy playing here most of the time. I do fear that he might have a bit of a tool of an agent though and that he could be susceptible to being encouraged to move on which would be a shame as we'd lose a promising player and the money we forked out to bring him here.

That part has been mistranslated. He actually says that he thinks he'll sign the new contract if he's offered one

Some poor comments from the lad there!!

To be honest I don't think he gets in out first 11 when everyone fit.

Great impact sub!

Silly comments to be saying though when he hasn't even established himself at premier league level!!

He is takented however! We should keep hold of him unless he loses his focus, which these comments indicate he well could do!

I'm not French but am a French-English translator and can confirm what Benpicko says - that phrase has been mistranslated. I'd translate it as "In the coming months, I think that the club will offer me an extension. I don't think that I'll turn down an extension".

Perfectly reasonable ambitions. So, he dreams of playing for Lille, Chelsea, France, whoever in the future...so what? He's very complimentary about LCFC and its fans, sounds like he's enjoying life here - and realises that he'll have to improve if he's to get the opportunity to play at a higher level.

Storm in a teacup - and I'd imagine the same applies to this training ground incident. If he thumped a teammate, he won't be the first. Maybe that had something to do with him not being on the bench - but maybe he wasn't on the bench because he's had a poor start to the season? He's had phases before when his play has become a bit selfish, over-dribbling and losing possession and he's lost his place....but bounced back. He comes across as someone who's 23 going on 14 in terms of maturity, so it probably takes a bit longer for things to sink in than with most of the others....but his attitude seems very positive overall. Rightly dropped at the moment, but I hope that he'll be back and able to raise his game - as he already has, since he arrived.

Cheers Alf-I'm really worried that people will read this thread and not wait to think about how badly it has been translated.

The word 'springboard' has annoyed people, and said in English I'd agree with them, but it's a translation of a French word, without (necessarily) the shades of meaning we have. He has exactly the same tone talking about playing for France, which is clearly very much hypothetical at the moment.

If instead someone had interviewed Vardy and pressed him "do you think a couple of good seasons with Leicester could open doors to a champions league club?", I don't think we'd be so annoyed about him saying "I'm going to do my best to perform here first, but I'm ambitious and of course I'd never rule out progressing further if everything was right for all parties."

The bit about AK signing was obviously an omission in translation-the tone is very clearly "I like to think they'll offer me a new contract and I can't imagine I'll turn it down." Given that Nuge, Kasper, Cambiasso and Wes all took their time on contracts, I hardly expect him to say "I'll sign whatever they offer me", because clearly, correctly, the club is playing hardball in negotiations.

Absolute fuss about nothing-a few ambitious comments maybe, but the key issues people have are ALL down to poor translation. Please don't chase out one of our best players in recent years over a bit of poor form and a lazy interpreter.

Archived