Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

6 hours ago, WarehamFox said:

If its the junction right outside Sandicliffe's you are wrong, all three lanes can go straight and only the right hand lane can turn right. Next time you do the same and the car on your right hand side goes straight you maybe gonna have an insurance claim against you.

Right junction, brothers, wrong direction I'm coming from the right in that picture, so can go straight ahead and up Welford Road or turn right towards Freeman's Common. Three lanes, two of which turn right and are marked accordingly - I don't make my own rules up.

Weirdly, I see more people making the mistake you're thinking I made than I see people doing what I did which you are allowed to do

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Right junction, brothers, wrong direction I'm coming from the right in that picture, so can go straight ahead and up Welford Road or turn right towards Freeman's Common. Three lanes, two of which turn right and are marked accordingly - I don't make my own rules up.

Weirdly, I see more people making the mistake you're thinking I made than I see people doing what I did which you are allowed to do

Sorry, I wrongly thought it was the other direction cause I sound the horn at coconuts there all the time! Only problem with your new version is there is only two lanes going in the direction you mention :P

33 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Sorry, I wrongly thought it was the other direction cause I sound the horn at coconuts there all the time! Only problem with your new version is there is only two lanes going in the direction you mention :P

You were always going to get me on something! I'm sure you're right, and if it is two, the left hand one gives you the option of going up Welford Road or turning right, which is what people don't seem to realise, hence the incident.

I'd completely forgotten about it, but thanks to you lot the temporary irritation I felt at the time has come flooding back

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

People are paid to come up with these stupid Ideas.

Team of walkers and cyclists making Leicester's road decisions

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/moronic-parking-spaces-by-new-1-7m-welford-road-cycle-lane-to-be-removed/story-29934723-detail/story.html

How do cars parked in the bays block traffic?  Are they not wide enough or something?

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

How do cars parked in the bays block traffic?  Are they not wide enough or something?

You have to see it to believe it. There are three lanes... lane one and three have parking spaces the width of the lane therefore meaning that three lanes of traffic has to merge into lane two to bypass the parked vehicles. Whoever thought of that idea was brain dead

It is weird - everything about the project made sense (to me anyway) and then they put those spaces back in which were the problem before the work started.

In other news, I wasn't annoyed but I felt for the person who's Peugeot Convertible had caught fire on the M69 yesterday.  I assume they were OK, I've not seen anything in the news about it.

Quite the spectacle

30 minutes ago, DB11 said:

You have to see it to believe it. There are three lanes... lane one and three have parking spaces the width of the lane therefore meaning that three lanes of traffic has to merge into lane two to bypass the parked vehicles. Whoever thought of that idea was brain dead

Is this at the start of Welford Road just before David Lloyds gym and the fancy dress shop?

14 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Is this at the start of Welford Road just before David Lloyds gym and the fancy dress shop?

Yes, they've effectively taken one of the busiest routes out of the city and made it one lane rather than the original four. You couldn't make it up honestly... the "it seemed a good idea at the time" is one of the most stupid responses I've ever seen. No it didn't, hence why anyone with a brain and anyone who drove down there said the whole thing was stupid.

It's bloody bedlam down where with people constantly weaving in and out of lanes. Glad I don't venture through it often now.

Edited by Babylon

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Some Cnut deciding to change lane on a roundabout almost driving me off the fcking road. Twat

Happens at least 3 times a day... just installed a dash cam because it's only a matter of time until I get cleared up and I want the evidence.

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The Hobby Horse roundabout.

Potential banana skin with lorries turning right and narrow lanes to turn in.

Only if you don't try to pass them on the inside... which should be obvious to any driver that you have to take into account a large vehicle's turning circle

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yes, they've effectively taken one of the busiest routes out of the city and made it one lane rather than the original four. You couldn't make it up honestly... the "it seemed a good idea at the time" is one of the most stupid responses I've ever seen. No it didn't, hence why anyone with a brain and anyone who drove down there said the whole thing was stupid.

It's bloody bedlam down where with people constantly weaving in and out of lanes. Glad I don't venture through it often now.

Yea i remember going down there to turn left before bannatynes (i wrongly said david lloyd in previous post) to go to De Montfort hall and thinking ive got to move back over to lane 2 to then turn left. Cant believe people thought it would work. Surely someone has been sacked. What a complete waste of money

46 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They've made a right dog's breakfast of it, it would seem.  This is what it used to be like - the main problem before was where the 3 lanes went down to 2 (because of the cars parking by the shops), and I think the logic was that the 3 lanes were pointless (they only go back as far as the start of Newarke Street anyway, which is only fed by 2 lanes at a time) and so there was space for the Newarke Street cycle path.

They seem to have recreated the old problem though by still letting cars park on the right (for now, anyway) but I'm not sure what they've done on the left hand side where the shops are - have they taken away a lane, or are they letting folk park somewhere they didn't before?

4293372_6169ff29.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They've made a right dog's breakfast of it, it would seem.  This is what it used to be like - the main problem before was where the 3 lanes went down to 2 (because of the cars parking by the shops), and I think the logic was that the 3 lanes were pointless (they only go back as far as the start of Newarke Street anyway, which is only fed by 2 lanes at a time) and so there was space for the Newarke Street cycle path.

They seem to have recreated the old problem though by still letting cars park on the right (for now, anyway) but I'm not sure what they've done on the left hand side where the shops are - have they taken away a lane, or are they letting folk park somewhere they didn't before?

4293372_6169ff29.jpg

They took away a bus lane, then added car parking spaces, so you didn't lose one lane you lost two effectively. Then you include the right hand lane that already had people parking in it... you've gone from 4 to 1 in places. Some bus stops no longer having lanes / bays for the busses to stop in, do they end up just stopping the flow of traffic in lanes as well.

But it's fine... 20 people get to cycle up it

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 14.08.41.png

It was only four lanes for that little bit where the bus lane ends to allow traffic to turn left into Mill Street, and the cars parked on the right took out a big chunk of the right hand lane, but how they've managed to end up with one useable one after all that work is a bit of a head scratcher.

My Dad, who was a civil engineer in Planning & Transport (but not for our beloved City Council, I hasten to add) would be spinning in his grave - if he weren't still alive!

• Like 1

Truck and trailer pulled out in front me making me brake hard...sigh. Then drives on a single lane A road at 40mph...hurrumph. Then turns off at the same road I'm going...Oh dear God!. That's 40 minutes in the dark staring at the yellow flashing hazard light on the trailer. I think I'm on the verge of epilepsy.