Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

23 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Two things:

People who put inappropriate tyres on their car (might be corrected about this!) you know when people have three wheels with nice big tyres and then they have the tiniest, thinnest tyre as their spare. Isn't that dangerous? Isn't it even more dangerous when said car is a 2014 saloon Mercedes?

Also, the old woman at the crossing on the B4114 on Tuesday in her nice shiny new Honda Civic. Lights on red, two old dears crossing, no sooner had they crossed her lane then she drove off. Lights still on red and they hadn't even gone past my lane. Wtf?? What absolute arrogance and stupidity. Thankfully the car in front of me pulled her up on it at the next set of lights.

There's often only room for a space saver by design, the spare wheel is only really there to get you home or to a garage with iirc 50 mph max speed.

• Like 1

On 4 September 2016 at 21:58, Thracian said:

Cars as status symbols - too pathetic for words. I'll stick to my old Peugeot Estate with 350,000 miles on the clock and more bruises than a journeyman boxer. Even cyclists look ashamed if I pass them! .:)   

Pathetic indeed, and they really believe driving fast impresses people! I'll stick with my 18 year old Mitsubishi never lets me down 

• Like 2

I haven't entered this thread before, so apologies if the subject's come up.

Why, on motorways that are going away from the coast, do they have a sign that says "Tenez la gauche, Links fahren" eight miles from the coast? And then another two miles along in case you've missed the first one? It boggles the mind. For a start, these signs are always on the left, so one assumes they're preaching to the converted. If they were at all serious about it, they'd have a much larger sign on the right saying "Dummkopf! Retard! Comment avez-vous reussi a vivre cette longue? Sie haben eine deathwish?" or something like that. It would make much more sense.

:rolleyes:   

• 2 weeks later...

Joining M1 southbound at junction 24. Slip road is downhill.

Me and 4 other vehicles are put in a very dangerous situation by a very incompetent driver. This person is 3 vehicles in front of me. They are joining the M1 at 35mph (remember downhill slip road). They then slow down even more - to a stop.

Therefore me and 4 other vehicles are now practically stationary, and in close proximity to each other, with about 30 yards of the slip road to go.

Luckily people on the motorway have spotted the issue and all moved over allowing us to all join the motorway. If they haven't had spotted it, there most likely would have been an accident.

Joining the motorway at slow speed and stopping on the slip road - is this a driving offence? I am currently looking at getting a dash cam to record and report these muppets. Someone will get hurt because of them. If they are incompetent or don't feel confident - they should not be on the road.

• Like 1

On the way to the Manchester airport last Tuesday we were on an A road. Two lorries in the left hand lane one decides to pull out and tries to overtake the other. He couldn't get enough speed to get past him though so they sat side by side for a good mile as the other one wouldn't slow down and the lorry in front of us wouldn't drop his speed to drop back behind. 

He finally managed to get in front of the other lorry and when we went past him I gave him the wànker sign. Fvcking idiot should be done for dangerous driving. 

11 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

On the way to the Manchester airport last Tuesday we were on an A road. Two lorries in the left hand lane one decides to pull out and tries to overtake the other. He couldn't get enough speed to get past him though so they sat side by side for a good mile as the other one wouldn't slow down and the lorry in front of us wouldn't drop his speed to drop back behind. 

He finally managed to get in front of the other lorry and when we went past him I gave him the wànker sign. Fvcking idiot should be done for dangerous driving. 

My guess that one had cruise control set to 50 the other at 52 and neither was prepared to adjust. Poor driving and unprofessional.

How many gears do these lorries have? I remember a lorry driver telling me its such an effort to get a lorry back up to speed that neither lorry tends to back down. 1 simply sticks at 50 and the other 52 and eventually the overtake will happen. Annoying but if we were lorry drivers i bet we would do the same thing

12 hours ago, adam1 said:

Joining the motorway at slow speed and stopping on the slip road - is this a driving offence? I am currently looking at getting a dash cam to record and report these muppets. Someone will get hurt because of them. If they are incompetent or don't feel confident - they should not be on the road.

It's not currently an offence, however the punishment can sometimes be death; both to the offender and those around them.

20 hours ago, adam1 said:

Joining M1 southbound at junction 24. Slip road is downhill.

Me and 4 other vehicles are put in a very dangerous situation by a very incompetent driver. This person is 3 vehicles in front of me. They are joining the M1 at 35mph (remember downhill slip road). They then slow down even more - to a stop.

Therefore me and 4 other vehicles are now practically stationary, and in close proximity to each other, with about 30 yards of the slip road to go.

Luckily people on the motorway have spotted the issue and all moved over allowing us to all join the motorway. If they haven't had spotted it, there most likely would have been an accident.

this happened to my mate at junction 21. Car at the front stopped at end of slip road. He was in the middle of a 5 car shunt and had his car written off.

20 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I always wondered what this was all about until I had it explained to me. It's partly to do with the speed limiters on HGVs ( they're not all set the same so one HGV might have a max speed 2 or 3 mph quicker than another), and partly to do with time pressures and tachograph laws. Basically, lorry drivers can drive for so long before they HAVE to have a break, so every minute counts; take too long and you might be obliged to stop for 45 minutes just when you were about to go home. Since I found this out I've been a bit more sympathetic - like a lot of people I thought before that lorry drivers were just being bloody minded

11 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

It's not currently an offence, however the punishment can sometimes be death; both to the offender and those around them.

As Isaidno commented - accidents do happen - unfortunately you may be right, serious injury or death may occur.

This is what the highway code states. Therefore if you join the motorway at a slow speed - is it dangerous driving?

Rule 259

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

• give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane [emphasis provided by adam1]
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

:

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I always wondered what this was all about until I had it explained to me. It's partly to do with the speed limiters on HGVs ( they're not all set the same so one HGV might have a max speed 2 or 3 mph quicker than another), and partly to do with time pressures and tachograph laws. Basically, lorry drivers can drive for so long before they HAVE to have a break, so every minute counts; take too long and you might be obliged to stop for 45 minutes just when you were about to go home. Since I found this out I've been a bit more sympathetic - like a lot of people I thought before that lorry drivers were just being bloody minded

This. I don't think people realise what it's like for lorry drivers, and although it is annoying to be stuck behind two lorries on an A-road for a few minutes, you can bet that the lorry drivers aren't taking any pleasure out of it or trying to piss other road users off.

Just to add to what you've said about time etc, it's harder for a lorry to make up a couple of minutes lost to being stuck behind a slower lorry than it is for a car.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I raise you a hemel hempstead roundabout

Hemel-Hempstead.jpg

I used to navigate my way through this twice a day for 10 years. You can tell instantly which drivers are 'first timers' on it by the sheer look of horror and confusion on their faces.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I used to navigate my way through this twice a day for 10 years. You can tell instantly which drivers are 'first timers' on it by the sheer look of horror and confusion on their faces.

Yeah i can remember my first time on it, i had only passed my test a few weeks before and there i was in a jumbo transit attempting to negotiate this monstrosity. It wasnt pretty lol.

• Like 1

My mum was took into hospital on Sunday afternoon. Was a pretty scary experience for me as I was the only one with her at home. I followed the ambulance up to the Royal, as much as I could anyway. It wasn't just one car, but I was shocked at how many cars don't actually realise an ambulance is right behind them. I get that you might not see it in your mirror instantly but it took some people a good few minutes to actually realise. 

Edited by Lcfc_lass10