Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

AFCON

:nigel:  Indeed

In all honesty, I'd have no idea/interest in Algeria if Riyad hadn't played at the WC. Got me watching a few WC warm up games and I was very impressed. So much so that I bet on Algeria to get through the group and be the best African team. So thank you very much  :chant:

Jeff has been a revelation the last three games. His confidence has shot up a good few levels and he will be greatly missed.

Just hope his replacement will be given time to adapt by the fans and hope the player can step up to the plate

Terrible timing in Schlupps case as he's in good form, Mahrez is just one of our best players full stop. We could off set one of the weeks we'd be missing them by winning Saturday though hopefully that'll give Pearson some incentive to go out and win tomorrow.

Having said all that how a established Premier League winger like Marc Alrbrighton, who was reasonably well thought of at Villa, has hardly featured this season is beyond me. Hopefully this will be an opportunity he will be looking to take and I'm not overly concerned about him coming in, it's who the other replacement is going to be that has me worried. an extremely unproven youngster who isn't even a winger or Le Incredible Sulk. 

Our players are in Group C, fixtures below can see one of them returning after the group matches its a tough group.

19 January 2015 Ghana v Senegal, Algeria v South Africa 

23 January 2015 Ghana v Algeria, South Africa v Senegal 

27 January 2015 South Africa v Ghana, Senegal v Algeria

Having said all that how a established Premier League winger like Marc Alrbrighton, who was reasonably well thought of at Villa, has hardly featured this season is beyond me.

You have seen him play? The guy has no physical presence whatever and isn't really all that quick. So we're talking about a guy with a great cross....it's not enough.

You have seen him play? The guy has no physical presence whatever and isn't really all that quick. So we're talking about a guy with a great cross....it's not enough.

Have I seen Marc Albrighton play? Yes shit loads of times as he's been playing regularly in this league for years :blink: , decent Premier League winger that's why he's got about 100 aappearances for Villa. Decent touch not exactly slow and can deliver a decent ball, Guppy wasn't strong or particularly quick and it did for him.

Have I seen Marc Albrighton play? Yes shit loads of times as he's been playing regularly in this league for years :blink: , decent Premier League winger that's why he's got about 100 aappearances for Villa. Decent touch not exactly slow and can deliver a decent ball, Guppy wasn't strong or particularly quick and it did for him.

This will be the highly prolific Villa side - the one that scores roughly a goal every other game - and less than that when Benteke is injured??

This will be the highly prolific Villa side - the one that scores roughly a goal every other game - and less than that when Benteke is injured??

No mate that's Aston Villa now, he doesn't play for them anymore, he plays for us now, Remember?

This would be the Aston Villa side that scores enough goals (more than one a game) to finish 9th in one season he played the majority of and more importantly survive consistently. Again scoring more than one a game.  

Although quite why your slagging them off I don't know either score 11 goals and be sat in 12th or score 19 and be rock bottom I know which one I'd prefer. 

I don't think we can lose the trickery of Mahrez and the strength of Jeff Schlupp and hope to replace either of these with Albrighton. Unless he really steps up, he's shown himself to be a very average Premiership footballer.

I'll be surprised if we don't start to recruit one or two new players very soon.

I don't think we can lose the trickery of Mahrez and the strength of Jeff Schlupp and hope to replace either of these with Albrighton. Unless he really steps up, he's shown himself to be a very average Premiership footballer.

I'll be surprised if we don't start to recruit one or two new players very soon.

That's a good thing surely lol, I'd love a team full of very average Prem footballers, at least then we'd be a very average Prem team not a terrible one,  given the team are mostly are not good enough Premiership footballers he'd be a revelation! No reason why he can't come in and do a job at all. Although wouldn't be adverse to getting a winger in as he can't replace them both. 

It's second rate football in dangerous countries don't get why people would leave a premiership season for the this shower of fuukkkin shite cup

Without this, dickhead,..There wouldnt have been the improvement of skills and performances seen over the last 25 years from these players, who have gave us great moments around the top leagues in the World.

Today The AFCON is as good as our International European championship.

Some great players have adhorned our PL and have been great successes coming from the AFCON nations.

Now Dont ask!! Just do some homework.

That's a good thing surely lol, I'd love a team full of very average Prem footballers, at least then we'd be a very average Prem team not a terrible one,  given the team are mostly are not good enough Premiership footballers he'd be a revelation! No reason why he can't come in and do a job at all. Although wouldn't be adverse to getting a winger in as he can't replace them both. 

And he was so good that they bust a gut to keep him.....didn't they?? No-one is saying he doesn't have talent but thus far he has shown absolutely nothing (In an LCFC shirt which is what matters) and I do mean nothing at all, to suggest that he can be the creative force that Mahrez has been developing into. And given their relative experience, you could argue that Albrighton should be keeping Mahrez out the side, not vice versa.

And he was so good that they bust a gut to keep him.....didn't they?? No-one is saying he doesn't have talent but thus far he has shown absolutely nothing (In an LCFC shirt which is what matters) and I do mean nothing at all, to suggest that he can be the creative force that Mahrez has been developing into. And given their relative experience, you could argue that Albrighton should be keeping Mahrez out the side, not vice versa.

For four years yes he was given several contract extensions, and if I'm not mistaken he was given a contract extension at Villa we just offered more than they were willing to. Which would make us not giving him a chance even more bizarre. 

Hate that attitude, no it is not just his contribution in a LCFC player that matters, for a start off he has hardly played, this is hardly his fault is it, to say his chances have been limited is somewhat an understatement. 

I am not suggesting he is going to be as good as Mahrez am I lol. He's been a decent Premeir League player for years I view him as adequate short term cover given we're losing two wingers for five weeks! Realistically we aren't going to externally replace both. If he isn't going to be used god knows why he is here because apparently his pay packed it not a light one. 

Albrighton was ok for most of his brief sub appearances although I remember him being ineffective when he got a start but we were messing about with the formation at the time. 

Whichever way you look at it we are going to lose out big time. The last 6 games or so Schlupp and Mahrez have been making significant contributions with mostly 7 and above ratings, have 5 goals and a lot of our assists between them, Mahrez has been our best player and Schlupp is in form.

We had a 4-5 game spell where Nigel played without wide midfielders at all (probably his biggest mistake) Apart from that Mahrez has simply kept Albrighton out of the side.

Ben Hamer was getting slagged off "rubbish in pre season" "rubbish in the warm up" "rubbish against Shrewsbury" "lucky against Stoke" yet he's been just as good as Schmeichel and I wouldn't drop him now.

Knockeart and Albrighton can come in but they are 6/10 players and not match winners. Both Schlupp and Mahrez can beat players and that creates openings for us, we aren't really good enough to dominate possession so we need these players.

For four years yes he was given several contract extensions, and if I'm not mistaken he was given a contract extension at Villa we just offered more than they were willing to. Which would make us not giving him a chance even more bizarre. 

Hate that attitude, no it is not just his contribution in a LCFC player that matters, for a start off he has hardly played, this is hardly his fault is it, to say his chances have been limited is somewhat an understatement. 

I am not suggesting he is going to be as good as Mahrez am I lol. He's been a decent Premeir League player for years I view him as adequate short term cover given we're losing two wingers for five weeks! Realistically we aren't going to externally replace both. If he isn't going to be used god knows why he is here because apparently his pay packed it not a light one. 

The facts show (if you trust Wikipedia) that he has played 80-odd times for Villa since making his debut in 2009. That doesn't suggest a player whose performances demanded regular selection. He scored seven goals. So not prolific then. So I'm not being narrow-minded, I'm just saying that in a fairly mundane Villa team he never stood out as exceptional, so what matters now is what he does now. I've seen him a few times for us and I think he's lightweight, lacks positional sense and make-a-difference pace. His crossing technique is impressive and I don't doubt he poses a threat in that respect but before that becomes effective you have to be a) in a good position to cross and b) have players in the box to aim for.  I really don't go in for criticising players and I hope it does work out for him but I fear his impact will be miniscule. I would be delighted to be wrong.   

As bad as the timing is now, it could be worse they will be missing a few big games, but also some cup games and possibly a few unwinnable games too. I think our season will be defined by our last 10 games when we have none of the big guns and not in January.

Archived