Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

AFCON

When are FIFA actually going to do something about this?

Aside from the fact the quality is so bad it's offensive why do they hold it every two years? South America was asked to come into line, why not Africa?

Surely the it's too hot in the summer argument is also now redundant given they gave a World Cup to Qatar?

It's intolerable when we have to lose key players to this.

The racism card would no doubt be whipped straight out.

And if not, would you be happy to lose all this talent away from all european teams Leagues.

BY N BY, there is no such thing as the 3rd world.

My cup or cups are FA, Europeanchampionship, and World cup.

Worked and lived in Africa, but has my ancestory is Norman-Saxon no connections whatsoever with the lands of Human origin. SO I wouldnt and cant qualify for title Mr Africa.

Even if I had relations at Rorke's Drift, or Stanley Bakers/Michael Caine lookalikes.

I hate to be a pedant, but unless you're actually a dog or something...

It's played in the winter so no competition with Olympics, Euro, etc. Also most of Africa is really hot in the summer, unbearably so. Two years time span is for the development of African football, mostly the infrastructure. Also, 4 years is a long time, and some of us like int'l football over club football.

As more and more African players play in Europe this debate will re-occur. Don't think there's a right answer because here are advantages to both sides of the argument. But trust me no one in Africa gives a damn if European clubs are losing their best players.  

It's played in the winter so no competition with Olympics, Euro, etc. Also most of Africa is really hot in the summer, unbearably so. Two years time span is for the development of African football, mostly the infrastructure. Also, 4 years is a long time, and some of us like int'l football over club football.

As more and more African players play in Europe this debate will re-occur. Don't think there's a right answer because here are advantages to both sides of the argument. But trust me no one in Africa gives a damn if European clubs are losing their best players.

A bit of a random question but are there any black Algerians/Moroccans/Tunisians?

A bit of a random question but are there any black Algerians/Moroccans/Tunisians?

Yessir. We have really white people (Zidane) and really black people and everything in between too. Most in Algeria live in the Sahara down south. Radhi Jaidi's a good Premier League example. Yacine Brahimi's half-black, his pops is from El Golea. Lots of examples. 

How much are footballers from North Africa looking forward to playing in the equatorial heat and humidity, though?

I can see why African players don't fancy it in the snow, but what about this AFCON - can they cope?

How much are footballers from North Africa looking forward to playing in the equatorial heat and humidity, though?

I can see why African players don't fancy it in the snow, but what about this AFCON - can they cope?

Yeah it's not ideal, but much better than 40 degree heat of summers. Morocco would have had nice temperate weather, shame they pulled out. Also have to keep in mind that while some nations, like Algeria, are composed of many European born players, most players were born and raised in Africa and are therefore perfectly acclimatized. Might actually be more comfortable in 30 degrees of Malabo than snow in London.

Yessir. We have really white people (Zidane) and really black people and everything in between too. Most in Algeria live in the Sahara down south. Radhi Jaidi's a good Premier League example. Yacine Brahimi's half-black, his pops is from El Golea. Lots of examples.

I never realised Jaidi was Algerian, thanks

Have squads been announced yet?

Nope. I suppose that will be taken care of at the end of this week/the start of next week, as most teams are still tweaking here and there before, during and after training camp.

There's also one or two friendlies scheduled for each team in the days leading up to the AFCON.

Yeah every squad's been announced but Equatorial Guinea who fired their coach and didn't hire a proper replacement until a few days ago. Only a handful are final squads though, most are provisional. Today (January 7th) is the day everyone has to hand in final 23 man squads. 

@Ashley The Algerian lads were wrong. He's in Algiers at training camp. His last match was Newcastle.

Yeah every squad's been announced but Equatorial Guinea who fired their coach and didn't hire a proper replacement until a few days ago. Only a handful are final squads though, most are provisional. Today (January 7th) is the day everyone has to hand in final 23 man squads.

@Ashley The Algerian lads were wrong. He's in Algiers at training camp. His last match was Newcastle.

Ok thanks mate

Love the AFCON. Even more so this year with Mahrez and Schluup. Does anyone know the situation with Schluup? did he pick up an injury last game im sure i read that somewhere?

He's been asked to go to Spain and join the national team's training camp for an injury report and some medical exams - he should arrive there today (Wednesday):

http://www.ghanafa.org/pages/blackstars/201501/10006.php

Although they're in the toughest group, I think Algeria could go all the way. They have a bunch of quality players - Faouzi Ghoulam, Aïssa Mandi, Sofiane Feghouli, Saphir Taïder, Yacine Brahimi, Nabil Bentaleb, Riyad Mahrez, Ryad Boudebouz, Ishak Belfodil & Islam Slimani.

If they play like they did in the WC, they could surprise a few

He's been asked to go to Spain and join the national team's training camp for an injury report and some medical exams - he should arrive there today (Wednesday):

http://www.ghanafa.org/pages/blackstars/201501/10006.php

Thanks Prussian. Really hope he shakes his injury and plays in the tournament. Would love to see Ghana vs Algeria and Schluup vs Mahrez.

Guest MattP

No doubt what I want. No offence but both knocked out straight away and our best players back fighting to help Leicester City in the Premier League.

If we hadn't dragged Mahrez out of Ligue 2 Algeria wouldn't have heard of him, now we have to pay his wages and lose him in the most crucial parts of our season.

Although they're in the toughest group, I think Algeria could go all the way. They have a bunch of quality players - Faouzi Ghoulam, Aïssa Mandi, Sofiane Feghouli, Saphir Taïder, Yacine Brahimi, Nabil Bentaleb, Riyad Mahrez, Ryad Boudebouz, Ishak Belfodil & Islam Slimani.

If they play like they did in the WC, they could surprise a few

It won't be a surprise. They are currently the strongest African side (certainly most in form). 

Archived