Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

I'll also be in Budapest and then Munich in July, so I'd also appreciate any recommendations for mid-range places to stay.

Then I've got a week in the Scottish highlands in September, feels like my first 'grown-up' holiday.

I'm off to Budapest at the end of June for a week. Can't wait, looks brilliant.

Went Vegas with my girlfriend last month absouletly loved it. Definitely recommend watching a show preferably a Cirque production.

Tried getting tickets for Britney Spears but they had sold out. If you like your shopping and designer gear get a taxi to North premium outlet cost you around $25 depending on what hotel you are staying in.

My sister's been twice and given me plenty of ideas of what to do. All over the outlet....my suitcase will be half empty on the flight over there lol

Budapest is terrific. Do the baths, the bars and the birds imo. All the advice you need.

goin Brussels tomorrow. Beers n Belgian buns an Belgian chocolate and mmmhm

Edited by ScouseFox

Off to Vegas with the missus next month :celebrate:

Main aim is not to get hammered and wake up the next morning married lol

Helicopter flight to the Grand Canyon highly recommended. If you like Beatles music go and see 'Love', it was incredible when I went with the Mrs.

Inside of the Venetian is mind boggling, didn't even realise I was still inside wandering through there.

I was a bit disappointed with the rest of it... But I did spend three days in bed through food poisoning!

Helicopter flight to the Grand Canyon highly recommended. If you like Beatles music go and see 'Love', it was incredible when I went with the Mrs.

Inside of the Venetian is mind boggling, didn't even realise I was still inside wandering through there.

I was a bit disappointed with the rest of it... But I did spend three days in bed through food poisoning!

Yeah we're going to book the helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam & Vegas strip.

Haha yeah so I've heard. Really looking forward to it. 

I've been told so many places to go by so many different people, but once we're there I'll probably forget what I've been told lol

Budapest is terrific. Do the baths, the bars and the birds imo. All the advice you need.

goin Brussels tomorrow. Beers n Belgian buns an Belgian chocolate and mmmhm

Definitely going to the baths and the Champagne cruise on the Danube. Any bars/clubs in particular you'd recommend?

Definitely going to the baths and the Champagne cruise on the Danube. Any bars/clubs in particular you'd recommend?

I can't remember any names of them haha. There was a rooftop one that was quite cool at night like.

Got back from Brussels just before. Great beers. Mad place.

There is one place I would like to go if for only the reason it is STP related. It is England and a village in Yorkshire Huby which has a pub called The Mended Drum. For Terry Pratchett fans  they will know it as an inn featured in the  Discworld books with the same name. The village I believe is near Harrogate. I know nothing as to how to get there or if there is railway or coach link from Leicester or even if there are B&B or  hotels available.

ATM I cannot even think about holidaying abroad so a few days break in England somewhere is the best that I can do.The idea is just a whim. I tend to do things on a  sudden impulse. Nothing may come of it or I may book somewhere tomorrow.

There is one place I would like to go if for only the reason it is STP related. It is England and a village in Yorkshire Huby which has a pub called The Mended Drum. For Terry Pratchett fans they will know it as an inn featured in the Discworld books with the same name. The village I believe is near Harrogate. I know nothing as to how to get there or if there is railway or coach link from Leicester or even if there are B&B or hotels available.

ATM I cannot even think about holidaying abroad so a few days break in England somewhere is the best that I can do.The idea is just a whim. I tend to do things on a sudden impulse. Nothing may come of it or I may book somewhere tomorrow.

Just had a quick look for you on prices and how to get there etc. You can go Leicester > Sheffield > Leeds > Weeton, that will take 2 hours 50. Then jump on a bus and that takes you directly to Huby which is around 40 minutes away.

Standard double room in Burn Hall hotel for 3 nights £180. Train price £53 return.

Just had a quick look for you on prices and how to get there etc. You can go Leicester > Sheffield > Leeds > Weeton, that will take 2 hours 50. Then jump on a bus and that takes you directly to Huby which is around 40 minutes away.

Standard double room in Burn Hall hotel for 3 nights £180. Train price £53 return.

Thanks. just been looking myself. Think that hotel was listed. Some places were listed at 450 but that was for longer  and did random dates which were full. would have to time the buses right. Probably best to contact their tourist office. There are a few . pubs B&B and hotels there. Not far from York as well which puts it in the tourist bracket. Seems an OK place for a break. Might be able to stretch to 5 days. With 3 two will be traveling.I'll see if there is a Huby bus timetable online then take it from there.

Well zaccording to the trains there is no station in Huby yet the bus timetable says it calls at Weeton station which is also marked as Huby. Iy must be on the outskirts like S  Wigston is to Leicester. Cant see it taking 40 minutes on the bus if that is so. Buses also go to Leeds.

Edited by Rincewind

My sister's been twice and given me plenty of ideas of what to do. All over the outlet....my suitcase will be half empty on the flight over there lol

Jump off the skytower in Vegas... its not quite bungee Jumping, but hell of a buzz and a great view from up there too. There is also a fun ride up there.

Not as many hotels in Huby  as I first thoughy. The Burns looks nice but I am not bothered about a place being upmarket. I only want a bed at night and maybe breakfast. At the drum they  sometimes have beer fests and just  missed one this weekend. Would have been a good time. Rooms fill up qick it seems. I can also go via Tork. They have a hourly bus service with more than one company serving Huby. Later in the year will do.

Anyone been to Rome and got any recommendations of places to visit. Obviously I know the usual stuff Colosseum, Pantheon, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Vatican City, Spanish Steps, but not sure if there is anything else worth a look... or shall I just wander about!! Got 3 and a half days to fill.

Trasteverde just south of the Vatican is worth a visit. Where a lot of the locals live, you will find quaint alley ways and some decent bars and restaurants well priced. First time we went there asked in a bar for a liqueur and a baileys for the wife, each of us got a half pint measure! Just poured it into a glass til it was full. That was a few years ago and they have moved with the times, but still worth a visit.

right, need to start planning our next weekend/long weekend away in europe. 

we've done; 

brussels, warsaw, budapest, amsterdam, berlin, split, zagreb, bratislava, prague and went skiing in bulgaria. preferably somewhere we can get to on ryanair/easyjet in a couple of hours for about 60 quid, somewhere either interesting or that has fit women and serves cheap beer. or a mix of all three. 

suggestions so far are romania, latvia or bosnia. anyone wanna suggest somewhere else or comment on them? will we die in any of them places just for being english and pretty and touching the ladies? and preferably no suggetions for places like paris, rome or barcelona. somewhere a bit more off the beaten track so to speak. 

Belgrade is a great city.

Bucharest is nice but a bit of a concrete jungle and no better than any other city for nightlife. Beautiful women though. Outside of Bucharest there are a couple of nice cities in Romania, Timisoara has a good student feel, some nice sites and more beautiful women.

Sarajevo in Bosnia is beautiful, the whole country is beautiful and the people very friendly but it's more a place for history and culture, there aren't loads of great bars (apologies if I've underestimated your interest in culture, Mr Scouse).

I've been to Riga, it's got a pretty centre. I'd go for Belgrade though. Go now before it gets super popular in a couple of years. Brilliant city.

Belgrade is a great city.

Bucharest is nice but a bit of a concrete jungle and no better than any other city for nightlife. Beautiful women though. Outside of Bucharest there are a couple of nice cities in Romania, Timisoara has a good student feel, some nice sites and more beautiful women.

Sarajevo in Bosnia is beautiful, the whole country is beautiful and the people very friendly but it's more a place for history and culture, there aren't loads of great bars (apologies if I've underestimated your interest in culture, Mr Scouse).

I've been to Riga, it's got a pretty centre. I'd go for Belgrade though. Go now before it gets super popular in a couple of years. Brilliant city.

lol absolutely not. something interesting to look at in the day is always quite a nice novelty but if it was one or t'other i'd rather be able to get fvcked for cheap and dance than see something someone built with their own hands in 89BC or something. 

interesting, hadn't really considered serbia. will throw it in as a suggestion. flights look a bit pricey though but they do to everywhere we're thinking of. think we've maxed out cheap and easy to get to europe and are gonna have to either fly from london or pay double what we'd want. or both. sarajevo was gonna be our first choice but the flights are closer to 200 quid than 50 which is a bit of a stretch for what is predominantly a bunch of students going on the piss for a weekend. riga seems like a good place to get drunk. 

have you been to everywhere in europe haha? 

we've done; 

brussels, warsaw, budapest, amsterdam, berlin, split, zagreb, bratislava, prague and went skiing in bulgaria. preferably somewhere we can get to on ryanair/easyjet in a couple of hours for about 60 quid, somewhere either interesting or that has fit women and serves cheap beer. or a mix of all three. 

suggestions so far are romania, latvia or bosnia. anyone wanna suggest somewhere else or comment on them? will we die in any of them places just for being english and pretty and touching the ladies? and preferably no suggetions for places like paris, rome or barcelona. somewhere a bit more off the beaten track so to speak. 

Austria? Reutte is a nice little (big) town.

lol absolutely not. something interesting to look at in the day is always quite a nice novelty but if it was one or t'other i'd rather be able to get fvcked for cheap and dance than see something someone built with their own hands in 89BC or something. 

interesting, hadn't really considered serbia. will throw it in as a suggestion. flights look a bit pricey though but they do to everywhere we're thinking of. think we've maxed out cheap and easy to get to europe and are gonna have to either fly from london or pay double what we'd want. or both. sarajevo was gonna be our first choice but the flights are closer to 200 quid than 50 which is a bit of a stretch for what is predominantly a bunch of students going on the piss for a weekend. riga seems like a good place to get drunk. 

have you been to everywhere in europe haha? 

Everywhere apart from Belarus.

If it's students on the piss then maybe not Sarajevo. You won't regret Belgrade, in the summer there are 'beach' parties on the danube. I found Riga a bit stag-doey and menacing personally. Some people I know loved it though. If you go Riga there's a rather chaotic hostel I could recommend.

Edited by bovril

we've done; 

How about Lithuania in summer? Or another city in Belgium, such as Bruges? I'd also recommend Vienna. Probably too high-profile for your liking, but a very lovable city.