Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

yeah man giz some tips. getting there friday night, debating a trip to brugges saturday afternoon, back to brussels to get on it, then go somewhere to be hungover sunday lunchtime before coming home. 

wanna give us the best bar/pub to drink in in the day/early evening, the best beer to have a lot of and the best place to eat, then the best place to still be at about 5 am? anything else useful too. finners/anyone else who has probably been and is slightly cool feel free to join in x 

Poechenellekelder just across the road from the Mannekin Pis is a top shout, the decoration is very... odd, and they have an extensive beer list.   Being across the road from a fountain of a pissing child seems to be an indicator of a good bar - Delirium has a little girl permanently squatting in the alley outside of it, rarely see it switched on though.  Generally I'd say start off at Celtica for the cheap beers and football on the telly (they always show the Friday matches in the Championship), then move onto Delirium before the live music starts, unless you're into that sort of thing.  Food wise I'd say you have to get yourself at least one durum while you're here - make sure it's a place that puts chip in it though, some of them are a bit tight-fisted, particularly in Brussels centre.

I've just been looking at Bruges for October, it's nearly 60 miles from the airport. How much are the transfers?

I've just come back from Bruges. If you fly Ryanair it will be to chareloroi airport. We got the coach from the airport into Brussels, think it's about 14 euro per person.

Then the train to Bruges which also was 14 euro person each way.

• Like 1

Booked 2 nights at the Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam for me & the missus at the end of June.  5* hotel overlooking Dam Square.  For someone who has been to Amsterdam about 10 times & stayed in some right shitholes (even camped a few times) I can't believe it & especially for the price.

I have walked past the Krasnapolsky on the way back to my dosshole a hundred times & wished I was staying there.  Anyone who's been to The Dam will know the hotel & have probably thought the same.

£140 each, including flight from Luton.

I wasn't sure it was her cup of tea but says she's well up for a bit of 'experimenting'.  I asked if she was bringing any back, because I always lose my bottle........she said "too right!!"  :wub:

I hope she doesn't mind if I keep on walking when she gets stopped at customs.

Poechenellekelder just across the road from the Mannekin Pis is a top shout, the decoration is very... odd, and they have an extensive beer list.   Being across the road from a fountain of a pissing child seems to be an indicator of a good bar - Delirium has a little girl permanently squatting in the alley outside of it, rarely see it switched on though.  Generally I'd say start off at Celtica for the cheap beers and football on the telly (they always show the Friday matches in the Championship), then move onto Delirium before the live music starts, unless you're into that sort of thing.  Food wise I'd say you have to get yourself at least one durum while you're here - make sure it's a place that puts chip in it though, some of them are a bit tight-fisted, particularly in Brussels centre.

oh man una says delirium then celtica carl the llama says celtica then delirium who to trust both pretty cool guys. 

a durum looks a lot like a gyros in greece an they are a delight especially when drunk so might go hemgies for a burger then eat durums the rest of the weekend mmmhm 

oh man una says delirium then celtica carl the llama says celtica then delirium who to trust both pretty cool guys. 

a durum looks a lot like a gyros in greece an they are a delight especially when drunk so might go hemgies for a burger then eat durums the rest of the weekend mmmhm 

Celtia have a happy hour 12 till 12 so it is good to go there in the afternoon as like Carl says they show footy etc. Then go back there at about 2/3am.

Also Poechenellekelder  is a great shout, that was the first bar we went in and had an amazing spaghetti bolognese for like 5 euros and they pour/serve the beers in different ways depending on each one.

Celtia have a happy hour 12 till 12 so it is good to go there in the afternoon as like Carl says they show footy etc. Then go back there at about 2/3am.

Also Poechenellekelder  is a great shout, that was the first bar we went in and had an amazing spaghetti bolognese for like 5 euros and they pour/serve the beers in different ways depending on each one.

Never actually tried their food but a while back I saw them at the top of a list of restaurants on a travel website whose name escapes me right now.  Never actually knew they did food til I saw it, and even then I just assumed it was some sort of error.  Will definitely have to make more of an effort to check their food out now that I have a verified approval.

Wat.  There's literally 3 lines to choose from.

I've been to Brussels a number of times (though not for a couple of years) and found the subway system pretty easy to use.  Which is good for me as I get lost easily.  My only regret is that they've changed it from an honesty system where there were no barriers and you were just expected to buy a ticket to one where you have to pay to get in.  They also used to let you buy tickets for multiple uses which saved some time.

I've been to Brussels a number of times (though not for a couple of years) and found the subway system pretty easy to use.  Which is good for me as I get lost easily.  My only regret is that they've changed it from an honesty system where there were no barriers and you were just expected to buy a ticket to one where you have to pay to get in.  They also used to let you buy tickets for multiple uses which saved some time.

It's still the same old system as long as you get on at a stop without barriers (getting fewer and fewer it's true), as the exit barriers in all the stations let everyone through without checking for tickets.

I wanted to change at a station to get on another line, but there wasn't any bloody signs to follow to find it.

Lamby who lives in London finds a 3 line transport system confusing lol

After living in London you really should find most public transport pretty easy to navigate. I certainly did after living there for several years

Mauritius in June with a few nights in Dubai on the way back. Can't wait!

I've just booked Mauritius for December! Looks stunning

Mauritius is beautiful, I've been there a couple of times.  Rainy season is December to April so if you miss that you should be OK.

There are many hotels that have bought up swathes of beach area adjoining their establishments but there are also plenty of public beaches.  English is widely spoken in most areas especially the towns on the coast which makes life really easy.  There are numerous restaurants, you don't have to stick to the hotels to get a good meal, I especially enjoyed the seafood.  If you go self catering you can even buy fish from the fishermen in some areas.

The island has some great beaches and it's also good for scuba in some locations or at least a trip in a glass bottomed boat.

There's not a huge amount of nightlife outside the hotels and restaurants, although I did once find a nightclub in Grande Baie (second largest town on the island after Port Louis, it had a small sign on the door 'Couples Only').

It's really worth hiring a car and seeing the island, however there is also a decent bus service.  I found Belle Mare on the east coast particularly nice, I went there in August (middle of winter, only 25 degrees) and it was pretty empty in mid-week.  I also like Trou au Biches and Flic en Flac on the west coast.  It only takes about 1.5 hours to drive on the 'motorway (two lanes) from the south east to the north-west of the island.

At the weekend the beaches fill up as everyone heads for them, it's a real social thing there.

Enjoy your holidays!