Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Mauritius is beautiful, I've been there a couple of times. Rainy season is December to April so if you miss that you should be OK.

There are many hotels that have bought up swathes of beach area adjoining their establishments but there are also plenty of public beaches. English is widely spoken in most areas especially the towns on the coast which makes life really easy. There are numerous restaurants, you don't have to stick to the hotels to get a good meal, I especially enjoyed the seafood. If you go self catering you can even buy fish from the fishermen in some areas.

The island has some great beaches and it's also good for scuba in some locations or at least a trip in a glass bottomed boat.

There's not a huge amount of nightlife outside the hotels and restaurants, although I did once find a nightclub in Grande Baie (second largest town on the island after Port Louis, it had a small sign on the door 'Couples Only').

It's really worth hiring a car and seeing the island, however there is also a decent bus service. I found Belle Mare on the east coast particularly nice, I went there in August (middle of winter, only 25 degrees) and it was pretty empty in mid-week. I also like Trou au Biches and Flic en Flac on the west coast. It only takes about 1.5 hours to drive on the 'motorway (two lanes) from the south east to the north-west of the island.

At the weekend the beaches fill up as everyone heads for them, it's a real social thing there.

Enjoy your holidays!

Cheers for the Info. Yeah I saw it can rain a bit in December but short bursts by the looks of it. I'm definitely getting a hire car and driving around the island and probably going to learn to scuba dive.

I'm staying on the west coast near Grand Baia, looking forward to it. I'm not too fused about nightlife to be honest, bit of an old fart lol

Edited by Bergamo_Fox

Lamby who lives in London finds a 3 line transport system confusing lol

After living in London you really should find most public transport pretty easy to navigate. I certainly did after living there for several years

There were no signs!

I was looking for the colours lol It's the simple way we have here so they should copy it!

Mate I can think of one stop where you might get confused and only because it's a fvcking building site, as it has been for the best part of a decade (Arts Loi/Kunst Wet).

Brussels.gif

Ignore the 3 and 4 which are tram lines that often get bunched in with the metro system for the connections they provide, and what you have there is a choice between 3 lines, one of which is divided into 2 for the sake of having a bit of line that reaches from town to the stadium and a few bits in-between (2&6).  The lines used to be called 1a, 1b, and 2 for goodness sake.

Thinking about booking Cancun with some mates for spring break next year, anybody been?

Yes mate. It's massively cheesy and americanised, but if you want to get hammered and be surrounded by sensational American birds then it's a great place to get smashed.

Wanted to go from Midi to Veeywede, got lost at De Brouckere.

So you took an overground tram for 4 stops from Midi to De Brouckere to then travel 9 stops, instead of getting a metro for 3 stops to Weststation and then changing to another metro for a further 4.  Do you want to just plan your journeys ahead in future and maybe stop digging in the present? (I think that would be a good idea)

So you took an overground tram for 4 stops from Midi to De Brouckere to then travel 9 stops, instead of getting a metro for 3 stops to Weststation and then changing to another metro for a further 4.  Do you want to just plan your journeys ahead in future and maybe stop digging in the present? (I think that would be a good idea)

I got a tram thing first ;) I only planned it when I got to the bloody station!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Dubrovnik. Fvcking love the place to bits and can't wait to go back. Perfect mix of culture, history, scenery, beaches and weather for me. Only regret is didn't make it over the border to Bosnia but will definitely do a day trip to Mostar next time.

Did Dubrovnik last year and Istria the year before, really like Croatia and even better now we have signed Kram.

Yep. Though he's a Zagreb lad and saw plenty of Hajduk Split graffiti around Dubrovnik (plus some of the club's own brand of wine which I brought back lol) so not sure how popular he is in the south of the country!

Yep. Though he's a Zagreb lad and saw plenty of Hajduk Split graffiti around Dubrovnik (plus some of the club's own brand of wine which I brought back lol) so not sure how popular he is in the south of the country!

Acutally, Dubrovnik (and Sibenik) are the only two places in Dalmatia (from Zadar to the border with Montenergo) that have some Dinamo supporters. 95% in the south is Hajduk.

Acutally, Dubrovnik (and Sibenik) are the only two places in Dalmatia (from Zadar to the border with Montenergo) that have some Dinamo supporters. 95% in the south is Hajduk.

Interesting. Like I say, fair bit of Hajduk artwork knocking about. Barely saw any football-related stickers over there mind. Dubrovnik council obviously do a sterling job of keeping everywhere clean and "vandalism" free.

Went to Hamburg with the gf a few days back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can't but recommend the Knuth café in Altona - what a place! And then the breakfast... Out of this world.

My next holidays will consist of a short trip to the Leicester area. lol