Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
knowf***all

Premier league..... aint all that

Like last year when Atletico won it.

Lets not pretend the Premier League is very open either. Only one of four sides will realistically win it and even two of those are very highly unlikely to.

That second bit in bold too is a total myth. Real Sociedad beat Real Madrid 4-2 this season after trailing 0-2.

Now I'm not trying to downplay what we did in that Man Utd game, it was absolutely amazing, but that wasn't down to it being in the Premier League, it can happen in any league.

Atletico are the only exception to the barca real dominance over the last 10 seasons. But the point is these two teams are miles ahead of everyone else in their own league. That's what makes it uncompetitive. 

Sociedad were in the CL this year, and they aren't a bad side at all. So it's not a massive shock. What makes this league the best is that the points difference between the teams isn't so vast. And especially in the relegation scrap there are usually at least 6/7 teams involved at this stage of the season. My argument isn't about the quality of the teams on the PL, but the strength of the league. Barca and Madrid are miles ahead of City and Chelsea, but that is what makes their league a poorer league to watch. Shocks will happen in all leagues, but in the PL you hardly get a 5-0 or a 6-0 whitewash which seems to happen a lot in Spain.

If you are in the championship, you are not doing well.

There's always League One or Two to fall back onto, of course.

For a club of our stature, performing poorly in the Championship would be regarded as a major disappointment. Leicester City have always been a yo-yo club, stuck in limbo somewhere in between the top flight and the league below. Let's not kid ourselves that we belong to the Premier League just because.

With all the infrastructure and the fanbase in place, we have great potential to become a decent PL outfit in the near future. But that takes time - obviously, it'd be great if we could cement our place in the top flight at the first time of asking, but if this masterplan needs a couple of more seasons a league below, so be it.

Like last year when Atletico won it.

Lets not pretend the Premier League is very open either. Only one of four sides will realistically win it and even two of those are very highly unlikely to.

That second bit in bold too is a total myth. Real Sociedad beat Real Madrid 4-2 this season after trailing 0-2.

Now I'm not trying to downplay what we did in that Man Utd game, it was absolutely amazing, but that wasn't down to it being in the Premier League, it can happen in any league.

Exactly. It's no coincidence that the two teams going for the title nowadays are the two bankrolled teams with the ability to buy any player they want. We've got so many big teams in this Country - the likes of Everton, Tottenham, Villa etc - who'll never win the top flight again while it remains as it is.

Personally I've really enjoyed it in spite of the results. Seeing our lads coming up against some of the world's best players. Even if the games haven't necessarily been of a higher quality (though they usually are of a higher quality), they're always a lot more intense. Championship is like a Sunday league kick about in comparison. Yes you can get some great games in the championship but there's no end of dross as well. In the premiership every game is interesting in one way or another.

I'm not sure I'd want Aston Villa levels of premier league monotony but I don't think we have to worry about that. We'll be back in the championship is five short months.

The Aguero last minute winner to win the title

The Gerrard slip to lose the title last year

The great escapes of Wigan from relegation

Even us, under MON where we finished in the top half, some have mentioned to be our greatest ever period

West Brom last day escape despite being bottom in 04/05

I'm sure there are more moments, but I have not seen any other league provide more drama and entertainment. Think as well, the top English clubs are nowhere near as good as the Spanish clubs thus it makes our league more competitive. The reason our fans are complaining about the PL, is because we are doing badly this year. If we were around mid-table such threads wouldn't even come up. Don't blame the league, but the team.

Even us, under MON where we finished in the top half, some have mentioned to be our greatest ever period

I'm sure there are more moments, but I have not seen any other league provide more drama and entertainment. Think as well, the top English clubs are nowhere near as good as the Spanish clubs thus it makes our league more competitive. The reason our fans are complaining about the PL, is because we are doing badly this year. If we were around mid-table such threads wouldn't even come up. Don't blame the league, but the team.

It's all opinion of course and fair play you like it but for me I'd like to have seen English football when there was no Premier League. It was far more competitive minus all this branding, minus Sky and their money. Look at Nottingham Forest and Liverpool for example - fair play they were both managed by geniuses when it happened - two clubs who got promoted from the second division and within two years they were champions of England. Doesn't that sound/look better to you? 

We've got so many big teams in this Country. Even in the football league, look at the rich history of the likes of Huddersfield and Wolves. But without the money these teams will never win the top flight again, or even challenge for it. And this is why we'll never see our club even get near the top four of the Premier League. It's the same every year, Chelsea and Manchester City. Even Liverpool have never won the division and they're the biggest club in England (along with Manchester United). Arsenal are the best Premier League side for me, that period between 97 and 04 was brilliant, but even they look miles off these days.

I think it was Brian Clough who said the Premier League would ruin football and that statement was right. It's even took something away from the two domestic trophies.

Don't get me wrong, we've seen a lot of special moments and we've seen some special players - the likes of Le Tissier, Suarez, Bergkamp - but the first division would have provided this too. And maybe even more. Tottenham, quite rightly a big club, are playing in the League Cup final tomorrow. I hope they win it because they won't ever get near winning the top flight again.

It's all opinion of course and fair play you like it but for me I'd like to have seen English football when there was no Premier League. It was far more competitive minus all this branding, minus Sky and their money. Look at Nottingham Forest and Liverpool for example - fair play they were both managed by geniuses when it happened - two clubs who got promoted from the second division and within two years they were champions of England. Doesn't that sound/look better to you? 

We've got so many big teams in this Country. Even in the football league, look at the rich history of the likes of Huddersfield and Wolves. But without the money these teams will never win the top flight again, or even challenge for it. And this is why we'll never see our club even get near the top four of the Premier League. It's the same every year, Chelsea and Manchester City. Even Liverpool have never won the division and they're the biggest club in England (along with Manchester United). Arsenal are the best Premier League side for me, that period between 97 and 04 was brilliant, but even they look miles off these days.

I think it was Brian Clough who said the Premier League would ruin football and that statement was right. It's even took something away from the two domestic trophies.

Don't get me wrong, we've seen a lot of special moments and we've seen some special players - the likes of Le Tissier, Suarez, Bergkamp - but the first division would have provided this too. And maybe even more. Tottenham, quite rightly a big club, are playing in the League Cup final tomorrow. I hope they win it because they won't ever get near winning the top flight again.

Fair enough, but I think that's more an argument for football in general. You can know go anywhere in the world and see literally every match. It may have made all the leagues more uncompetitive, by making the bigger teams bigger. However, I think it's more appropriate to compare across all the top divisions in all the countries, at the same time. The PL stands out for me, over La Liga and Serie A. It's definitely more competitive, not just in terms of who wins the title but also who gets relegated. People had Southampton to struggle, yet they are in and around a CL place. In other leagues, you can almost predict the league table. 

I personally think football is better becuase it is without a doubt harder to be in the PL then ever before, partly because of the money, so if we could do something special like finishing in Europe one season it would make the experience more satisfying. The Forest and Liverpool examples are great, but in a cynical way doesn't that show you the weakness of the league back then. If we could ever replicate that it would be without a doubt more satisfying in the modern day, where you have to break through the monopoly of the big four, over 40 years ago. It's a bigger challenge and we should embrace that. 

Finally, we may have never seen the likes of Suarez and Bergkamp in our league had it not been for the rebranding of the PL. The money will attract the best players from along the globe to play in our division. The likes of Aguero, Silva, Fabregas, Costa...etc probably wouldn't have come here if it weren't for the money.

Celebration of winning is most certainly hollow when youre playing in a league below where you should be. Weve got the resources, facilities and fan base here to have a top flight club, not one where were happy to be in the Championship and god forbid one where we are celebrating beating Leyton Orient in a 1/3 empty stadium.

How do you draw the conclusion im not a Leicester fan? did you want to make this some sort of dick measuring contest about whos the bigger fan?

The football is worse in the Championship, I dont know how you can argue it isnt. Technically, tactically, individual players, its worse.

Explain this: You say you "dont care what division we are in as long as we are doing well"....so life stops for you at Premier League promotion then like other people because in your eyes, there is nowhere else to go. So you might as well be relegated again so you can have another go at promotion........oh wait were in the Premier League, lets go back down then.

All it boils down to is a "coolness" factor that you and a few others think its a badge of honour that anything Premier League is shit, and that all football is to you is standing in the rain and the cold in League 1 and pretending its some kind of achievement that a club a decade previous that was playing at Wembley almost every other year BY THE WAY can now flat track bully Colchester and Rochdale. And you do this because you have no ambition yourself, yet you expect the players to have promotion aspirations.

What a forest/Leeds type dick of a comment. You should be where your results take you. Last season we earned enough points to be in the prem this season, now we look like we could be in the championship next season. Why you think we deserve to be in a higher league than Leeds/Sheffield/Birmingham/ many others is funny!

Clearly - unlike you - I like to Watch City, I REALLY don't give a **** if it's against West Brom or against Bristol. TBH I like to see us playing Forest and Derby above all other teams and I'd like that if we were in the Prem or the First. Probably unlike you, I don't watch La liga games or Manure and Arsenal games when we're not in their division. I like football at all levels and particularly like lower level football without the prima donna shit.

If anyone seems to like the "coolness" badge it's you and needing to be in the Prem.

You fool. I created a company and turned it into a millon pound turnover within 4 years and then sold it - over 20 years ago, I now live in a very large house looking over the sea in the SW France. WTF have you done with your ambition?

You wouldnt be hating the Premier League if we were doing well then, because you "dont care what league were in if were doing well"

But as were going down, you "hate" the Premier League and want to laugh at it.

Youre like the little kid who had a mardy and took his ball home. Laughable.

It's amazing how you can tell me what I would or wouldn't be doing. I've followed the team long enough to know success in the top division. I watched bloomfields men in the 70's, Jocks babes , Martin's boys and every other Leicester team in between and after. I dislike the entire Prem ethos - it's terrible for football and for the football watching public. 

Maybe you are a little kid, I don't know but you sure seem to be the one with his prem dummy in his gob.

Alright, ill throw it out there:

For all the Premier League haters, what do you want for the future of Leicester City?

You really don't understand do you? do you have a PhD in dumb?

Just because some of us don't like the Prem doesn't mean we don't want Leicester to do as well as possible which presently means being in the prem. It doesn't exclude us from enjoying watching City in the Championship or in Europe. 

Personally I think the Prem will kill the other leagues in England unless a European league comes around and kills the Prem. 

I'll "throw it out there" 

For all you prem league lovers (well really only you) are you going to stop watching Leicester if they get relegated?

It must be really sad to be a person who only wants to support a team in the Prem and then the team they support lose and you complain ALL SEASON LONG!

Us doing the great escape in 15/16

Fingers crossed the big boys sod off to some European super league and then we can have more enjoyable games. Although some of the quality on show this season is of course higher, the quality of games has been much much lower. Players seem scared of making a mistake on the biggest stage and so we see cagey boring affairs. Palace, WBA, Villa, Sunderland, Stoke really haven't given me value for my season ticket.

People will argue it's because we're doing poorly yet those in 15th surely can't be having a whale of a time? They haven't won than much more than us.

There are some great things about the Prem and we should aspire to compete with the best but I won't be shedding any tears should we drop. Having the odd season there over the next few years is imperative given the money on offer as teams will get cut adrif, but the country's football as a whole would be better if that money were distributed down the leagues.

As others have said, if we were doing well this thread wouldn't exist. The Prem isn't the be all and end all but if you're not aspiring to be in the top league what's the point?

I don't support city dependant on what league we are in but I always want us to be the best we can be. Last season was probably my favourite supporting Leicester and it's been enjoyable playing against the big boys and not rolling over for them. Next season will be interesting no matter where we are

I've never understood the mentality of a football supporter who wouldn't want their team to aspire to the highest possible level, otherwise what is the point? In my lifetime I still dream of seeing my club win the FA Cup or the Premier League or indeed anything, it's always been for me seeing how high we can rise, whether it be short term or long term.

I have become disillusioned over the years with the way the game has changed (for the worse, no doubt about that) but I will always want us to aim as high as we possibly can, **** settling for mediocrity.

THIS

How ridiculous. We have people here on this thread, shrugging their shoulders at relegation - if not crying out for it!

These presumably are the same people who think NP should be kept on regardless of how piss poor we become.

That is a defeatist, negative attitude which I don't think is the way you drive a club, or anything for that matter, forward.

Acceptance of mediocrity should not be tolerated by players, owners, or fans alike in any form to my mind.

THIS

How ridiculous. We have people here on this thread, shrugging their shoulders at relegation - if not crying out for it!

These presumably are the same people who think NP should be kept on regardless of how piss poor we become.

That is a defeatist, negative attitude which I don't think is the way you drive a club, or anything for that matter, forward.

Acceptance of mediocrity should not be tolerated by players, owners, or fans alike in any form to my mind.

I don't think people are crying out for relegation but some of us are just as happy cheering on our team in the championship as they are in the Prem. Some of those "crying out for the prem" are the same who have been incessantly sad/mad/unhappy and bored us to death with negativism.

I admit that I'm happy to keep NP on if we are relegated and if we survive. I think stability in management is essential. New manager, new ideas, new players, upheaval and potential for a poor season in the championship.

Just in case you weren't aware none of us (as far as I know) are driving the club anywhere. We're just supporters who support or in some cases don't support the club.

Mediocrity is a large step above relegation, 10th - 12th under MoN should probably be described as mediocrity. I'd suggest that not many teams meet your criteria. Chelsea has won a cup and probably will win the league, so maybe 2 Prem teams will win something this year I guess the rest have failed IYO.

I think this thread was a genuine attempt to soften the blow if we are to get relegated. This wouldn't even be a debate if we were doing well this season. It's like applying for a job at a top company, and after failing the interview saying you don't want the job anyway. 

So after giving it the big un at the start of the season , talking about top half no problem, inviting Stoke fans to their own relegation party, now the Premier league is no big deal !!! Fact is your team is completely out of its depth and isn't anywhere near good enough to stay in it. Thanks for popping by as a really poor suppporting act who no-one will remember next season.

Ive said it over and over again. The Premier League isn't all that. Sure its nice to get the extra coverage and have a season playing the big teams with their big followings, but I wouldn't be overly arsed if we went down. The EPL is so overpriced and predictable. I don't see the fun in scrapping around for an occasional point and always expecting to lose. Personally, I find the thrill of the chase to promotion far more rewarding than actually being in there this season. Its just depressing.

How do you find it rewarding if you don't like the reward?

So after giving it the big un at the start of the season , talking about top half no problem, inviting Stoke fans to their own relegation party, now the Premier league is no big deal !!! Fact is your team is completely out of its depth and isn't anywhere near good enough to stay in it. Thanks for popping by as a really poor suppporting act who no-one will remember next season.

Who are you?

We obviously made an impression on you. Whoever you are.

Yes but this happens in every league all the time it just isn't reported as much.

What about us vs Forest or us Vs Watford or the same season weren't Brentford denied promotion a the death when they missed a penalty and the opposition went immediately down the other end and scored. Then there was the greatest escape of all when the Carlisle  goalkeeper scored a goal in the the 3rd? minute of stoppage time of the last match of the season to stop the falling out of the football league.

I'm just trying to be objective/ Let's look at another club, say Stoke. Now I'm not a fan but credit to them as a club they have managed to establish themself as a mid table side. But what is the summit of their ambition?. They may spout on about top 6 but the chance of it happening is slim to none. Each season they start the season looking to get enough points to survive and hope for a bit better. They make get to 8th but that's it. They are never going to win it, they might win a cup but even that is a long shot. That now is the reality for almost every fan of every club except about 4 or 5 sides. That in my opinion is a shame.

And that is my issue with the league. Nothing to do with not wanting to see my side in it but a realisation that all most clubs have to play for in it is not being relegated.

Has it helped the national sides to improve? No

The stadia are certainly of better quality, as are the pitches but I'd say that it about the only improvement. There's less violence, racism and sexism but that would have happened anyway as society evolved in these matters.

But it is very expensive for fans. Not just ticket prices but shirts and everything else that goes with it. I would say it has directly led to the financial hardships suffered by Leicester, Leeds, and Portsmouth (combined with some bad management of course).

Has the money trickled down to lower league clubs? Not really.

Are the players really any better than say in the 70s? I'm not sure. They may be from more exotic countries but look at our team. Given similar nutrition and training facilities of today's standards the likes of Worthington, Weller, Nish, Whitworth and Shilton would walk all over the current team. No doubt there are some great players but they're all pretty much in the top 4 sides.

Some rule changes could make all the difference but they will never happen. The bigger clubs will get richer and richer and continue to move away form the rest. Medium size clubs will risk everything to try and stay with them but will fail.  Even big clubs like Newcastle, Everton and Villa are struggling to get anywhere near the top teams. Just imagine what a fascinating league it could be if 12-15 sides had a genuine chance of winning the title rather than the same 4 clubs pretty much every season.

Imagine how some of the riduculous number of players on Chelsea's books might have made a real difference to clubs like ours if they had not been farmed out on loan to other European clubs just to stop them playing for other premier league sides.

It is this kind of thing that makes me dissillusioned with the game at this level not how we are doing. I'll always follow us whatever league we are in.

Archived