Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
roger the dodger

if only

Watched WBA v Southampton today as a neutral.

WBA's two best players by a mile were Lescott and Fletcher. Two players with premier league experience. Pulis it pains me to say got his tactics spot on, Southampton only had one real chance. Otherwise, WBA restricted them to long range efforts. It wasn't pretty, but it was far from the long ball 'rugby' style football he's sometimes accused of.

WBA's two best players by a mile were Lescott and Fletcher. Two players with premier league experience. Pulis it pains me to say got his tactics spot on, Southampton only had one real chance. Otherwise, WBA restricted them to long range efforts. It wasn't pretty, but it was far from the long ball 'rugby' style football he's sometimes accused of.

did he have a cap on?

Fair enough question, Roger. Personally I have no doubt we did. There's every likelihood WBA will stay up and a very good chance their supporters will get a trip to Wembley, for the semi's at least. Yes he wears a cap. He's also a very, very good manager. Personally, his sartorial sense [or lack of it] is really no concern to me. He wins matches and consistently gets average teams to punch above their weight.

Fair enough question, Roger. Personally I have no doubt we did. There's every likelihood WBA will stay up and a very good chance their supporters will get a trip to Wembley, for the semi's at least. Yes he wears a cap. He's also a very, very good manager. Personally, his sartorial sense [or lack of it] is really no concern to me. He wins matches and consistently gets average teams to punch above their weight.

dying at this haha well played man 

did he have a cap on?

Well?

This is the £12.99 question.....

Oh man great post.

Yes he wears a cap chill out.

If people do watch us we play well nearly every week. There's nothing the manager can do about individual mistakes and poor finishing. Nearly every pundit has said we are the most unlucky team in the PL, to be bottom atm, because we give everyone a game.

If people do watch us we play well nearly every week. There's nothing the manager can do about individual mistakes and poor finishing. Nearly every pundit has said we are the most unlucky team in the PL, to be bottom atm, because we give everyone a game.

Using that logic, you could say we were 'lucky' to win the Championship, which of course we were not. Over a season we were the best team and Pearson received much credit for that.

This season we have had misfortune along the way, but after this many games you are bottom because the team are not good enough. The manager has built this team over a period of time, with the goal of not being relegated. If we are relegated he has failed to do his job to the level required.

Even if we are bottom because of 'individual mistakes and poor finishing' as you say (which imo is only part of it, almost all can be put down to Nige's mismanagement) Pearson's job has been to assemble a squad of players who don't make the mistakes week after week, and if they do replace them with some else. He's hasn't done that - that's is his responsibility.

How anyone can suggest Pearson is blameless for the shambles we have is beyond belief.

We don't play well every week, we play just well enough to narrowly lose every week, which sometimes means playing absolutely shit.

Any team that can look like a top ten club at arsenal one week and then look like a league one club at Villa the week after has got problems of the type that a good manager would be able to fix.

There is also something very simple the manager can do about individual mistakes when they come from the same players week in week out, and if finishing is our problem then it doesn't speak much for Pearson's ability in the transfer market when he's spent nearly £20m on strikers.

Guest ttfn

Love how animated Tone gets on the touchline. He puts his hole body into it.

He certainly polo-rizes opinion.

I must admit it's very hard to argue with how good he is in these kind of situations. I'm just not convinced he's good enough to take a team any further than ever being midtable, I mean, could you imagine him doing this with Southampton?

Saying that, I think it's hard to really make a case for Pearson doing that either if this season is anything to go by.

Using that logic, you could say we were 'lucky' to win the Championship, which of course we were not. Over a season we were the best team and Pearson received much credit for that.

This season we have had misfortune along the way, but after this many games you are bottom because the team are not good enough. The manager has built this team over a period of time, with the goal of not being relegated. If we are relegated he has failed to do his job to the level required.

Even if we are bottom because of 'individual mistakes and poor finishing' as you say (which imo is only part of it, almost all can be put down to Nige's mismanagement) Pearson's job has been to assemble a squad of players who don't make the mistakes week after week, and if they do replace them with some else. He's hasn't done that - that's is his responsibility.

How anyone can suggest Pearson is blameless for the shambles we have is beyond belief.

Absolutely spot on.

Excuses...The season has been rife with them.

They ooze out of every pore.

No more excuses... We are either good enough or we ain't.

I’m beginning to wonder.

WBA 1 defeat in 11 since Pulis took over.

I noticed on Saturday as well, WBA played a 451, after an hour and 1-0 up Pulis takes off an attacker (Berahinho) and puts on a midfielder (Mulumbu). Then  with 2 minute left Pulis took off his other attacker (Ideye) and replaced him with a defender (Baird).

This contrasts Starkly with Pearson leaving 3 attackers on the pitch with 2 minutes left against Everton, and putting on Andy King.

Sigh.

Archived