Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

**** off Tadders.

:trumpet:

Bears have improved massively since last time we played. Intelligent play calling on second down led to several short 3rd down situations and I was actually worried going into the final quarter.

I think there was only one turnover in the whole game wasn't there?

Glad to see that James Jones is back and hopefully he can fill some of the void from Nelson's injury. Need to get Cobb fit too. He can't play with that injury everyweek - the guy can't reach up for the ball!!

What a start for Mariota. I fancy him to have another good week up against the crappy Browns next week too.

Bryant's injury will surely hurt the Cowboys offence too. Romo was throwing to running backs most of the game on Sunday.

I play in the streaming fantasy league on the NFL UK site. I thought about going in the one you set up but I've never done a proper draft before!

I'll be at Wembley too btw. Third year with a season ticket for me and my two mates. Got some plum seats this year right on the 50 yard line at the back of the first tier. More expensive but sod it thought we'd try it out instead of being up in the gods in the third tier.

Edited by The Bear

With so much experience between Manning and Coughlin I just don't understand how they managed to make such a mess of it. I feel you could be in a bit of trouble with Dez now out for a while though

Yeah could be a difficult month without Dez with the fixtures we have. Running game is going to have to be strong to make up for the lack of our big play receiver.

Haha punishment? At least you've won Super Bowls...

I fell in love with them during the 2011 season, that magical run to being super bowl champions, 3 seasons of disappointment since -_- This season has just been horrific so far, we play so well, then just screw it all up with silly mistakes that could easily be avoided

How did you guys get into American football? Seems like I'm missing out on a good sport, but I have switched it on before and I haven't a clue what's going on. So how can you get interested in it?

Found it easier getting into it knowing a couple of mates that were into it, as well as fantasy leagues.

How did you guys get into American football? Seems like I'm missing out on a good sport, but I have switched it on before and I haven't a clue what's going on. So how can you get interested in it?

Good old C4 back in the day, it's really not that difficult a sport to workout if you sit and watch a bit you should be able to pick it up.

All you really need to know to get a basic grasp is, you have 4 plays/Downs to make 10 yards, you can make yards and lose yards, so you may see 2nd and 6 that would mean they made 4 yards on the 1st play, you could lose yards via a sack for example and lose 7 yards, then it would 2nd and 17.

normally most teams tend to go for a field goal if in range on the 4th down or a punt if close to their own line(end zone) to clear it as far away as poss. As you turn possession over after a 4th down if you don't make your yards.

Kick off and punt returns are very similar to rugby only they often tend to take the ball deep towards the end zone meaning they have a lot of field to run into.

Both teams have an offensive team for possession of the ball, and a defensive team when out of possession.

The hardest part used to be all the flags, (yellow rags that the umpires throw onto the field if they seen a infringement) but with tv replays and the officials being miked up, every decision is clearly announced to the tv views and those in the stadium.

This maybe a really basic answer, or may confuse the hell out of you if you really have no starting point. But I enjoy it, as well as basket ball, you just have to put up with the fact an hour sport takes 3 or 4 hours.

• Like 1