Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCtotheprem

Manager next season

They call him Coco without a sense of irony based on his big white trainers and his substitutions being a joke.

What did they call Sousa, Sven, Levein, Adams, O'Neill, Taylor et al? 

Surely this remarkable ability to find nicknames for managers hasn't started with NFP.

What did they call Sousa, Sven, Levein, Adams, O'Neill, Taylor et al?

Surely this remarkable ability to find nicknames for managers hasn't started with NFP.

Oneill's nickname should have been the special one, before mourinho took it.

Barring Taylor and levein, the rest of those were likable managers.

How are Cardiff City doing?

True, they kept their manager but he wasn't their long term manager. He hadn't shown he could compete in the Championship with the current set of players, or that he had the respect of those players.

Four players from Cardiff's 12/13 squad play regularly this season. Is that 'keeping the squad together' like I'd like us to do? A bit perhaps. I'm hoping we'll have rather more than that though. Our promotion winning team was also a fair bit better than their promotion winning team. Worth remembering that.

Cardiff aren't exactly an example of stability either. They were a mess actually, with seemingly no clear plan or direction upon relegation.

All of that considered, I don't think they're a good example of what I'm suggesting which is to stick with the same approach that got us promoted last time.

To be fair, Cardiff employed a guy miles out of his depth in OGS. What posseses someone to seek out a manager from the Norweigan league only Vincent Tan could tell you.

We're all one managerial change away from it though if you make the wrong choice.

Barring Taylor and levein, the rest of those were likable managers.

I found Sousa more arrogant than anyone we've had here in my lifetime. One of the managers who thinks his record as a player should translate into an air of importance. Was it acceptable that he turned up to a first team game and stood on the touchline wearing jeans? Or completely alienate a squad with a pre-season akin with a sunday league team side?

It's slightly different to have a season of losses, long runs with out a win.

It's a more of a physiological impact. 

Pearson did a very good job of picking us up from our relegation to League 1. Similarly, he did a very good job stabilising Hull after relegation and on a budget. 

Ripped their squad apart. Signed tons of foreigners. Got rid of players like Mark Hudson who was a club captain and respected by all. Changed managers for fun (like Fulham). Totally the wrong approach.

What about Norwich? They seemed to have done reasonably well bar having a clueless chump as manager for a period of the season. 

I suppose, put simply, I'm trying to say that you rarely have the chance to appoint a manager who you know to be good enough to win promotion / stay up. Success tends to come from somebody being a 'good fit' for a club. But it's a lot easier to identify someone who isn't going to be good enough - they're the ones who have their chance and fail - and when clubs go ahead and appoint them anyway they almost invariably end up regretting it. So if we're going to be hopeful, we should direct our energies towards hoping that our side can establish itself in the PL someday, rather than towards hoping that Pearson will somehow buck all trends and prove himself to be a top quality manager.

And those fans who would like the club to realign its expectations to those they believe Pearson to be capable of achieving (i.e. being 'alright' in the second tier, and being damn grateful for it) must be the least ambitious mob of Leicester fans in the club's entire history. That's not the case with the bulk of those who back the manager, I know, but at the core there's an obsessive pro-Pearson element who were quite happy to believe he could lead us to a mid-table finish and now, proven wrong, can't bear to acknowledge it, and prefer to lash out at everyone else, accusing them of being unrealistic, ungrateful b***ards. And now we're beginning to see how far those people are willing to go in order to avoid having to hold their hands up and say - 'oh, alright, turns out he really wasn't up to the job after all'.

TOP QUALITY POST.... NOTHING MORE TO ADD

Ripped their squad apart. Signed tons of foreigners. Got rid of players like Mark Hudson who was a club captain and respected by all. Changed managers for fun (like Fulham). Totally the wrong approach.

What about Norwich? They seemed to have done reasonably well bar having a clueless chump as manager for a period of the season.

They stayed in the premiership longer than one season.

Mahrez, Kramaric, James, Cambiasso - they're all good enough starters in the Premiership

Schlupp, Moore, Drinkwater - need more time, game-time to develop of the coming year.

Thats 7 right there i'd happily have in the 11 come next season and in the Prem if we manage to get back.

I'd only be focussed on improving the side rather than replacing potential departures.

LB, CM, LW are the priority to me. 

I think youre way off here

Cambiasso will be long gone if we ever return to the Premiership. Hes a quality player but can barely make 90 mins now.

Its highly optimistic to think that Mahrez and Kramaric will tough out a championship season.

Moore and Drinkwater have barely featured this season so clearly arent rated at the top level, Moore is on loan in the championship just for gametime.

So of the 7 you would be happy to see in the Premier League, the reality is maybe ONE player is actually of any use and we even talk about him as being a weakness in the team.

Huge rebuilding job needed, no doubt about that.

I think youre way off here

Cambiasso will be long gone if we ever return to the Premiership. Hes a quality player but can barely make 90 mins now.

Its highly optimistic to think that Mahrez and Kramaric will tough out a championship season.

Moore and Drinkwater have barely featured this season so clearly arent rated at the top level, Moore is on loan in the championship just for gametime.

So of the 7 you would be happy to see in the Premier League, the reality is maybe ONE player is actually of any use and we even talk about him as being a weakness in the team.

Huge rebuilding job needed, no doubt about that.

That was a reply to "Tell me who you think from the current squad is good enough for a first 11"

As for Moore/Drinkwater/Kram/Mahrez et al.. a lot happens in two years, Drinkwater could solidify himself as an even stronger midfielder than before, and Liam Moore could become a rock at the back - you just don't know how their development is going to go even at this stage.

The same things were being said after we lost to Watford.

For that reason, I can't back a complete re-building, especially the '20' figure which was thrown around.

That was a reply to "Tell me who you think from the current squad is good enough for a first 11"

As for Moore/Drinkwater/Kram/Mahrez et al.. a lot happens in two years, Drinkwater could solidify himself as an even stronger midfielder than before, and Liam Moore could become a rock at the back - you just don't know how their development is going to go even at this stage.

The same things were being said after we lost to Watford.

For that reason, I can't back a complete re-building, especially the '20' figure which was thrown around.

So you have 6 that may be good enough. That leaves us 5 short of a first eleven IF all 6 come good. Are you honestly happy having no other cover who are premier quality?

We will back down almost as quick as this season (well I'm still hoping we will stop up).

We will have to rebuild the squad, into one that is capable of not only gaining promotion, but contains the nucleus of players good enough to move up to the next level. I just cannot envisage Pearson,as a man with the all round ability to do this, as has been proved this season.

All clubs have to move on, and we are no different. If we stand still, without change, then the club will stagnate. Who wants that?

Chopping and changing never works, whether its managers or players, players need time to bond to play well together (look at Burnley).

I don't think a massive re-build is needed if we are to go down, we have a good squad if we are to go down to the championship. 

A quality, creative number 10 and a solid centre back to partner huth/was are most important in my eyes. After that LB/LW.

They will be accusing you of having less knowledge than a 3 year old if you continue down this path.

Don't you know we have a premier quality eleven and we've just been unlucky?

Literally what?

So you have 6 that may be good enough. That leaves us 5 short of a first eleven IF all 6 come good. Are you honestly happy having no other cover who are premier quality?

We will back down almost as quick as this season (well I'm still hoping we will stop up).

Your whole stance is basing our current crop of players as not having premier quality. You're talking about something over a year away IF we get relegated and IF we get promoted again. Do you seriously think we won't be buying any players in the 3 (THREE) transfer windows till then?

There's a strong backbone of quality players which IMO we need to keep hold of: Kramaric, Mahrez, James, Schlupp - and players who may / may not step up in due time like Albrighton, Moore, Drinkwater, Lawrence etc.. We're not Blackpool.

This is a really basic concept that people need to grasp... they don't all need to be premier league quality. Burnley are a few points away from survival and don't have a squad full of "premier league players". Hull didn't last year either, or Palace.

What we are missing from the current group are a couple of quality players that can make the difference. You don't give Spurs and Arsenal a good game twice, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool if all of your players are crap. We're "in it every game" as the pundits keep saying.

Chopping and changing never works, whether its managers or players, players need time to bond to play well together (look at Burnley).

I don't think a massive re-build is needed if we are to go down, we have a good squad if we are to go down to the championship. 

A quality, creative number 10 and a solid centre back to partner huth/was are most important in my eyes. After that LB/LW.

Completely agree. If we're going to be keeping Schlupp as a LM, then a LB should be a priority along with a CM / Winger.

Team building and 'gelling' goes way beyond a complete overhaul of players and manager.

Guest MattP

That leaves us 5 short of a first eleven IF all 6 come good. Are you honestly happy having no other cover who are premier quality?

The way you talk it's like you believe the team who finishes 17th will have 11 players capable of playing in the Premier League and the one who finishes 18th will have none.

You could shove any of our eleven into another team and they'd be good enough to play in the Premier League, squad building for the season is a bit more complex than picking up 11 players who look good enough for the level, it's a combination of loads of things.

Archived