Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lifted*fox

Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich coming up. How will they do?

I can't see Bournemouth doing anything more than emulate Burnley, maybe with a bit more success, but they will struggle as there isn't much experience in their squad, nor behind the scenes, and I think this will be a bigger factor. We had money but were unwilling to pay over the odds and missed out on targets, they will also have to cope with fewer games and more scrutiny.

Watford will have an advantage that their owners are used to operating at a higher level and have "contacts" in other leagues. They will also be prepared to funnel their resources to Warford as survival will net more than Udinese and Granada winning their leagues, combined.

If they get their recruitment right, including the manager, then they could do a lot better than expected, but as we've seen with QPR buying in a load of players guarantees nothing they could also severely disrupt the squad and morale.

Norwich are probably the best bet for survival, they have the set-up from their last spell and some of the players, they know what it takes to stay up and how it feels to be relegated, they will also have the experience of recruiting players for the PL, I expect them to do good business in the transfer market.

I still think all 3 will struggle, none of them came close to Burnley's points total in the Championship let alone ours.

Ultimately though survival will come down 1 thing and 1 thing only, not signing any of Leroy Fer, Stephen Caulker or Joey Barton.

I still think all 3 will struggle, none of them came close to Burnley's points total in the Championship let alone ours.

You do know Bournemouth won the league with 90 points, Watford got 89. Let's not pretend that is all that far from Burnley's total of 93, shall we?

Bournemouth - very hard to call. I'm going to say they will go down on balance but they keep on exceeding expectations with a tight-knit group

Watford - think they will stay up by winning a lot of away games - very good on the break and that works in the PL

Norwich - 17th or 18th, fancy them to sneak survival

You do know Bournemouth won the league with 90 points, Watford got 89. Let's not pretend that is all that far from Burnley's total of 93, shall we?

Close is relative in football 3 points is a huge gap.

It is also exaggeration for effect, but the point remains that Burnley who were comfortably relegated would have won the championship this season with their points haul from 2013-14 and none of the promoted teams looked as convincing as Burnley in getting promoted.

Of course this doesn't mean they will struggle but they need to improve just to reach the level of Burnley.

It is also exaggeration for effect, but the point remains that Burnley who were comfortably relegated would have won the championship this season with their points haul from 2013-14 and none of the promoted teams looked as convincing as Burnley in getting promoted.

Of course this doesn't mean they will struggle but they need to improve just to reach the level of Burnley.

Is that true or was the championship more competitive last season? Its hard to judge things season to season, different teams different players, its a different league to the one we left.

A key to survival is pace as well as skill. Vardy and Schlupp may makes errors, but their raw pace scared defences and contributed to many chances being created and goals scored. Hence their assists total.

Looking at the play off final yesterday, the pedestrian manner of the game was horrendous. Reckon Hammond could have outrun most on show yesterday. If the promoted sides don't add pace to their teams, they will all struggle. (I accept that at 2-0 up Norwich were happy to slow the game down, changing their game plan). Being skilful is all well and good, but if you allow the opposition time to get back in position / shape, I can't see how they will score enough goals to stay up. Probably Bournemouth have the best chance.

Considering Burnley, QPR and City struggled this season and IMO were better teams than the three just coming up, I reckon Watford, Norwich and a surprise team may go down. Can Saints and Swansea repeat their great seasons. Think both got found out a bit last third of the season. Plus West Ham and Newcastle need to really strengthen. Will be interesting.

Well...

If I had to pick now (and I don't, but I will)...

I think Norwich will struggle-strong in the Champ, but not enough for the Prem, and accustomed to relegation: a less schizophrenic version of this year's QPR.

I think Watford will be 17th or 18th-they'll take a businesslike approach to recruitment, buy lots of goodish players who won't settle and will therefore struggle.

Bournemouth could go either way, but they play good football, will have a go at people and sometimes get hammered and sometimes cause upsets. Can see them doing a Southampton/Swansea, but could do a Blackpool. I reckon 13/14th for them.

Is that true or was the championship more competitive last season? Its hard to judge things season to season, different teams different players, its a different league to the one we left.

It is as good a judge as any. When you factor in how dominant we were that season it makes Burnley's total in second place more impressive. 

You could argue that the Championship was more competitive last season with 7-8 teams in the mix all season taking points off each other, but if you aren't able to exert your dominance over Ipswich, Brentford, Middlesbrough, Wolves, Derby, Forest, then you will struggle against Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke, Palace, West Brom etc

Even if you dominate that league, like we did, you will still struggle.

Cardiff struggled the year before us and were dominant, palace and hull survived with relative ease. Its impossible to judge the two seasons and gauge any kind of idea of the future abilities from points totals. If it were true, the champions would regularly finish above the runner ups and play off winners. Its the teams mentalities/character that will come into question in the Prem, can they adjust from winning most weeks to getting battered and still find the resolve.

I thought Bourmouth  would struggle  but someone said they have nothing to  lose. First time in the top flight so will enjoy it  and go all out. Whether they have the money to build a stronger team is another matter. Would not think their ground or fan base is huge but a day out there would be good if City play them in decent weather. but most likely December on a Tuesday night.

Watched  the  playoff final. Norwich  were comfortable winners without Middlesborough doing much both they and Watford will need to  improve.

Hopefully there will be at least 3 teams below City. Could  be any of those 3 plus Necastle, Villa, Sunderland and West Brom. But I said that last August and doubt we can pull off another Great Escape.

Think Bournemouth (unbelievable manager and rich owner) and Watford (half of Serie A will join on loan) will survive but Norwich will go down but in 18th

We'll have our work cut out to avoid second season syndrome

They changed the rules after they did that didn't they? can only have 5 loans is it now? 

Cardiff struggled the year before us and were dominant, palace and hull survived with relative ease. Its impossible to judge the two seasons and gauge any kind of idea of the future abilities from points totals. If it were true, the champions would regularly finish above the runner ups and play off winners. Its the teams mentalities/character that will come into question in the Prem, can they adjust from winning most weeks to getting battered and still find the resolve.

Cardiff got 87 points they appeared dominant because everyone else was shit, but they really weren't that good.

Hull had recent PL experience.

Palace did very well after sacking Holloway.

It is no guarantee, but looking at the club's coming up they've had a good season in the championship but not a great one.

Sky Sports News HQ@SkySportsNewsHQ 5m5 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sky sources - Slavisa Jokanovic will not be head coach of Watford next season

Sky Sports News HQ@SkySportsNewsHQ 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING: We understand Watford are in talks with former Atletico Madrid coach Quique Flores.

He could well turn out to be their longest serving manager!!... 3 months!!?

If Jokanovic has been let to because of compensation disagreements it's pathetic that they couldn't agree that with a man who has just guided them into and the PL and almost to a title next season. Both parties must surely have been keen to stay working with each other and it makes you wonder how if all went so badly wrong in contract negotiations!

Guest seanfox778

West Ham qualified for the Europa league qualifiers via fair play thing. Could be huge, normally teams struggle in the league when playing regularly on a Thursday. Good for us.

Or, Bournemouth's total of 90 point would have won them the Championship in 2012-13. And in 2011-12. And 2010-11. I grant you they would've struggled into 3rd place in 2009-10, what with Newcastle getting 102 points again. But we go back to 2008-9 they would've won it on GD from Wolves. 2007-8? Won that then. Also would win 2006-07. But fair enough, not 2005-6 or 2004-5. But in the last 10 years, 90 points wins you the Championship 6 times and gets you promoted  automatically 8 times. So I think you're off the mark to suggest or imply the top sides have somehow struggled(?) their way to promotion but having merely a okay to good(ish) season.

Our total and Burnley's total from last year are outside of the norm. Using that as a yardstick to performance in the Premier League is also neither here not there. As I said, 90 points wins you the Championship in 2012-13. Cardiff who did win it with 87 points were immediately relegated. Hull, who got 79 points in 2nd and stayed up the following season would drop into the Playoffs.

Same for 2011-12. 90 points wins you the league and pushes Reading (who went down the following year) into 2nd and Southampton (who stayed up) into 3rd. Therefore to suggest that because 3 points is a huge gap (which over the course of a 46 game season, 1 win is huge? Really?) that these teams may struggle because they couldn't match the points totals of the top 2 from last year seems a fairly baffling thought process to me.

Firstly, none of them will do better than what their fans reckon.  Secondly, all will probably do better than most pundits predict.

I think that they will all have decent runs of form during the season with Norwich probably best placed to "do well".  I think Bournemouth will ultimately go down but will give it a right good go.

During the premier league era (23 seasons) all 3 promoted teams have been relegated in their first season in precisely ONE campaign.  All 3 have survived just twice.  This season was the first year in 7 where two promoted teams were relegated.  The previous 6 saw either one or none relegated (QPR, Norwich and Swansea all survived in 2011/12).

It's going to be another close one.  Bournemouth to go.  I don't want to mention us so two from Norwich, Watford, WBA, Villa (if Benteke leaves), West Ham, Sunderland and Newcastle.  That's the mini league we're in - games against those are ALL 6 pointers.

Archived