Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vardinio'sCat

Glenelgfox - A Fighting Fox

To all - thanks again for all your support and well wishes. Big thanks to Alan Thompson and the Mercury for both the initial story and the follow up. My biggist hurdle / issue re getting to the UK is not only my health but also covering enough $$$ not only for fares and accommodation but I will need some bigger $$$ re insurance to cover fares and accommodation changes as well as some limited cover re my health. BUT being terminally ill / pre-existing condition my options are limited and super expensive so not sure I can afford the whole lot for me and Donna to travel even though both articles are correct about me not being a charity case and living comfortably. In normal circumstances I would have travelled no probs without any help etc but this is a unique situation. I am a little disappointed that the LCFC has not been in contact directly or via the Mercury. I think my situation is unique and over the years have spent lots of $$$ via merchandise with the club. Any how as I have said they must get lots of requests daily so all good. I have been warmed and perked up though by the offers from so many City fans re tickets, tours if I can get to Leicester. See what happens but it is unlikely at this point.

I hope more than anything you make it to the KP.  Having lost my mom to cancer when i was a young 'un and watched my sister battle cancer recently, your story touched me. Keep fighting and keep battling.  Cancer sucks. Maybe a trip to Madrid in the fall will be on docket as well.  Get well bud.

Bugger, how frustrating.  :(  I think there is momentum with this, because of the Mercury's fine effort, but quite how we could push things forward I'm not quite sure. I'm going to sleep on it. I thought about standing outside the training ground handing out photocopies of your brilliant original post last week, but the poster who wrote to the club and the Mercury smashed it, thankfully.

I suppose the Club do get plenty of deserving requests, and the articles did emphasise the limitation as being more of a health question, so the Club aren't to know this latest twist. The Mercury story did get a pretty big response, I think, which is probably why the Mercury wanted to follow it up with you.

My mum got flown back from the Alps with a broken pelvis 20 years ago, and even then it would have been massively expensive without the insurance people involved.

Thinking cap officially donned.

My GF has suggested crowdfunding it. I'm not that tech savvy, but I'll look into it tonite.

I might start a new topic to draw on the collective wisdom, but I'm going to do some research first.

I thought that maybe any excess raised (if at all, I appreciate this is jumping the gun a bit!) might go to a charity of Tony's choice. Getting the detail right is really important, imho.

My GF has suggested crowdfunding it. I'm not that tech savvy, but I'll look into it tonite.

I might start a new topic to draw on the collective wisdom, but I'm going to do some research first.

I thought that maybe any excess raised (if at all, I appreciate this is jumping the gun a bit!) might go to a charity of Tony's choice. Getting the detail right is really important, imho.

Good on ya buddy

Hope you get something sorted

Up theFoxes

I was going to suggest crowdfunding too

Guest bss9401

If the squad go on a jolly to Thailand again in the close season then I'm sure that a decent friendly could be organised in Oz. With our vastly improved profile why not? Come on Schwartzer, get on the blower!!

The bt one doesn't  take any commission 

http://www.btplc.com/mydonate/findoutmore/

A fundraising service that doesn’t take commission?

...Absolutely. Many other fundraising services take a little slice of every donation they get. It may only be 2% here or 5% there, but that adds up to a lot when you’re trying to raise cash for a good cause. That’s where MyDonate is different. We don’t take a thing. Not even an itsy bitsy penny. No set up fees, no commission. Apart from the fees charged by the card companies (a 15p flat rate fee for a debit card transaction of any size or a 1.3% credit card charge), all the money goes straight to charity. And that’s got to be a good thing.

How does every tenner grow?

Say you wanted to raise money by sitting in a bath of baked beans. On MyDonate it’s simple to set up a fundraising page and anyone can visit your page to make donations to your baked-bean challenge, safely and securely. But unlike some fundraising services, every penny would go straight to the charity of your choice (apart from a tiny fee taken by credit and debit card companies).

BT0064-07-Give-Freely-Find-Out-More-Jour

How does MyDonate work for charities?

As a charity, it costs nothing to register with MyDonate. Compare that to Virgin Money Giving who’d want a one-off fee of £100 + VAT, or JustGiving who’d want you to cough up £15 a month. With no set-up fees, MyDonate is a no brainer. And don’t get us started on the commission. Again, unlike Virgin Money Giving and JustGiving who take up to 5%, we take nothing. In fact, with the addition of Gift Aid, you’d end up giving even more.

BT0064-07-Give-Freely-Find-Out-More-Tabl

Hi all,

Again to start, again thanks so, so much for everything everyone has done to date re the support, well wishes and offers. After being away from home for the past few days I have had time to think about all sorts of things - life in general in a nutshell.

I am so humbled by the generosity and kindness of complete strangers re my situation as mapped out on here and subsequently by the Leicester Mercury and Facebook. I have come to the reality that despite domestic travel within Australia which is manageble in my situation with some risk, I will not ever be in a health situation that will allow me to travel to the UK.

With that in mind I ask all of you to please cease any fundraising efforts etc. There are far, far more worse off children and adults both health and financial wise than me and in reflection of all that you have tried to do for me, it has left me not only humbled and honoured but also embarrassed and feeling undeserving given the life I have led to accept any of what has been suggested or offered when there are as I said far, far more deserving of your time and efforts.

I have been emotionally overwhelmed by the response from the worldwide Leicester City family and I am struggling daily to respond to the messages of support etc. I try and to date have been succesfull I think in answering everyone who messages me.

PLEASE understand I feel selfish in having the spotlight shone on me but am grateful so many care. I am going to remove myself from all forms of social media including this forum for a number of reasons but the main one being the frustration of not being able to tick the last wish on my bucket list yet being so close. This forum and facebook will will tease me and haunt me forever if I stay on them and I need the emotional stability to fight my cancer as I owe it to my family and close friends in this very difficult time. I shall go back to following City from afar but with the same intensity and passion I have had all my life but I need to do this alone and in my space now in the time I have left. Please do not feel cheated etc. that your efforts have been wasted as the fact this topic, the Mercury stories and the new found foxes friends via here and facebook have given me so much joy and positivity recently that words cannot express to do it justice

Again thank you all so much and in closing very speical thanks to wattolcfc and Vardinio'sCat for all you have done and also to Alan Thompson at the Mercury - I can never repay what you have tied to mdo for me.

Bye all and just remember - we are almost in dreamland (hopefully) and no matter what happens we will all be Leicester til we die!

Cheers and bye all.

Tony Skeffington - Glenelgfox

PS - My only real sadness and disappointment since my story broke is the club I so passionately support have had no contact with me. I understand as I have said previously they must get all sorts of requests etc. and from far more deserving cases than me howevernot even an offer if I got to Leicester of a stadium tour - not sure I would be the first that was offered to however that is something I or you cannot control but it doesn't take away in any shape or form my passion for the LCFC. That is life, you get some good hands in the card game and some average one and trust me I have had both!

Thanks for the message which hopefully won't remain the last one coming directly from you.

All the best with the continuing efforts of improving your life and keep fighting that shit illness called cancer.

May the club at least get back to you - or else, we'll now really have to win the league! :D

You would think somehow the club could organise some sort of Skype stadium tour or players offering their best wishes even in some sort of video.

Or what about someone at the club either gives a live match day experience or creates a PoV video next match day ?

All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just an update. Back on here and on FB so thanks again for all the positive support despite a couple of nasty messages sent by anonymous key board warriors. My health is average at the moment and survived a near fatal reaction to chemo last week and face some unknowns re ongoing treatment which may not be an option so my time could be very limited howeverI beat odds last year and I am determined to do it again (well at least until I see the end of this remarkable season!)

I posted the following on my facebook page a short time ago so please read it and hopefully you will all take it in the context it was meant to be. Apologies if you think I am being selfish?

----------

Rant of the day (sadly). Had to get this off my chest so sorry if you don't agree.

To all my fellow LCFC friends - thanks so much for the 99 percent positive thoughts etc. after the Mercury Newspaper articles but I must say I am very disappointed / deflated with no response from the club itself re my goal of getting to see the Foxes play.

As from the beginning I never asked for or expected charity yet so many of you offered to fund raise etc., provide corporate tickets which was so generous and humbling. However despite the Mercury and some others on here and via Foxestalk approaching the club on more than one occasion I have not heard a thing? Surely if I could make the trip at my cost from the other side of the world and in my "unique" situation, an offer of a Stadium Tour, Training Ground Tour plus hopefully meet a few players was not too much to ask? The club did send a response recently to one person that they had been in regular contact with me since the article but that is not correct. When a friend here in Oz wrote to the club in March 2015, I did receive a nice supporting letter from the club but that is it to date. No one has heard or been contacted by the LCFC since the Mercury article re anything.

Anyhow my dream of a trip has 99.9% ended so I am still hopeful of now trying to organise a signed current shirt to get framed back here so I can put up with some recently purchased and framed LCFC art work prints at home. Not sure how I can go about this so do I need to contact them directly or can I rally a bit of support from my new big Foxes family to assist to see if that helps?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the club gets lots of requests etc. from people in similar positions particularly kids however I have followed the club with passion and supported it financially over the years re merchandise I don't want you all to think I am ungrateful or greedy. I will still be Leicester til I die!

----------

Cheers all and cannot wait for Sunday!

Hi all just an update. Back on here and on FB so thanks again for all the positive support despite a couple of nasty messages sent by anonymous key board warriors. My health is average at the moment and survived a near fatal reaction to chemo last week and face some unknowns re ongoing treatment which may not be an option so my time could be very limited howeverI beat odds last year and I am determined to do it again (well at least until I see the end of this remarkable season!)

I posted the following on my facebook page a short time ago so please read it and hopefully you will all take it in the context it was meant to be. Apologies if you think I am being selfish?

----------

Rant of the day (sadly). Had to get this off my chest so sorry if you don't agree.

To all my fellow LCFC friends - thanks so much for the 99 percent positive thoughts etc. after the Mercury Newspaper articles but I must say I am very disappointed / deflated with no response from the club itself re my goal of getting to see the Foxes play.

As from the beginning I never asked for or expected charity yet so many of you offered to fund raise etc., provide corporate tickets which was so generous and humbling. However despite the Mercury and some others on here and via Foxestalk approaching the club on more than one occasion I have not heard a thing? Surely if I could make the trip at my cost from the other side of the world and in my "unique" situation, an offer of a Stadium Tour, Training Ground Tour plus hopefully meet a few players was not too much to ask? The club did send a response recently to one person that they had been in regular contact with me since the article but that is not correct. When a friend here in Oz wrote to the club in March 2015, I did receive a nice supporting letter from the club but that is it to date. No one has heard or been contacted by the LCFC since the Mercury article re anything.

Anyhow my dream of a trip has 99.9% ended so I am still hopeful of now trying to organise a signed current shirt to get framed back here so I can put up with some recently purchased and framed LCFC art work prints at home. Not sure how I can go about this so do I need to contact them directly or can I rally a bit of support from my new big Foxes family to assist to see if that helps?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the club gets lots of requests etc. from people in similar positions particularly kids however I have followed the club with passion and supported it financially over the years re merchandise I don't want you all to think I am ungrateful or greedy. I will still be Leicester til I die!

----------

Cheers all and cannot wait for Sunday!

Keep fighting buddy! It amazes me that you having received a recent response from the club. Maybe the wrong people have been contacted?

From the clubs point of view maybe they feel it sets a dangerous precedent? I don't know but I still feel that someone on foxes talk or anyone that is connected to the club could sort something out? Even if we reach out to some of the players. If clowns like that spencer you tuber can meet Mahrez and play FIFA with him why can't this guy!?

If you are well enough to travel Tony I'd be happy to start a just giving fund to raise the funds to get over here. Then hopefully when you are here to club can sort a meet and greet etc out for you- or has this been tried before?

Archived